OK, what am I doing wrong?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

_Warchylde_ #1 Posted 24 February 2017 - 01:00 AM

First Lieutenant

• 10944 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

Posting this in the Newcomer's Forum, because I'm feeling like I have to learn the bloody game all over again.

This is NOT the game I used to play.....simple as that.

I hear people say "control the bots. Tell them where to go. Tell them what to shoot.

That much is simple, because the bots listen about as well as most humans do, and then go off and do whatever they want.

If I'm in a mid-altitude plane, the bots lawn dart, and I'm facing all the enemy bots.

If I'm a high flyer, the bots go low, and I'm facing all the enemy bots.

If I go window licking, the bots run to the other side of the map and all die, and again, I'm facing all the enemy bots at the end of the battle.

So.....what am I doing wrong?

I know I'm a little rusty, but dangit, my win rate went from almost 59% to 55.4% in just two days.

Ain't gonna lie, it's getting quite frustrating.

(New machine runs great though.....)

Edited by _Warchylde_, 24 February 2017 - 01:00 AM.

"Shee, you guys are so unhip, it's a wonder your bums don't fall off!"

- Zaphod Beeblebrox

MARS_REVENANT #2 Posted 24 February 2017 - 01:08 AM

Major

• 33845 battles
  • [SICK] SICK

flight?

I never lose; either I win or I learn.

Lethalhavoc #3 Posted 24 February 2017 - 01:23 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2972 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

The bots follow the humans, you turn they turn, you go high they go high.

The problem is when other humans drag a percentage of the bots off into the wild blue yonder because they're afk, or bots too.

Ace_BOTlistic_Cosmo #4 Posted 24 February 2017 - 01:52 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 20580 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

View Post_Warchylde_, on 23 February 2017 - 08:00 PM, said:

Posting this in the Newcomer's Forum, because I'm feeling like I have to learn the bloody game all over again.

This is NOT the game I used to play.....simple as that.

I hear people say "control the bots. Tell them where to go. Tell them what to shoot.

That much is simple, because the bots listen about as well as most humans do, and then go off and do whatever they want.

If I'm in a mid-altitude plane, the bots lawn dart, and I'm facing all the enemy bots.

If I'm a high flyer, the bots go low, and I'm facing all the enemy bots.

If I go window licking, the bots run to the other side of the map and all die, and again, I'm facing all the enemy bots at the end of the battle.

So.....what am I doing wrong?

I know I'm a little rusty, but dangit, my win rate went from almost 59% to 55.4% in just two days.

Ain't gonna lie, it's getting quite frustrating.

(New machine runs great though.....)

get into warhawks TS and flight with Mars

he'll show you in 10 games what would take weeks to learn... plus you'll likely win 80% or better

if the pilot's good, see, I mean, if he's really..sharp, he can barrel that baby in so low [he spreads his arms like wings and laughs],

you oughtta see it sometime, it's a sight. A big plane like a '52. VRROOM! There's jet exhaust, fryin' chickens in the barnyard.

Cdn_Avro #5 Posted 24 February 2017 - 02:15 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 37424 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

If you go into Whawks TS your life expectancy drops by 2 years.  Mars will talk, talk, talk.  Ace will drink, drink, drink and I will just keep saying sorry because that's what Canadians do.

_Warchylde_ #6 Posted 24 February 2017 - 02:23 AM

First Lieutenant

• 10944 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

View PostCdn_Avro, on 23 February 2017 - 09:15 PM, said:

If you go into Whawks TS your life expectancy drops by 2 years.  Mars will talk, talk, talk.  Ace will drink, drink, drink and I will just keep saying sorry because that's what Canadians do.

I grew up in Seattle, and spent a LOT of time in BC, so I'm used to whole Canadian attitude thing....no fear here.

- Zaphod Beeblebrox

Zapperguy #7 Posted 24 February 2017 - 02:41 AM

First Lieutenant

• -Community Ace-
  • 34130 battles
  • [CLOWN] CLOWN

Welcome back, sir!

I'm lazy by nature so here's a quote from a diff thread that has some bot control tips.

View PostZapperguy, on 12 August 2016 - 10:41 AM, said:

I have had moderate success with the latest iteration of bots following commands. You have to look at the big picture, not just use bot commands as a panic button.

To have better luck:

• You need to stay with the pack - Do Not Lead !!!  If you are in the lead, you will be the first spotted by the ENTIRE enemy team. First spotted is often the first killed.
  • Let the bots lead as you climb in the direction you want them to go. Climbing will slow your forward progress allowing some of the bots to take the lead, but they will go in the direction of a human that is with them even if he/she is not in front. Remember, multiple humans means the bots can't follow everybody if you split up. Coordinate with the humans on your team.
  • Don't use F7 preemptively! They will reply "Negative" every time, which is appropriate. F7 is "Clear my tail" - enemy are chasing you and you are in imminent danger. I only use this when I have multiple enemy chasing me. And again, you must be near/in the pack. They will not help you across the map.
  • F4 is not an effective command, save the keystroke.
  • F2 is your friend. "Coordinated attack on..." Your job before you think about using it, is to lock the enemy you want targeted. Letting the game autolock whatever is in front of you, and then pressing F2 works sometimes. But, I use "next target" in my control setup which allows me to toggle through the available targets until the one I want help with is in the little target window and the game says target locked. Then I press F2.
  • Didn't work? Were you still near the pack? How many red vs how many green were there? Were they actively engaged?  Did you answer your bots' "SOS" cries? If your bots are right on an enemy bot's tail or have an enemy bot chasing them, they won't break off to help you attack a different plane. You have to be aware of the bots' situation as well as your own. They are your teammates, such as it is.
  • Situational awareness is something that comes with experience in this game, continually improving over time (if you're doing it right). Don't get target-focused and lose track of both where you are on the map and where the enemy and your team are.  It can happen to anyone but newer players are the most susceptible.
  • Finally, if you are near the ground and your team is at altitude fighting above you, then they generally won't break off making themselves easy targets as they dive to help you. 
  • If you are in a GA being attacked by another GA at the start, bots won't come down for you, but you shouldn't really need them to.

Good luck. Hope some of these tips help.

:honoring:

'Customize Your Carousel' thread - LINK

Custom skins for I-16(L), LBSh, & IL-20 - LINK

RRandy87 #8 Posted 24 February 2017 - 03:34 AM

Master Sergeant

• 905 battles
Good tips on (more or less) controlling the bots, Zapper. How about when I'm flying in tier 1 and my sole human partner decides he's going to go off and become a GA...... while flying a P12..... dragging half our bots with him. If I shoot him down myself do I get control (sort of) of all our bots again?

Psicko23 #9 Posted 24 February 2017 - 04:12 AM

First Lieutenant

• 19114 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-
Nice thinking Randy. One human controls the bots until the enemy team is seen. By the time you kill him it would be too late. What I usually do when that happens is stay back a bit, let all of the enemy planes drop low and go after your low bots. Then go in, clear tails and try to get a plane advantage as quick as possible. If there is a good human or low tier seal clubber chances are, they will be doing the same thing. 

BrushWolf #10 Posted 24 February 2017 - 03:19 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 10764 battles
  • [GWG] GWG
What I like to do after a break is to sort of treat the game like I have never played. Grab a tier one and get your wings back on and then move up as you get comfortable.

Edited by BrushWolf, 24 February 2017 - 03:19 PM.

I used to have a handle on life until it broke off.

“The church is near but the road is icy, the tavern is far away but I will walk carefully”

Russian Proverb

spaceghost2 #11 Posted 24 February 2017 - 05:02 PM

Senior Airman

• 12942 battles
  • [-IBF-] -IBF-
 Well done Zapper .....Very informative..... great tips.    Thanks o7

losttwo #12 Posted 24 February 2017 - 05:32 PM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 29924 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G
you installed the game....:hiding:

Edited by losttwo, 24 February 2017 - 05:32 PM.

_Warchylde_ #13 Posted 24 February 2017 - 05:35 PM

First Lieutenant

• 10944 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

View Postlosttwo, on 24 February 2017 - 12:32 PM, said:

LOL

indeed

- Zaphod Beeblebrox

pigeon_kicker #14 Posted 25 February 2017 - 12:29 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Open Beta Tester
  • 20011 battles
  • [SF] SF

View Postlosttwo, on 24 February 2017 - 12:32 PM, said:

Double Giggle

Edited by pigeon_kicker, 25 February 2017 - 12:29 PM.

If you want to make god laugh, tell him about your plans for survival..

Lead developer for the NACCW web site. Author of the Pigeon Pak Mod Installer

www.team-sf.com

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users