Story Time

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Disgruntled_WoWP_Vet #1 Posted 06 May 2017 - 02:45 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 3778 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

There was/is this MMORPG called Meridian 59 (M59). It was one of the original MMOs, a contemporary of games like Ultima Online and The Realm and long before Everquest went live. I played M59 for years as a serious player. Then one day I had enough of the community. You know the type of people who play MMOs (See the Greater Internet F*wad Theory). After years and years of being in that environment, of being one of the "white knights", of helping newbs and hunting PKers, of being a "community ace", I finally lost it.

I went full on troll both on the forums and in-game. I abused my relationship with the admins and mods to create multiple personalities and totally sh*t up the forums, causing massive amounts of discord and avoiding punishment. I trolled in-game, culminating in duping items, stealing and reselling accounts for $, and then uninstalling the game and never coming back. I got my own personal revenge on all the f*wads by a generalized burst of energy directed towards anything still living in the game.

I was an alpha tester for WoWP. I've been around for all stages of the game, back when it was good, bad, ugly, and somewhere in-between. I took a long break after bots were introduced (hence the name change to my current username). All along those times, I was one of those community guys. My old name was Antiledo, which you might remember for writing guides and posting video guides through RocketBrainSurgeon's site (now adsorbed by WoTLabs). I used to be a big WoWP cheerleader on 3rd party forums and created tons of content to help the community grew.

Then WG ***** on us the past 3 years with neglect and disastrous patches. You all know that story. So I changed my name to my current moniker and left for a long while. I'm back now, and I have only one thing to say:

- Content Moderated

You either die a Community Ace, or live long enough to get SICK and become a Community Clown. 

Quesnel #2 Posted 06 May 2017 - 03:03 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 12789 battles
You had me til the last paragraph. 

MARS_REVENANT #3 Posted 06 May 2017 - 03:03 PM

Major

• 31893 battles
  • [SICK] SICK
You either die a Community Ace, or live long enough to get SICK and become a Community Clown.

I never lose; either I win or I learn.

Disgruntled_WoWP_Vet #4 Posted 06 May 2017 - 03:19 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 3778 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostQuesnel, on 06 May 2017 - 10:03 AM, said:

You had me til the last paragraph. 

It is all truth though. Well, except the last paragraph, that is meta-truth. 

View PostMARS_REVENANT, on 06 May 2017 - 10:03 AM, said:

Stolen, thanks!

Edited by Disgruntled_WoWP_Vet, 06 May 2017 - 03:19 PM.

Lou #5 Posted 06 May 2017 - 03:20 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 7393 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
My +1's are back!

LuckyOtter #6 Posted 06 May 2017 - 04:24 PM

Airman Basic

• 841 battles
  • [GWG] GWG

View PostDisgruntled_WoWP_Vet, on 06 May 2017 - 08:45 AM, said:

I sexually identify as a clown.

In North Carolina, we don't have Clown bathrooms.  You're still gonna have to use the one that's on your Birth certificate.

Vradin #7 Posted 06 May 2017 - 07:48 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 18599 battles

View PostDisgruntled_WoWP_Vet, on 06 May 2017 - 06:45 AM, said:

There was/is this MMORPG called Meridian 59 (M59). It was one of the original MMOs, a contemporary of games like Ultima Online and The Realm and long before Everquest went live. I played M59 for years as a serious player. Then one day I had enough of the community. You know the type of people who play MMOs (See the Greater Internet F*wad Theory). After years and years of being in that environment, of being one of the "white knights", of helping newbs and hunting PKers, of being a "community ace", I finally lost it.

HAHA ! I was on server 105 back in the day of M59. The graphics were already a bit outdated when it came out but it was pretty much the first MMO as i recall, great grandfather of them all :P. Man that game was hilarious, a total ruthless almost free for all PVP environment, hours of grinding could be lost due to some PKer sneaking up behind and killing you.Some of the best rage quit swearfeast rants I've ever seen were in some of those in-game broadcasts. Sadly bad management, lack of updates, and the coming of UO and then Evercrack put the final nails in the coffin for the game.

Disgruntled_WoWP_Vet #8 Posted 06 May 2017 - 08:16 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 3778 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostLuckyOtter, on 06 May 2017 - 11:24 AM, said:

In North Carolina, we don't have Clown bathrooms.  You're still gonna have to use the one that's on your Birth certificate.

I forgot about that... I live 5 minutes south of Lake Wylie :(  Life as a clown is way harder than I thought when I arbitrarily chose it as my birth identity.

View PostVradin, on 06 May 2017 - 02:48 PM, said:

HAHA ! I was on server 105 back in the day of M59. The graphics were already a bit outdated when it came out but it was pretty much the first MMO as i recall, great grandfather of them all :P. Man that game was hilarious, a total ruthless almost free for all PVP environment, hours of grinding could be lost due to some PKer sneaking up behind and killing you.Some of the best rage quit swearfeast rants I've ever seen were in some of those in-game broadcasts. Sadly bad management, lack of updates, and the coming of UO and then Evercrack put the final nails in the coffin for the game.

Meridian 59 survived. The original creators bought it (after it had been bought and re-sold a few times). There is an "official" server and they made it open source, so there are a number of player servers that exist without threat of closure by the owners. Well, this news is accurate as of many years ago; I assume it still exists but I refuse to Google it.

Copypasta!

Vradin #9 Posted 07 May 2017 - 03:17 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 18599 battles

View PostDisgruntled_WoWP_Vet, on 06 May 2017 - 12:16 PM, said:

Meridian 59 survived. The original creators bought it (after it had been bought and re-sold a few times). There is an "official" server and they made it open source, so there are a number of player servers that exist without threat of closure by the owners. Well, this news is accurate as of many years ago; I assume it still exists but I refuse to Google it.

Yea, I mucked around on the creator's server as well as the German server once 3DO shut down the official servers. I think the creator's server is still around  but no one really plays the game there anymore, they just log in for nostalgia i suppose. I guess in my mind even though the game continued it was never really the same as in the beginning where-in there were 10 servers with over a hundred logged onto each.

Still, it's quite rare and refreshing to run into another M59'er from years past, it was quite the game :honoring:

TeamTerrible #10 Posted 07 May 2017 - 03:41 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 44598 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

View PostVradin, on 06 May 2017 - 10:17 PM, said:

Yea, I mucked around on the creator's server as well as the German server once 3DO shut down the official servers. I think the creator's server is still around  but no one really plays the game there anymore, they just log in for nostalgia i suppose. I guess in my mind even though the game continued it was never really the same as in the beginning where-in there were 10 servers with over a hundred logged onto each.

Still, it's quite rare and refreshing to run into another M59'er from years past, it was quite the game :honoring:

Another survivor was Star Trek Orion Pirates that shared almost the same fate

There are only about 12 players left from a game that has somehow survived since 2002

Gamespy died and then it went to Gameranger where it is still active to this day

Its a friday night tradition these days...still one game I cannot stop playing

Chuck_norris10 #11 Posted 07 May 2017 - 10:00 AM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 20767 battles
  • [300SP] 300SP

Gamespy,think I used that with my old MS FS to create flights.

Disgruntled_WoWP_Vet #12 Posted 07 May 2017 - 12:55 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 3778 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostVradin, on 06 May 2017 - 10:17 PM, said:

Last I heard someone was using the open source to make a 3D client for the game. You know, because a relic of MMO gameplay with a 3D client will dethrone WoW! :)

Still, it WAS quite the game and I sunk was too many years of my life into it. I "won" because I took the PvP into real life ;)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users