Video - Messerschmitt Me 262 Flying Display at the Airpower 2016

video Me.262

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

FlakValleyExpress #1 Posted 08 March 2017 - 11:18 AM

Captain

• 11948 battles

Something that a RU WoWP pilot brought to my attention on their forums. 

I never heard of this airshow, but then again it makes sense to have one for this region, especially if it celebrates the Messerschmitt's designs.

Block Quote

Messerschmitt Me 262 Flying Display at the Airpower 2016 in Zeltweg Austria. Me 262 B1-A / Fighter aircraft / Replica

The Messerschmitt Museum of Flight is the home base for eight Messerschmitt aircraft. Nearly all machines are capable of flight. The collection includes a replica of a 1925 M 17, an HA 200 from 1966 and a replica Me 262 from 1942. This is a unique portfolio of eight aircraft, all proudly bearing the Messerschmitt name.

We keep as many aircraft as possible – and economically viable – in airworthy condition. The planes are restored, maintained and flown at the Messerschmitt Museum of Flight, which is located at the Airbus Defence and Space production site and airfield in the Bavarian town of Manching.

To keep the planes “airworthy”, we have to strike a delicate balance between preservation and use. 

On the one hand, the machines need to be flown for a certain number of hours to ensure that our pilots retain the requisite skills and experience in the air. On the other hand, they also have to be flown as little as possible to ensure they stay in good condition and are not subjected to excessive wear and tear. 

We want our Messerschmitt aircraft to be displayed regularly for many years to come. To ensure the aircraft remain in airworthy condition for as long as possible, we have to limit the number of flying hours and the number of events we attend.

This means that although the aircraft are brought to events outside of their home base, we have to be very selective about the events we visit to ensure they do not exceed their annual flying quota.

The planes are not operated commercially. They are owned by the Messerschmitt Foundation and Airbus Defence and Space and are primarily used to support the company’s and Foundation’s interests. 

In addition to the aircraft, we also hold temporary exhibitions showing other examples of Willy Messerschmitt’s work such as Messerschmitt cabin rollers and Messerschmitt sewing machines. 

Resources:

http://www.flugmuseum-messerschmitt.com

I wonder what jet engines they are using? Their web site does not post any background videos of the plane or what makes its replica design.I would like to see the "how we keep it flying" videos.

Edited by FlakValleyExpress, 08 March 2017 - 11:18 AM.

Airborne Scout - Class of 1.0

Fidei Defensor of WoWP,  Fortissimus Spei,  Amicus Autem Multis

"Battle is the Great Redeemer. It is the fiery crucible in which true heroes are forged. The one place where all men truly share the same rank, regardless of what kind of parasitic scum they were going in."

To clear WoWP Cache -Please press the windows key + r to open the 'run' dialog. Then type in %temp%\wargaming.net Then delete the "wowp" folder. This will clear the game cache

gerr22 #2 Posted 08 March 2017 - 11:39 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 13971 battles
  • [17SQ] 17SQ
what a treat i did not no there were any left

BoredSights #3 Posted 08 March 2017 - 11:44 AM

Senior Airman

• Alpha tester
  • 317 battles
Thanks for sharing the video and link. I'll have to check it out!

losttwo #4 Posted 08 March 2017 - 11:46 AM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 29924 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G
:great: great share

RedSpartacus #5 Posted 08 March 2017 - 12:21 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 17105 battles
  • [GW__S] GW__S

View PostFlakValleyExpress, on 08 March 2017 - 07:18 AM, said:

I wonder what jet engines they are using?

I googled  GE J-85  for the replicas.
  RUN WITH THE PACK

FlakValleyExpress #6 Posted 08 March 2017 - 12:47 PM

Captain

• 11948 battles

View PostRedSpartacus, on 08 March 2017 - 07:21 AM, said:

I googled  GE J-85  for the replicas.

Must be a good engine series

Block Quote

The United States Air Force plans to continue using the J85 in aircraft through 2040

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Electric_J85

Granted this version of the Me.262 is a replica, but it still can fly.

Edited by FlakValleyExpress, 08 March 2017 - 12:48 PM.

"Battle is the Great Redeemer. It is the fiery crucible in which true heroes are forged. The one place where all men truly share the same rank, regardless of what kind of parasitic scum they were going in."

To clear WoWP Cache -Please press the windows key + r to open the 'run' dialog. Then type in %temp%\wargaming.net Then delete the "wowp" folder. This will clear the game cache

_Warchylde_ #7 Posted 08 March 2017 - 01:00 PM

First Lieutenant

• 9798 battles
  • [WHAWK] WHAWK

View Postgerr22, on 08 March 2017 - 06:39 AM, said:

what a treat i did not no there were any left

Oh, there are plenty of 262s left hanging around....

I have personally see them at the National Air & Space Museum in Washington DC, the 8th Air Force Museum in Savannah, GA (Which also has an Me-163 Komet), and a rare two-seat tandem Me-262 trainer at the Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola, FL. (see image below).   I know that there are several others spread around the US and the world as well.

I can only assume that you mean "there were any left FLYING"....in which case, I'm right there with you.

Extremely rare Me-262 "Schwalbe"  two-seat tandem trainer.  U.S. Naval Aviation History Museum, NAS Pensacola, Pensacola, FL.

Photo courtesy of yours truly.

There are very few problems in this world which can not be solved

by a suitable and timely application of concentrated firepower.

"Fly High, Fly Fast, Fly Smart, and Shoot First!!"

Bubba_Zanetti #8 Posted 08 March 2017 - 01:26 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 28036 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

Read about this project a few years ago.  I think they've made 3 including a two seater?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Me_262_Project

http://www.stormbirds.com/project/

http://www.airspacemag.com/military-aviation/stormbird-12695578/?no-ist

Edited by Bubba_Zanetti, 08 March 2017 - 01:32 PM.

Topsight #9 Posted 08 March 2017 - 02:35 PM

First Lieutenant

• 34414 battles
  • [-ES-] -ES-
Noticed that the "other symbol" is not on the tail. But, I believe it's banned in Germany and illegal to display it.

SteelWheeler #10 Posted 08 March 2017 - 04:02 PM

Airman Basic

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3018 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

The engines used are GE CJ610 engines.

It is forbidden by german law to use the swastika symbol.

FlakValleyExpress #11 Posted 08 March 2017 - 05:26 PM

Captain

• 11948 battles

View Post_Warchylde_, on 08 March 2017 - 08:00 AM, said:

Oh, there are plenty of 262s left hanging around....

I have personally see them at the National Air & Space Museum in Washington DC, the 8th Air Force Museum in Savannah, GA (Which also has an Me-163 Komet), and a rare two-seat tandem Me-262 trainer at the Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola, FL. (see image below).   I know that there are several others spread around the US and the world as well.

I can only assume that you mean "there were any left FLYING"....in which case, I'm right there with you.

Extremely rare Me-262 "Schwalbe"  two-seat tandem trainer.  U.S. Naval Aviation History Museum, NAS Pensacola, Pensacola, FL.

Photo courtesy of yours truly.

You may want to blur that tail. That symbol is against forum rules BTW. You don't want to get into trouble. :great:

Silvin #12 Posted 08 March 2017 - 09:29 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 8531 battles
  • [SF] SF
Awesome to see it fly! Especially in a peaceful setting.
WoWS Alpha Tester - I am looking forward to meeting you on the high seas!

Noreaga #13 Posted 08 March 2017 - 10:09 PM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 8691 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
such a beauty, i assume that most surviving 262's use new engine. Are you even allowed to fuel planes like they used to fuel the 262? 

Nimis obnoxii curare

Bubba_Zanetti #14 Posted 08 March 2017 - 10:40 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 28036 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostNoreaga, on 08 March 2017 - 05:09 PM, said:

such a beauty, i assume that most surviving 262's use new engine. Are you even allowed to fuel planes like they used to fuel the 262? 

As I understand it, it's a 100% replica with modern engines.  No survivor 262 is airworthy.  C-Stoff and T-Stoff was for the me 163.

Also tagged with video, Me.262

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users