Assistance with a Mouse/Keyboard Setup.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

iR_Willow #1 Posted 14 March 2017 - 12:18 PM

Airman Basic

• 46 battles

I'll be true. I haven't been playing this WoWP for long. I really want to and get good at it. I am fascinated with the A6m2 and it is my goal to master that plane, high tier be damned.

With only a couple horrible battles in, I'm still struggling to find a workable control scheme for mouse and keyboard. I am using WASD for roll and pitch but I need advice.

I do not have space in my rack and locker for a joystick or any other system and I read up on multiple threads a rumor that mouse beats joystick with this game. What works for the other pilots? How did you guys learn how to grasp these controls? What settings were modified and made the most difference? Anything, im desperate. 

I am ready to sacrifice any knowledge I had about this game and be guided...

Edited by iR_Willow, 14 March 2017 - 12:20 PM.

Mackunaima #2 Posted 14 March 2017 - 01:01 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 20718 battles
  • [WHAWK] WHAWK

"I read up on multiple threads a rumor that mouse beats joystick with this game" - This is not true, truth is decent pilots beat poor skilled pilots, just it. Joystick or mouse does not make you better. I do play both of them without any lack of MY skill, since release switching this time after time, you just need to realize what is the best hardware for you. Some players just like the very good handling with JS and other like to have fixed horizon and mouse aiming. But for both of them you will need the same skill to manage a battle.

About your question, well, when I do play with KB+Mouse I set my things like this (basically):

W - Boost

S - Breaks

A - Roll Left

D - Roll Right

X/Z - Flaps

Q - Pitch Up

R - Rockets

Space - Fire

B - Bomb

E - Next target

H - Bomb View Mode

Shif - Rear Mirror

Very close fingers.

PS: You need to figure out which keys are working for 3 commands at the same time. Some KB ca'nt manage 3 keys pressed at sametime. Like Flaps, Breaks, and Roll of Fire.

Mouse - Left it stardard

Regards,

Mack

Edited by Mackunaima, 14 March 2017 - 01:03 PM.

"Certainty of death. Small chance of success. What are we waiting for?" - Gimli

GouIdy #3 Posted 14 March 2017 - 01:27 PM

First Lieutenant

• 18506 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

Some tips for M/K controls

- set auto roll in turns to off  (use the mouse to point the nose & roll keys for desired angle)

- turn off auto flaps  ( manually set flaps for best performance )

- set a key for pitch up for when you need the tightest turn possible otherwise pitch is controlled by mouse  ( you don't need a pitch down key )

- set a key for next target & use it frequently to cycle through enemy planes to allow you to see them in the lower left target window in order to keep track of & see who is targeting you.

_Warchylde_ #4 Posted 14 March 2017 - 01:40 PM

First Lieutenant

• 10944 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

As for mouse vs joystick, Mack said it best. It's the pilot, not the hardware, that makes the difference. The common misconception is that one requires more skill than the other.  This is inherently false.  A great pilot with a JS will beat a crappy pilot with a mouse, and the reverse is also true.  The argument has been going on for as long as I've played this game.

"Joysticks give better flight control, while a mouse gives better firing accuracy" this has a kernel of truth at its core, but always remember that skill and experience trumps all.

I fly M/KB,  but my KB set up is completely unlike what Mack uses.

My setup is mostly default setting, with a few twists:

W- Boost

S- Speed Brakes

A- Roll left

D- Roll right

Q- Mirror

E-  Pitch Up ( I don't use pitch down)

Z- Left rudder

C- Right rudder

Caps Lock- Flaps (toggle) (this plays hell with team chat, but f*** em, it's handy for me)

X- Next Air target

V- Next Ground target ( don't use this unless you are window-licking in a GA)

F- Sniper View (toggle)

R- Rockets

Space - Bomb

L Shift - Bomb Sight View (toggle)

Tab - Team Panels

My Mouse is a default setup up

LMB- Fire

RMB- Free Camera (hold)  I use this during the merge, or if I'm way above the turmoil, in order to match my eyes up to what my radar and minimap are telling me.

However, I don't use standard flight control protocols (simply because I learned how to play and got used to it before learning that I could reverse the mouse controls).

If I want to go down, I move the mouse down...if I want to go up, I move the mouse up.

I use a combination of mouse moves and keystroke combinations to maneuver, such as holding D&E (roll right+ pitch up)  to perform a tight snap roll. Combine this with a clockwise circular motion of the mouse, to perform a wider radius roll.

That's just an example...and that set-up just works for me, keeping all my KB commands to the left of my KB, so that I can reach them without having to reach too much (arthritis sucks, my friend), although hitting hit f7 ("Clear my tail") while in full-on evasive mode can be quite a stretch for me, lol.

Practice practice practice, that's all I can say.  I practiced my moves in a Bulldog and an F3F (both extremely nimble planes), and made sure I was comfortable with my setup, before I started moving up to higher tiers.

Good flying!!

Edited by _Warchylde_, 14 March 2017 - 01:46 PM.

"Shee, you guys are so unhip, it's a wonder your bums don't fall off!"

- Zaphod Beeblebrox

pyantoryng #5 Posted 14 March 2017 - 02:33 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 12388 battles

I top everything in the graph and started from there...and I lock my camera to plane (default) as opposed to horizon. Remember that the plane goes wherever your mouse is pointed to and you can input extra maneuvers to do so (e.g. boosting while moving your mouse dot up to escape a watery death, rolling while climbing, or pitch up during turn). The gun sight is not the same as that maneuvering dot, so don't get confused.

I map the weapon group keys somwhere on my keyboard (It's N, comma, and period for me)...who knows when it might come in handy, but you will find yourself link-firing about 99% of the time anyway.

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

GhostPrime #6 Posted 14 March 2017 - 03:41 PM

Community Coordinator

• Administrator
  • 1643 battles
  • [WGA-B] WGA-B

View PostiR_Willow, on 14 March 2017 - 04:18 AM, said:

I'll be true. I haven't been playing this WoWP for long. I really want to and get good at it. I am fascinated with the A6m2 and it is my goal to master that plane, high tier be damned.

With only a couple horrible battles in, I'm still struggling to find a workable control scheme for mouse and keyboard. I am using WASD for roll and pitch but I need advice.

I do not have space in my rack and locker for a joystick or any other system and I read up on multiple threads a rumor that mouse beats joystick with this game. What works for the other pilots? How did you guys learn how to grasp these controls? What settings were modified and made the most difference? Anything, im desperate. 

I am ready to sacrifice any knowledge I had about this game and be guided...

Welcome to World of Warplanes! I use mainly the default Mouse controls, and sometimes a Joystick. For the keyboard/mouse set-up Pitch up and down is a must and should be set. Also turn off Auto flaps for better control, and set up a key for airbraking, and boost that suits your preference. I have not turned the auto roll completely off, but I set it so I have to do most of the work myself without the assistance. I like the control. For me Personally, I set up things like Gouldy mentions. The key bindings are up to your preference and how the keyboard feels to you. 

Please read the WOWP Game and Forum rules.
Forum Rules - Game Rules - EULA - TOS
Find us on Facebook!

losttwo #7 Posted 14 March 2017 - 05:00 PM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 29924 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

I am a left handed player.

I use mouse for direction, wpns grouping with the left hand.

Right hand controls the rebinded ( rebound )  keys at the numbers pad.

You can re-bind keys in the settings to find what is convenient for you.

Psicko23 #8 Posted 15 March 2017 - 08:25 AM

First Lieutenant

• 19065 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-
Make sure you have radar enabled. For some stupid reason they have it disabled by default. Uncheck limit bank angles at low altitude, automatic flaps in turns. Bind a key to pitch up. I'm not at home, so I can't remember what I use for mouse controls. I now use joysticks. Joystick can be hard to master when switching from mouse and keyboard, especially the longer you play m&k. I can fly better with a joystick and my hit percentage has also increased with joystick. Situational awareness is harder with joystick until you get used to it.

iR_Willow #9 Posted 15 March 2017 - 09:23 AM

Airman Basic

• 46 battles

Thank you all very much for all your insight and experience. I had some success in tier 3 dogfights with my old strike fighters project 1 setup where I ignore the mouse almost completely.

I will try each suggestion and tip posted here to make gettign into this game easier and funner. Is there any way where this information can be pinned for other players?

Mackunaima #10 Posted 15 March 2017 - 12:13 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 20718 battles
  • [WHAWK] WHAWK

View PostiR_Willow, on 15 March 2017 - 06:23 AM, said:

Thank you all very much for all your insight and experience. I had some success in tier 3 dogfights with my old strike fighters project 1 setup where I ignore the mouse almost completely.

I will try each suggestion and tip posted here to make gettign into this game easier and funner. Is there any way where this information can be pinned for other players?

Well, you could grab all of the info and make a very good post, so we can thumb up this and it will be automatcally pinned, or you can just sent a PM to GhostPrime asking for him to consider this a good post.

"Certainty of death. Small chance of success. What are we waiting for?" - Gimli

Psicko23 #11 Posted 18 March 2017 - 07:25 PM

First Lieutenant

• 19065 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-

When I used m&k, I went to advanced settings and changed my graph. If you click on the link provided, my graph is similar to the graph labeled as previous.  Heads up,  that control scheme is from many patches ago and it will look different. 

Here is the link: 

http://forum.worldof...tings-for-wowp/

Bobby_Tables #12 Posted 19 March 2017 - 01:36 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 23945 battles

When I started this game I bought a graphics card, a new mouse pad ($5 one, not a crazy expensive gaming pad) and a Thermaltake Ventus programmable mouse (also pretty darn cheap).  You can really trick out a gaming mouse for this game that allows you to use  rudder, roll, plus boost (I used scroll wheel) and even flaps at the same time.  

I fought a lot of battles like this where people thought I had a joystick.  

Then, I bought a joystick and simply cannot tolerate mouse+keyboard, but that is me.  

Point is, if you get a programmable gaming mouse (don't go overboard in $, and don't go wireless) and really trick out the buttons, you can make the plane do some pretty sophisticated maneuvers.  

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users