Damn This Skill Ceiling Is Brutal

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

Desmios #1 Posted 27 February 2017 - 12:24 AM

Senior Airman

• 147 battles

Most my planes are 2/3, and 1 t4.

When I get matched up versus a decent human it is nuts, I get completely wrecked by good players.

In other games atleast I have a chance :(

Cdn_Avro #2 Posted 27 February 2017 - 12:47 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 35135 battles
  • [WHAWK] WHAWK

We have all been there.  When there were 3 man flights and u saw 3 410's coming at you in the atmosphere flying the dragon.

You knew u were in trouble.  It's a tough road to get better but when u do the game is fun.

Zigfreid #3 Posted 27 February 2017 - 12:59 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 33540 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-

View PostCdn_Avro, on 26 February 2017 - 06:47 PM, said:

We have all been there.  When there were 3 man flights and u saw 3 410's coming at you in the atmosphere flying the dragon.

You knew u were in trouble.  It's a tough road to get better but when u do the game is fun.

Same here 31k battles and still flying having fun, paid my dues.

If you want to win practice, you will learn something every game. 

Psicko23 #4 Posted 27 February 2017 - 01:07 AM

First Lieutenant

• 18508 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-
Yes it is brutal when you first start out. If you have an experienced human on your team and you die, don't exit to hangar follow that human and watch what they do. Also, if you have a gaming headset, reach out to the experienced people and flight up with them to learn. Voice communications is the best for that. 

Zapperguy #5 Posted 27 February 2017 - 01:20 AM

First Lieutenant

• -Community Ace-
  • 31300 battles
  • [CLOWN] CLOWN

I've quoted myself from another thread:

View PostZapperguy, on 15 August 2016 - 09:46 AM, said:

This game typically takes 200 battles to not s*ck. You should try flighting with one of your clanmates and using comms such as TeamSpeak. Real-time verbal advice/instruction is invaluable to a new player.

Here are some very basic tips:

• Learn the 4 plane types - Fighter, Multirole Fighter, Heavy Fighter, & Attack Aircraft. You need to understand their strengths and weaknesses not only when you fly them, but when you face them.
  • Don't rush up the tiers thinking a better plane will make the difference. You need to learn to walk before you can run. Take it slow and develop your skills. You'll need them at higher tiers.
  • Don't be first. First to red is usually first dead. If you lead the pack the enemy will see you first and you will have several planes attacking you at once. Hang back in the pack!!!
  • Stay with the pack. In any type of fighter, you need to stay in/very near the pack to get any support. It's easy to stray while chasing, but you have to maintain situational awareness.
  • Situational Awareness comes with experience. Know where you are, what's around you, the status of the supremacy bar, where your team is, and where the enemy is. Try not to lose track of any of it during a battle.
  • Altitude is life. With the exception of Attack Aircraft (often referred to as GAs - ground attack), starting at the top of the green band or a bit above it will give you a better chance to pounce on your prey.
  • Learn energy management. Poor energy management leads to you stuck near the ground in a fighter with no momentum or boost to improve your situation. Keep your speed up and try to save boost for escaping.
  • Don't fight over red. New players are eager to rush out into battle not paying attention to where they are on the map. Enemy AA (anti-aircraft guns) will kill you! Draw then enemy to green and let your AA help.
  • Bombs don't spoil. Don't load bombs planning to hurry up and drop them, then fight planes. You will likely die before you reach a target of value or you'll lose a ton of energy and end up low and vulnerable.
  • Don't let yourself get angry. If you do, walk away for a bit. An angry pilot makes more mistakes and just gets angrier.
  • Watch others after you die. Use the spectate option rather than going back to the hangar. Learn from both the successes and failures of others. See what they are doing differently that has them still alive.
  • Have fun. It's a game. If it becomes a source of nothing but frustration, then you're doing it wrong.

Good Luck!

:honoring:

Hope to see you in the skies!

:honoring:

'Customize Your Carousel' thread - LINK

Custom skins for I-16(L), LBSh, & IL-20 - LINK

Omega_Weapon #6 Posted 27 February 2017 - 01:33 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 9580 battles
  • [GRIEF] GRIEF
Zapper's stuff above is good advice. Pay special heed to the bit about situational awareness. I would add that the tiers you are playing in consist of lower level bots mostly (noob bots). That means the human players are usually the bigger threat to you. If you can, download Hryunomod which will tell you the skill levels (statistically) of the various pilots and you will know who the biggest threats are. If not, you just need to take note of the names and maybe look people up after a match to learn who is who the old fashioned way. Certain clan tags are a good indicator too. Knowledge is power.

INCISION #7 Posted 27 February 2017 - 01:51 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2188 battles
Stick with it man! Try some training room flying with some bots is also an option. It will come to you, trust us.

BrushWolf #8 Posted 27 February 2017 - 02:10 AM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 10465 battles
  • [GWG] GWG

View PostCdn_Avro, on 26 February 2017 - 06:47 PM, said:

Now it is two DRACS in 410's :teethhappy:

View PostZigfreid, on 26 February 2017 - 06:59 PM, said:

Same here 31k battles and still flying having fun, paid my dues.

If you want to win practice, you will learn something every game. 

Hang in there and when you die stay in the match and watch the human players and don't give up while the learning curve is steep but not insurmountable.

Edited by BrushWolf, 27 February 2017 - 03:07 AM.

I used to have a handle on life until it broke off.

“The church is near but the road is icy, the tavern is far away but I will walk carefully”

Russian Proverb

pyantoryng #9 Posted 27 February 2017 - 02:51 AM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 11525 battles

At least you have more chance to run into other inexperienced players at low tiers...it's just merciless at high tier these days...

The most important thing is to not become demoralized. If you can stick with it long enough you, too, can deliver the stomping.

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

BrushWolf #10 Posted 27 February 2017 - 03:09 AM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 10465 battles
  • [GWG] GWG

View Postpyantoryng, on 26 February 2017 - 08:51 PM, said:

At least you have more chance to run into other inexperienced players at low tiers...it's just merciless at high tier these days...

The most important thing is to not become demoralized. If you can stick with it long enough you, too, can deliver the stomping.

Sadly there are way too many professional seal clubbers in the low tiers that make it hell of everyone.

Edited by BrushWolf, 27 February 2017 - 03:11 AM.

I used to have a handle on life until it broke off.

“The church is near but the road is icy, the tavern is far away but I will walk carefully”

Russian Proverb

Rosebud #11 Posted 27 February 2017 - 04:25 AM

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 11445 battles
  • [SICK] SICK

All of the above is good advice, from good players who have all stood exactly where you stand now. Please allow me to offer mine. You will not get better over night, none of us did. We got our butts handed to us just as you are now. Do whatever it takes to learn. Stay in a comfortable tier, join a clan, flight up, whatever. Play whatever plane you think offers you the best opportunity to win. learn from your mistakes. If someone does something that wins a battle or kills you...remember it, repeat it and make it your own. When you're dead don't just log to the next game, watch and learn from those humans that have kicked your rear. Ask questions in chat afterward, most everyone will assist you unless their a jerk like me. This is not an easy game to learn...sorry...it's going to be awhile before you are the hunter and not the hunted. Good luck.

Bobby_Tables #12 Posted 27 February 2017 - 05:21 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 22229 battles
  • [WHAWK] WHAWK

Hey Desmios, hope you keep playing.  It took me much longer than a lot of people to even begin to figure out how to play this game.  I stuck with it because I like planes and, well, I like planes.  

At T1/T2 and pretty much up to T3 this game is more like a FPS than at higher tiers.  You fly around, try not to stall your plane, and shoot stuff up while keeping an eye on your tail.  Just don't focus on one plane and let someone get on your tail.  If they do, fly like a maniac and try to turn the tables on them.  Even at T2, learn the strengths and weaknesses of the plane you are flying and try to fly it to your strength.  If it's meant to get up high, do that.  If maneuverable, fly like a maniac.  At this point, it's a good time to search the forums and internet for things like BFM (Basic Fighter Maneuvers), BnZ (Boom and Zoom).  For example, if you get an Ao 192 Kurier you are going to fly it much differently than say a Bulldog.  

Once you get to T4, I think it is essential that you learn and use BFM, BnZ and other techniques - again the forums and internet have plenty of info.  As an example, I learned about using a modified barrel roll to stay on the tail of a plane rather than overshooting when I have more airspeed.  Energy Fighting (look it up) becomes much more important at higher tiers although you can apply those techniques at lower tiers as well.  It's just that the lower tiers are more forgiving of mistakes because the bots are so bad and there's almost always a furball.

It is a pretty long learning curve but I neglected to reach out early on.  Only after I started getting told I was hard to kill did people reach out to me to help me learn how to start killing.  I am still learning big time.     

Edited by Bobby_Tables, 27 February 2017 - 05:22 AM.

x_WARHOG_x #13 Posted 27 February 2017 - 06:34 AM

• 28286 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostBrushWolf, on 26 February 2017 - 09:10 PM, said:

Now it is two DRACS in 410's :teethhappy:

:trollface:

But really flying against 3-man Drac flights is what made me the pilot I am today........

Edited by x_WARHOG_x, 27 February 2017 - 06:36 AM.

Sneaking up on your six.....................

losttwo #14 Posted 27 February 2017 - 09:51 AM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 29924 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

View Postx_WARHOG_x, on 27 February 2017 - 01:34 AM, said:

:trollface:

But really flying with and against 3-man Drac and ACE'S flights is what made me the pilot I am today........

losttwo #15 Posted 27 February 2017 - 10:28 AM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 29924 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

Glad to see you are playing this game and hope you stick with it.

UNFORTUNATELY. The not so divine creators of this game have developed an environement

that incentivizes experienced players to play lower tiers for mission completion.

Yes, there are some players that play lower tiers consistently for other reasons but I think if the mission reward structure was different

there would be less of the experienced players playing below tier 4.

As with most games, you will start out at the bottom and have to grind your way to being more experienced.

I can not think of any game I have played were I was instantly transported to being the most experienced

unless of course i play tic tac toe with my babies.

The fact of life is that there are always people with more experience and better at something than you.

Psicko23 #16 Posted 27 February 2017 - 10:34 AM

First Lieutenant

• 18508 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-
When I saw a Drac or 3 flighted on the other side I knew it was going to most likely be a loss. I do remember one time I actually won. That was a pretty good feeling. There was a 3 man flight(can't remember the clan), we knew we had to kill the drac flight. I grouped up with them, stayed high until we saw them and went 4 vs 3. Once they were killed, we bnz'd everyone else since they rest of the two teams went to the deck. I wish I knew about replays then. 

LuckyOtter #17 Posted 27 February 2017 - 02:53 PM

Airman Basic

• 555 battles
  • [GWG] GWG

Well, I guess this is a good place to jump in here...

Like OP, I am a noob here, and was kinda frustrated at the seal-clubbing that I encountered right away.

But, this is a game that I knew I wanted to play, and being a WOWSHIPS player since OBT, I figured there would be a learning curve.

300+ battles later, I am starting to get the hang of it, a little...  I committed to flying with a joystick from flight 1, and it certainly adds an element to the gameplay, that I had to figure out.

I got up to the T5 Wildcat fairly quick in my opinion, so I can see the temptation to run up the ladder... So, I am consciously trying to stay below this level, and learn the different plane types.

I appreciate reading the comments here, as with the wows forum, there are some great suggestions, even the ones that come with a little salt.

Zapperguy, I am going to print out your words and post them by my monitor.  Especially the frustration vs fun comment.

I got my first two Aces last week, so either RNGesus is with me, or things are starting to click.

Desmios, stick with it! I'm going to, I haven't had this much fun since I researched USS St. Louis, which is an Ah hah! moment in wows.

I guess the only question I have is....  Where's the F6F Hellcat?  Am I missing it in the Tech Tree?

Cheers, guys, GL:HF

Otter

Drewthesteelman #18 Posted 27 February 2017 - 03:12 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 7698 battles
It can take thousands of battles to get all the nuances of this game down. Stick with it. Rewards come later. 

pyantoryng #19 Posted 27 February 2017 - 03:39 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 11525 battles

EXP comes quick and games do not last as long letting the payout to register quicker and you can squeeze in more games in the same time you would do only a few with Ships...

...and no, there is no such thing as F6F Hellcat - there are enough planes to do Grumman line without using paper planes...the American tree has plenty of stuff, and the British line is next in line apparently, so just wait for it...

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

_Warchylde_ #20 Posted 27 February 2017 - 06:53 PM

First Lieutenant

• 8481 battles
  • [WHAWK] WHAWK

View PostLuckyOtter, on 27 February 2017 - 09:53 AM, said:

Well, I guess this is a good place to jump in here...

Like OP, I am a noob here, and was kinda frustrated at the seal-clubbing that I encountered right away.

But, this is a game that I knew I wanted to play, and being a WOWSHIPS player since OBT, I figured there would be a learning curve.

300+ battles later, I am starting to get the hang of it, a little...  I committed to flying with a joystick from flight 1, and it certainly adds an element to the gameplay, that I had to figure out.

I got up to the T5 Wildcat fairly quick in my opinion, so I can see the temptation to run up the ladder... So, I am consciously trying to stay below this level, and learn the different plane types.

I appreciate reading the comments here, as with the wows forum, there are some great suggestions, even the ones that come with a little salt.

Zapperguy, I am going to print out your words and post them by my monitor.  Especially the frustration vs fun comment.

I got my first two Aces last week, so either RNGesus is with me, or things are starting to click.

Desmios, stick with it! I'm going to, I haven't had this much fun since I researched USS St. Louis, which is an Ah hah! moment in wows.

I guess the only question I have is....  Where's the F6F Hellcat?  Am I missing it in the Tech Tree?

Cheers, guys, GL:HF

Otter

Best advice I can give is fly a t least 100 battles in each plane type per tier. Learn their strengths and weaknesses, so that you can exploit them later on.

Rushing up the tiers is a brutally bad idea (I speak from experience, trust me on this).

I'm also facing the same problems as you and the OP, because I stopped playing right after bots were introduced (hated them then, still hate them now), and I find that I'm having to learn the game all over again, and my win rate has suffered as such. My Tier 7s, 8s, and 9s are gathering dust, because I'm finding it difficult to be successful in Tier 5 and 6 at the present time.

Take all of the advice in this thread and continue to grind away at the game.  That's how I personally went from seal to clubber, (in the old game), and now that I'm the seal again, I'm right back where I started from.

Nothing in life is free. Put in the work, continue to learn from your mistakes, watch the successful players, and just keep practicing. One day you will be surprised to find that suddenly, everything just "clicks".

I see you're in Gray Wolf....some very good pilots (and some good friends) in there, so reach out to them, get in TS, and fly with them, and your learning curve will be greatly reduced.

Cheers, 

War

Edited by _Warchylde_, 27 February 2017 - 06:55 PM.

There are very few problems in this world which can not be solved

by a suitable and timely application of concentrated firepower.

"Fly High, Fly Fast, Fly Smart, and Shoot First!!"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users