Minor Nations' Planes You Would Like to See?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Fog_Heavy_Cruiser_Chokai #1 Posted 12 April 2017 - 05:25 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 6742 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

Howdy, good ol' Chokai/Nukemind here. I've often seen new lines looked forward too: France and Italy, the Grumman line, Russian Heavies, Hawkers, Japanese Heavies or Attackers, etc. But one thing that isn't often talked about is the planes of minor powers.

So it got me thinking, and curious- what planes would you like to see that "minor" powers fielded? Personally, I would love to see a "Minor" tree, probably all premium. Always wanted to see the IAR 80 fly ingame. Pretty much any Polish plane too- like the PZL 24. The Fokker planes of the Dutch (how humorous, Fokker planes fighting Germans. Always gave me a chuckle.) The Swedish planes as well the the native Finnish plane. All are interesting to me. Was wondering what other people would like to see.

The (not so) amazing Chokai is back! And he's hit all his personal goals sans one! Seriously though, nice to be back, looks like he game is improving. I continue to try to recruit new people.

J311yfish #2 Posted 12 April 2017 - 07:22 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 17872 battles
  • [343] 343

Projects below graded by level of refinement (1=rough, 5=refined)

Major - Axis

Japan (5)

Italy (3)

Germany (1)

Major - Allied

UK (3.5) -- Hawker, Westland Whirlwind/Welkin, De Havilland Vampire/Venom/Vixen

France (4)

USA (2)

China (3.5)

USSR

Neutral

Sweden (5) -- little known fact: Sweden produced approximately the same amount of post-WWII jets (~1,122) as France (~1,136).

Argentina -- Pulqui I/II, Nancu

Switzerland -- EKW C-36, EFW N-20

Spain -- Spanish Civil War skins

Minor

Finland (3) -- skins

Poland (2)

Brazil (2)

India

more

Edited by J311yfish, 12 April 2017 - 07:36 AM.

Tech tree projects:  JAPAN  /  United Kingdom  /  Sweden  /  Finland (skins/  Italy  /  France  /  Poland  /  China  /  Brazil  /  United States  //  Roadmap

Map proposals:  Panama Canal  /  Great Wall of China  /  Cliffs of Dover  //  Clan:  343 Kokutai  //  Tutorial How to ignore forum posts and signatures

20thCenturyLtd #3 Posted 12 April 2017 - 05:23 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 18543 battles

View PostFog_Heavy_Cruiser_Chokai, on 11 April 2017 - 11:25 PM, said:

Howdy, good ol' Chokai/Nukemind here. I've often seen new lines looked forward too: France and Italy, the Grumman line, Russian Heavies, Hawkers, Japanese Heavies or Attackers, etc. But one thing that isn't often talked about is the planes of minor powers.

So it got me thinking, and curious- what planes would you like to see that "minor" powers fielded? Personally, I would love to see a "Minor" tree, probably all premium. Always wanted to see the IAR 80 fly ingame. Pretty much any Polish plane too- like the PZL 24. The Fokker planes of the Dutch (how humorous, Fokker planes fighting Germans. Always gave me a chuckle.) The Swedish planes as well the the native Finnish plane. All are interesting to me. Was wondering what other people would like to see.

In the past I have suggested the Israeli Avia S199(a czech buit 109G with a He bomber engine), The Fokker XXI LF, and Fokker G.1 HF, plus Spanish Civil War skins for the various German & Russian aircraft used in the conflict. As for the Finns, let it be noted that they did not have any "native" aircraft as you stated. All of their inventory were imports & captured. WG would probably not do historically acurate markings due to their prohibition on swastikas. However after the Finns switched sides and changed to a plain blue cross, it would not be an issue.

Ace_BOTlistic_Cosmo #4 Posted 13 April 2017 - 01:32 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 20848 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

I'd like to see WG use some of the pre 1944 planes from the Malaysian Air Force. A few independent designs by Colonel John Frum and Capt. Thomas Navy would be a nice inclusion.

Edited by Ace_BOTlistic_Cosmo, 13 April 2017 - 01:33 AM.

if the pilot's good, see, I mean, if he's really..sharp, he can barrel that baby in so low [he spreads his arms like wings and laughs],

you oughtta see it sometime, it's a sight. A big plane like a '52. VRROOM! There's jet exhaust, fryin' chickens in the barnyard.

MelBrooks #5 Posted 13 April 2017 - 02:57 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 30354 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

View PostAce_BOTlistic_Cosmo, on 12 April 2017 - 08:32 PM, said:

I'd like to see WG use some of the pre 1944 planes from the Malaysian Air Force. A few independent designs by Colonel John Frum and Capt. Thomas Navy would be a nice inclusion.

The dual nose mounted poison dart blowguns are devastating........

Omega_Weapon #6 Posted 13 April 2017 - 03:31 AM

• 10821 battles
  • [GRIEF] GRIEF
I'd love to see the Fokker D.XXI as used by the Finnish air force in WW II. Would make a really nice tier 4 premium. I'd prefer it attached to the German tree though so it can use German pilots.

_Warchylde_ #7 Posted 13 April 2017 - 03:33 AM

First Lieutenant

• 10947 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC
I wouldn't mind seeing some Italian planes, such as the Macchi C202, or the Reggiane Re.2005

Edited by _Warchylde_, 13 April 2017 - 03:38 AM.

"Shee, you guys are so unhip, it's a wonder your bums don't fall off!"

- Zaphod Beeblebrox

death2019 #8 Posted 13 April 2017 - 06:27 AM

• 24629 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-
:honoring:

Fog_Heavy_Cruiser_Chokai #9 Posted 16 April 2017 - 03:18 AM

• 6742 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G
Nice, thanks guys! Definetly some good ones! Never really thought about it, but yeah. I would consider Italy a minor power. Romania did more to help (win) the war than Italy, with their oil.

The (not so) amazing Chokai is back! And he's hit all his personal goals sans one! Seriously though, nice to be back, looks like he game is improving. I continue to try to recruit new people.

Omega_Weapon #10 Posted 16 April 2017 - 04:33 AM

• 10821 battles
  • [GRIEF] GRIEF

View Post20thCenturyLtd, on 12 April 2017 - 12:23 PM, said:

As for the Finns, let it be noted that they did not have any "native" aircraft as you stated. All of their inventory were imports & captured. WG would probably not do historically acurate markings due to their prohibition on swastikas. However after the Finns switched sides and changed to a plain blue cross, it would not be an issue.

​Does the VL Humu count as native? It was admittedly based on the Brewster Buffalo, but heavily modified to make use of wood rather than scarce metal. They built one prototype however testing in 1944 showed it was inferior to the already dated Buffalo, so it never entered production. I believe there was a similar project for an all wood Bf 109 G as well, but I don't think that one even got to prototype stage before the war ended.

Fog_Heavy_Cruiser_Chokai #11 Posted 16 April 2017 - 06:23 AM

• 6742 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

View Post20thCenturyLtd, on 12 April 2017 - 05:23 PM, said:

In the past I have suggested the Israeli Avia S199(a czech buit 109G with a He bomber engine), The Fokker XXI LF, and Fokker G.1 HF, plus Spanish Civil War skins for the various German & Russian aircraft used in the conflict. As for the Finns, let it be noted that they did not have any "native" aircraft as you stated. All of their inventory were imports & captured. WG would probably not do historically acurate markings due to their prohibition on swastikas. However after the Finns switched sides and changed to a plain blue cross, it would not be an issue.

As someone else noted, eventually they did. It had a very limited run though. They did rely mainly on foreign planes- Buffalos stripped down (which their top ace flew), captured Russian planes, a few Germans. They were SUPPOSED to receive French and British planes but that fell through.

Finland actually is one of my favorite nations of the Second World War. Only skin I ever downloaded for this game was so that I could have the Finnish Skin for the Buff. The difference in population was larger than that of Germany-Poland, and yet they held off the Russians for many days. They inflicted terrible casualties, and used what were viewed as "crap" planes to decimate the enemy. They did indeed have one or two native planes- example.

https://en.wikipedia.../wiki/VL_Myrsky That was their only mass produced one.

I actually talked alot about them on the WoWS forums, I did a write up on the Buffalo and talked about their aces.

http://forum.worldof...__fromsearch__1

The Avia would be interesting. If I remember it had alot of trouble due to the engine and frame causing balance problems. Still, there is some humor in a Nazi German plane flying for the Israeli air force, and it was pivotal in the early wars.

Omega_Weapon #12 Posted 16 April 2017 - 03:07 PM

• 10821 battles
  • [GRIEF] GRIEF

View PostFog_Heavy_Cruiser_Chokai, on 16 April 2017 - 01:23 AM, said:

They did indeed have one or two native planes- example.

​Cool find. Didn't know about that one.

20thCenturyLtd #13 Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:42 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 18543 battles

View PostFog_Heavy_Cruiser_Chokai, on 15 April 2017 - 09:18 PM, said:

Nice, thanks guys! Definetly some good ones! Never really thought about it, but yeah. I would consider Italy a minor power. Romania did more to help (win) the war than Italy, with their oil.

Sorry, but weren't they on the losing side ??

20thCenturyLtd #14 Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:44 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 18543 battles

View PostOmega_Weapon, on 15 April 2017 - 10:33 PM, said:

​Does the VL Humu count as native? It was admittedly based on the Brewster Buffalo, but heavily modified to make use of wood rather than scarce metal. They built one prototype however testing in 1944 showed it was inferior to the already dated Buffalo, so it never entered production. I believe there was a similar project for an all wood Bf 109 G as well, but I don't think that one even got to prototype stage before the war ended.

Yeah, do we really want more "paper napkin" planes Omega ??

20thCenturyLtd #15 Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:47 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 18543 battles

View PostFog_Heavy_Cruiser_Chokai, on 16 April 2017 - 12:23 AM, said:

As someone else noted, eventually they did. It had a very limited run though. They did rely mainly on foreign planes- Buffalos stripped down (which their top ace flew), captured Russian planes, a few Germans. They were SUPPOSED to receive French and British planes but that fell through.

Finland actually is one of my favorite nations of the Second World War. Only skin I ever downloaded for this game was so that I could have the Finnish Skin for the Buff. The difference in population was larger than that of Germany-Poland, and yet they held off the Russians for many days. They inflicted terrible casualties, and used what were viewed as "crap" planes to decimate the enemy. They did indeed have one or two native planes- example.

I actually talked alot about them on the WoWS forums, I did a write up on the Buffalo and talked about their aces.

http://forum.worldof...__fromsearch__1

The Avia would be interesting. If I remember it had alot of trouble due to the engine and frame causing balance problems. Still, there is some humor in a Nazi German plane flying for the Israeli air force, and it was pivotal in the early wars.

I stand corrected on the Myrsky. As for British aircraft, you are quite mistaken. The Finns received Gladiators & Blenheims just to name a few.

Edited by 20thCenturyLtd, 21 April 2017 - 09:49 PM.

Rosebud #16 Posted 22 April 2017 - 04:05 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 12059 battles
  • [SICK] SICK

Here's what I would like to see...

A separate category for minor nations. Since they do not individually have the planes to constitute a full nations tree, I would like to see a conglomerate.

This "Minor nations tree" would include Italian, Romanian, Greek and other smaller nations planes. I don't believe it would have to go all the way to tier ten. I see it more as a catch all for those interesting, but omitted planes that should be included in the WoWP roster.

Fog_Heavy_Cruiser_Chokai #17 Posted 27 April 2017 - 07:02 AM

• 6742 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

View PostOmega_Weapon, on 16 April 2017 - 03:07 PM, said:

​Cool find. Didn't know about that one.

Thanks! Yeah, I generally find minor nations to have the more interesting planes. Maybe because I just haven't read about them as much.

View Post20thCenturyLtd, on 21 April 2017 - 09:42 PM, said:

Sorry, but weren't they on the losing side ??

Yes. I meant Romania did more to switch the war to the Axis' favor. Romania actually had a rather large army for it's size, didn't get bogged down in Libya or Greece, and had valuable natural resources.

View Post20thCenturyLtd, on 21 April 2017 - 09:47 PM, said:

I stand corrected on the Myrsky. As for British aircraft, you are quite mistaken. The Finns received Gladiators & Blenheims just to name a few.

Correct, but they still received only outdated planes, and few of them. Compared to what they were initially promised, it was next to nothing. Realpolitik at its finest.

View PostRosebud, on 22 April 2017 - 04:05 AM, said:

Here's what I would like to see...

A separate category for minor nations. Since they do not individually have the planes to constitute a full nations tree, I would like to see a conglomerate.

This "Minor nations tree" would include Italian, Romanian, Greek and other smaller nations planes. I don't believe it would have to go all the way to tier ten. I see it more as a catch all for those interesting, but omitted planes that should be included in the WoWP roster.

This would defintely be a cool way to do it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users