"game center" now mandatory

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

Derpinoid #1 Posted 28 April 2017 - 12:21 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 2 battles
  • [-BFS-] -BFS-

Why exactly do I need an applet checking in with your servers every 5 minutes for a game with quarterly updates?

(Note to WG, I'm gonna look at that traffic, and if I see any personal data or usage numbers, I'll be looking up your agent for service of process)

Edited by Derpinoid, 28 April 2017 - 12:28 AM.

Experience only counts when you're doing it right in the first place.

"When everything goes right, you don't learn anything" NASA rocket tester.

BigWaveSurfer #2 Posted 28 April 2017 - 12:30 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 11 battles
Could be worst I have it with my ASIA Account (Australia). which shows WoWP (other regions). But now I have got to get the NA one as well.....get your crap together WG or give ASIA it's own server  :angry:

Edited by BigWaveSurfer, 28 April 2017 - 12:31 AM.

Alpha/Super Tester World of Warships/Closed Beta Tester World of Warplanes/Beta Tester World of Tanks

Chuck_norris10 #3 Posted 28 April 2017 - 12:36 AM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1 battle
  • [300SP] 300SP

View PostDerpinoid, on 27 April 2017 - 05:21 PM, said:

Why exactly do I need an applet checking in with your servers every 5 minutes for a game with quarterly updates?

(Note to WG, I'm gonna look at that traffic, and if I see any personal data or usage numbers, I'll be looking up your agent for service of process)

The data traffic is on the wows forum. I'm not sure who to believe,some say it makes no difference and some say it's a resource hog.But a few of them are reading this forum to see what's coming.They have no idea.

http://forum.worldof..._st__80#topmost

Edited by Chuck_norris10, 28 April 2017 - 12:45 AM.

GouIdy #4 Posted 28 April 2017 - 12:56 AM

First Lieutenant

• 6 battles

#1 You could have put this in one of the other belly aching threads.

#2 If you bothered to read the other threads you would read that you can disable the game center from automatically updating & running in the background.

losttwo #5 Posted 28 April 2017 - 01:04 AM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 0 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

View PostGouIdy, on 27 April 2017 - 07:56 PM, said:

#1 You could have put this in one of the other belly aching threads.

#2 If you bothered to read the other threads you would read that you can disable the game center from automatically updating & running in the background.

# 3 You can use your laptop at the gun range when you run out of silhouettes.

Zapperguy #6 Posted 28 April 2017 - 01:28 AM

First Lieutenant

• -Community Ace-
  • 23 battles
  • [CLOWN] CLOWN

View PostZapperguy, on 27 April 2017 - 09:45 AM, said:

Once you get the Game Center installed, it will update all of your WG titles.

1. After everything is updated, close the Game Center (using the X in the upper right isn't enough, kill it in your taskbar as well).
  2. Clear your cache. How? Save this .bat file to your desktop and simply double click it with the game not running and your cache is cleared. Clear Wargaming Cache .Bat file
  3. (optional for mod users only) If you use mods effected by the cacheddb.bin file, check for it and delete or rename it.

Create a desktop shortcut with the following as the target: C:\Games\World_of_Warplanes\WorldOfWarplanes.exe   Start in: C:\Games\World_of_Warplanes

Use the new shortcut to start the game and bypass the Game Center. If you aren't the same version as the server, it won't let you on and will give you a message telling you as much. Simply run the Game Center for updates then repeat steps 1-3. The shortcut you made will continue to work without invoking the Game Center as long as the game is updated.

:honoring:

DrSinister #7 Posted 28 April 2017 - 02:05 AM

High-Tech Medic

• -Community Ace-
  • 63 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostBigWaveSurfer, on 27 April 2017 - 07:30 PM, said:

Could be worst I have it with my ASIA Account (Australia). which shows WoWP (other regions). But now I have got to get the NA one as well.....get your crap together WG or give ASIA it's own server  :angry:

Asia (well Chinese servers) technically has its own server, ran by kongzong for WoT, WoWp and WoWs. 

Derpinoid #8 Posted 28 April 2017 - 02:13 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 2 battles
  • [-BFS-] -BFS-

Oh, I locked the game center down as far as the app would let me, the moment it was installed. It is still generating traffic, as yet packet type and volume unknown, it's not a high volume of traffic, but it is curious.

(Edit: I did find it odd as well that the applet was using significant processor time when "downloading update")

Edited by Derpinoid, 28 April 2017 - 02:15 AM.

pyantoryng #9 Posted 28 April 2017 - 02:27 AM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 515 battles

NikoPower, on 27 April 2017 - 04:21 PM, said:

Also a couple things about it auto-running and auto-updating.

If you want to stop it from starting up on Windows start up, you can go into the settings of the WGC Launcher. Under the "General" tab, you can uncheck the box that says "Launch Game Center when you start your computer". This is prevent the Launcher from starting up. 

To turn it off, you can go in the lower right of your screen to the system tray, right click the WGC Launcher icon, and select "Exit". It will not start up until you start it on your own. 

If you choose to leave it on, but you don't want auto-updates to happen. You again go into settings and find the "Updates" tab. You will then uncheck both of the available boxes that say "Automatically update installed games" and "Download Updates in Advance". From there, it will stop from updating. 

If you feel the Launcher is taking up bandwidth during updates, you can also adjust the speeds for Upcoming Updates, General WGC Launcher Update speeds and Upload Speeds. This will cap the speeds and save on your bandwidth. 

As for the random pinging to search for downloads, in the next update for the WGC Launcher, this will be addressed. 

Not sure if it's relevant to the traffic issue...(from Ships forum)

Dumb move...perhaps even dumber than introducing a Matchmaker that leave people waiting for over 30 mins for a match...

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

FreeFOXMIKE #10 Posted 28 April 2017 - 02:29 AM

G.A.T.P. (Global Alpha Test Pilot)

• 560 battles
  • [332ND] 332ND

View PostDerpinoid, on 27 April 2017 - 06:21 PM, said:

you can turn it off after the game loads.

332 Virtual  Fighter  Group

FreeFOXMIKE #11 Posted 28 April 2017 - 02:31 AM

• 560 battles
  • [332ND] 332ND

View Postpyantoryng, on 27 April 2017 - 08:27 PM, said:

Not sure if it's relevant to the traffic issue...(from Ships forum)

Dumb move...perhaps even dumber than introducing a Matchmaker that leave people waiting for over 30 mins for a match...

0uchy when this start up again?

( now do remember that it always seems to improve a bit in time after most have the DL.

I have not replaced the EU,and RU versions of the game yet so can not remark on them yet.

Edited by FreeFOXMIKE, 28 April 2017 - 02:32 AM.

Derpinoid #12 Posted 28 April 2017 - 02:31 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 2 battles
  • [-BFS-] -BFS-

Hey, before anyone starts getting too tinfoil hat, this could very easily be unintended traffic generated by a glitch in the software.

I'm simply pointing out behavior, and making it clear that some people will check.

Edited by Derpinoid, 28 April 2017 - 02:32 AM.

pyantoryng #13 Posted 28 April 2017 - 02:32 AM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 515 battles

You know what? This is reminiscent of The Sims 3 launcher...only that connection to the internet is mandatory.

...and how much resource does it hog?

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

Derpinoid #14 Posted 28 April 2017 - 02:37 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 2 battles
  • [-BFS-] -BFS-

View Postpyantoryng, on 28 April 2017 - 02:32 AM, said:

You know what? This is reminiscent of The Sims 3 launcher...only that connection to the internet is mandatory.

...and how much resource does it hog?

It was dinging my AMD 8150 black for 20% of it's cpu time.

BigWaveSurfer #15 Posted 28 April 2017 - 02:37 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 11 battles

View PostDrSinister, on 28 April 2017 - 02:05 AM, said:

Asia (well Chinese servers) technically has its own server, ran by kongzong for WoT, WoWp and WoWs.

Chinese server, ASIA server are 2 very different servers.

ASIA doesn't have WoWp, which why I still have NA WoWp

Alpha/Super Tester World of Warships/Closed Beta Tester World of Warplanes/Beta Tester World of Tanks

GouIdy #16 Posted 28 April 2017 - 03:24 AM

First Lieutenant

• 6 battles

View PostDerpinoid, on 27 April 2017 - 10:31 PM, said:

Hey, before anyone starts getting too tinfoil hat, this could very easily be unintended traffic generated by a glitch in the software.

I'm simply pointing out behavior, and making it clear that some people will check.

Wargaming uses peer to peer for updates, easy fix is to change the upload speed to no uploading in the game center settings.

Edited by GouIdy, 28 April 2017 - 03:26 AM.

FreeFOXMIKE #17 Posted 28 April 2017 - 05:38 AM

• 560 battles
  • [332ND] 332ND

http://forum.worldof...-on-windows-10/

Tarnes     

got it right

beaver_cleaver #18 Posted 28 April 2017 - 12:59 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 0 battles
  • [WHAWK] WHAWK
The launcher is going to be real "popular" when as you're loading for battle the games crashes - as it does now - and you now have yet another layer of startup menus to go through to hopefully get into the match before your shot down by overly enthusiastic bots or a human pouncing on a "sitter". Should have been optional - not mandatory.

GouIdy #19 Posted 28 April 2017 - 01:25 PM

First Lieutenant

• 6 battles

View Postbeaver_cleaver, on 28 April 2017 - 08:59 AM, said:

The launcher is going to be real "popular" when as you're loading for battle the games crashes - as it does now - and you now have yet another layer of startup menus to go through to hopefully get into the match before your shot down by overly enthusiastic bots or a human pouncing on a "sitter". Should have been optional - not mandatory.

Well for starters the game center stays open while you are playing so there is no extra startup involved if your game crashes, even if you were to close down the game center it is my experience that it loads much faster than the old game launcher.

MARS_REVENANT #20 Posted 28 April 2017 - 01:32 PM

Colonel

• 809 battles
  • [SICK] SICK

View PostGouIdy, on 28 April 2017 - 08:25 AM, said:

Well for starters the game center stays open while you are playing so there is no extra startup involved if your game crashes, even if you were to close down the game center it is my experience that it loads much faster than the old game launcher.

Yep.  All you have to do is click "PLAY" in the game launcher, and game starts right back up.

1.9.x Forum Stats: Colonel; Member; 34638 battles; 7,526 message_img.pngMember since: 01-26-2012

I never lose; either I win or I learn.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users