Any Videos For Mid-tier ZEROs?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

TenkouKuugen #1 Posted 02 March 2017 - 05:13 AM

Senior Airman

• 2872 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

Hi, just wondering where I can find some videos on how to fly mid-tier ZEROs (A6Mx/A7M) properly?

I can only manage 1-2 kills per battle in Tier V-VII (vs consistent Ace in Tier III) and I feel that I depend on the bots too much... and I die too easily.  Would love some videos to study! :)

Psicko23 #2 Posted 02 March 2017 - 09:04 AM

First Lieutenant

• 18926 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-

In tier 3, most planes are still somewhat close to being similar, with a few planes being the exception. By tier 5 all the planes have their style of play. Some are boom and zoom(bnz), some are turn fighters(tnb), and some can use a combination of both bnz and tnb depending on the plane it's facing. The zero line is a tnb line. 

In TNB play the biggest thing you need is to have situational awareness. The zero is so fragile, if you don't know you are about to be shot up, you will die before you know it. Do you have radar equipped? If not, you need to go into game settings and activate it. Use your radar map and mini map to try to anticipate when planes will be shooting you and evade at that point. Take shots when you can, no sense in staying on someone's tail if it leads to your death by another player. 

Here are a few links to guides that have tnb in them:

This first link has a few different videos. Check them all out, especially the tnb and hybrid one. This was from an old patch, so it may look different. Most of the flying part should be the same or similar. 

http://forum.worldof...hting-bnz-coms/

http://forum.worldof...strategies-195/

Edited by Psicko23, 02 March 2017 - 09:10 AM.

raulv04 #3 Posted 02 March 2017 - 05:15 PM

First Lieutenant

• 18109 battles

If I may chip in, my favorite Japanese fighter was the Tier IV Zero. I obtained a Gorovets and an Akamatsu in it. When we used to have the three-tier spread, the IV was excellent even against Tier VI opponents and in several battles I got seven kills. However, when trying the V, I noted that the situational awareness increases two- or three-fold, because the fighter is still very fragile, and the superior firepower of the rest of the planes made it a very brittle, though agile, fighter. If you allow me the analogy, it's like a cockroach which is impossible to catch, but cannot practically defend itself; once caught, it's very easy prey. But, once a Zero is in your tail, you can expect to see your creator very quickly. Nothing turns better than it. So, the idea is to let the enemy fall in the trap of turning and burning, a classical dogfight. I don't have any Tier V Zero videos, but I do have some from Tier IV against opponents from higher tiers.

Also, what Psicko23 refers to as "radar" is not the minimap at the bottom right corner. You need to activate it and it will appear in the upper right hand corner. It's better than the map to detect enemies, and it also has the advantage of telling you if your enemies are above or below you. Cheers! :honoring:

losttwo #4 Posted 03 March 2017 - 09:24 AM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 29924 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

Best i have is of the A6M5 tier 5

TenkouKuugen #5 Posted 03 March 2017 - 01:01 PM

Senior Airman

• 2872 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

Thanks guys, great stuff!  It's very inspiring to see how others fly the zeros.

@losttwo: I wouldn't dare to fly so close to the terrain under that sort of lag.  How did you even aim at those jiggling planes :D

pyantoryng #6 Posted 03 March 2017 - 03:35 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 12351 battles

View PostTenkouKuugen, on 03 March 2017 - 01:01 PM, said:

@losttwo: I wouldn't dare to fly so close to the terrain under that sort of lag.  How did you even aim at those jiggling planes :D

It's kinda learned when you deal with crappy specs and/or connection just to play...under that kind of stutter it's mostly spray and pray...

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

mnbv_fockewulfe #7 Posted 03 March 2017 - 04:20 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 4512 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

View Postraulv04, on 02 March 2017 - 05:15 PM, said:

If I may chip in, my favorite Japanese fighter was the Tier IV Zero. I obtained a Gorovets and an Akamatsu in it. When we used to have the three-tier spread, the IV was excellent even against Tier VI opponents and in several battles I got seven kills. However, when trying the V, I noted that the situational awareness increases two- or three-fold, because the fighter is still very fragile, and the superior firepower of the rest of the planes made it a very brittle, though agile, fighter. If you allow me the analogy, it's like a cockroach which is impossible to catch, but cannot practically defend itself; once caught, it's very easy prey. But, once a Zero is in your tail, you can expect to see your creator very quickly. Nothing turns better than it. So, the idea is to let the enemy fall in the trap of turning and burning, a classical dogfight. I don't have any Tier V Zero videos, but I do have some from Tier IV against opponents from higher tiers.

Also, what Psicko23 refers to as "radar" is not the minimap at the bottom right corner. You need to activate it and it will appear in the upper right hand corner. It's better than the map to detect enemies, and it also has the advantage of telling you if your enemies are above or below you. Cheers! :honoring:

The satisfying thing about the T4 zero is that feeling of, "Wow. I just got an ace with only 90hp.:ohmy:"

Dat nose

knows does doe

mnbv_fockewulfe.png

losttwo #8 Posted 03 March 2017 - 05:44 PM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 29924 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

View PostTenkouKuugen, on 03 March 2017 - 08:01 AM, said:

Thanks guys, great stuff!  It's very inspiring to see how others fly the zeros.

I don't notice it when I skip my Parkinson medication and fly with my laptop on my lap.

Claudio67 #9 Posted 03 March 2017 - 08:25 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Open Beta Tester
  • 15687 battles

Here I have some, not intended to be learning videos, more of the kind "Hey, look how lucky I was this time!"

A6M3 exp (premium, not in regular tree)

A7M Reppu

A6M5 tier VI

J7W1 tier VIII

TenkouKuugen #10 Posted 04 March 2017 - 02:46 AM

Senior Airman

• 2872 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

View PostClaudio67, on 04 March 2017 - 06:25 AM, said:

Here I have some, not intended to be learning videos, more of the kind "Hey, look how lucky I was this time!"

A6M3 exp (premium, not in regular tree)

A7M Reppu

A6M5 tier VI

J7W1 tier VIII

Nice, I didn't know Model 32/22 (A6M3) were in the game.  Just got my Reppuu and I'll be flying with it for a long time before I can afford Shinden.

TenkouKuugen #11 Posted 04 March 2017 - 03:08 AM

Senior Airman

• 2872 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G
Btw some hits do insane damage to my zero and produce a loud metallic "clunk" SFX, are these critical hits or special shells?  I can only take 1.1 hits max =.=

Claudio67 #12 Posted 04 March 2017 - 03:46 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Open Beta Tester
  • 15687 battles

Maybe they are critical damage shots (engine, tail, wings...), anyway all the line (particularly from tier IV Zero and uppers) are very fragile, do not fly in straight lines when you have enemies near, Mandatory equipment is at least the self sealing fuel tank, anything will set you on fire. Beware of big cannons (P-38s, Yak-7, 9 and 9U and the Germans, all of them), don't sit behind a heavy or ground attacker with rear gunners, stay always moving to avoid damage, you don't have much. Once you get used to them, they are very fun planes, particularly the A6M1 in tier IV, the Reppu while being as fragile as the Zeros has a nice firepower, and uppers (J7Ws) have real powerful guns. Use short bursts to avoid overheating, they may be somewhat hard to hit depending on your connection (ping), but when they connect, they shred anything in front of them. 

Bonus track: A bit of J7W2

pyantoryng #13 Posted 04 March 2017 - 05:16 AM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 12351 battles

View PostTenkouKuugen, on 04 March 2017 - 03:08 AM, said:

Btw some hits do insane damage to my zero and produce a loud metallic "clunk" SFX, are these critical hits or special shells?  I can only take 1.1 hits max =.=

You got hit by cannons. They tend to hit hard and make a louder sound on your plating...

...and I second the notion of self-sealing fuel tank - not only the Japanese planes get lit on fire quickly, they burn the best out of all planes in the game i.e. one tick deals massive damage compared to the stubbier US planes. The self-sealing fuel tanks are not complex so you can always shift them around without spending gold.

Edited by pyantoryng, 04 March 2017 - 05:16 AM.

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

raulv04 #14 Posted 04 March 2017 - 05:23 AM

First Lieutenant

• 18109 battles

Some with my Tier IV Zero:

Nice furball (after 1:46. I spent the first part going after an IL-2 (mod) ): http://www.dailymoti...cias_videogames

Akamatsu (For shooting down three aircraft two tiers above mine in a battle): A Tier VI F4U got me and took away 100 HP! The old automatic fire extinguisher saved my life: http://www.dailymoti...atsu_videogames

Four kills. Almost an ace, but shot down four aircraft with less than 20 HP: http://www.dailymoti...ills_videogames

In all, note the use of Turn and Burn, in which the Japanese fighters have no equal. As I said before, once a Zero is on your tail, you can kiss the battle goodbye, unless somebody comes to your rescue, and as Claudio said, always keep moving, there's no room to fly in a straight line, and once you get behind an enemy, he's toast.

All these videos were made between 1.3 and 1.6, and all the players are "real humans", no bots were harmed during the production of these videos.

Cheers!

Edited by raulv04, 04 March 2017 - 05:31 AM.

_Warchylde_ #15 Posted 04 March 2017 - 09:52 PM

First Lieutenant

• 10944 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

I personally don't fly the Japanese line, but buddy of mine made this cool video of an Ace medal in the Tier IV A6M1.

You can learn a lot from watching Gaijin Ronin fly

Edited by _Warchylde_, 04 March 2017 - 09:53 PM.

"Shee, you guys are so unhip, it's a wonder your bums don't fall off!"

- Zaphod Beeblebrox

TenkouKuugen #16 Posted 05 March 2017 - 01:44 AM

Senior Airman

• 2872 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

Yes!  Keep'em videos coming plz! :)

@_Warchylde_ I've seen that replay before, when I had ~500 battles?  It's just a nice vid back then but now I'm picking up more details having flown Tier-7.  Seems like my skills need time to catch up to the highest tier I fly.

Btw is there any way to observe players on the opposing team?  I'd rather watch a human on the opposite team rather than observing bots.

pyantoryng #17 Posted 05 March 2017 - 06:14 AM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 12351 battles

View PostTenkouKuugen, on 05 March 2017 - 01:44 AM, said:

Btw is there any way to observe players on the opposing team?  I'd rather watch a human on the opposite team rather than observing bots.

There isn't...outside of watching him shooting your teammates.

raulv04 #18 Posted 07 March 2017 - 03:16 PM

First Lieutenant

• 18109 battles
Bump (for spammers)

CruzANDBruz #19 Posted 14 March 2017 - 01:20 PM

Master Sergeant

• 6281 battles

View PostPsicko23, on 02 March 2017 - 09:04 AM, said:

In tier 3, most planes are still somewhat close to being similar, with a few planes being the exception. By tier 5 all the planes have their style of play. Some are boom and zoom(bnz), some are turn fighters(tnb), and some can use a combination of both bnz and tnb depending on the plane it's facing. The zero line is a tnb line. 

In TNB play the biggest thing you need is to have situational awareness. The zero is so fragile, if you don't know you are about to be shot up, you will die before you know it. Do you have radar equipped? If not, you need to go into game settings and activate it. Use your radar map and mini map to try to anticipate when planes will be shooting you and evade at that point. Take shots when you can, no sense in staying on someone's tail if it leads to your death by another player. 

Here are a few links to guides that have tnb in them:

This first link has a few different videos. Check them all out, especially the tnb and hybrid one. This was from an old patch, so it may look different. Most of the flying part should be the same or similar. 

http://forum.worldof...hting-bnz-coms/

http://forum.worldof...strategies-195/

I've been assuming all along when someone referred to "radar" they were talking about the mini-map. I just activated mine. Thanks. Lots of settings, preferences & nuances to this game. 

So, how does one tell the altitude of other aircraft? I'm not getting that part, but I've only flown one mission using it.

_Warchylde_ #20 Posted 14 March 2017 - 01:55 PM

First Lieutenant

• 10944 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

View PostCruzANDBruz, on 14 March 2017 - 08:20 AM, said:

I've been assuming all along when someone referred to "radar" they were talking about the mini-map. I just activated mine. Thanks. Lots of settings, preferences & nuances to this game. 

So, how does one tell the altitude of other aircraft? I'm not getting that part, but I've only flown one mission using it.

You can change the range of the radar with the bracket keys   [  ] .

Planes that are at your altitude will have larger, more opaque markers on the radar. The further apart you are in altitude, the markers get smaller and more transparent.

It doesn't tell you if they are higher or lower, but it does help to keep from ramming a team mate, or to see who is turning on your tail. Sometimes, you have to use the free camera to look inthat general direction to see if they are higher or lower, and by how much.  Also, don't hesitate to toggle through your targets to get range information in the camera window.

Remember, this is not true "radar" in it's level of detailed information, but more of a visual aid to situational awareness (because turning your head and looking around, typically only reveals a frustrated wife with a list of chores....)

Edited by _Warchylde_, 14 March 2017 - 01:55 PM.

"Shee, you guys are so unhip, it's a wonder your bums don't fall off!"

- Zaphod Beeblebrox

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users