• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

GhostPrime #1 Posted 11 May 2017 - 04:42 PM

Community Coordinator

• Administrator
  • 1531 battles
  • [WGA-B] WGA-B

Hello!

Do any of you have any questions about the mechanics of the game and how they work? Place them here, and I will do my best to get the questions answered.

Please read the WOWP Game and Forum rules.
Forum Rules - Game Rules - EULA - TOS
Find us on Facebook!

GeorgePatton #2 Posted 11 May 2017 - 05:53 PM

газета

• -Community Ace-
  • 7403 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

'Flights' - are they working as intended? Specifically has removing the three-ship flight decreased the amount of battles that swing drastically in the DRACS' favor? (Not a jab at DRACS, I actually liked fighting 3 man drac flights... I know they were the inspiration for the whiners asking to remove flights that got the 2-ship compromise...)

Bots - why do they not fill the matches completely to 15v15?

Physics:

Flaps - why do the flaps not slow us down more quickly? It's basically impossible to force an overshoot in today's game because you just can't slow down fast enough. I think a 30-40% increase in the rate of speed loss when deploying the flaps would make the game a lot more interesting.

Guns - why do .50s not carry as far as they should? They already do next to nothing in damage...

Energy Retention - will the developers ever fix the disparity between the altitude scaling and kinetic/potential energy tradeoffs? I believe the current altitude compression ratio is somewhere around 3:1 compared to horizontal distances which results in weird things happening for BnZ players (they get a crazy advantage).

That's all for now! I'll probably be back with some more questions!

Cheers!
Glenn

RedSpartacus #3 Posted 11 May 2017 - 06:15 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 17318 battles
  • [GW__S] GW__S
I'd like to know if camouflage does work in combination with bots. Why can bots see enemies way before I can see them ?
  RUN WITH THE PACK

mullyman #4 Posted 11 May 2017 - 06:44 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 26592 battles
  • [WHAWK] WHAWK

View PostRedSpartacus, on 11 May 2017 - 02:15 PM, said:

I'd like to know if camouflage does work in combination with bots. Why can bots see enemies way before I can see them ?

and...

1) Why do bots know where you are from the other side of the map when you are the last GA in hiding?

mullyman.png

Texthor #5 Posted 11 May 2017 - 06:48 PM

• 27618 battles

A very simple physics question:  How can a low flying GA drop a bomb and kill every plane at a very high or low altitude in the bomb radius, EXCEPT the GA that is in the very same bomb radius ? 

Please don't tell me it is simply because of the Superman armor of the GA......because NO damage occurs to the GA.

Edited by Texthor, 11 May 2017 - 07:00 PM.

BrushWolf #6 Posted 11 May 2017 - 06:50 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 10764 battles
  • [GWG] GWG
Why doesn't the MM try to put more humans in the matches? We see way too many single tier matches with one or two humans per team.

I used to have a handle on life until it broke off.

“The church is near but the road is icy, the tavern is far away but I will walk carefully”

Russian Proverb

losttwo #7 Posted 11 May 2017 - 06:54 PM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 29924 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

Are the heavy fighters intended to be more powerful than the fighters.

You see many people complain about a flight of heavies and the " exploit " in the game.

Is it working as intended or is it an exploit.

Steel_bomber_ #8 Posted 11 May 2017 - 08:08 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 15723 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

View PostTexthor, on 11 May 2017 - 07:48 PM, said:

A very simple physics question:  How can a low flying GA drop a bomb and kill every plane at a very high or low altitude in the bomb radius, EXCEPT the GA that is in the very same bomb radius ? 

Please don't tell me it is simply because of the Superman armor of the GA......because NO damage occurs to the GA.

fighters (japanese) and heavies also drop bombs, they have the same advantage.

Just don't be dumb enough to go behind them so low......................oh wait......

THIS PAGE
INTENTIONALLY
LEFT
BLANK

mnbv_fockewulfe #9 Posted 11 May 2017 - 09:12 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 4380 battles
  • [JACS] JACS

Guys, this is our first Q&A since...*counts number of years*

FOREVER!:great:

Dat nose

knows does doe

mnbv_fockewulfe.png

Texthor #10 Posted 11 May 2017 - 09:28 PM

• 27618 battles

View PostSteel_bomber_, on 11 May 2017 - 02:08 PM, said:

fighters (japanese) and heavies also drop bombs, they have the same advantage.

Just don't be dumb enough to go behind them so low......................oh wait......

you must be very afraid of the answer !!!

I would not know much about bombs on fighters or heavies because I'm not dumb enough to have to use bombs to be able to compete in the game.....

Edited by Texthor, 11 May 2017 - 09:31 PM.

Vanize #11 Posted 11 May 2017 - 09:43 PM

• 16846 battles

View PostTexthor, on 11 May 2017 - 12:48 PM, said:

I actually agree with you on this post.

in fact, explosions should not be  set amount of damage distributed over things in the blast radius (which seems to be how it is now, tho this calculation may be different between ground and aerial targets). It should be max damage at point of explosion and damage falling off as distance squared from there (to everything, including the plane that dropped the bomb). So a plane twice as far from the epicenter as another plane would receive 1/4th as much damage. it would be almost no extra computation effort, as the distance already has to be calculated to see what planes are in the blast radius.

Calculating the blast effects moving at the speed of sound from the center of the explosion and relative speeds to nearby aircraft would be really nice, especially in higher tiers where speeds begin to approach the speed of sound, but admittedly a small enough effect to maybe not want to spend extra server calculations on this (speed of effect can be more important than accuracy of effect in video games).

It seems to me the mechanic of having X damage effecting everything in the blast radius is the reason they had to make the plane that dropped the weapon invulnerable.

so my question is - how exactly is bomb damage calculated  - for both ground and flying targets (which seem to be different)? And are we ever going to see improvements in the various physics of the game, or are the mechanics/game physics pretty much set in stone now?

Edited by Vanize, 11 May 2017 - 10:44 PM.

Texthor #12 Posted 11 May 2017 - 10:02 PM

• 27618 battles

View PostVanize, on 11 May 2017 - 03:43 PM, said:

I actually agree with you on this post.

in fact, explosions should not be  set amount of damage distributed o things in the blast radius (which seems to behow it is now, tho this calculation may be different between ground and aerial targets). It should be max damage at point of explosion and damage falling off as distance squared from there (to everything, including the plane that dropped the bomb). Some a plane twice as far from the epicenter as another plane would receive 1/4th as much damage. it would be almost no extra computation effort, as the distance already has to be calculated to see what planes are in the blast radius.

Calculating the blast effects moving at the speed of sound from the center of the explosion and relative speeds to nearby aircraft would be really nice, especially in higher tiers where speeds begin to approach the speed of sound, but admittedly a small enough effect to maybe not want to spend extra server calculations on this (speed of effect can be more important than accuracy of effect in video games).

It seems to me the mechanic of having X damage effecting everything in the blast radius is the reason they had to make the plane that dropped the weapon invulnerable.

so my question is - how exactly is bomb damage calculated  - for both ground and flying targets (which seem to be different)? And are we ever going to see improvements in the various physics of the game, or are the mechanics/game physics pretty much set in stone now?

thank you, professor

GhostPrime #13 Posted 11 May 2017 - 10:09 PM

Community Coordinator

• Administrator
  • 1531 battles
  • [WGA-B] WGA-B

View PostTexthor, on 11 May 2017 - 10:48 AM, said:

The bombs are on a timer, delay. A long while back it became an issue where players were blowing themselves up after dropping bombs. This was especially true for slower aircraft. That adjustment was made beginning with patch 0.5.3. The devs continued to work on it in the updates that followed

Please read the WOWP Game and Forum rules.
Forum Rules - Game Rules - EULA - TOS
Find us on Facebook!

Steel_bomber_ #14 Posted 11 May 2017 - 10:35 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 15723 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

View PostTexthor, on 11 May 2017 - 10:28 PM, said:

you must be very afraid of the answer !!!

I would not know much about bombs on fighters or heavies because I'm not dumb enough to have to use bombs to be able to compete in the game.....

I am not afraid of bombs, I hardly ever get bombed. I have been here a long time, also when it was possible to blow yourself up. I know a lot of bombs and their fuses. If your time delay is big enough you can drop a bomb at very low level. But frag altitude will always exist! It will take too much time to go into this. A real 500lbs bomb might have a frag altitude of +450ft up to 2000ft, in this game it is possible to use frag, in real life I don't think it can be used against an enemy, as so many flaws in this game. 

Edited by Steel_bomber_, 11 May 2017 - 10:48 PM.

THIS PAGE
INTENTIONALLY
LEFT
BLANK

Vanize #15 Posted 11 May 2017 - 10:41 PM

• 16846 battles

View PostTexthor, on 11 May 2017 - 04:02 PM, said:

thank you, professor

I am, in fact, a semi-retired professor of physics (i work in software now and rarely teach college classes anymore), with a PhD in space physics from Rice University.

no joke

very perceptive of you.

GouIdy #16 Posted 11 May 2017 - 10:51 PM

First Lieutenant

• 18226 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
While we are on the subject of bombs my question is why are the bombs thrown forward relative to the aircraft dropping them? Realistically shouldn't bombs drop straight off rather than appear to be propelled forward of the aircraft? The other visual  flaw is when the plane dips as bombs are being released sometimes the bombs are thrown up above the plane.

Edited by GouIdy, 11 May 2017 - 10:54 PM.

Steel_bomber_ #17 Posted 11 May 2017 - 10:59 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 15723 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G
real jet aircraft have pins that push the bombs away very fast down, otherwise bombs might get stuck in the boundary layer of the plane, floating away so you miss. Yes this game has flaws, bombs should fall down, while the plane goes forward. But it's too hard for the game to calculate how to do this with certain dive angles. 
THIS PAGE
INTENTIONALLY
LEFT
BLANK

Texthor #18 Posted 11 May 2017 - 11:22 PM

• 27618 battles

View PostVanize, on 11 May 2017 - 04:41 PM, said:

I am, in fact, a semi-retired professor of physics (i work in software now and rarely teach college classes anymore), with a PhD in space physics from Rice University.

no joke

very perceptive of you.

petroleum engineer, Texas Tech, retired

mnbv_fockewulfe #19 Posted 11 May 2017 - 11:33 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 4380 battles
  • [JACS] JACS

Why is bullet dispersion a thing in WOWP?

I've seen videos of earlier iterations of the game where there wasn't any dispersion and kills were a lot faster to make especially with the weaker gunned aircraft. And F-86 could make a one pass kill with its MGs at high speed which is almost impossible in the game today.

I've also noticed that while the damage of all guns have been increased at long range compared to what we had in 1.7 the damage at closer ranges isn't as increased as it was in 1.7. In other words, while the damage is higher, it is more constant at long range and close range. I believe this to be largely the fault of dispersion, which was increased with the large majority of guns in 1.9ish. Basically it will take just as many bullets at long range to kill a plane as at short range, unlike in 1.7. Is there a reason for this increase in dispersion?

Dat nose

knows does doe

mnbv_fockewulfe.png

20thCenturyLtd #20 Posted 11 May 2017 - 11:33 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 18263 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

Guns - why do .50s not carry as far as they should? They already do next to nothing in damage..."

Strange, they do plenty of damage for me. Must be doing it wrong.

Personnel Officer, Knights of Dracarys

Please PM me if interested in applying or for more information.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users