Noob into the game be like... ...

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

DEUT5CH #21 Posted 19 April 2017 - 10:24 PM

Senior Airman

• 272 battles

View PostQuesnel, on 18 April 2017 - 05:14 PM, said:

Okay, perhaps the words aren't working in your favor and time to switch it up to something more visual. Do you have replays turned on? If not, load the game, go into Settings (the gear icon next to Profile, top middle of the screen), select Game and tick the box.

Now, play out a few battles in tier III and/or IV. By default, your replays should be saved here C:\Users\(whatever your name is)\Videos and pick out one to upload. Go to http://www.tinyupload.com/ and follow the instructions on your screen (no account needed) and copy the created link in a response.

This is the link i got after uplodaing  http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=99853749255040531349

the above link is for my good gameplay with tire 1 starting UK multirole plane

http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=70567115671310071885

this second link in my P51A game play. Not the worst but you get the idea.

In the following gameplay i actually used the tire 1 plane that ended badly. It is a clear representation of what I mean"die within 30 sec of the game starts"

http://s000.tinyuplo...595013410312237

and here is another good one using german tire 1 plane

http://s000.tinyuplo...439752627297943

Edited by DEUT5CH, 19 April 2017 - 10:53 PM.

DEUT5CH #22 Posted 19 April 2017 - 10:43 PM

Senior Airman

• 272 battles

http://s000.tinyuplo...729018473621484

this is am example of me trying to kill someone and out of no where this other a$$hole kills me at the last sec when the guy i chased only had 1 hp

here is an example of "what the h3ll is going on and how the f did I die?"

http://s000.tinyuplo...119996016735653

and this is the most typical game play when using tire 1 planes

http://s000.tinyuplo...567199279874282

Edited by DEUT5CH, 19 April 2017 - 11:15 PM.

Zapperguy #23 Posted 20 April 2017 - 02:32 AM

First Lieutenant

• -Community Ace-
  • 32568 battles
  • [CLOWN] CLOWN

View PostDEUT5CH, on 19 April 2017 - 05:24 PM, said:

This is the link i got after uplodaing  http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=99853749255040531349

the above link is for my good gameplay with tire 1 starting UK multirole plane

http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=70567115671310071885

this second link in my P51A game play. Not the worst but you get the idea.

In the following gameplay i actually used the tire 1 plane that ended badly. It is a clear representation of what I mean"die within 30 sec of the game starts"

http://s000.tinyuplo...595013410312237

and here is another good one using german tire 1 plane

http://s000.tinyuplo...439752627297943

I color coded my responses for easier tracking. You handle your planes well. I don't see you stalling or running out of boost. That alone gives you a leg up on many pilots. Some general thoughts below.

• Remember your ranges and try to hold fire until you are well in range and on target. Short bursts rather than spraying will help to keep your guns from overheating.
  • Maintain situational awareness, and stay with the pack to avoid getting stomped without help.
  • Try to utilize the rudder more. It is absurdly effective in this game and can make for some very unusual maneuvers. My joystick has a twist rudder that works great with this game. Mouse players are not be able to maneuver like a joystick player. Some have adapted very well and can utilize a mouse to out-fly a stick, but that will take you some time.

Pretty well-played battle. You got 7 kills and won, hard to be too critical, but I'll try.

• You tend to hold the trigger down as you're trying to get on target. Tier 1 guns overheat slowly and cool quickly. Higher tier weapons are less forgiving. Fire in shorter bursts when you know you're on target.
  • When you left your team to kill both GAs, you were fortunate you didn't come back to all red planes. Going after GAs early leaves your fighters short-handed and gives away any altitude and energy advantage. 

You started out well, good altitude and boost management while remaining with the pack in friendly territory. You were fortunate the 410 pilot was a bot and not a veteran player.

• You took a big chance chasing the 410 up. Human pilots in HFs will outclimb you and roast you when you stall all day long.
  • After killing the 410 you strayed from what was left of your team. Unfortunately you tried to flank veteran human pilots and were left alone vs 3 aircraft.
  • There were 3 humans per team. The red pilots had >9600, >16000, and >6600 battles logged. Green team had >6500, >2100, and you at <200 battles. Experience matters.

If you pause the replay at 2:16 and look at the mini-map, you will see where you went wrong.

• Situational awareness, even at tier 1, is essential. Don't stray out on your own or you'll get toasted.

This was a generally well-played battle.

• Accuracy seems to be a struggle. Be careful not to spray when you're not on target. Consider retrying your joystick?

Thanks for posting these. Hope any feedback helps.

:honoring:

'Customize Your Carousel' thread - LINK

Custom skins for I-16(L), LBSh, & IL-20 - LINK

mullyman #24 Posted 20 April 2017 - 02:36 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 26178 battles
  • [WHAWK] WHAWK

P51 battle - 1st video I watched..no offence but you are really bad at this.    1) You don't do anything for the 1st 3 minutes of the game while your team all dies. 2) You finally engage with 410,  shoot when you are not close to firing range,   pull of his tail when you DO get into fore range,  then let him come back head to head against you.     Clearly not ready for T6.

Mustang 1 battle - your team sucked.  But you still attempted to shoot a plane well out of range and stalled out while trying to climb without using boost.    Battle went too fast to critique anything else.

Goldfinch T1 - this is an all T1 battle vs 1 human and drone bots.   You still shoot at planes not even close to being in range (one plane was 1500M away!!!).    You target fixate and don't use your other radars enough to see what's getting behind you.  Other than that, good battle.

Other Goldfinch T1 - you flew off on your own and flew right into a group of 7 red planes.   What did you expect to happen after that other than a quick death?

Edited by mullyman, 20 April 2017 - 02:58 AM.

mullyman.png

Zapperguy #25 Posted 20 April 2017 - 03:47 AM

First Lieutenant

• -Community Ace-
  • 32568 battles
  • [CLOWN] CLOWN

View PostDEUT5CH, on 19 April 2017 - 05:43 PM, said:

http://s000.tinyuplo...729018473621484

this is am example of me trying to kill someone and out of no where this other a$$hole kills me at the last sec when the guy i chased only had 1 hp

here is an example of "what the h3ll is going on and how the f did I die?"

http://s000.tinyuplo...119996016735653

and this is the most typical game play when using tire 1 planes

http://s000.tinyuplo...567199279874282

Good altitude at the start, but you didn't do anything with it.

At the 2:20 mark, you had a great opportunity to dive down and pounce on 2 enemy, but you remained out of the fight until over 2 minutes later.

You did well boosting up and away after your first run on the 410. You then started to go head-on with it (a big no-no) and peeled off but took considerable damage.

You became target-focused and got tunnel vision. The Spit that killed you was on the mini-map for several seconds before you got killed. Stuff happens fast at higher tiers. A few seconds of inattention will get you killed.

At 1:56 you're all alone - check that mini-map. Don't get crafty trying to flank at this stage. Hide in the back of the pack and clean up after the bots & vets.

You need to watch your speed. You went into a stall and recovered with boost - that was good. Then you immediately tried to chase a HF up again with no momentum and low speed. If the multi-role didn't get you, the HF would have when you stalled again. Energy management is crucial in this game.

So, this one was interesting because at about 3:35 I was compelled to switch my view to free camera. I saw an enemy sweep in behind you on the mini-map & radar in a very un-bot-like manner. It was indeed the lone human on the other team. Fortunately for you, he was inexperienced or you might have been toast right there. After he did some damage on your tail, you maneuvered out of harm's way, only to go back to shooting a bot and letting him go. An experienced enemy wouldn't have let you get away with that. Otherwise, your flying is pretty good on the whole.

Thanks for sharing these and listening to the critiques. You will benefit from this, I'm sure.

Hope to see you in the skies!

DEUT5CH #26 Posted 20 April 2017 - 05:46 AM

Senior Airman

• 272 battles

These are some great critiques man!! very helpful! just one question, what do you mean bots vs human? are there AIs in tire 1? so all the 8 kills or 7 kills per game, all i killed were AIs bots? or mostly bots? 

and also, there are often times when I'll get into a situation where the enemy and me fly around in circles with each other. that's really really really boring and extremely annoying. At that point I'd rather "back to hanger" than keep fighting. Seriously how can i avoid getting into these kind of situation? I don't even want to know how to get out, let me in some advice on how to NOT get into these situation.

unrelated: how the h3ll does the exp work?

I kill 6-8 planes and win, I get 1100 exp to 1300 exp;

I kill 6-8 planes and lose, I get 200????????? 200??? Really? 

and there was this one game I used a premium fighter, i got in the game and didnt do anything at all and died, afterwards my team won, I earned 441(x2) exp. So ... I do nothing, team win, i get 200 exp?? shouldn't I just get 0? 

It's really that big a difference?  

Edited by DEUT5CH, 20 April 2017 - 05:55 AM.

DEUT5CH #27 Posted 20 April 2017 - 05:51 AM

Senior Airman

• 272 battles

View Postmullyman, on 20 April 2017 - 02:36 AM, said:

P51 battle - 1st video I watched..no offence but you are really bad at this.    

yeah you don't say haha

View PostZapperguy, on 20 April 2017 - 03:47 AM, said:

Thanks for sharing these and listening to the critiques. You will benefit from this, I'm sure.

Hope to see you in the skies!

Yeah of course. You guys are really helping me out here! I do really appropriate you took the time to watch all those crappy game plays and wrote all these critiques! 

Zapperguy #28 Posted 20 April 2017 - 06:36 AM

First Lieutenant

• -Community Ace-
  • 32568 battles
  • [CLOWN] CLOWN

View PostDEUT5CH, on 20 April 2017 - 01:46 AM, said:

These are some great critiques man!! very helpful! just one question, what do you mean bots vs human? are there AIs in tire 1? so all the 8 kills or 7 kills per game, all i killed were AIs bots? or mostly bots? 

and also, there are often times when I'll get into a situation where the enemy and me fly around in circles with each other. that's really really really boring and extremely annoying. At that point I'd rather "back to hanger" than keep fighting. Seriously how can i avoid getting into these kind of situation? I don't even want to know how to get out, let me in some advice on how to NOT get into these situation.

and there was this one game I used a premium fighter, i got in the game and didnt do anything at all and died, afterwards my team won, I earned 441(x2) exp. So ... I do nothing, team win, i get 200 exp?? shouldn't I just get 0? 

Most of the "players" you see in game are bots (ai). We unfortunately have a very low population of human players; so, WG had to fill in with bots after some failed patches that drove many players away. 

I've included 3 screenshots in my spoiler. Many players use a mod called Hryunomod which does a few things. Most importantly it gives you player ratings and lets you instantly discern bots from humans. It's how I knew how many battles your opponents had in my review.

Spoiler

As far as turn-fighting goes, I find it one of the most intense, exciting parts of this game. You must figure out how to outmaneuver (rudder can be huge here) your enemy without leaving yourself vulnerable. It may not prove to be your favorite aspect of the game, but by all means please don't back out to the hangar because you don't like how a battle is going.

You get in that situation by becoming target focused and chasing him all over creation before you realize you're chasing him in a circle. If your plane has the maneuverability advantage then good for you. If it doesn't, then you just flew yourself into a bad situation. You need to learn what each plane's strengths and weaknesses are and learn to exploit them. Most of that learning will only come with more battles.

Edit: Picture links modified to display full screen.

Edited by Zapperguy, 20 April 2017 - 02:12 PM.

Dsembr_Rein #29 Posted 20 April 2017 - 06:48 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 10171 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-

View PostDEUT5CH, on 20 April 2017 - 12:46 AM, said:

Yes, there are bots in every tier. You can identify them easily by their names, they'll have a single name that fits their aircraft's nationality. You can double check by holding down the ctrl key and right clicking their name. If a menu pops up, they're human, if not they're a bot.

View PostDEUT5CH, on 20 April 2017 - 12:46 AM, said:

Turn fights are a part of the game and require patience. As long as you are both deadlocked, the first person to turn out of it usually loses, and the longer you wait the better chance that it'll be the other guy. The best way to avoid them is to either single out the more maneuverable aircraft on the other team and take them out when they're distracted, or fly heavies and other "boom and zoom" style aircraft, which require their own brand of patience as well. 

DEUT5CH, on 20 April 2017 - 12:46 AM, said:

WG hasn't shared the exact formula, but these are some of the factors that we know about:

How much damage you dealt

What type of aircraft you damaged

What tier of aircraft you damaged

How much damage you dealt to ground targets

How many ground targets you destroyed

How many kills you get

How many assists you get

How long you were engaged with an enemy

What medals/ribbons/awards you got

Whether you won or lost

Whether you survived or not

Damage to aircraft is one of the biggest contributors, though, so getting a kill on an enemy that's down to single digit health won't get you as much XP as an enemy that had full health. A win gives you 50% more XP than if you had lost, and surviving gives you another bonus. 

hardy_noob #30 Posted 20 April 2017 - 03:01 PM

Senior Airman

• 1705 battles
  • [HLBL] HLBL

@ DEUT5SCH:

I am a beginner like you. I have read the tips of the experienced pilots here very intensive.

Thanks also from me to the top pilots, who have answered here the beginner questions very well.

Many tips were concerned with looking at the minimap. That's easier said than done. If one is concerned with bringing the pointer to the target point, it is difficult to keep the minimap in sight at the same time.
I also work very hard on this art but it becomes better and better with plenty more battles.

As Yoda would say: "A long way to become a Jedi it is, but a good Padawan being helps."

Zapperguy #31 Posted 20 April 2017 - 03:37 PM

First Lieutenant

• -Community Ace-
  • 32568 battles
  • [CLOWN] CLOWN

View Posthardy_noob, on 20 April 2017 - 11:01 AM, said:

@ DEUT5SCH:

I am a beginner like you. I have read the tips of the experienced pilots here very intensive.

Thanks also from me to the top pilots, who have answered here the beginner questions very well.

Many tips were concerned with looking at the minimap. That's easier said than done. If one is concerned with bringing the pointer to the target point, it is difficult to keep the minimap in sight at the same time.
I also work very hard on this art but it becomes better and better with plenty more battles.

Welcome to WoWP. Glad some of the tips are helping you too. Regarding watching the mini-map and radar while engaging an enemy, this will indeed come with more experience. It is not unlike a new driver on a busy highway - very intimidating with so much to keep track of. After you've been driving for a while, rush hour is merely annoying, not intimidating any longer. It will become second nature to use these adjuncts to assist in situational awareness. Practice, practice, practice.

Reviewing your own replays can help too. If you can't figure out what you did wrong in a battle you can always post the replay as DEUT5CH did, and ask a vet to review it.

Happy Flying!

RedSpartacus #32 Posted 20 April 2017 - 04:34 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 17047 battles
  • [GW__S] GW__S

I'd like to add a comment to the minimap/radar. There's a circle you can adjust in size (you can call it zooming). For the slower moving planes in the lower tiers you can minimize the diameter. All planes outside the circle are not imminent threads. That reduces the planes you need to keep an eye on.

RUN WITH THE PACK

Jack_Pelter_The_Chicken #33 Posted 20 April 2017 - 06:03 PM

Senior Airman

• 76 battles

just like to offer my support to you,keep plodding on ,there really arn't any short cuts.

im new to this game,fortunetly for me ive manged to pick it up pretty quickly

theres a lot of good advice here,and im trying to take it in!

I play with a mouse,never tried joystick,when I play theres very little skill involved its just a point click action!

I do climb high always,and cut revs to 0, survey the ground and yes im sorry to say i target human opponents first.

ive only played tier 1 games,thats all I will play until I feel confident enough to move on to a higher tier ,if it takes 1000+ games then so be it!

if you need any help just send an invite,we can learn the game together,that goes for any other newbies!

all the best jack

flying around in circles,im afraid is part of the game,somebody gave me a tip NEVER RUN best tip ive had!

Edited by Jack_Pelter_The_Chicken, 20 April 2017 - 06:24 PM.

mullyman #34 Posted 20 April 2017 - 07:05 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 26178 battles
  • [WHAWK] WHAWK

View PostDEUT5CH, on 20 April 2017 - 01:51 AM, said:

yeah you don't say haha

Yeah of course. You guys are really helping me out here! I do really appropriate you took the time to watch all those crappy game plays and wrote all these critiques! 

​Keep the positive attitude.   The fact that you want to get better shows you will end up better than most.
mullyman.png

hardy_noob #35 Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:26 AM

Senior Airman

• 1705 battles
  • [HLBL] HLBL

View PostRedSpartacus, on 20 April 2017 - 04:34 PM, said:

I'd like to add a comment to the minimap/radar. There's a circle you can adjust in size (you can call it zooming). For the slower moving planes in the lower tiers you can minimize the diameter. All planes outside the circle are not imminent threads. That reduces the planes you need to keep an eye on.

I see the circle, but how can i adjust its size?
As Yoda would say: "A long way to become a Jedi it is, but a good Padawan being helps."

Zapperguy #36 Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:50 AM

First Lieutenant

• -Community Ace-
  • 32568 battles
  • [CLOWN] CLOWN

View Posthardy_noob, on 21 April 2017 - 05:26 AM, said:

I see the circle, but how can i adjust its size?

Use [ & ] to adjust radar range. Using + or - changes the size of your mini-map.

:great:

MHertz05 #37 Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:56 AM

Senior Airman

• 3680 battles
  • [X3M] X3M
dein rang und dein schrei hat keine bedeutung, du brauchst mehr bier und übe!!:izmena::child::facepalm::P:trollface::playing::coin::kamikaze::honoring:

There is a fine line between cleaverness and cowardice, wich i DON'T care..

hardy_noob #38 Posted 22 April 2017 - 07:51 AM

Senior Airman

• 1705 battles
  • [HLBL] HLBL

View PostZapperguy, on 21 April 2017 - 09:50 AM, said:

Use [ & ] to adjust radar range. Using + or - changes the size of your mini-map.

:great:

i know to size the hole minimap. Can i also size only the circle in the minimap?

Edited by hardy_noob, 22 April 2017 - 07:51 AM.

Psicko23 #39 Posted 22 April 2017 - 08:42 AM

First Lieutenant

• 18527 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-

View Posthardy_noob, on 21 April 2017 - 11:51 PM, said:

i know to size the hole minimap. Can i also size only the circle in the minimap?

Question for you. Do you have radar equipped as well as the mini map? They are two different things. you should equip the radar if you don't. To equip radar: 

Go into settings, click the battle tab. Check the box that says radar. Also, you can personalize your HUD here. Such as aim reticle,  degree of climb or dive, regular and barometric altitude, etc.

To answer you first question. In order to make the radar and the circle on the mini map smaller or bigger, you need to use these buttons: [ and ]

Rhoetus #40 Posted 09 May 2017 - 11:10 PM

Airman Basic

• 777 battles

Okay, I want to jump in here.
I started playing with the Beta, so my 744 battles is a bit subjective... maybe 744 with the "modern" setup.

I used to be okay. Not real good, not bad, but not useless, and not an embarrassment to have on your team.

Now, I can't do anything. The only way I get kills is if someone runs into the back of my ground attacker. (or maybe if my gunner shoots a very low hp enemy)

I started playing a lot of GA because putting me in a fighter is about pointless, and heavy fighters just means that the other team's HFs shoot me down before they are in my range.

Multirole means that I am even less maneuverable and slower than if I'm in a fighter.

I want to like this game so much. I keep coming back to it, but I genuinely have no idea what to do to not be so frustrated that I have to walk away for months at a time.

Really, I wonder if anything would be different if I just started a match and walked away. -I never help my team.
I've looked at your recommendations to Deutch and I do that stuff. -stick with the pack, don't chase heavies, leave attackers for last, and so forth. None of it matters. There is no learning curve, it is either my team wins the match or not. The only time I get a good score is if my team wins and keeps them off my GA so I can rack up some points on ground targets. ...which doesn't actually help my team one iota.

you say to grind through, but take my P38 tier V for instance- in order to get halfway decent guns and engines I'd have to play 40 games or more. (at the rate I earn xp in that plane) That is 40 games of frustration and mindless dying. And even then I'm not at the good weapons and engines, only ones that might keep me in the match a few seconds longer and do a couple more points of damage.

I can't help but compare this game to WoTanks, which I started playing while I waited for this game to come online. Sure, in WoT, you face tanks of higher tiers, but there is terrain to utilize. I might not be able to go one on one with a tier higher tank, but I'm not usually just target practice. In WoWp, I'm not even useful target practice: I die too quickly. ...which the other guys never do. How do their guns do so much damage, while mine don't? I mean, if I have an enemy plane lined up, big, fat, red circle with my reticle right smack dab in the middle, and I open up, I pling him for a couple points, then he flies away. If bullets start flying near me, I'm twisting, turning, boosting, climbing, diving, whatever... none of it works, I'm reduced to a burning hulk in a moment.
I just don't get it. WoWp gives new players and just plain old flabbergasted ones absolutely no motivation to power through and keep playing.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users