Ordnance and Manuvereability

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

RRandy87 #1 Posted 12 February 2017 - 11:42 PM

Master Sergeant

• 905 battles

Ok, today's noob question is ......

If you load your plane with rockets and/or bombs you naturally take a hit as far as agility of your aircraft. Once you use or jettison them though does the maneuverability of your plane go back to its normal value? I have no idea how to check this dynamically, while you are actually in the game, so I was wondering if anyone knows for sure. I mean it should, just as in real life when pilots jettison drop tanks, etc. But, does it? Or, are you handicapped for the rest of the match because you installed rockets/bombs originally?

Claudio67 #2 Posted 13 February 2017 - 12:04 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Open Beta Tester
  • 15165 battles
Once you launch/drop everything, the plane's maneuvrability, speed, etc gets back to normal. Back ago, still there was some penalization because of pylons, supports, and so on, but that is no more that way.

Maiden_of_Death #3 Posted 13 February 2017 - 12:09 AM

Airman Basic

• 4028 battles
No, there is still some drag from your bomb racks and rocket launchers.

RRandy87 #4 Posted 13 February 2017 - 12:25 AM

Master Sergeant

• 905 battles

Hmmm....so we definitely get MOST of our maneuverability back and perhaps all, but there seems to be some disagreement about that. At least I'm on the right track.

As always, thanks for your help.

Maiden_of_Death #5 Posted 13 February 2017 - 12:30 AM

Airman Basic

• 4028 battles
There is an article/write up about this, just cant seem to find it at the moment. I will update this as soon as I locate it.

BrushWolf #6 Posted 13 February 2017 - 01:23 AM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 10628 battles
  • [GWG] GWG

View PostMaiden_of_Death, on 12 February 2017 - 06:09 PM, said:

In reality there is a tiny amount but the game doesn't factor that anymore and hasn't for a long time.

I used to have a handle on life until it broke off.

“The church is near but the road is icy, the tavern is far away but I will walk carefully”

Russian Proverb

losttwo #7 Posted 13 February 2017 - 01:29 AM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 29924 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

From my own experience of flying with and with out ordnance.

To include a recent match against mullyman.

No you do not get ALL of your maneuverability back.

The best way to test this or prove this theory is to find someone willing to go into the training room with you.

You will see that there is a difference in maneuverability.

Even flying the planes consistently from match to match some with and some with out ordnance you will notice a difference.

But of course that is only my experience...could just be a placebo effect.

x_WARHOG_x #8 Posted 13 February 2017 - 02:04 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 28878 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostMaiden_of_Death, on 12 February 2017 - 07:09 PM, said:

No there's not, It used to be but WG changed it years ago once you drop ordnance you go back to normal.....

Sneaking up on your six.....................

Kiwiav8r #9 Posted 13 February 2017 - 02:47 AM

• 11243 battles
  • [ACES_] ACES_

View Postx_WARHOG_x, on 13 February 2017 - 02:04 PM, said:

No there's not, It used to be but WG changed it years ago once you drop ordnance you go back to normal.....

From a gameplay perspective it makes sense, they want multi-role fighters to be able to perform both in a single battle.  I guess some people want a bit more realism in their fantasy... :trollface:

"Credibility down, Kill Ratio up!" - Joe 'Hoser' Satrapa

Aces (pre v1.9):  Bulldog, A4N, Hawk III, F2A-1, I-16(e), Skua, Ar68, A6M1, P-36, XF4F-3, Bf-109B, Bf-110B, Bf-110 C6, Blenheim, Bf-109E, Bf-110E, P-40, P-40 M105, XFL-1, Spitfire I, M.20, Beaufighter, IL-2 (mod), XF4U-1, Mosquito, P-51A, Yak-7, Yak-1M, Bf-109F, La-5, Spitfire V, Me-410, F4U-1, Fw-190 A5, Yak-9, XP-50, P-39Q-15, Mustang Mk 1, P-38J, P-51D, Yak-9U, Bf-109G, La-7, Spitfire IX, A7M, Fw-190D, F7F, Yak-15, Me-262

Omega_Weapon #10 Posted 13 February 2017 - 03:32 AM

• 9775 battles
  • [GRIEF] GRIEF
If I have ordnance on my plane and target lock somebody in the same kind of plane I can see by the comparison that my speed and maneuverability are worse. If I jettison everything it does not seem to change at first. You need to switch targets and come back to that same plane to refresh the comparison though. Once I do it shows my plane equal to theirs as expected. I would say that is fair evidence that there is no residual drag effect from bomb racks anymore.

losttwo #11 Posted 13 February 2017 - 11:21 AM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 29924 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

Its not fair i should not be patronizing a new player with my rhetoric of B.S.

Although my experience is real it is not what happens in the game.

Yes Wargaming has stated somewhere ( as someone mentioned ) that once ordnance is dropped the maneuverability and speed

return to NO LOAD abilities.

However, one must realize that in the course of battle your airspeed and maneuverability will suffer based on damage received.

Like wise pilot skill will have an effect.

Regardless of if the planes start with the same and equal stats in the main comparison screen or a handicap of ordnance.

That will quickly change in the course of combat.

That is one of the GOOD things in this game. The consistent change of match dynamics based on damage, skill, energy retention.

You can easily start a battle being able to out maneuver everything and by the end of the battle not be able to out maneuver a GA. ( exaggerated )

So do not be surprised if someone in a less maneuverable plane out maneuvers you.

It does happen and it will happen.

Psicko23 #12 Posted 13 February 2017 - 12:43 PM

First Lieutenant

• 18508 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-

Last time I played, there was not a penalty once you got rid of your ordnance. The easiest way to check this is to write down all your stats of your plane without ordnance. Then go into modules and add ordnance. Now go into the section with ammo, ordnance, etc. Remove any ordnance from your plane, but you keep the mounts for the ordnance. Now compare the plane stats to the one you wrote down that doesn't have ordnance or mounts on it. They shold be the same. 

_Warchylde_ #13 Posted 13 February 2017 - 12:55 PM

First Lieutenant

• 9171 battles
  • [WHAWK] WHAWK

One of the patch notes from an update well over a year ago stated that they had removed the mechanic that penalized pylons and bomb racks, once the ordnance has been off-loaded. I THINK it was right after they introduced the concept of the multirole class.

Bottom line is that I ALWAYS mount rockets if available, and use them early in the match when entering the merge, and for the rest of the match, the plane performs normally.  Once you ditch the explosives, it's like you never had them

Edited by _Warchylde_, 13 February 2017 - 12:58 PM.

There are very few problems in this world which can not be solved

by a suitable and timely application of concentrated firepower.

"Fly High, Fly Fast, Fly Smart, and Shoot First!!"

RRandy87 #14 Posted 13 February 2017 - 05:42 PM

Master Sergeant

• 905 battles
Thanks for all the help on this guys. Your strategy is pretty much exactly what I was thinking about Warchylde. Right now I'm loading rockets every time, trying to use them quick, then getting back to more traditional fighting. Thanks for confirming that this is a viable option.

Psicko23 #15 Posted 13 February 2017 - 10:29 PM

First Lieutenant

• 18508 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-
I usually do the same. If a plane carries rockets, I usually have them on. Depends on my mood and the game. Sometimes I use my rockets at the beginning, sometimes I save one or two for later.

_Warchylde_ #16 Posted 13 February 2017 - 10:46 PM

First Lieutenant

• 9171 battles
  • [WHAWK] WHAWK

View PostRRandy87, on 13 February 2017 - 12:42 PM, said:

Thanks for all the help on this guys. Your strategy is pretty much exactly what I was thinking about Warchylde. Right now I'm loading rockets every time, trying to use them quick, then getting back to more traditional fighting. Thanks for confirming that this is a viable option.

Just remember, those rockets are meant for planes, unless you're in a GA (or possibly a heavy and you're going for a Destroyer).

Take a look through the Community Creations forum....guys like Soloshooter, Team Terrible, Zigfried, and several others have videos that are helpful in getting the hang of the air-to air rocket kill.

Here's one you may find interesting: https://youtu.be/5NgXYtOThj0

View PostPsicko23, on 13 February 2017 - 05:29 PM, said:

I usually do the same. If a plane carries rockets, I usually have them on. Depends on my mood and the game. Sometimes I use my rockets at the beginning, sometimes I save one or two for later.

Yeah, sometimes I'll fire 2 or 3 rockets in the merge. If they hit, then I have a couple for later (like an unwary GA down low....gotta love ground splash).

If they miss, then I just say F*** it and offload.

Edited by _Warchylde_, 13 February 2017 - 10:49 PM.

RedSpartacus #17 Posted 14 February 2017 - 01:23 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 16851 battles
  • [GW__S] GW__S

For the majority of new players it has no effect. Once they dropped their bombs they are dead or their team is gone and they die shortly after.

It's not only maneuverability that gets a hit but also the ability to climb as high as without ordnance. Again, for some player it doesn't matter because they don't climb at all.

RUN WITH THE PACK

RRandy87 #18 Posted 14 February 2017 - 11:15 PM

Master Sergeant

• 905 battles

View PostRedSpartacus, on 14 February 2017 - 01:23 PM, said:

For the majority of new players it has no effect. Once they dropped their bombs they are dead or their team is gone and they die shortly after.

It's not only maneuverability that gets a hit but also the ability to climb as high as without ordnance. Again, for some player it doesn't matter because they don't climb at all.

Actually, that could apply to me right now. I've only tried to use rockets a few times and often, even though the intent is to use them quickly, I'm so busy looking for a target that before I know it someone is behind me tearing up my plane. Time to panic. Can't maneuver well enough 'cause I still got rockets, not in a James Bond plane---can't fire them behind me to take this guy out, better hurry up and ditch them, oh wait, never mind, I'm dead. So, I like the idea of always starting with rockets if they are available. The execution part needs some work.....

_Warchylde_ #19 Posted 15 February 2017 - 01:25 PM

First Lieutenant

• 9171 battles
  • [WHAWK] WHAWK

View PostRRandy87, on 14 February 2017 - 06:15 PM, said:

Actually, that could apply to me right now. I've only tried to use rockets a few times and often, even though the intent is to use them quickly, I'm so busy looking for a target that before I know it someone is behind me tearing up my plane. Time to panic. Can't maneuver well enough 'cause I still got rockets, not in a James Bond plane---can't fire them behind me to take this guy out, better hurry up and ditch them, oh wait, never mind, I'm dead. So, I like the idea of always starting with rockets if they are available. The execution part needs some work.....

When in doubt, ditch em.

Don't go in with the mindset of getting a rocket kill, and don't let it dictate your tactics.

Rockets are simply another option for you. Take the shot, even if the results may be a bit sketchy, you only get better by practicing with them. Don't be afraid to jump in a training room to practice.

RRandy87 #20 Posted 15 February 2017 - 05:25 PM

Master Sergeant

• 905 battles
My plans exactly, Warchylde.....heading for the training rooms to practice with rockets a bit.....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users