KI-61, 68th Sentai, Hollandia, New Guinea, April 1944

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

hawkeyededic #1 Posted 17 March 2017 - 04:56 PM

Resident Researcher

• -Community Ace-
  • 148 battles

Kawasaki Ki-61-I-Ko, 68th Sentai, 2nd Chutai, Hollandia, New Guinea, April 1944.

This skin is set-up to replace the default marine textures.

This particular Ki-61 was the first to be captured intact, when Allied forced captured the airfield at Hollandia in April of 1944. The aircraft was subsequently photographed before being crated up and sent to Australia for testing. It's final fate is unknown, most likely being scrapped.

I have found multiple references crediting this plane with a Lt, Tarui Yoshimitsu, several claiming him to be an ace, but I have been unable to find any reference to him in any other sources, including a list of Japanese Aces of WWII. A single reference I have found credits this plane to a Lt Tarui Mitsuyoshi, whom was credited with 38 kills, 28 while flying Ki-27s over China. He is listed as KIA on August 18th 1944, but I was unable to locate any information on a location or of circumstances of his death. In my opinion it is likely that the plane was flown by Lt Tarui Mitsuyoshi and that the other name is an incorrect translation.

You can download it at: 68_Sentai.zip. You will also need the files to remove the default Japanese markings found HERE.

Hawkeye's Hangar, your one stop spot for all my repaints. Like me on Facebook for news, updates and more.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users