Noob into the game be like... ...

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

DEUT5CH #1 Posted 18 April 2017 - 05:04 PM

Senior Airman

• 272 battles

In my last post I complained about how this game is so unbalanced and unfair, thus borderline unplayable. A lot of people gave me tons of advises and showed me tutorials. Well thank you guys for that. The most suggestion I get is to drop down to tire 1 and 2 planes to practice.

However:  

when I was playing tire 1 and 2 planes, I'd often be the one that kills the whole enemy team. Like 5-8 kills. The only time I get less than 5 kills is if my team has someone else just like me and we will be competing against each other. 

As soon as I jump into tire 3 and 4, there is almost no chance for me to survive because i often play against higher tire planes and heavies which for some reason, sometimes can be more maneuverable that my light fighter!! what is that about? 

I know a thing or two about airplanes, I've played x-plane, DCS,  prepar3d, and FSX for years. I know pretty much everything to know about controlling an airplane. But in this? heavies can out maneuver my fighter, that's just wrong.

I mean I can just stay in tire 1 and 2 and be like the guy that kills everyone. But we all hate that guy when we first starting to play a new game. I hate that guy and i don't want to be that guy. 

Like i said before, when I get into tire 5, the games always end in 30 sec, before i even have a chance to know whats going on, I die. 

Some of you may say again, practice. Well, when you die at the beginning of the game, you really can't practice much can you? 

Edited by DEUT5CH, 18 April 2017 - 05:06 PM.

mnbv_fockewulfe #2 Posted 18 April 2017 - 05:10 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 4377 battles
  • [JACS] JACS

Interesting, important: mouse or joystick control?

Dat nose

knows does doe

mnbv_fockewulfe.png

Quesnel #3 Posted 18 April 2017 - 05:14 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 12856 battles

Okay, perhaps the words aren't working in your favor and time to switch it up to something more visual. Do you have replays turned on? If not, load the game, go into Settings (the gear icon next to Profile, top middle of the screen), select Game and tick the box.

Now, play out a few battles in tier III and/or IV. By default, your replays should be saved here C:\Users\(whatever your name is)\Videos and pick out one to upload. Go to http://www.tinyupload.com/ and follow the instructions on your screen (no account needed) and copy the created link in a response.

Edited by Quesnel, 18 April 2017 - 05:15 PM.

GhostPrime #4 Posted 18 April 2017 - 05:31 PM

Community Coordinator

• Administrator
  • 1529 battles
  • [WGA-B] WGA-B
As Quesnel says a replay would help a lot. What plane(s) are you flying in?

Please read the WOWP Game and Forum rules.
Forum Rules - Game Rules - EULA - TOS
Find us on Facebook!

RedSpartacus #5 Posted 18 April 2017 - 06:06 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 17318 battles
  • [GW__S] GW__S

View Postmnbv_fockewulfe, on 18 April 2017 - 01:10 PM, said:

Never ever have I seen someone run flight simulators using a mouse. And here (flight sim) lies the problem. Coming from a flight simulator you need to adapt to this game.

One example in WOWP you can "drive" your plane around the corner by just using the rudder, you can't do this in a simulator. DEUT5CH do an experiment,

fly a steep curve and put the rudder to the opposite direction.

RUN WITH THE PACK

Zapperguy #6 Posted 18 April 2017 - 06:10 PM

First Lieutenant

• -Community Ace-
  • 32997 battles
  • [CLOWN] CLOWN

So, in looking over your planes & win rates, I'm not sure you are as dominant as you claim in the lower tiers, especially tier 2.

You have only two tier 2 planes, one of which you have flown once and won, and the other flown only 8 times winning only 3 of those battles.

Start at tier 2 and don't progress past tier 3 until you are winning more consistently. It's a tedious process, but subtle things you learn along the way even at those low tiers will pay dividends at higher tiers much later. At tier 2 you will face tiers 1, 2, and 3. It will better prep you for moving up to tier 3 when you are ready.

Spoiler

View PostDEUT5CH, on 18 April 2017 - 12:04 PM, said:

As soon as I jump into tire 3 and 4, there is almost no chance for me to survive because i often play against higher tire planes and heavies which for some reason, sometimes can be more maneuverable that my light fighter!! what is that about? 

I know a thing or two about airplanes, I've played x-plane, DCS,  prepar3d, and FSX for years. I know pretty much everything to know about controlling an airplane. But in this? heavies can out maneuver my fighter, that's just wrong.

I mean I can just stay in tire 1 and 2 and be like the guy that kills everyone. But we all hate that guy when we first starting to play a new game. I hate that guy and i don't want to be that guy. 

Like i said before, when I get into tire 5, the games always end in 30 sec, before i even have a chance to know whats going on, I die. 

Some of you may say again, practice. Well, when you die at the beginning of the game, you really can't practice much can you? 

Throttle control is huge in this game. Next time you're in a turnfight, try cutting your throttle to zero, while turning as hard as you can and applying flaps. Even clunky planes can outturn a fighter turning at full throttle. If you need to make a tight turn in a parking lot, do you go slow or do it full throttle? The same physics apply in the sky, you just drift a ton without realizing it.

Many flight sim players struggle initially with this game. It's arcadey compared to a sim, and the lack of a cockpit/1st person view is off-putting to some. There are camera mods you can try that allow for first person with a wide field of view (not sniper view). I have a 1st person only mod - no 3rd person that I won't fly without. There is no cockpit, 1st person in this game is simply placing the camera approx where the pilot sits and hiding the plane model. Maybe a different view or different controller could help, but what you likely need is just more battles.

Video of 1st person view in a battle.

http://forum.worldofwarplanes.com/index.php?/topic/18298-drsinisters-mod-pak-installer-v190-for-patch-1990/

http://forum.worldofwarplanes.com/index.php?/topic/32053-pigeon-kickers-mod-world/

Good luck!

:honoring:

Edited by Zapperguy, 18 April 2017 - 08:09 PM.

'Customize Your Carousel' thread - LINK

Custom skins for I-16(L), LBSh, & IL-20 - LINK

Rosebud #7 Posted 18 April 2017 - 06:59 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 11975 battles
  • [SICK] SICK

Deut5ch we all want you to stay and we all want to assist in your improvement, but its not going to be quick or painless process. You will be shot down...a lot, you will lose...a lot. During that time pay attention to how you were shot down. Think about how you got yourself into a situation where you were shot down. There is simply no way you can become aware of all of the dangers in a few hundred games...it takes thousands. The truth is you should learn more by losing then winning. The question you need to be asking yourself after each loss is this "How do I stop or avoid that from happening again?"

You'll get better, but its a long, long road. I'm sure everyone here hopes you are up to the task.

losttwo #8 Posted 18 April 2017 - 10:36 PM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 29924 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

Oh yeah, the old " how the heck can that plane out maneuver me " complaint.

Learn from your replays.

You are either flying in an alt account to win so many battles and do so well in low tiers or

you are descendant of Pinocchio.

Psicko23 #9 Posted 18 April 2017 - 11:23 PM

First Lieutenant

• 18606 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-

There are few times a heavy can out turn a light fighter, and it's usually if the light fighter pilot is doing something wrong. 

Get those replays going so we can see what's going on. 

Noreaga #10 Posted 19 April 2017 - 12:41 AM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 8691 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
Hey there

This game can give you fits if you expect the plane to actually behaverometly like it should.

There is vertical compression so 2 up is 1 accross, planes sort of feel like they are on rails so there really is no horizontal slip. This is why i went to the mouse, the physics would give me fits and id expect the plsne to behave like a sim when i would js ( Rudder is interesting too  

HAVE more t9 killing me sorry

Nimis obnoxii curare

mullyman #11 Posted 19 April 2017 - 01:20 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 26592 battles
  • [WHAWK] WHAWK
The funny part of this rant is his 36% win rate flying the "overpowered" T4 110B.
mullyman.png

Bobby_Tables #12 Posted 19 April 2017 - 03:01 AM

• 23817 battles
  • [WHAWK] WHAWK

Hey Man,

Good job posting to the forums and asking for advice.  I think some of the previous advice is spot on.  You probably need to stick to tier 2 (not tire, btw) and spread out your plane selection.  I know some people who stubbornly held onto one or two lines of planes for sooooo long and would not branch out.  To know your enemy is to become your enemy and then you can figure out how to defeat them.  That means backing up and getting experience in light fighters, multi-roles, heavies, and yes, even ground attack.  

I am speaking from experience.  I was all gung ho on moving up the lines because, like you, I would be in a T3 and get slammed by a T4 and think that all I needed was a T4.  It went on and on like that.  I was going down the American line (Amerikaaaa, F-yah!).  I eventually branched out and before I knew more (I did not visit the forums until like 2000+ battles) I thought I was the MAN in my 110B.  Then I realized it was one of the most capable planes at that tier and I was like, oh, OK, I still suck. :-(  Then I started to branch out to other lines and other forms of play and learned a lot from doing that.  

You have far too few battles to complain, but I think you are realizing that so good on you, mate.  Branch out, learn, watch videos, etc.  (there is a ton of web information on energy fighting and Basic Fighter Maneuvers) .  One of the best lessons I got was on how to use a modified barrel roll to maintain energy yet stay on a slow moving plane's tail.  

I still suck, but not as sucky as I was before.  Keep it up.  Ask for flights, learn, it's a good game but damn frustrating at times.  The only reason I stuck with it is that I love planes and the simulated air combat is better than all the FPS games IMO.  

[Edit] Oh yeah, the dramatic music still has me hooked and that has not changed in years and years.  I am addicted to that game music.  I miss El Halluf's music and love when I go low tier for daily missions and hear the siren call of El Halluf.  Some day you might have the same nostalgia.  

Edited by Bobby_Tables, 19 April 2017 - 03:05 AM.

gerr22 #13 Posted 19 April 2017 - 05:48 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 14252 battles
  • [17SQ] 17SQ
stick with it dude we all still get shot down in all tier but as everybody says replay and learn no other way and forget all those other games this is a totally different monster with many flaws but the most addictive i have seen in a long while now go get em good luck

DEUT5CH #14 Posted 19 April 2017 - 06:33 AM

Senior Airman

• 272 battles

View Postmnbv_fockewulfe, on 18 April 2017 - 05:10 PM, said:

mouse. I tried to use a joystick, not working so well.

View PostGhostPrime, on 18 April 2017 - 05:31 PM, said:

As Quesnel says a replay would help a lot. What plane(s) are you flying in?

So many replays, really dont know which one was the actual gameplay that's worth watching. I right now I fly the german and UK tire 1 multi role planes and tire 6 UK mustang I, funny enough this planes seems to be working, only when i'm in luck though.

View PostZapperguy, on 18 April 2017 - 06:10 PM, said:

So, in looking over your planes & win rates, I'm not sure you are as dominant as you claim in the lower tiers, especially tier 2.

You have only two tier 2 planes, one of which you have flown once and won, and the other flown only 8 times winning only 3 of those battles.

Start at tier 2 and don't progress past tier 3 until you are winning more consistently. It's a tedious process, but subtle things you learn along the way even at those low tiers will pay dividends at higher tiers much later. At tier 2 you will face tiers 1, 2, and 3. It will better prep you for moving up to tier 3 when you are ready.

Throttle control is huge in this game. Next time you're in a turnfight, try cutting your throttle to zero, while turning as hard as you can and applying flaps. Even clunky planes can outturn a fighter turning at full throttle. If you need to make a tight turn in a parking lot, do you go slow or do it full throttle? The same physics apply in the sky, you just drift a ton without realizing it.

Many flight sim players struggle initially with this game. It's arcadey compared to a sim, and the lack of a cockpit/1st person view is off-putting to some. There are camera mods you can try that allow for first person with a wide field of view (not sniper view). I have a 1st person only mod - no 3rd person that I won't fly without. There is no cockpit, 1st person in this game is simply placing the camera approx where the pilot sits and hiding the plane model. Maybe a different view or different controller could help, but what you likely need is just more battles.

View Postmullyman, on 19 April 2017 - 01:20 AM, said:

The funny part of this rant is his 36% win rate flying the "overpowered" T4 110B.

I have no idea what plane to use so , I'm just messing around with all kinds of planes

Every time I turn I do hold 'S' cut throttle to 0% and extend flaps. I knew this from other flight sims. 

yeah I'm mostly "overpowered" in tire 1, don't really like tire 2, there are heavies when I play tire 2.  

Anyways, thank you all for your help. 

RedSpartacus #15 Posted 19 April 2017 - 11:01 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 17318 battles
  • [GW__S] GW__S

View PostDEUT5CH, on 19 April 2017 - 02:33 AM, said:

mouse. I tried to use a joystick, not working so well.  I've played x-plane, DCS,  prepar3d, and FSX for years  <--- did you know that you can adjust the joystick in all of these

RUN WITH THE PACK

Quesnel #16 Posted 19 April 2017 - 03:15 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 12856 battles

View PostDEUT5CH, on 19 April 2017 - 06:33 AM, said:

So many replays, really dont know which one was the actual gameplay that's worth watching. I right now I fly the german and UK tire 1 multi role planes and tire 6 UK mustang I, funny enough this planes seems to be working, only when i'm in luck though.

Here is a multi-part suggestion then:

Go to your replays folder and either move them to another location or delete them. Then, load up the game and pick a plane either you are truly terrible in or one that you think you will be successful with. Fly a battle to the very best of your abilities. Locate and upload the replay and share the link in this thread. Read the advice and critiques offered by the community. Come to your own conclusions based on that feedback.

Simple.

Edited by Quesnel, 19 April 2017 - 03:15 PM.

Mackunaima #17 Posted 19 April 2017 - 03:16 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 20226 battles
  • [WHAWK] WHAWK

Complex physic mechanics

Innacurate Sim (this is arcade)

Bots built to face veteran players even or specially at low tiers

3d environment without first person view

and a lot of another things

But most important thing playing above low tiers: If on the enemy team have just a single vet player with a good set up, good crew and better equipments and knowing what his doing, well you are done.

This game is a free to play game, and this game has a lot of old players since begining. So you don't have yet the skin, the skill, the crew, the equipments and the credits to spend it to face a better experienced prepared player.

Like any other game based on experience spent on crew (avatar), for this game you are literally years behind other players. They have better crew (avatars) and they know how this game works.

Maybe in the nearly future you can get the knowledge but you still are going to suffer this lack of resources. So just after this you will be able to turn things equal. Aaaaand problably you are going to suffer another sickness.. The RNG God of bots.

Man, I still have a few things to consider about this game. Maybe Im going to make an explainning helpfull noob post. Beyond the mechanics and the planes.

My best advice. You have 3 choices:

- Be humble and ask for directly help to some good active player or clan to teach and carry you for a moment

- Accpet the challenge to grind alone

- Give up and go play another better game

Regards,

Mack

Edited by Mackunaima, 19 April 2017 - 03:17 PM.

"Certainty of death. Small chance of success. What are we waiting for?" - Gimli

Texthor #18 Posted 19 April 2017 - 03:26 PM

• 27602 battles
Do not pass GO.......head straight for the House of IL

Zapperguy #19 Posted 19 April 2017 - 03:46 PM

First Lieutenant

• -Community Ace-
  • 32997 battles
  • [CLOWN] CLOWN

View PostDEUT5CH, on 19 April 2017 - 01:33 AM, said:

mouse. I tried to use a joystick, not working so well.

I have no idea what plane to use so , I'm just messing around with all kinds of planes

Every time I turn I do hold 'S' cut throttle to 0% and extend flaps. I knew this from other flight sims. 

yeah I'm mostly "overpowered" in tire 1, don't really like tire 2, there are heavies when I play tire 2.  

Anyways, thank you all for your help. 

That is where you start to learn how to deal with Heavy Fighters while flying other plane types. If you think tier 2 HFs are a hassle, wait until you rush to the high tiers and meet the 262, 262 HGII, and 262 HGIII without the proper training.

Look at the battle counts of the people who are giving you some of this advice. Some of us have been playing this game for 5 years. While other flight game experience may help, you need to trust the folks who know the ins & outs of WoWP from years of playing experience.

When you check your profile in game, there is a checkbox at the bottom (see spoiler) that allows you to filter out planes without at least 50 battles. The reason that option is there is because no matter how confident you feel after a few battles, WG realizes that you won't have a clue what you are doing in most new planes for at least 50 battles. It allows experienced players to view their stats without including planes they haven't flown enough to master. Currently all of your planes fall into that category. Despite what you may want to hear, you just need to keep practicing with the planes you already have.

Spoiler

:honoring:

'Customize Your Carousel' thread - LINK

Custom skins for I-16(L), LBSh, & IL-20 - LINK

pyantoryng #20 Posted 19 April 2017 - 09:22 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 12000 battles

Spend some more time...get to controlling your plane, then you can worry about downing enemies.

Mind your craft's optimal (bright green) speed range - slowing down do not necessarily help your plane turn faster, and mind your optimal altitude range also.

Bot heavy fighters are far less dangerous than the ones piloted by players with half a clue on how to use them...because the former don't abuse retain altitude while trying to kill you.

By the way, don't shoot ground targets as a fighter unless the situation calls for it...or you are in a tier 1.

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

11 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 11 guests, 0 anonymous users