One of the Greatest Fighters Pilots The USAF Ever Had!

Colonel Robin Olds

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Topsight #1 Posted 06 April 2017 - 04:04 PM

First Lieutenant

• 34405 battles
  • [-ES-] -ES-

Operation Bolo!

Colonel Robin Olds

"The deliberately planned fighter sweep went just as we'd hoped. The MiGs came up. The MiGs were aggressive. We tangled. They lost."

"One thing that sticks out to me, however, is this – in roughly every email I have ever received from airmen and pilots of the United States Air Force, one name appears front and center in gigantic italicized red text:  Colonel Robin Olds.  A three-time ace across two wars so balls-out that his moustache has its own chapter on his Wikipedia page, Robin Olds was an old-school blood-and-guts fighter pilot who pulled more Gs on his way to the bathroom than most mortal men ever dared to experience in their entire lives, and he could dogfight his way out of everything from a swirling flak-covered World War II air battle to the virtually-impossible final level of Ikaruga, then go home and sleep with his supermodel pin-up girl wife.  This was a charismatic, hardcore air warrior who knew the importance of keeping his interviews short, his inverted barrel rolls tight, and his machine gun bursts controlled, accurate, and as fatal as a mouthful of napalm."

Full article: http://www.badassoft...id=784151231971

20thCenturyLtd #2 Posted 06 April 2017 - 04:35 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 17994 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
"DogFight"...Awesome Video Doc series...Highly recommend...I own them all.

Recruitment Officer, Knights of Dracarys

Please PM me if interested in applying or for more information.

GhostPrime #3 Posted 06 April 2017 - 07:56 PM

Community Coordinator

• Administrator
  • 1328 battles
  • [WGA-B] WGA-B
great story, and Pilot! Thank you for Sharing Top! 

Please read the WOWP Game and Forum rules.
Forum Rules - Game Rules - EULA - TOS
Find us on Facebook!

Omega_Weapon #4 Posted 06 April 2017 - 08:04 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 9751 battles
  • [GRIEF] GRIEF

View Post20thCenturyLtd, on 06 April 2017 - 11:35 AM, said:

"DogFight"...Awesome Video Doc series...Highly recommend...I own them all.

​Me too. Love them. I remember there was talk of a season 3, but it never materialized. Was the series not popular enough to continue?

20thCenturyLtd #5 Posted 06 April 2017 - 08:09 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 17994 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostOmega_Weapon, on 06 April 2017 - 02:04 PM, said:

​Me too. Love them. I remember there was talk of a season 3, but it never materialized. Was the series not popular enough to continue?

IDK. History Channel went "UFO" shorty thereafter, maybe that is why.

Recruitment Officer, Knights of Dracarys

Please PM me if interested in applying or for more information.

Kiwiav8r #6 Posted 06 April 2017 - 08:53 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 11243 battles
  • [ACES_] ACES_
I've read Robin Old's biography, now there was a guy who truly was larger than life.  Definitely worth a read, there's enough material for several books.

"Credibility down, Kill Ratio up!" - Joe 'Hoser' Satrapa

Aces (pre v1.9):  Bulldog, A4N, Hawk III, F2A-1, I-16(e), Skua, Ar68, A6M1, P-36, XF4F-3, Bf-109B, Bf-110B, Bf-110 C6, Blenheim, Bf-109E, Bf-110E, P-40, P-40 M105, XFL-1, Spitfire I, M.20, Beaufighter, IL-2 (mod), XF4U-1, Mosquito, P-51A, Yak-7, Yak-1M, Bf-109F, La-5, Spitfire V, Me-410, F4U-1, Fw-190 A5, Yak-9, XP-50, P-39Q-15, Mustang Mk 1, P-38J, P-51D, Yak-9U, Bf-109G, La-7, Spitfire IX, A7M, Fw-190D, F7F, Yak-15, Me-262

KloudRains #7 Posted 07 April 2017 - 04:36 PM

Master Sergeant

• 28762 battles
  • [-BFS-] -BFS-

The real Robin Olds IMO was even a better man and a better warrior than described in the words above and at the link. He was highly accomplished in so many ways. He went through West Point in three years rather than the standard four - a special arrangement during WW II for a few classes. As a three-year cadet he became an All-American tackle and was later inducted into the Football Hall of Fame. Concurrent to this he went through intensive pilot training an a nearby base. This was another acceleration effort of the war years. So, he was a pilot upon graduation, going more quickly into the war operations. 

Robin Olds shot down at least 11 aircraft in WW II and four in Vietnam. He was stymied at Brigadier General in a time the bomber [edited]still ran the Air Force. He exposed a number of them and contributed much to the fighter pilots coming to take over the Air Force. 

His almost Ace achievement in Vietnam is where we find the magnificence of Robin; he was far more than a great fighter. He was a passionate warrior who led great pilots from the front and gave all respect. He gave all his support. There are many tales of how he took care of the people he commanded. But, about the four kills. Robin actually could have killed a couple more to become the first Vietnam Ace; to burnish his book record even more. The fact is that he would have been taken out of the battle when he did that. Robin set up at least two kills which he passed to his wingman or element leader. Called for them to take the kill. This is reported and verified by those who were there. There was just things far more important to Robin Olds than some numbers in a tally sheet.

I flew with Robin a couple of times. We were both at Tucson making transition to flying the F4C. I was changing from the F-100 and returning to my base in Germany and he was coming out of a desk job en route to command of the 8th Wing at Ubon - where he shot down the official four more. He had Bill Kirk assigned as his instructor to take him through a tailored check-out. A few years later Bill Kirk was my commander at a different base, in a different role. One flight, Robin and I were in the same four-ship training flight, which included delivering training bombs and rockets on a scored gunnery range near Ajo. It was the first with ordnance in the F4C for all pilots. The custom was to wager a quarter a bomb and rocket on best score, as agreed during flight briefing. This meant that the one who had the best score of the first bomb dropped and rocket fired took the quarters of the other guys; the same with the second, the third and so forth.  This rather puny bet was more about pride and bragging rights, than anything. I was proud that day to divide the payoff with Robin and taking a bigger share than did he and did brag about it. Heheh.... I followed his performance as commander of the 8th at Ubon and had a bit of contact in later years. The last time I saw him he was the speaker at a closed dinner for air crews completing the F4E Fighter Weapons School.He then was head of safety for the Air Force as a Brigadier General. He gave a fine speech and i can still remember some of the content. Afterwards, he jumped right in with us to have the usual rowdy, truly boisterous conclusion, with singing and loud, smiling talk. He was one of us.

He was better than us.

FreeFOXMIKE #8 Posted 08 April 2017 - 11:23 AM

G.A.T.P. (Global Alpha Test Pilot)

• 17922 battles
  • [332ND] 332ND

OMG I remember this pic back when it was posted ------ dang it did I age my self again    lol  :great::honoring:

Edited by FreeFOXMIKE, 08 April 2017 - 11:24 AM.

332 Virtual  Fighter  Group

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users