What equipment do you run on your F-86A Sabre?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Silvin #1 Posted 14 April 2017 - 10:20 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 36 battles
  • [SF] SF

I finally unlocked the Sabre and I am wondering what equipment you are running.

I picked Engine Tuning, Radio Sight and Fuel Tank for my first run since they can be removed at no cost but I am sure they are not the best picks. I am considering Radio Sight, Lightweight Airframe and Control Surface Adjustment to be more maneuverable and to get better grouping of the 12.7 mms.

What do you recommend?

Thanks!

My tier 10 vehicles

WoT: E 100, Jagdpanzer E 100, G.W. E 100, Object 140, IS-7, Batignolles-Chatillon 25 t, AMX 50 Foch B, AMX 50 Foch (155), AMX 13 105, T57

WoWP: IL-40P, Me 262 III, F-86A, F7U, Me P.1102 B

WoWS: Montana, Des Moines, Gearing, Midway, Yamato, Shimakaze

Yes, I have tier 10 vehicles of each type in each game. PM me if you have done it as well because I have not yet found someone who has.

Rockstone_ #2 Posted 14 April 2017 - 10:33 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 5 battles
  • [-BFS-] -BFS-
lol sell it - its nice plane but does not compete well - I'm sure others will tell u different though.

Dave12w #3 Posted 14 April 2017 - 10:58 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 36 battles
  • [-ES-] -ES-

The main thing is to get into a firing position, on all

fighters I focus on increasing manoeurvibility and speed,

the main advantage of the f-86 is maneouribility so

thats the main one I'd try to increase.  So lightweight

aireframe, control surface adjustment and engine 

tunning.  Then I'd try to increase these further with

crew skills.

Edited by Dave12w, 14 April 2017 - 10:59 PM.

_Laserguided_ #4 Posted 14 April 2017 - 11:19 PM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

Looks nice in the hangar :P

Because it feels to me like you guys would rather play with [edit] Laserguided and that [edit] me off. A [edit]  lot.  -- Auto

"Dont doubt my computer skills,I started with a pentium 2" -- Chuck

Thanks zipper..-- Mars

scipionmk #5 Posted 14 April 2017 - 11:49 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 0 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-
Aircreft polish, control surface and engine tuning

GouIdy #6 Posted 15 April 2017 - 12:30 AM

First Lieutenant

• 6 battles

Improved covering, lightweight airframe, engine tuning

Aircraft polish benefits are negligible now after they re-worked equipment.

Gang_Starr #7 Posted 15 April 2017 - 03:03 AM

Captain

• 0 battles
  • [BAGG] BAGG
Yea polish is useless

Tenks

ArrowZ_ #8 Posted 15 April 2017 - 10:16 AM

First Lieutenant

• Open Beta Tester
  • 10 battles

Currently the Sabre feels relatively slow compared to the other t10 LFs, especially in energy fighting. Used to be amazing at it with a greater range "buzzsaw" MGs. Now it's been reduced to a close quarter brawler type of plane that's also quite squishy (easy to lose HP). Interesting direction with the nerfbat there by Persha. But nowadays harder hitting 20/30mm t10 Jets are way more efficient than an F-86 in pretty much everything including manoeuvrability, which seems to be your main focus. Oh and don't worry about your M3 MGs. They shred anything at close range so as long as you can get close and stay close long enough to spray n pray, you'll get along with the F-86 just fine. Accuracy isn't the problem. Its high altitude energy capabilities is lacking atm.

My suggestion would fall in line to what most of the guys above posted. And if you're looking for advice in Crew skill points for the Sabre -> Spend everything in SPEED both passive and unique abilities. Things like: Aerodynamics Expert, Engine Guru I & II, & Cruise Flight. Best survival crew skills are evasive tactics, battle tested, aerobatics expert (this last one will help you in manoeuvring). If you have poor aim and want more accuracy get marksman. 

That Ozi Client Side Lagger

Nvfx #9 Posted 15 April 2017 - 04:52 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 0 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

Arrowz's setup is dope pairing with scipionmk's equipment setup. but I run a little different because the cost of return for engine guru 2 is expensive to start off. I run the same setup as Gouldy, which is a more rounded setup for turn fight than pure speed. At the end of the day it really depends on your flying style.

Aerodynamics 

Engine 1 

Cruise flight

acrobatics

accuracy or you can run the below first if you like

Either evasive target or engine 2 if you have up to 13 points.

Edited by FIight, 15 April 2017 - 04:54 PM.

MelBrooks #10 Posted 15 April 2017 - 05:52 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 6 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC
Terrible what they did to it in my opinion. The losses in Korea were 792 MiG-15 to 78 Sabres as reported. A vastly better plane in reality than seen in the game. Our friends to the east just do not like to be shown up I guess.

Edited by MelBrooks, 15 April 2017 - 05:57 PM.

_Warchylde_ #11 Posted 15 April 2017 - 06:50 PM

First Lieutenant

• 1 battle
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

View PostMelBrooks, on 15 April 2017 - 12:52 PM, said:

Terrible what they did to it in my opinion. The losses in Korea were 792 MiG-15 to 78 Sabres as reported. A vastly better plane in reality than seen in the game. Our friends to the east just do not like to be shown up I guess.

Admittedly though, the main reason for the 10-1 kill ratio was the veteran, experienced pilots in the Sabres, and relatively inexperienced Chinese and N. Korean pilots in the MiGs.

(yes, there were a few veteran Soviet pilots, but they were in the minority).

Edited by _Warchylde_, 15 April 2017 - 06:51 PM.

"Shee, you guys are so unhip, it's a wonder your bums don't fall off!"

- Zaphod Beeblebrox

Silvin #12 Posted 16 April 2017 - 03:50 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 36 battles
  • [SF] SF
Thanks for your answers. I decided on Engine Tuning, Lightweight Airframe and Control Surfaces. Only two games so far but they both went very well.

My tier 10 vehicles

WoT: E 100, Jagdpanzer E 100, G.W. E 100, Object 140, IS-7, Batignolles-Chatillon 25 t, AMX 50 Foch B, AMX 50 Foch (155), AMX 13 105, T57

WoWP: IL-40P, Me 262 III, F-86A, F7U, Me P.1102 B

WoWS: Montana, Des Moines, Gearing, Midway, Yamato, Shimakaze

Yes, I have tier 10 vehicles of each type in each game. PM me if you have done it as well because I have not yet found someone who has.

Agnotology #13 Posted 17 April 2017 - 06:58 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 538 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

aircraft polish is only useful in planes that use dive speed as a form of evasion. XF-90 and F7U come to mind. 

Your weak points in an F86A are its guns and its wide cone of fire despite being cowling-mounted.
Its upsides are speed and manuevarability.

You want to maximize its strengths while minimizing it's weaknesses.
pilots should go Engine Guru I, Marksman 1, Aerodynamics Expert, Aerobatics Expert. This uses your first 8 points, and helps with the weakest parts of your plane while improving the best. Your next 6 points can be distributed based on your personal preferences, but I would personally go for Evasive Target followed by resilience or Marksman 2.. Cruise Flight helps with initial climb and regaining altitude after a fight - not something an F86A will ever have an issue with.

To assist with the relative weakness of your plane inability to take fire, I run Improved covering. This is more for the reduced crit chance than the added HP. To boost it's speed, Engine tuning, which then also gives an extra 2% to engine power from Aerodynamics Expert - same benefit at Engine Guru 2 but costs one less point. Lastly, I take improved radio sight to make the cone of fire much tighter which helps with your ability to quickly take planes down, and greatly helps when you are hitting someone near the end of your .50 cals range. 

Running a lightweight airframe will only help you in a fight against another F86A, but in reality whoever gets behind the other first wins. The F86a will not get out turned by anything because it isn't running the LWA, or be able to out turn something because it is. Where you will see gains running this is turning back onto a heavy fighter which is what you were made to take down. With proper positioning as you dodge, the benefit is minimal. 

Edited by Agnotology, 17 April 2017 - 07:04 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users