Support – Wired players know your LAN cabling for your network

LAN Network Cabling

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

FlakValleyExpress #1 Posted 04 April 2017 - 10:59 AM

Captain

• 11948 battles

Laag. Its a problem we all know in on-line gaming. The problem can occur with fragmented SATA drive(s) (SSDs are exempt), Firewall rules not allowing access to game servers, Anti-Virus software scanning running software, and Internet service providers. All of these items can have delay (Lag) game play. However there is one thing that is usually overlooked for on-line games for wired networks, its the LAN cable.

The lesson I learned recently is not choosing the correct network cable. To explain I had various network connections from DSL to Fiber Optics for on-line gaming. And during that time some equipment is used from previous setups. In my case I was using an old Cat5 LAN cable from the DSL days. Granted the network configuration does work, but there are at times unexplained network problems causing lag or slowdowns.

Enter the age of knowledge in finding out what you have for a system network when you get a new 1GB network router. I found an article that was discussing LAN cables and found out that my LAN cable was not up to code. Plus add to the fact I have a 1 GB network card too. So I was creating a network choke point with the wrong LAN cable.

To explain more, here are the specs to LAN cables:

Type Cat5 Cat5e Cat6
Speed 100Mbps 1000Mbps 10 Gbps over 33-55 meters (110-165 feet) of cable
Maximum Cable Length

100 meters

(328 feet)

100 meters

(328 feet)

100 meters for slower network speeds (up to 1,000 Mbps) and higher network speeds over short distances.

For Gigabit Ethernet, 55 meters max, with 33 meters in high crosstalk conditions.

Granted Cat6(a) is the last spec for LAN networking, however do most home networks really have 10GB router? Again pricing is the driving cost in my study in finding the correct solution.

I then went to the local hardware store and spent $2.97 on a 3 foot Cat5e LAN cable between my router and desktop system. And as a result I can notice a difference in the game play. The Internet is faster, I calculated my downloads/uploads are 87% faster. YouTube is not buffering most of the time. I am not noticing any perceived lag in games as I had before. So in summation, if you are a wired network player, verify that your network cable is the correct one. Don't be RU player operating on old equipment and complaining to WG for network lagging whoas for a bad setup.

Airborne Scout - Class of 1.0

Fidei Defensor of WoWP,  Fortissimus Spei,  Amicus Autem Multis

"Battle is the Great Redeemer. It is the fiery crucible in which true heroes are forged. The one place where all men truly share the same rank, regardless of what kind of parasitic scum they were going in."

To clear WoWP Cache -Please press the windows key + r to open the 'run' dialog. Then type in %temp%\wargaming.net Then delete the "wowp" folder. This will clear the game cache

gerr22 #2 Posted 04 April 2017 - 11:31 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 13913 battles
  • [17SQ] 17SQ
thanks for the tip and guess what i have the wrong cable so off to shops i will be going

pigeon_kicker #3 Posted 04 April 2017 - 11:40 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Open Beta Tester
  • 19909 battles
  • [SF] SF

View PostFlakValleyExpress, on 04 April 2017 - 05:59 AM, said:

Granted the network configuration does work, but there are at times unexplained network problems causing lag or slowdowns.

Nice find flak.

But if i may add a small detail.

• There are 2(Two) ways that LAN cabling is wired
  • 1st is a "Patch" cable, it has all of the tiny twisted pairs going DIRECTLY straight thru the plugs, made for computer to computer connections.
  • 2nd is a "Switched" cable, it has the Transmit/Receive lines attached differently, NOT straight thru. Made for Computer to Router to Computer

Point is, if you get the type that is a "Patch" style, your Network Adapters have to do the workload of turning it into a "Switched" plug

Get one that is Pre-Switched..

PK

Edited by pigeon_kicker, 04 April 2017 - 11:43 AM.

If you want to make god laugh, tell him about your plans for survival..

Lead developer for the NACCW web site. Author of the Pigeon Pak Mod Installer

www.team-sf.com

Perco_lator #4 Posted 04 April 2017 - 01:43 PM

Master Sergeant

• 85 battles

View Postpigeon_kicker, on 04 April 2017 - 06:40 AM, said:

Nice find flak.

But if i may add a small detail.

• There are 2(Two) ways that LAN cabling is wired
  • 1st is a "Patch" cable, it has all of the tiny twisted pairs going DIRECTLY straight thru the plugs, made for computer to computer connections.
  • 2nd is a "Switched" cable, it has the Transmit/Receive lines attached differently, NOT straight thru. Made for Computer to Router to Computer

Point is, if you get the type that is a "Patch" style, your Network Adapters have to do the workload of turning it into a "Switched" plug

Get one that is Pre-Switched..

PK

Actually you have that backwards, a patch cable is used to connect a computer to a hub switch/router & a crossover cable is used for a direct computer to computer connection & is required more commonly when connecting two larger switches & hubs together. 

RedSpartacus #5 Posted 04 April 2017 - 02:41 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 17046 battles
  • [GW__S] GW__S

Here's a guy talking about the different standards, I watched the first few minutes only, think that's enough.

RUN WITH THE PACK

Lethalhavoc #6 Posted 04 April 2017 - 07:09 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2965 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

So you're saying my cat5 is out of date huh?

I guess i'll go get some new stuff, thanks for the heads up.

MARS_REVENANT #7 Posted 04 April 2017 - 10:17 PM

Major

• 31869 battles
  • [SICK] SICK

I was hoping this would solve some issues I have been having, but I do have Cat. 5e... Do you run any speed tests between your router an PC? If so, what did you use?... I think PingPlotter can be set up... Will try tonight.

I'm not sure what your ISP speed is, but it is usually not even close to home network speeds. Are you 100% sure your gains are all due to your wiring?

I never lose; either I win or I learn.

FlakValleyExpress #8 Posted 05 April 2017 - 01:17 AM

Captain

• 11948 battles

View PostLethalhavoc, on 04 April 2017 - 02:09 PM, said:

So you're saying my cat5 is out of date huh?

I guess i'll go get some new stuff, thanks for the heads up.

Depends. What is the size (speed) of your router and network card? If you have a 1 GB network card, but your router is <1GB, then Cat5 is best for you economically. BTW, the difference between Cat5 and Cat5e is the second pair of wires with the Cat5e. Sure you can buy Cat5e, however if your network pipeline is not the same, then you are spending money for no reason.

View PostMARS_REVENANT, on 04 April 2017 - 05:17 PM, said:

I was hoping this would solve some issues I have been having, but I do have Cat. 5e... Do you run any speed tests between your router an PC? If so, what did you use?... I think PingPlotter can be set up... Will try tonight.

I'm not sure what your ISP speed is, but it is usually not even close to home network speeds. Are you 100% sure your gains are all due to your wiring?

Have you tried port forwarding working too?

As far as testing, I used the Windows performance resource monitor to find the WG IP address for WoWP

%windir%\system32\perfmon.exe /res

And then I use ping plotter software for tracking the IP address to see the network bottlenecks for lags.

Network speed testing online sites

http://beta.speedtest.net/

https://www.verizon.com/speedtest/

Port Forwarding Resource

http://forum.worldofwarplanes.com/index.php?/topic/31780-tech-tip-–-port-forwarding-and-other-items/

BTW, my gains are not 100%. I would like to point out I had Cat5 cable (2 pair) before I replaced it with Cat5e (4 pair).

My point is don't limit yourself by using the wrong hardware for your network.

Edited by FlakValleyExpress, 05 April 2017 - 01:18 AM.

"Battle is the Great Redeemer. It is the fiery crucible in which true heroes are forged. The one place where all men truly share the same rank, regardless of what kind of parasitic scum they were going in."

To clear WoWP Cache -Please press the windows key + r to open the 'run' dialog. Then type in %temp%\wargaming.net Then delete the "wowp" folder. This will clear the game cache

MARS_REVENANT #9 Posted 05 April 2017 - 01:53 AM

Major

• 31869 battles
  • [SICK] SICK

View PostFlakValleyExpress, on 04 April 2017 - 08:17 PM, said:

Depends. What is the size (speed) of your router and network card? If you have a 1 GB network card, but your router is <1GB, then Cat5 is best for you economically. BTW, the difference between Cat5 and Cat5e is the second pair of wires with the Cat5e. Sure you can buy Cat5e, however if your network pipeline is not the same, then you are spending money for no reason.

As far as testing, I used the Windows performance resource monitor to find the WG IP address for WoWP

And then I use ping plotter software for tracking the IP address to see the network bottlenecks for lags.

Port Forwarding Resource

http://forum.worldofwarplanes.com/index.php?/topic/31780-tech-tip-–-port-forwarding-and-other-items/

BTW, my gains are not 100%. I would like to point out I had Cat5 cable (2 pair) before I replaced it with Cat5e (4 pair).

Yes I have done all the pert forwarding and all the WG recomendations... Ping plotter shows the transition from CAN to US hubs to be the biggest spike, then it just keeps getting higher  and the WG server being the highest.

I meant testing your home network speeds and connection.

I know Cat 5  is a lot slower than Cat 5e, but based on the ISP speeds and the game, even Cat 5 should have been plenty.  But I get your point... tune everything to the limit.

I never lose; either I win or I learn.

Bubba_Zanetti #10 Posted 05 April 2017 - 01:59 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 27874 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostFlakValleyExpress, on 04 April 2017 - 08:17 PM, said:

Port Forwarding Resource

Not sure where your source is from, but cat5 is not defined by how many pairs are in the cabling.  Twists per length and individual shielding generally define speeds of cabling.  Then there's fire rated plenum to meet fire code in some installations.  Some cat6 will also have this plus shaped core to keep each twisted pair shielded from the others.

FlakValleyExpress #11 Posted 05 April 2017 - 01:21 PM

Captain

• 11948 battles

View PostBubba_Zanetti, on 04 April 2017 - 08:59 PM, said:

Not sure where your source is from, but cat5 is not defined by how many pairs are in the cabling.  Twists per length and individual shielding generally define speeds of cabling.  Then there's fire rated plenum to meet fire code in some installations.  Some cat6 will also have this plus shaped core to keep each twisted pair shielded from the others.

^^^QFT. The video above and Wiki is what is what I am referring to for reference. I think I got the difference mistaken between the category of the cables in relating to wired pairs. BTW, I am not talking anyone out of Cat6, What I am saying is match up your hardware cable speed to your system hardware speed. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_5_cable

oldiowaguy #12 Posted 05 April 2017 - 04:35 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Open Beta Tester
  • 15554 battles
  • [WHAWK] WHAWK
But why is WoWP and WoT the only games I experience lag? My cat5 or their server????

Also tagged with LAN, Network, Cabling

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users