Targeting of Humans...and ruining the battle

targeting humans unbalanced play empty servers suggestion reasons servers are empty player retention

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

Poll: Targeting of Human Pilots (44 members have cast votes)

Do you believe that the targeting of human pilots occurs in most battles?

1. Yes (37 votes [84.09%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 84.09%

2. No (7 votes [15.91%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.91%

Vote Guests cannot vote Hide poll

Rockstone_ #21 Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:55 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 5 battles
  • [-BFS-] -BFS-

View Postpyantoryng, on 20 March 2017 - 03:50 AM, said:

Agreement to not shoot each other is so out of fashion after the epic MM that kept making all-GA matches was replaced...Just ruin their game before they ruin yours.

I still get this and refuse to farm I'm polite and say no thanks.

Edited by Rockstone_, 20 March 2017 - 05:32 PM.

GeorgePatton #22 Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:39 PM

газета

• -Community Ace-
  • 14 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

View PostSwearengen5, on 20 March 2017 - 12:56 AM, said:

Enemy team names should be masked or hidden.  That way, you don't know how whether an opposing player is a BOT or human. 

Way too often I see experienced players in servers using this recipe for victory:

1. Target and kill the human pilots in fighters.

2. Target BOTs in any remaining fighters.

3. Kill humans in GA.

4. Kill BOTs in any remaining GA.

With so many BOTs in play, repeated use of this strategy is one of the main reasons the servers are so empty of humans, and player retention continues to fall.

My strategy:

1. Check human opponents - if good, fight them - if not good, leave them until last
  2. Kill 'Veteran' status bots
  3. Kill other bots
  4. Kill players

Cheers!
Glenn

Click the Pictures to Visit My YouTube Channel.

Swearengen5 #23 Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:53 PM

Master Sergeant

• 8 battles
  • [-LOST] -LOST

View PostLethalhavoc, on 20 March 2017 - 11:06 AM, said:

I just recognized your name, I've had you and your wingman Icepanther try to focus me down a number of times off the start of the battle.

Your name is not one I recognize, however I admit having done this at times. It's nothing personal, and it's something we've all experienced on both sides of the coin. 

So then allow me to amend my question---> If player names and stats were unavailable (and even a MOD didn't show who was/wasn't a BOT), do you think the game would be improved even slightly?

Mackunaima #24 Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:54 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

View PostGeorgePatton, on 20 March 2017 - 02:39 PM, said:

My strategy:

1. Check human opponents - if good, flight them - if not good, leave them until last
  2. Kill 'Veteran' status bots
  3. Kill other bots
  4. Kill players

Cheers!
Glenn

"Certainty of death. Small chance of success. What are we waiting for?" - Gimli

Lethalhavoc #25 Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:02 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

View PostSwearengen5, on 20 March 2017 - 05:53 PM, said:

Your name is not one I recognize, however I admit having done this at times. It's nothing personal, and it's something we've all experienced on both sides of the coin.

So then allow me to amend my question---> If player names and stats were unavailable (and even a MOD didn't show who was/wasn't a BOT), do you think the game would be improved even slightly?

First off, don't worry about the attempts you and Ice made to focus me down, since you only got me once i think? And I shot you both down every other time.

After a couple weeks, it looked like you and him gave up dogfighting and just played your GAA. So, I got the better end of that stick ;)

And yes, your suggestion would add a new dynamic to the game. But the mod makers would just data mine giving those who use the mod a huge advantage over those who don't.

Since I have never used any mods while playing WoWP, I would not like to see your suggestion become reality, since it would put me at a severe disadvantage against those who use the mod.

Edited by Lethalhavoc, 20 March 2017 - 06:28 PM.

Swearengen5 #26 Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:44 PM

Master Sergeant

• 8 battles
  • [-LOST] -LOST

Data mining giving MOD-dependent players a decided advantage is noteworthy.  In the past, the MOD programmers have proven themselves capable of robbing WG's bank anytime they want...see WoT for further evidence. 

Primarily, this post was started to see what the community's view was on targeting one another, and whether it was good or bad for the game.  It truly remains a good game, but without some improvements it will likely continue to decline.  With servers so full of BOTs, some alterations might be made to improve gameplay.  I was hoping that with more input this idea could have potential to be something of a slight improvement (without the damn MODders screwing it up).

And LethalHavoc...lol, you may be pretty good, but do you really think you're so good you caused a change in what planes I fly?  Come on man, that's laughable.

BrushWolf #27 Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:00 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 52 battles
  • [GWG] GWG

View Postlosttwo, on 20 March 2017 - 04:37 AM, said:

and then someone will create a mod that identifies human or bots

:facepalm:

With a couple of exceptions the bots stand out because of their names. The main reason to use a mod is to shut the bots up.

I used to have a handle on life until it broke off.

“The church is near but the road is icy, the tavern is far away but I will walk carefully”

Russian Proverb

Mackunaima #28 Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:36 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

Man, a very solution to you would be WG just give bots some problbly name like a real player, not just Jeremy or Stanislav.

Something like DaddyCameHome.. :hiding:

Everybody will install mods or not. So you will know if they really like to head hunt or just shot some human azz when they are crossing the sky.

"Certainty of death. Small chance of success. What are we waiting for?" - Gimli

Lethalhavoc #29 Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:53 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles

View PostSwearengen5, on 20 March 2017 - 06:44 PM, said:

And LethalHavoc...lol, you may be pretty good, but do you really think you're so good you caused a change in what planes I fly?  Come on man, that's laughable.

No, you misunderstood me.

I didn't mean to imply I was responsible for that.

Just that you both seemed to switch to GAA and seemed to have given up dogfighting.

Texthor #30 Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:28 PM

• 7 battles

View Postlosttwo, on 20 March 2017 - 05:53 AM, said:

May I remind you that this is a GAME not reality nor the Marines.

IL's were developed for snowflakes to have a fighting chance at winning and being good at something they would otherwise fail at.

So stop being mean and agree that WG needs to make things easier for people that can not even succeed at farmville.

Or I will hunt you down and put blanks in your pistol.So the real snowflakes will have a fighting chance at getting away form you too.

:playing:

Quesnel #31 Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:09 PM

Open Beta Survivor

• Community Ace
  • 49 battles

View PostTexthor, on 20 March 2017 - 08:28 PM, said:

View Postlosttwo, on 20 March 2017 - 05:53 AM, said:

IL's were developed for snowflakes to have a fighting chance at winning and being good at something they would otherwise fail at.

So stop being mean and agree that WG needs to make things easier for people that can not even succeed at farmville.

Or I will hunt you down and put blanks in your pistol.So the real snowflakes will have a fighting chance at getting away form you too.

Since "The Truth" is a concept that Texthor hasn't yet grasped (especially when discussing IL's), here is the unaltered quote as written by my esteemed colleague....

View Postlosttwo, on 20 March 2017 - 11:53 AM, said:

Games were developed for snowflakes to have a fighting chance at winning and being good at something they would otherwise fail at.

I could only surmise this is some form of self-punishment for not being able to get a win in his own IL that was gifted to him.

Edited by Quesnel, 20 March 2017 - 09:25 PM.

MARS_REVENANT #32 Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:44 PM

Colonel

• 809 battles
Uh oh.... SanFranPoodle has invaded this thread... We need that butt cream STAT!

1.9.x Forum Stats: Colonel; Member; 34638 battles; 7,526 message_img.pngMember since: 01-26-2012

I never lose; either I win or I learn.

Texthor #33 Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:18 PM

• 7 battles

View PostMARS_REVENANT, on 20 March 2017 - 03:44 PM, said:

Uh oh.... SanFranPoodle has invaded this thread... We need that butt cream STAT!

save it for you and your kitty, Miss Whiskers

MARS_REVENANT #34 Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:26 PM

Colonel

• 809 battles

View PostTexthor, on 20 March 2017 - 05:18 PM, said:

save it for you and your kitty, Miss Whiskers

Hooked.... I swear... It is almost too easy.

1.9.x Forum Stats: Colonel; Member; 34638 battles; 7,526 message_img.pngMember since: 01-26-2012

I never lose; either I win or I learn.

x_WARHOG_x #35 Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:57 PM

• 0 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

I fully expect to get headhunted every game and don't care either way but if you don't and leave me alive then your a idiot........:facepalm:

That being said I don't actually headhunt I work from the top down and if your at altitude then your going to be targeted irregardless of your name stats or plane type..........:honoring:

Edited by x_WARHOG_x, 20 March 2017 - 11:00 PM.

Sneaking up on your six.....................

GeorgePatton #36 Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:17 PM

газета

• -Community Ace-
  • 14 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

View Postx_WARHOG_x, on 20 March 2017 - 05:57 PM, said:

I fully expect to get headhunted every game and don't care either way but if you don't and leave me alive then your a idiot........:facepalm:

That being said I don't actually headhunt I work from the top down and if your at altitude then your going to be targeted irregardless of your name stats or plane type..........:honoring:

This is also true! Generally only the slightly-better-than-average to 'good' players will be at highest altitude. Humans almost always go higher than bots, so this could also contribute to what the OP considers 'targeting' of humans.

Cheers!
Glenn

Click the Pictures to Visit My YouTube Channel.

Balaise #37 Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:29 PM

Master Sergeant

• 196 battles

Strangely enough. I dont always go for humans at first. 

I try to kill as much enemies as possible as fast as possible. (Bots or humans I dont care.)

If I can kill a fighter or a damaged heavy in one salvo. I do it.

If after a kill, I can turn and shoot down another quickly I do it.

I dont like to go for humans first. They are smart and good player tend to stick in the middle of their pack.

I prefer shaving the furball (bots or humans) rather than trying to get into it to get the human.

Edited by Balaise, 20 March 2017 - 11:29 PM.

mnbv_fockewulfe #38 Posted 21 March 2017 - 12:23 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 52 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

I admit, I am subconsciously guilty of this. I prefer to call it, "Threat based selective targeting."

I don't go out of my way to hunt players down unless I know that they are much better than me. Even then, only if you fly into my sights and if you dive I won't chase you if it would make me give up an advantageous position.

What cracks me up is when players go out of the way to focus me down and still lose the match. :kamikaze:

Be sure to check your logic privileges before posting on the forum.

mnbv_fockewulfe.png

anamals53 #39 Posted 21 March 2017 - 12:33 AM

Master Sergeant

• 285 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS
I just generally shoot what is in range , engage one down it or get my tail shot off . then engage who is closest , repeat .:playing:

BrushWolf #40 Posted 21 March 2017 - 01:14 AM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 52 battles
  • [GWG] GWG

View Postmnbv_fockewulfe, on 20 March 2017 - 07:23 PM, said:

I admit, I am subconsciously guilty of this. I prefer to call it, "Threat based selective targeting."

I don't go out of my way to hunt players down unless I know that they are much better than me. Even then, only if you fly into my sights and if you dive I won't chase you if it would make me give up an advantageous position.

What cracks me up is when players go out of the way to focus me down and still lose the match. :kamikaze:

The bots are very predictable where even the worst human may have a moment of briliance. A human you can tag and go after another target but with the bots if you hit it you own it until they are attacked by another player, bot or human. They will fly across the map to get you while completely ignoring other targets if they are not attacked.

I used to have a handle on life until it broke off.

“The church is near but the road is icy, the tavern is far away but I will walk carefully”

Russian Proverb

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users