Enough with Tournaments

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

GeorgePatton #1 Posted 12 May 2017 - 02:02 PM

газета

• -Community Ace-
  • 7716 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

So - I've been reading a LOT of drama surrounding tournaments and people bickering over rules and blaming Marco/Mars for people not participating, etc. Here's what I've picked out from between the lines and something I think might be useful...

What People Want:

People want PvP action free from the bots. I agree with that - bots are annoying. People also want the rules to make them happy - I'll admit (and have admitted) that I don't want to play in any of the currently running/getting started tournaments because I don't like the rules.

What We Could Do:

I think rather than running tournaments which require a lot of back and forth with administrators and clan leadership, etc which generally descends into madness because - let's face it - nobody here is actually neutral we should have times throughout the week where we run training rooms at set tiers. Anyone can join with the right tier aircraft. Training room creator calls the room "Tier XYZ PvP" and you join up. Creator puts him or herself on a team, the next guy/girl on the opposite team, the next on his/her team, etc until the room is full. When the room is full, battle starts.

What Would the Rules Look Like:

There wouldn't need to be many rules - just placing the proper name on the room and respecting the team balance (NavyField worked with an honor principle too and it worked very well from my experience over there!). Oh, and don't make a same-tiered room if there's a room that isn't full. Other than that, I think it would be simple to have a no-rules beyond game rules system.

Cheers!
Glenn

Click the Pictures to Visit My YouTube Channel.

_Warchylde_ #2 Posted 12 May 2017 - 02:17 PM

First Lieutenant

• 10944 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

I've actually been thinking along the same lines, George.

In anticipation of the community  tournament possibly being stillborn, I've been talking to some of the Warhawks leadership about the possibility of hosting scrimmage nights from time to time, where anyone can show up and fly against us, purely casual and for fun.

This won't replace having an actual Wargamng sponsored/administered event, but anything is better than flying against bots all the time.

Edited by _Warchylde_, 12 May 2017 - 02:18 PM.

"Shee, you guys are so unhip, it's a wonder your bums don't fall off!"

- Zaphod Beeblebrox

MARS_REVENANT #3 Posted 12 May 2017 - 02:18 PM

Major

• 34273 battles
  • [SICK] SICK

So basically you want PVP with randomized teams, and you want someone to sit there and wait for random people to show up and fill up the room.

And with 500 people on per night you see this as working as compared to an organized tournament where you have dedicated people showing up on scheduled dates and times.

Drama is part of the competition... look at any major sports team, there is always team rivalry... that is what makes it fun.  The Social Justice "Worriers" are the ones that complain about Drama when all they need to do is shut up and get in the competition.

You seem to be the only one complaining about the rules, again, the rules that were voted on by the people wanting to participate.  I'm not sure if you were brought up where the squeaky wheel always got the grease, but I have never been one to go along with minority special interest groups.

Honestly, we have had community run tournaments for AR 6, AR7, AR8, A Successful Community run Clan Wars, and then the Alpha Tournament I ran at the beginning of 2017, now with the Beta Tournament scheduled to proceed you post this drivel "ENOUGH WITH TOURNAMENTS"???

The train is leaving with or without you, it may not be heading to your preferred destination, it is up to you if you still want to take a trip, or stay where you are.

Edited by MARS_REVENANT, 12 May 2017 - 02:20 PM.

I never lose; either I win or I learn.

GeorgePatton #4 Posted 12 May 2017 - 02:24 PM

газета

• -Community Ace-
  • 7716 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

View Post_Warchylde_, on 12 May 2017 - 09:17 AM, said:

In anticipation of the community  tournament possibly being stillborn, I've been talking to some of the Warhawks leadership about the possibility of hosting scrimmage nights from time to time, where anyone can show up and fly against us, purely casual and for fun.

This won't replace having an actual Wargamng sponsored/administered event, but anything is better than flying against bots all the time.

Yeah, I definitely want to see some tournaments run by Wargaming - there's a much less room for drama when they run stuff as they're obviously not involved with clans. I'd like to participate in scrimmages with WHAWK, so I appreciate that idea! I would also like to have some PvP that isn't attached to a particular clan specifically because when it's a clan vs clan thing it really limits the participation simply because there's only so many teams a clan can field. If the hosting clan can field 30 players that's two battle rooms for all the people that want to line up to fight them. That means there's not going to be much PvP for the people that have to wait. With the scheduled PvP nights, anybody can join any room and the rooms can be expanded once they fill up by creating new rooms and filling them up. 

Clan vs clan scrimmages would obviously still have a place as we do like to fly with our buddies against other groups of people and their buddies!

Cheers!
Glenn

GouIdy #5 Posted 12 May 2017 - 02:31 PM

First Lieutenant

• 18609 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
How about enough talk from people that just like to talk about tournaments but not participate.

GeorgePatton #6 Posted 12 May 2017 - 02:34 PM

газета

• -Community Ace-
  • 7716 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

View PostMARS_REVENANT, on 12 May 2017 - 09:18 AM, said:

So basically you want PVP with randomized teams, and you want someone to sit there and wait for random people to show up and fill up the room. Yep! Thanks for reading my post!

And with 500 people on per night you see this as working as compared to an organized tournament where you have dedicated people showing up on scheduled dates and times. Yes, I see this working if we schedule a couple nights a week and spread the word.

Drama is part of the competition... look at any major sports team, there is always team rivalry... that is what makes it fun.  The Social Justice "Worriers" are the ones that complain about Drama when all they need to do is shut up and get in the competition. Sure, there's always some drama - the biggest issue is keeping the administration out of the drama, which is rather hard to do when everyone is invested in the competition in one way or another and nobody is truly neutral.

You seem to be the only one complaining about the rules, again, the rules that were voted on by the people wanting to participate.  I'm not sure if you were brought up where the squeaky wheel always got the grease, but I have never been one to go along with minority special interest groups. I'm not the only one complaining about the rules - just one of the only ones saying up-front that that's my reason for not participating in a particular event.

Honestly, we have had community run tournaments for AR 6, AR7, AR8, A Successful Community run Clan Wars, and then the Alpha Tournament I ran at the beginning of 2017, now with the Beta Tournament scheduled to proceed you post this drivel "ENOUGH WITH TOURNAMENTS"??? Yep - I personally don't see a significant return for all the trouble people are going to for something as simple as getting some PvP matches without bots. It's my opinion that all of the bickering and back-and-forthing that's going on here on the forums in the threads trying to set these tournaments up is direct evidence that people aren't getting what they want out of the experience. If they were, they wouldn't be complaining. 

The train is leaving with or without you, it may not be heading to your preferred destination, it is up to you if you still want to take a trip, or stay where you are. Thanks for the invitation to ride your train, I'd rather stay here. I'm fine using regular battles and the occasional scrimmage with friends in other clans. I don't understand the need for people to prove their worth in highly regulated scenarios that are in no way indicative of how an actual programmed Clan Wars system would play out. If that floats their boat, more power to them! It's not for everyone, and I know it's not for me. 

MARS_REVENANT #7 Posted 12 May 2017 - 02:43 PM

Major

• 34273 battles
  • [SICK] SICK

View PostGeorgePatton, on 12 May 2017 - 09:34 AM, said:

I'm fine using regular battles

Yep.

Disgruntled_WoWP_Vet #8 Posted 12 May 2017 - 03:26 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 3877 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

The ship has sailed for WG sponsored tournaments. Unless they program in a "Special Battles" mode like tanks, or this new 2.0 mode has more functionality than a random battle, there will be no more WG sponsored tournaments. The devs hoping into a training room for funsies is the best we will see.

So all we have is each other. Clown makeup and all.

You either die a Community Ace, or live long enough to get SICK and become a Community Clown. 

Jaguardian #9 Posted 12 May 2017 - 03:41 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 20067 battles
Training room was fine as a temporary fix until WG implemented "Special Battles", but as the name states, it is set up for "Training".  To be honest, unless I am actually training, I don't ever want to enter a training room again!

Disgruntled_WoWP_Vet #10 Posted 12 May 2017 - 05:26 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 3877 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostJaguardian, on 12 May 2017 - 10:41 AM, said:

Training room was fine as a temporary fix until WG implemented "Special Battles", but as the name states, it is set up for "Training".  To be honest, unless I am actually training, I don't ever want to enter a training room again!

We all know that temporary fix is all we are ever going to get. We're -=years=- past release and the game only exists because of Tanks.
You either die a Community Ace, or live long enough to get SICK and become a Community Clown. 

TeamTerrible #11 Posted 12 May 2017 - 05:48 PM

First Lieutenant

• 46065 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

The game does need some form of competition mode

A lack of active players though.... perhaps only 5 on 5 min to start with the option to apply more per side depending on how many show up for both teams

Any non tagged jabrony could find a team to shack up with but like Tanks the team gets no points other than the win/loss

Some clans can only commit to a certain time and even then you may see a no-show or pc malfunction .... it happens...

losttwo #12 Posted 12 May 2017 - 06:09 PM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 29924 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

I say enough with the idea of chastising people that do not compete, chose not to compete or even hold tournaments.

I applaud anyone that decides to host any form of MUCH NEEDED COMPETITION.

There are some people that can not participate for what ever reason they chose.

It should be left at that.

I do find it ridiculous that Wargaming will not SPONSOR any of the player created tournaments

or at the very least create a FREE training room environment.

Way to support your game Wargaming....could be why I have not  spent any money on this game in a very long time.

You don't want to support it, why should we.

MARS_REVENANT #13 Posted 12 May 2017 - 06:19 PM

Major

• 34273 battles
  • [SICK] SICK

View Postlosttwo, on 12 May 2017 - 01:09 PM, said:

I say enough with the idea of chastising people that do not compete, chose not to compete or even hold tournaments.

Those people are not being chastised, the people that whine and moan about having nothing to do, or about the administrator involved, or about t nit-picking rules are the ones being chastised.

We now have an acceptable administrator, and something to do, that was voted on by the community.  No excuses for those people, although, I'm sure they will dream something up.

20thCenturyLtd #14 Posted 12 May 2017 - 06:27 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 18543 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostGouIdy, on 12 May 2017 - 08:31 AM, said:

How about enough talk from people that just like to talk about tournaments but not participate.

Amen.

Personnel Officer, Knights of Dracarys

Please PM me if interested in applying or for more information.

Mackunaima #15 Posted 12 May 2017 - 06:54 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 20718 battles
  • [WHAWK] WHAWK

View PostGouIdy, on 12 May 2017 - 11:31 AM, said:

You don't..

Just..

Don't..

Don't..

How dare you?

"Certainty of death. Small chance of success. What are we waiting for?" - Gimli

Caecias #16 Posted 12 May 2017 - 07:25 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 8882 battles
  • [-DOW-] -DOW-

View PostGeorgePatton, on 12 May 2017 - 09:02 AM, said:

What People Want:

People want PvP action free from the bots. I agree with that - bots are annoying.

Cheers!
Glenn

Full stop!  This.  x10 ^ 100

View Post_Warchylde_, on 12 May 2017 - 09:17 AM, said:

This is how we approach it at DOW.  We organize casual scrimmages with other clans using Tier V-VII aircraft for a duration of about two hours.  It works out well as there is no stress, builds friendships between clans, and remains competitive at just the right intensity.

mnbv_fockewulfe #17 Posted 12 May 2017 - 09:59 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 4563 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

View PostCaecias, on 12 May 2017 - 07:25 PM, said:

Full stop!  This.  x10 ^ 100

This is how we approach it at DOW.  We organize casual scrimmages with other clans using Tier V-VII aircraft for a duration of about two hours.  It works out well as there is no stress, builds friendships between clans, and remains competitive at just the right intensity.

I can do better.

52C5

Dat nose

knows does doe

mnbv_fockewulfe.png

Caecias #18 Posted 15 May 2017 - 06:44 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 8882 battles
  • [-DOW-] -DOW-

View Postmnbv_fockewulfe, on 12 May 2017 - 04:59 PM, said:

I can do better.

52C5

Much!! Thanks!

Noreaga #19 Posted 17 May 2017 - 07:38 PM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 8732 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
Just make it open level games T1-10 1 hour a night. promise full games and interesting forum reading.

Nimis obnoxii curare

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users