Questions about mechanics of the game?

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

Preditorian #21 Posted 11 May 2017 - 11:57 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 6256 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
Why are there NOT Dinosaurs in the game yet?

GeorgePatton #22 Posted 12 May 2017 - 12:36 AM

газета

• -Community Ace-
  • 7716 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

View Post20thCenturyLtd, on 11 May 2017 - 06:33 PM, said:

Guns - why do .50s not carry as far as they should? They already do next to nothing in damage..."

Strange, they do plenty of damage for me. Must be doing it wrong.

Let me clarify...

.50s do not carry as far as they should compared to real-world data - this information is readily available if you want to google it. The .50s do next to nothing in damage compared to anything larger. The .50s do work in-game, just not how they were known to work IRL which makes them not as effective versus aircraft with cannons at longer distances. I didn't say they weren't deadly, just that they do next to nothing in damage (they rely pretty heavily on concentration of fire in-game) and have a short range. They're just fine if you get within 300m of your target...

Cheers!
Glenn

Click the Pictures to Visit My YouTube Channel.

MARS_REVENANT #23 Posted 12 May 2017 - 12:38 AM

Major

• 33811 battles
  • [SICK] SICK

View PostGeorgePatton, on 11 May 2017 - 07:36 PM, said:

Let me clarify...

.50s do not carry as far as they should compared to real-world data - this information is readily available if you want to google it. The .50s do next to nothing in damage compared to anything larger. The .50s do work in-game, just not how they were known to work IRL which makes them not as effective versus aircraft with cannons at longer distances. I didn't say they weren't deadly, just that they do next to nothing in damage (they rely pretty heavily on concentration of fire in-game) and have a short range. They're just fine if you get within 300m of your target...

Cheers!
Glenn

If you got something like a bullet to work like it does in real life, wouldnt you then have to make everything else work as it does in real life?  This is not a flight sim.

Edited by MARS_REVENANT, 12 May 2017 - 12:39 AM.

I never lose; either I win or I learn.

Texthor #24 Posted 12 May 2017 - 12:39 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 28421 battles

View PostGhostPrime, on 11 May 2017 - 04:09 PM, said:

The bombs are on a timer, delay. A long while back it became an issue where players were blowing themselves up after dropping bombs. This was especially true for slower aircraft. That adjustment was made beginning with patch 0.5.3. The devs continued to work on it in the updates that followed

thank you for the reply......

Unfortunatley, I regret to inform you, that I have been at a much higher altitude and much further distance from the bomb blast while the GA was much closer....still no damage to the GA, only to me which can only mean the blast blows upward and for a great height.   Instinct usually makes you pull up when you see the bomb drop, except from height where it much harder to see.  So,  I have tried it at ground level, peeling off to the left or right hugging the ground if or when I see the bomb drop and still further back than the GA and from the blast, that works (sometimes)......still a very distinct and puzzling advantage for the GA not to have any damage occur..

Edited by Texthor, 12 May 2017 - 12:50 AM.

Rockstone_ #25 Posted 12 May 2017 - 01:02 AM

• Alpha tester
  • 21439 battles
  • [-BFS-] -BFS-

View PostTexthor, on 11 May 2017 - 04:39 PM, said:

thank you for the reply......

Unfortunatley, I regret to inform you, that I have been at a much higher altitude and much further distance from the bomb blast while the GA was much closer....still no damage to the GA, only to me which can only mean the blast blows upward and for a great height.   Instinct usually makes you pull up when you see the bomb drop, except from height where it much harder to see.  So,  I have tried it at ground level, peeling off to the left or right hugging the ground if or when I see the bomb drop and still further back than the GA and from the blast, that works (sometimes)......still a very distinct and puzzling advantage for the GA not to have any damage occur..

(STUCK RECORD)

Edited by Rockstone_, 12 May 2017 - 02:14 AM.

GeorgePatton #26 Posted 12 May 2017 - 01:07 AM

газета

• -Community Ace-
  • 7716 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

View PostMARS_REVENANT, on 11 May 2017 - 07:38 PM, said:

If you got something like a bullet to work like it does in real life, wouldnt you then have to make everything else work as it does in real life?  This is not a flight sim.

I'm not asking for realistic ballistics I'm just asking why the developers decided to limit the range of the .50s which were known to be very good at distances. It's why the USAAF used them almost exclusively.

Cheers!
Glenn

BrushWolf #27 Posted 12 May 2017 - 01:29 AM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 10764 battles
  • [GWG] GWG

View PostGeorgePatton, on 11 May 2017 - 07:36 PM, said:

Let me clarify...

Cheers!
Glenn

Actually three to five hundred feet is about what the WWII fighter pilots considered a good range for all MG's. Yes the .50's would carry and be deadly to much farther ranges but the odds of actually hitting a fighter sized plane was so low they wouldn't waste their bullets. Against a bomber sized target they would start shooting sooner.

I used to have a handle on life until it broke off.

“The church is near but the road is icy, the tavern is far away but I will walk carefully”

Russian Proverb

Omega_Weapon #28 Posted 12 May 2017 - 02:02 AM

• 10814 battles
  • [GRIEF] GRIEF
My question is about gun accuracy. The Soldier and Vet level bots have laser beam like accuracy. On days with good ping I'm getting 25 to 30% hit rate. On days with more lag, I'm only scoring 10 - 15% accuracy. Bot planes can drop me from full HPs much faster than I can ever drop them (even with the same planes). Is it possible for human players to shoot as accurately as the bots do, or do the bots get inhuman accuracy by their programming? Trying to figure out if its just lag messing up my shooting, or if human players are not allowed to be very accurate by design.

GeorgePatton #29 Posted 12 May 2017 - 02:05 AM

газета

• -Community Ace-
  • 7716 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

View PostBrushWolf, on 11 May 2017 - 08:29 PM, said:

Actually three to five hundred feet is about what the WWII fighter pilots considered a good range for all MG's. Yes the .50's would carry and be deadly to much farther ranges but the odds of actually hitting a fighter sized plane was so low they wouldn't waste their bullets. Against a bomber sized target they would start shooting sooner.

'Actually' why? I never mentioned a specific range. I never mentioned accuracy. I'm not talking about accuracy (because that's a joke in WoWP...) but rather the simple effective distances. You've been around long enough to know this information is not new to me, and you really didn't have anything to do with the discussion, so why did you get involved?

Cheers!
Glenn

Preditorian #30 Posted 12 May 2017 - 02:17 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 6256 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

rCzqBOj.jpg

Concept art for WG's consideration.

Edited by Preditorian, 12 May 2017 - 02:18 AM.

BrushWolf #31 Posted 12 May 2017 - 02:18 AM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 10764 battles
  • [GWG] GWG

View PostGeorgePatton, on 11 May 2017 - 09:05 PM, said:

'Actually' why? I never mentioned a specific range. I never mentioned accuracy. I'm not talking about accuracy (because that's a joke in WoWP...) but rather the simple effective distances. You've been around long enough to know this information is not new to me, and you really didn't have anything to do with the discussion, so why did you get involved?

Cheers!
Glenn

Basically I am trying to say that was the effective range.

I used to have a handle on life until it broke off.

“The church is near but the road is icy, the tavern is far away but I will walk carefully”

Russian Proverb

cddlbunny0 #32 Posted 12 May 2017 - 03:47 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 3543 battles
  • [335TH] 335TH
There is a question about bombing and destruction of ships. How can you sink a 16 pt warship with one bomb (not sure what type) and someone had stated in a conversation that it takes less shots to sink a ship if you aim at the red box at the water line? How is the damage calculated, based on the HP of the target or the damage potential of the weapon used?

CrayolaCrayon #33 Posted 12 May 2017 - 04:36 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 6548 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
How do I get a game with no bots and full human teams?

_Warchylde_ #34 Posted 12 May 2017 - 04:51 AM

First Lieutenant

• 10944 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

View PostCrayolaCrayon, on 11 May 2017 - 11:36 PM, said:

How do I get a game with no bots and full human teams?

Revert back to 1.4?

"Shee, you guys are so unhip, it's a wonder your bums don't fall off!"

- Zaphod Beeblebrox

losttwo #35 Posted 12 May 2017 - 11:26 AM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 29924 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

leave the PvP slug fest for the player posts.

GP simply wants questions and not to sift through a bunch of __________

No wonder it has been X amount of years since we had a Q&A.

gerr22 #36 Posted 12 May 2017 - 12:27 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 14913 battles
  • [17SQ] 17SQ

vet bots have what percentage win rate as i think they are strong as 

o yes there are lots of dinasaurs in game and in forum lol

GeorgePatton #37 Posted 12 May 2017 - 01:47 PM

газета

• -Community Ace-
  • 7716 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

View Postcddlbunny0, on 11 May 2017 - 10:47 PM, said:

There is a question about bombing and destruction of ships. How can you sink a 16 pt warship with one bomb (not sure what type) and someone had stated in a conversation that it takes less shots to sink a ship if you aim at the red box at the water line? How is the damage calculated, based on the HP of the target or the damage potential of the weapon used?

I believe any bomb over 250 lbs can sink a 16 pt warship. Regarding the ability to sink warships easily with the guns - they have a 'main hull' target which is required for the ship to 'stay afloat'. Destroy that and the ship sinks (as you would expect if the hull were destroyed but obviously IRL guns wouldn't do this...) it would be rather silly if you destroyed the hull and the ship sank but you still had to shoot the individual targets on the ship. I think it also just makes the ground game a little more important to the overall match.

Cheers!
Glenn

beaver_cleaver #38 Posted 12 May 2017 - 02:45 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 31081 battles
  • [WHAWK] WHAWK

View PostSteel_bomber_, on 11 May 2017 - 03:08 PM, said:

fighters (japanese) and heavies also drop bombs, they have the same advantage.

Just don't be dumb enough to go behind them so low......................oh wait......

The bomb damage inflicted can and often does occur AFTER a pilot has pulled off and way beyond what should be reasonable - nice try - but the bomb kill is far too advantageous to the heavies and GA's. Light fighters continue to get the short shrift.

clodhoppr #39 Posted 12 May 2017 - 04:22 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 14290 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

View PostPreditorian, on 11 May 2017 - 11:57 PM, said:

Why are there NOT Dinosaurs in the game yet?

I think the bots should be changed to Pterodactyls and Pterandons!!

Excellent post! :great:

Gang_Starr #40 Posted 13 May 2017 - 03:43 AM

Captain

• 12292 battles
  • [BAGG] BAGG
My favorite is the "stall bots" mechanic. 10/10

Tenks

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users