Petlyakov Pe-8

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

Scinfaxi #1 Posted 01 March 2017 - 09:17 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Open Beta Tester
  • 698 battles
  • [ZOUTH] ZOUTH

Welcome to another addition of Warplane Wednesday, where I bring attention to rare, unique, or just left out aircraft not featured in the game currently, and give it the spotlight for all to talk about and enjoy.

This week I'm doing something new and different, as some of you might have heard, WoWP is going to start a Beta soon testing out a new game mode. With it comes a lot of new features, one being the introduction of a new plane class, Bombers! That's right, we will now be able to get our hands on Medium and Heavy Bombers in WoWP finally and to kick things off, this will be my first bomber post. Since WG hasn't released any details on what nations or models of bombers will be used, I'm only going to be using nations already in the game. Also I'm going ot be posting every bomber I can since none have ben revealed to be used yet. So sit back, relax and learn about the Pe-8!

The Petlyakov Pe-8 was a Soviet heavy bomber designed before World War II, and the only four-engine bomber the USSR built during the war. Produced in limited numbers, it was used to bomb Berlin in August 1941. It was also used for so-called "morale raids" designed to raise the spirit of the Soviet people by exposing Axis vulnerabilities. Its primary mission, however, was to attack German airfields, rail yards and other rear-area facilities at night, although one was used to fly the People's Commissar of Foreign Affairs (Foreign Minister) Vyacheslav Molotov from Moscow to the United States in 1942.

Originally designated the TB-7, the aircraft was renamed the Pe-8 after its primary designer, Vladimir Petlyakov, died in a plane crash in 1942. Supply problems complicated the aircraft's production and the Pe-8s also had engine problems. As Soviet morale boosters, they were also high-value targets for the Luftwaffe's fighter pilots. The loss rate of these aircraft, whether from mechanical failure, friendly fire, or combat, doubled between 1942 and 1944.

By the end of the war, most of the surviving aircraft had been withdrawn from combat units. After the war, some were modified as transports for important officials, and a few others were used in various Soviet testing programs. Some supported the Soviet Arctic operations until the late 1950s.

Source:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petlyakov_Pe-8

"Did you know there are three kind of aces? Those who seek strength. Those who live for pride. And those who can read the tide of battle. Those are the three." - Larry "Pixy" Foulke (Ace Combat Zero)

Also tagged with Petlyakov, Pe-8

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users