PING!

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

Jack_Pelter_The_Chicken #1 Posted 11 May 2017 - 07:05 PM

Senior Airman

• 30 battles

Im sure this topic has been covered many times,however im new.

I was just wondering if anybody can explain to me what ping is,and how I can get rid of it or reduce it!

I ve been looking on tintanet,however this has just confused me even more.

I live in the UK and I know that doesn't help.

I have standard broadband,with speeds of around 10mb,with excellent signal strength

I play on a desktop computer amd fx quad core cpu,with 8 gig of ram,ati 6850 graphics card with 2 gig

I can usually play 1 game before,the ping kicks in,my packages then goes 100% and it then throws me off the server.

if anybody can help It  would be much appreciated.

many thx jack

GhostPrime #2 Posted 11 May 2017 - 07:14 PM

Community Coordinator

• Administrator
  • 19 battles
  • [WGA-B] WGA-B

Hello!  Please send in a ticket to support. They have a tool that could check your connection, and make sure that you have exceptions in your firewalls. 

na.wargaming.net/support

Do you have many other devices connected to the internet all at the same time? 

Please read the WOWP Game and Forum rules.
Forum Rules - Game Rules - EULA - TOS
Find us on Facebook!

Psicko23 #3 Posted 11 May 2017 - 07:14 PM

First Lieutenant

• 14 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-

In short, Ping is an echo protocol that sends a message to the server that you are connecting to and the message comes back. Ping is the round trip time it takes to go from your computer to the server and back. The greater the distance to the server the greater ping. I think also the more hops the connection has to make, causes the ping to be greater.

Im wondering if internet speeds also has to do with it. I have crappy DSL(that's all I can get in my apt) that I probably get 25-30 mb connection and I get about 110-120ish ping, but can jump up. I did a speed test for a server in Washington DC, and I get 79 ping. My buddy who also used to play this game in the same small town I live in has 100 mb broadband and his ping is in the 80's to 90's on average.

EDIT- Are you playing on wifi, or do you have an Ethernet cable hooked to your modem? that makes a big difference. Also if you have wireless stuff like a mouse and a keyboard, that can also create some lag. It wont change your ping, but it will help.

Edited by Psicko23, 11 May 2017 - 07:21 PM.

Jack_Pelter_The_Chicken #4 Posted 11 May 2017 - 07:39 PM

Senior Airman

• 30 battles

View PostGhostPrime, on 11 May 2017 - 07:14 PM, said:

Hello!  Please send in a ticket to support. They have a tool that could check your connection, and make sure that you have exceptions in your firewalls.

na.wargaming.net/support

Do you have many other devices connected to the internet all at the same time?

thankyou for your reply ghost

ill get one of those tickets and try it!

yes two other people are usually on the internet,however when im on my own I still get the ping,it doesn't seem to matter

Jack_Pelter_The_Chicken #5 Posted 11 May 2017 - 07:49 PM

Senior Airman

• 30 battles

View PostPsicko23, on 11 May 2017 - 07:14 PM, said:

In short, Ping is an echo protocol that sends a message to the server that you are connecting to and the message comes back. Ping is the round trip time it takes to go from your computer to the server and back. The greater the distance to the server the greater ping. I think also the more hops the connection has to make, causes the ping to be greater.

Im wondering if internet speeds also has to do with it. I have crappy DSL(that's all I can get in my apt) that I probably get 25-30 mb connection and I get about 110-120ish ping, but can jump up. I did a speed test for a server in Washington DC, and I get 79 ping. My buddy who also used to play this game in the same small town I live in has 100 mb broadband and his ping is in the 80's to 90's on average.

EDIT- Are you playing on wifi, or do you have an Ethernet cable hooked to your modem? that makes a big difference. Also if you have wireless stuff like a mouse and a keyboard, that can also create some lag. It wont change your ping, but it will help.

many thx psick for your help

yes im on wireless,not Ethernet,i have tried plugging cable in but computer didn't recognise it!

I too, get around 110 120 ping when I can play ok

I suppose I could move and try the eu server(although I have made a lot of good friends on this server)however I did play tanks on it,and had the same problem with ping.

would putting my settings lower improve it? they are on auto at the moment.

Jack_Pelter_The_Chicken #6 Posted 11 May 2017 - 07:50 PM

Senior Airman

• 30 battles
both my mouse and keyboard are usb

GouIdy #7 Posted 11 May 2017 - 08:08 PM

First Lieutenant

• 6 battles

I really think your biggest issue is that you are using a wireless connection. When you plug in the ethernet cable right click on the network icon in your task bar then select open network & sharing. Then click on set up a new connection or network & follow the steps.

Edited by GouIdy, 11 May 2017 - 08:08 PM.

Psicko23 #8 Posted 11 May 2017 - 08:26 PM

First Lieutenant

• 14 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-
I don't think lowering the settings of the game would help with ping. Could help with FPS. If your computer didn't recognize the Ethernet cable, it could be the cable itself, the ports, the Ethernet is not enabled, or something is wrong with the drivers. First try the different ports on your modem and if you happen to have more than one on your computer. If it is disabled, you have to go into device manager and go into network adapters. if you see a computer icon with an arrow on it, it means that it is not enabled. right click on that, and click enable. If you need extra help, google "Ethernet cable not detected for (enter whatever OS you have)." Other issue could be that the drivers for the Ethernet aren't working. You would have to download new drivers, delete the old ones and re-install the new drivers. There might be some other causes and solutions, but those are the only ones that are popping up in my head.

Jack_Pelter_The_Chicken #9 Posted 11 May 2017 - 08:59 PM

Senior Airman

• 30 battles

View PostGouIdy, on 11 May 2017 - 08:08 PM, said:

I really think your biggest issue is that you are using a wireless connection. When you plug in the ethernet cable right click on the network icon in your task bar then select open network & sharing. Then click on set up a new connection or network & follow the steps.

went into device manager,found Ethernet controller,it hadn't been enabled,tried to enable it,got the message  NO DRIVER  FILES ARE REQUIRED

THX FOR YOU TIME GOULD

Jack_Pelter_The_Chicken #10 Posted 11 May 2017 - 09:05 PM

Senior Airman

• 30 battles

unning Psicko23, on 11 May 2017 - 08:26 PM, said:

I don't think lowering the settings of the game would help with ping. Could help with FPS. If your computer didn't recognize the Ethernet cable, it could be the cable itself, the ports, the Ethernet is not enabled, or something is wrong with the drivers. First try the different ports on your modem and if you happen to have more than one on your computer. If it is disabled, you have to go into device manager and go into network adapters. if you see a computer icon with an arrow on it, it means that it is not enabled. right click on that, and click enable. If you need extra help, google "Ethernet cable not detected for (enter whatever OS you have)." Other issue could be that the drivers for the Ethernet aren't working. You would have to download new drivers, delete the old ones and re-install the new drivers. There might be some other causes and solutions, but those are the only ones that are popping up in my head.

HELLO PSICK  running windows 7

tried running driver update( after seeing code 28 on Ethernet controller) it says there no drivers

available

thx again for your time

GouIdy #11 Posted 11 May 2017 - 11:08 PM

First Lieutenant

• 6 battles
You may need to go your motherboard manufacturers website to the get updated drivers for your onboard ethernet . Another thing is when you do get the driver loaded if you are using a wifi dongle you should unplug it from your computer.

Psicko23 #12 Posted 12 May 2017 - 01:56 AM

First Lieutenant

• 14 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-

is the Ethernet thing fixed?

Jack_Pelter_The_Chicken #13 Posted 12 May 2017 - 03:47 PM

Senior Airman

• 30 battles

View PostPsicko23, on 12 May 2017 - 01:56 AM, said:

is the Ethernet thing fixed?

NO psick

did a very silly thing,uninstalled the old drivers(which weren't there!)so I could install the new drivers,now my Ethernet controller has completely disappeared from device manger!!

so definitely not fixed!

what needs fixing is my brain!

GhostPrime #14 Posted 12 May 2017 - 03:51 PM

Community Coordinator

• Administrator
  • 19 battles
  • [WGA-B] WGA-B

View PostGouIdy, on 11 May 2017 - 03:08 PM, said:

You may need to go your motherboard manufacturers website to the get updated drivers for your onboard ethernet . Another thing is when you do get the driver loaded if you are using a wifi dongle you should unplug it from your computer.

View PostJack_Pelter_The_Chicken, on 12 May 2017 - 07:47 AM, said:

NO psick

did a very silly thing,uninstalled the old drivers(which weren't there!)so I could install the new drivers,now my Ethernet controller has completely disappeared from device manger!!

so definitely not fixed!

what needs fixing is my brain!

I have done that before! I did have to get the drivers from the manufacturer of my motherboard. Once you install the new drivers you should be ok though.  

Please read the WOWP Game and Forum rules.
Forum Rules - Game Rules - EULA - TOS
Find us on Facebook!

Jack_Pelter_The_Chicken #15 Posted 12 May 2017 - 03:59 PM

Senior Airman

• 30 battles

View PostGhostPrime, on 12 May 2017 - 03:51 PM, said:

I have done that before! I did have to get the drivers from the manufacturer of my motherboard. Once you install the new drivers you should be ok though.

that's ghost for the support,losing the will though!

FlakValleyExpress #16 Posted 12 May 2017 - 05:04 PM

Captain

• 16 battles

OP have you check port forwarding options here?

And if you go hardwired check this too here for any local choke points with cabling.

View PostJack_Pelter_The_Chicken, on 11 May 2017 - 02:50 PM, said:

both my mouse and keyboard are usb

Check this setting here to verify the USB "save power setting" is not killing your USB ports

Airborne Scout - Class of 1.0

Vae victis

Update 2.0 - It's not a bug, it's a feature

"Battle is the Great Redeemer. It is the fiery crucible in which true heroes are forged. The one place where all men truly share the same rank, regardless of what kind of parasitic scum they were going in."

GouIdy #17 Posted 12 May 2017 - 05:15 PM

First Lieutenant

• 6 battles

View PostFlakValleyExpress, on 12 May 2017 - 01:04 PM, said:

And if you go hardwired check this too here for any local choke points with cabling.

Check this setting here to verify the USB "save power setting" is not killing your USB ports

Flak you are just going to confuse him, first he needs to get drivers for his onboard ethernet.

Edited by GouIdy, 12 May 2017 - 05:15 PM.

Jack_Pelter_The_Chicken #18 Posted 12 May 2017 - 06:12 PM

Senior Airman

• 30 battles

View PostFlakValleyExpress, on 12 May 2017 - 05:04 PM, said:

thanks flak had a quick look.like gould said it went abit over my head

but again many thx for your time

Jack_Pelter_The_Chicken #19 Posted 12 May 2017 - 06:15 PM

Senior Airman

• 30 battles

View PostGouIdy, on 12 May 2017 - 05:15 PM, said:

Flak you are just going to confuse him, first he needs to get drivers for his onboard ethernet.

downloaded drivers from gigabit,ethernet now showing again in device manager.

however it seems im back at square one again,getting the same messages as before

Jack_Pelter_The_Chicken #20 Posted 12 May 2017 - 06:19 PM

Senior Airman

• 30 battles

im going to end this topic,ive had enough!

I just want to thank everybody who took the time and effort to try and help me!

wish you all good hunting!

think im going to try eu server

thx again cheers

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users