Ramming = Instant Death for BOTH Planes

ramming

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

Poll: Ramming (38 members have cast votes)

Should ramming another plane result in both aircraft being destroyed in-game?

1. Yes. (8 votes [21.05%])

Percentage of vote: 21.05%

2. No. (30 votes [78.95%])

Percentage of vote: 78.95%

Vote Guests cannot vote Hide poll

RedSpartacus #21 Posted 26 April 2017 - 01:05 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 17094 battles
  • [GW__S] GW__S

View PostSteel_bomber_, on 26 April 2017 - 08:58 AM, said:

It should actually be the opposite:

Ramming should not be allowed in an arcade game, both planes should get NO damage at all. Especially with those dumb bots flying through you, both friendly and hostile. Although humans will fly through you too.

Damage should only be given by :

bullets (AA, front/tail guns)

rocket/AA (frag)

bomb (frag)

How about other objects like mountains, water, houses or trees - no damage ? While it makes no sense flying through mountains should a tree twig instantly kill a plane or leave it unharmed ?

Edited by RedSpartacus, 26 April 2017 - 01:06 PM.

RUN WITH THE PACK

Steel_bomber_ #22 Posted 26 April 2017 - 01:07 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 15689 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

View PostRedSpartacus, on 26 April 2017 - 02:05 PM, said:

How about other objects like mountains, water, houses or trees - no damage ? While it makes no sense flying through mountains should a tree twig instantly kill a plane or leave it unharmed ?

Objects on the floor could give damage of course, especially flying in a mountain, this should kill you (this is your own fault).

Edited by Steel_bomber_, 26 April 2017 - 01:07 PM.

THIS PAGE
INTENTIONALLY
LEFT
BLANK

pyantoryng #23 Posted 26 April 2017 - 01:54 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 11748 battles

I think the instant kill from ram of the old times come less from damage than from dismemberment...Remember those times when planes can be outright killed by getting their wings or tail sheared right off?

There *are* occasions of planes surviving ramming even in Beta, but those circumstances are often bizarre (I still remember how i flew my IL-2 into the bottom of a Curtiss plane and I had enough health to last the fusion attempt)...

One asking for instant death on ramming is just butthurt over getting killed in a ram. It's actually pretty hard to actively ram when the target do not cooperate.

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

FreeFOXMIKE #24 Posted 26 April 2017 - 02:07 PM

G.A.T.P. (Global Alpha Test Pilot)

• 18040 battles
  • [332ND] 332ND

First the formalities out of the way

as we did in the :"good old day's" of WG

ok first off not every ram ,or mid air collision resulted in both AC going down. 

http://ww2f.com/thre...-ramming.12736/

and whats next on the extreme other side of the argument 

http://www.damninter...rthropXP791.jpg

Northrop XP-79During World War 2, large bombers and flying fortresses were considered critical for victory by both the Allied and Axis forces. In order to meet the threat of enemy bombers, both the Germans and the Americans were developing new interceptors intended to attack large enemy planes by deliberately colliding with them. Employing a technology which was ultimately abandoned, the solidly-built interceptors were meant to collide with their target at extremely high speeds. If all went according to plan, the bomber would be fatally wounded and the ramming plane and its pilot would survive the impact, ready to move on to the next victim.

stated  that to get to this I would say 65% of rams ( engine to engine ) total failure of both AC

but on the others and in Mid Air collisions they should be as they are now ,and in conclusion if they bring in total failure of both AC then we need to have the wreckage do damage on the way down as in did in the testing days. 

332 Virtual  Fighter  Group

FreeFOXMIKE #25 Posted 26 April 2017 - 02:20 PM

• 18040 battles
  • [332ND] 332ND

View PostAnzacA1, on 25 April 2017 - 06:23 PM, said:

Does anyone else here agree that if you ram an enemy plane, it should instantly kill both of you? Because whenever that happened between 2 similarly-sized aircraft in WWII, both planes always went down. It's so stupid that you can basically fly through another plane and survive.

wrong in many cases our pilots revived awards so surviving them 

https://en.wikipedia.../Aerial_ramming

if they hit engine to engine then you both should go down but wing to wing no!

FreeFOXMIKE #26 Posted 26 April 2017 - 02:23 PM

• 18040 battles
  • [332ND] 332ND

View PostDrSinister, on 25 April 2017 - 06:36 PM, said:

Ahh miss those days.  Should also bring back non Ghosting Wreckage.  

OMG remember when you heard a bang above you and you have to break off an attack as the crashing AC may hit you and kill you  lol :hiding:

EpicFlash76 #27 Posted 26 April 2017 - 03:16 PM

Senior Airman

• 2711 battles
In my admittedly noobish experience, the overwhelming vast majority of plane-to-plane collisions in my games are not the "FW-57 plowing through my Goldfinch at high speed" type, but the more mundane two teammates both behind an enemy target and we grind and bump each other a bit trying to get a shot in.  Surely that sort of thing shouldn't result in both of us insta-dying?  I hope not, I innocently trade paint with a lot of planes, especially in lower tiers. 

raulv04 #28 Posted 26 April 2017 - 03:31 PM

First Lieutenant

• 18109 battles

View PostEpicFlash76, on 26 April 2017 - 09:16 AM, said:

In my admittedly noobish experience, the overwhelming vast majority of plane-to-plane collisions in my games are not the "FW-57 plowing through my Goldfinch at high speed" type, but the more mundane two teammates both behind an enemy target and we grind and bump each other a bit trying to get a shot in.  Surely that sort of thing shouldn't result in both of us insta-dying?  I hope not, I innocently trade paint with a lot of planes, especially in lower tiers. 

This is caused by lack of situational awareness and tunnel vision. If you hear a plane near you, it's time to split-S and hightail it out of there. I was in that kind of situations over and over again, and I always broke off (live to fight another moment).

BrushWolf #29 Posted 26 April 2017 - 04:00 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 10677 battles
  • [GWG] GWG

View PostFreeFOXMIKE, on 26 April 2017 - 09:23 AM, said:

OMG remember when you heard a bang above you and you have to break off an attack as the crashing AC may hit you and kill you  lol :hiding:

Wrecks should be a collision hazard for a few seconds after they are killed.

I used to have a handle on life until it broke off.

“The church is near but the road is icy, the tavern is far away but I will walk carefully”

Russian Proverb

raulv04 #30 Posted 26 April 2017 - 04:07 PM

First Lieutenant

• 18109 battles

View PostBrushWolf, on 26 April 2017 - 10:00 AM, said:

The only time that Eric Hartmann had to crash land a plane after a kill was because he was hit from debris from a plane he had shot down.

losttwo #31 Posted 26 April 2017 - 06:17 PM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 29924 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

WOWP mimics Dodge trucks.

They are RAM tough.

If you  died in a collision then you were flying a FORD.

FreeFOXMIKE #32 Posted 27 April 2017 - 02:14 AM

• 18040 battles
  • [332ND] 332ND

View PostBrushWolf, on 26 April 2017 - 10:00 AM, said:

AGREED bring back the good old WILD days of this game

View Postraulv04, on 26 April 2017 - 10:07 AM, said:

The only time that Eric Hartmann had to crash land a plane after a kill was because he was hit from debris from a plane he had shot down.

YEPPERS

Spanish Civil War

Ramming was used in the Spanish Civil War. On the night of 27–28 November, 1937, Soviet pilot Evgeny Stepanov, flying a Polikarpov I-15 for the Spanish Republican Air Force, shot down one SM.81 bomber near Barcelona and emptied the rest of his bullets into another. The second SM.81 continued to fly, so Stepanov resorted to using the left leg of his Chaika's undercarriage to ram the bomber, downing the plane

Lieutenant Boris Kobzan survived a record four ramming attacks in the war. Alexander Khlobystov made three.[11] Seventeen other Soviet pilots were credited with two successful ramming attacks.

(note I do think all resulted in loss of the aircraft)

Although technically not ramming, RAF pilots did use an intentional collision of sorts against the V-1 flying bomb. When it was discovered that shooting a V-1 could detonate the warhead and/or fuel tank, thereby endangering the attacking aircraft, pilots would instead fly beside the V-1, which—despite being powered by a pulsejet engine—was not appreciably faster than fighters of the day. Once in position, the pilot would roll to one side, lifting his wingtip to produce an area of high-pressure turbulence beneath the wingtip of the V-1, causing it to roll in the opposite direction. The rudimentary automatic pilot of the V-1 was often not able to compensate, sending it diving into the ground.

(with the planned ramming update even this collision would result in a crash as it is now we get a bump and a slight HP loss)

On 25 May 1944 Oberfähnrich Hubert Heckmann used his Messerschmitt Bf 109 to ram a P-51 Mustang when his guns malfunctioned, severing the tail and rear fuselage from the American aircraft. Captain Joseph H. Bennett of the 336th Fighter Squadron managed to bail out to captivity, while Heckmann made an immediate belly landing near Botenheim, Germany.

(note the AC was out of action but flew and was in control)

and the super all time fav

On 10 May 1945 over Okinawa, Marine Lieutenant Robert R. Klingman

Klingman lined up for a shot at a distance of 50 feet (15 m) when his guns jammed due to the extreme cold. He approached the "Nick" three times to damage it with his propeller, chopping away at his opponent's rudder, rear cockpit, and right stabilizer. The Toryu spun down to 15,000 feet (4,600 m) where its wings came off. Despite missing five inches (13 cm) from the ends of his propeller blades, running out of fuel and having an aircraft dented and punctured by debris and bullets, Klingman safely guided his Corsair to a deadstick landing.[39] He was awarded the Navy Cross.[40] {note the "Nick" may in fact have been a Dinah {Mitsubishi Ki-46} of the Dokuritsu 19th Chutai

https://en.wikipedia.../Aerial_ramming

Edited by FreeFOXMIKE, 27 April 2017 - 02:28 AM.

Gang_Starr #33 Posted 27 April 2017 - 04:34 AM

Captain

• 12216 battles
  • [BAGG] BAGG

View PostAnzacA1, on 25 April 2017 - 11:10 PM, said:

But ramming another plane will almost always disable the rammer as well.

This is a video game, game mechanics have to sometimes forego reality to make gameplay more enjoyable. This way horrible players can't just try to go for the ram everytime on good players when they know they are not skilled enough to win the engagement otherwise.

Tenks

BrushWolf #34 Posted 27 April 2017 - 04:42 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 10677 battles
  • [GWG] GWG

View PostGang_Starr, on 26 April 2017 - 11:34 PM, said:

This is a video game, game mechanics have to sometimes forego reality to make gameplay more enjoyable. This way horrible players can't just try to go for the ram everytime on good players when they know they are not skilled enough to win the engagement otherwise.

The original 99.99999999% death rate was too much for an arcade game but I do feel that they went too far when they changed to the current ramming lottery. As I said earlier in the thread I also think that wrecks should be a collision hazard for a few seconds after they are killed.

“The church is near but the road is icy, the tavern is far away but I will walk carefully”

Russian Proverb

losttwo #35 Posted 27 April 2017 - 05:13 PM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 29924 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

You know what is funny.

You hear a few people speak about " EXPLOITS " or " BROKEN MECHANICS "

Yet the " ramming mechanic " could, by their logic, be called an exploit or broken mechanic.

So list list goes.

High altitude stall bot gaming...........exploit.

double heavy flights.........................exploit.

ramming...........................................exploit.

roflmao...............

BrushWolf #36 Posted 27 April 2017 - 06:42 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 10677 battles
  • [GWG] GWG

View Postlosttwo, on 27 April 2017 - 12:13 PM, said:

You know what is funny.

You hear a few people speak about " EXPLOITS " or " BROKEN MECHANICS "

Yet the " ramming mechanic " could, by their logic, be called an exploit or broken mechanic.

So list list goes.

High altitude stall bot gaming...........exploit.

double heavy flights.........................exploit.

ramming...........................................exploit.

roflmao...............

You forgot, Playing the game.....exploit!

Russian Proverb

pyantoryng #37 Posted 27 April 2017 - 06:44 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 11748 battles

View PostBrushWolf, on 27 April 2017 - 06:42 PM, said:

You forgot, Playing the game.....exploit!

Running the client...EXPLOIT!!!

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

Fog_Heavy_Cruiser_Chokai #38 Posted 28 April 2017 - 02:42 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 6287 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G
Baaaaaaaad idea. This leads to kill pacts and all kinds of things. It used to be like this. No good can come from this at all.

The (not so) amazing Chokai is back! And he's hit all his personal goals sans one! Seriously though, nice to be back, looks like he game is improving. I continue to try to recruit new people.

Fog_Heavy_Cruiser_Chokai #39 Posted 28 April 2017 - 02:46 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 6287 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

View Postraulv04, on 26 April 2017 - 04:07 PM, said:

Happy I read the thread, was about to say just this. He always got super close when he attacked, and this the above is the only way he was ever downed.

The (not so) amazing Chokai is back! And he's hit all his personal goals sans one! Seriously though, nice to be back, looks like he game is improving. I continue to try to recruit new people.

BCB77B #40 Posted 06 May 2017 - 05:19 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 5782 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS
Fact is it depends on your ramming technique. Behind, side, angled, or head on. It's not as simple as one ram and that's it. I've avoided players who constantly try hitting you head on instead of dog fighting by angling my plan at time of impact. My wing generally hits them and they die instead of me. This is true even when I'm st fewer HP then them, and often when I am almost dead. This results in a variety of rants and rage comments that somehow I or WG just cheated them out of their head on ram kill. But they forget that if your fuselage has the right upgrades, your pilot the proper matching skills, then yes your plane is more viable and more likely to survive than their plane even when they have higher HP.

Edited by BCB77B, 06 May 2017 - 05:20 PM.

Also tagged with ramming

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users