A message to the true noobs

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

Snoticus #1 Posted 09 February 2017 - 05:57 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 2158 battles
  • [SF] SF

Hi there! Snoticus here, the resident low tier bomber(what i call all GA's,since I mainly fly those, as they are specifistically made to attack those nasty dot's-sss). I see alot of you new folks talking about in game's how hard it is to get aces with GA's and such in this game. I'm here to say NO it is NOT. I have 5 in under 2k games, and i believe 4 are ga.(bomber) 

Three tips for you guys.

1. Do NOT dive on the first plane you see!

2. If someone takes time to give you advice AFTER you have asked for it..take it and USE it.

3. GET IN A CLAN! as much as you lone wolf types love that freedom, to REALLY win in this game, you need a clan or regular wing mates. Much easier to win when someones watching your 12.

Good luck out there and have fun. 

Edited by Snoticus, 10 February 2017 - 09:57 AM.

tlhIngan maH! Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam!

Zigfreid #2 Posted 09 February 2017 - 07:25 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 35199 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-

Hi ya Snot, you are right about joining clans and flying with a wingman.

Teamwork is the most powerful tool in this game, to clear tails and win.

However we do not have bombers only HF, MR and GA that drop bombs.

Also the term we use is watch your six, or clear your tail, but still good advice.

FreeFOXMIKE #3 Posted 09 February 2017 - 08:02 AM

G.A.T.P. (Global Alpha Test Pilot)

• 18044 battles
  • [332ND] 332ND

View PostSnoticus, on 08 February 2017 - 11:57 PM, said:

Hi there! Snoticus here, the resident low tier bomber. I see alot of you new folks talking about how hard it is to get aces and such in this game. I'm here to say NO it is NOT. I have 5 in under 2k games, and i believe 4 are ga.(bomber) 

Three tips for you guys.

1. Do NOT dive on the first plane you see!

2. If someone takes time to give you advice..take it and USE it.

3. GET IN A CLAN! as much as you lone wolf types love that freedom. to REALLY win in this game, you need a clan or regular wing mates. Much easier to win when someones watching your 12.

Good luck out there and have fun. 

2. If someone takes time to give you advice..take it and USE it.  aaahhhh nooooo more times then not the guy giving advice or orders is the first guy shot down  take advice in the game as you would in real life --- with a grain of salt use it if it fits toss it if its not usable 

3.regular wing mates. Much easier to win when someones watching your 12. clans can help  but a regular wingman is better in most cases 

Good luck out there and have fun.  best advice yet have fun if the games not fun take aa small break until you find it fun again. 

332 Virtual  Fighter  Group

gerr22 #4 Posted 09 February 2017 - 12:16 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 13971 battles
  • [17SQ] 17SQ

please do not chase new guys away they will sort it out as we had to 

and i need the target practice lol

hawkeyededic #5 Posted 09 February 2017 - 01:30 PM

Resident Researcher

• -Community Ace-
  • 3020 battles
Good advice, but I prefer to have someone watching my 6 instead of what's in front of me.

Hawkeye's Hangar, your one stop spot for all my repaints. Like me on Facebook for news, updates and more.

_Warchylde_ #6 Posted 09 February 2017 - 01:55 PM

First Lieutenant

• 9798 battles
  • [WHAWK] WHAWK
Beat me to it, Hawkeye.

Edited by _Warchylde_, 09 February 2017 - 02:50 PM.

There are very few problems in this world which can not be solved

by a suitable and timely application of concentrated firepower.

"Fly High, Fly Fast, Fly Smart, and Shoot First!!"

EpicFlash76 #7 Posted 09 February 2017 - 02:02 PM

Senior Airman

• 2714 battles
As an actual noob who just got a computer to play games a few months ago, I can tell you that many (most?) of us beginners want to be murdered by seal clubbers, it's how we get better.  You might kill us the first hundred times, but eventually we'll get a hit on you, and then more, and then one day we'll take you down :).   Nothing comes easy, so don't take it easy on us.

Edited by EpicFlash76, 09 February 2017 - 02:03 PM.

Ace_BOTlistic_Cosmo #8 Posted 09 February 2017 - 02:13 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 19953 battles
  • [WHAWK] WHAWK

Snotty may be speaking of how the fighters can attack him from above (12 o'clock high) and in front which is a good way to kill GA while not taking on the tailgunner.

The movie:

Twelve O'Clock High - Wikipedia

Meaning of the title

Main article: Clock position

The term "twelve o'clock high" refers to the practice of calling out the positions of attacking enemy aircraft by reference to an imaginary clock face, with the bomber at the center. The terms "high" (above the bomber), "level" (at the same altitude as the bomber) and "low" (below the bomber) further refine the location of the enemy. Thus "twelve o'clock high" meant the attacker was approaching from directly ahead and above. This location was preferred by German fighter pilots because, until the introduction of the Bendix chin turret in the B-17G model, the nose of the B-17 was the most lightly armed and vulnerable part of the bomber. Enemy fighter aircraft diving from above were also more difficult targets for the B-17 gunners due to their high closing speeds.

Bartlett’s wife, actress Ellen Drew, named the story after hearing Bartlett and Lay discuss German fighter tactics, which usually involved head-on attacks from "twelve o’clock high".[6]

Twelve O'Clock High (TV series)

if the pilot's good, see, I mean, if he's really..sharp, he can barrel that baby in so low [he spreads his arms like wings and laughs],

you oughtta see it sometime, it's a sight. A big plane like a '52. VRROOM! There's jet exhaust, fryin' chickens in the barnyard.

_Warchylde_ #9 Posted 09 February 2017 - 02:54 PM

First Lieutenant

• 9798 battles
  • [WHAWK] WHAWK

View PostEpicFlash76, on 09 February 2017 - 09:02 AM, said:

As an actual noob who just got a computer to play games a few months ago, I can tell you that many (most?) of us beginners want to be murdered by seal clubbers, it's how we get better.  You might kill us the first hundred times, but eventually we'll get a hit on you, and then more, and then one day we'll take you down :).   Nothing comes easy, so don't take it easy on us.

What a refreshing attitude! +1 brother.

Most of us who've been here for years learned the exact same way, by getting our tuchases handed to us, learning from our mistakes, and using spectator mode to learn how more experienced pilots earned success.

Ignore the whiners, put in the work, and always remember that you don't get something for nothing.

There are very few problems in this world which can not be solved

by a suitable and timely application of concentrated firepower.

"Fly High, Fly Fast, Fly Smart, and Shoot First!!"

Snoticus #10 Posted 09 February 2017 - 03:04 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 2158 battles
  • [SF] SF

View PostAce_BOTlistic_Cosmo, on 09 February 2017 - 09:13 AM, said:

Snotty may be speaking of how the fighters can attack him from above (12 o'clock high) and in front which is a good way to kill GA while not taking on the tailgunner.

The movie:

Twelve O'Clock High - Wikipedia

Meaning of the title

Main article: Clock position

The term "twelve o'clock high" refers to the practice of calling out the positions of attacking enemy aircraft by reference to an imaginary clock face, with the bomber at the center. The terms "high" (above the bomber), "level" (at the same altitude as the bomber) and "low" (below the bomber) further refine the location of the enemy. Thus "twelve o'clock high" meant the attacker was approaching from directly ahead and above. This location was preferred by German fighter pilots because, until the introduction of the Bendix chin turret in the B-17G model, the nose of the B-17 was the most lightly armed and vulnerable part of the bomber. Enemy fighter aircraft diving from above were also more difficult targets for the B-17 gunners due to their high closing speeds.

Bartlett’s wife, actress Ellen Drew, named the story after hearing Bartlett and Lay discuss German fighter tactics, which usually involved head-on attacks from "twelve o’clock high".[6]

Twelve O'Clock High (TV series)

I'm glad someone understands me.
tlhIngan maH! Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam!

Zapperguy #11 Posted 09 February 2017 - 03:32 PM

First Lieutenant

• -Community Ace-
  • 32661 battles
  • [CLOWN] CLOWN

View PostSnoticus, on 09 February 2017 - 10:04 AM, said:

I'm glad someone understands me.

Well let's not get crazy...

:D

'Customize Your Carousel' thread - LINK

Custom skins for I-16(L), LBSh, & IL-20 - LINK

PhoinexFire #12 Posted 09 February 2017 - 03:42 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 8630 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

Well said, sir!

losttwo #13 Posted 09 February 2017 - 04:15 PM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 29924 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

Time to dismantle this pilots noob status and call him a PILOT.

Give him POSTER OF THE YEAR too.

best attitude I have seen in a long time from a new player.

It is the WG attitude of " let them fly what they want when they want. "

RRandy87 #14 Posted 09 February 2017 - 05:32 PM

Master Sergeant

• 905 battles

This post confuses me. Lol, sorry. I really don't see many people complaining. Maybe they are out there and I'm just not looking in the right places on the forums. Anyway.... As a noob myself I welcome the challenge that the more experienced pilots bring when they choose to drop down to tier 1. I have a habit of checking my after-action report and seeking out people who gave me a good game. I'm always happy to see when I've flamed some guy with 10-20k battles. It happens every day. There are plenty of times they get me too. Well done, sir, if that's the case. When people choose to "flight-up" in tier 1, that does annoy me a bit, but hey, its just more of a challenge.

As far as joining a squadron/clan... Lets just say I'm old enough to fit comfortably (uncomfortably?) In the Grey Wolf group....lol. Point being many squadrons have requirements such as teamspeak etc. I have no idea what that is (well maybe SOME idea) but certainly no idea how to use it or even what I would need to do to use it if I wanted to. Which I don't. Old guys and tech and all the stereotype stuff you know. Having said that, eventually I may join a squadron just to check it out. I'm sure they could provide lots of knowledge about the game that I still lack (as evidenced by my noob questions here.....more to follow on that by the way....lol). Heck, I don't even understand half the game controls/options yet. I'm here for the fun. I'll learn the other stuff, eventually, when I get to it or when it becomes really important to my continued enjoyment of the game.

Lastly, i really don't understand when you say people are complaining that its hard to get Aces and such. Are you referencing GAA, specifically? In that case then I have no idea, but if you are talking regular aircraft, then I don't see a problem at all. I just checked my profile. 372 battles, 91 Aces. So....not that difficult. Again, if you are talking about GAA then I admit I have no idea. Those numbers are actually diluted somewhat as well since, for some odd reason, I decided to try for this "Chasing the Mosquito" event. That required me to move up to tier 4 to get a qualifying plane to attempt the challenge. So I pretty much skipped tier 2 and 3, researched my 1st tier 4 plane and away I go..... Not close to aces at that level yet ...lol.

On a side note.....flying tier 4 REALLY makes me appreciate the tier 1 biplanes. It's like trying to maneuver in mud while flying those things. Wood and cloth, that's the way man was meant to fly. Wood and cloth.

Omega_Weapon #15 Posted 09 February 2017 - 06:04 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 10166 battles
  • [GRIEF] GRIEF

​That's the spirit. Winning attitude like that will help you become great in this game. :honoring:

Edited by Omega_Weapon, 09 February 2017 - 06:05 PM.

TeamTerrible #16 Posted 09 February 2017 - 11:19 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 44629 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G
With stuff like this I think we should be allowed accident forgiveness

Cdn_Avro #17 Posted 10 February 2017 - 01:06 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 35898 battles
  • [WHAWK] WHAWK

OMG we found someone ABC can communicate with!!!   Can we call Snotty in at 12:00 to translate what ABC is saying.  It's something like

Argflatreemaplewhisky .  Love ya ABC

Zapperguy #18 Posted 10 February 2017 - 01:29 PM

First Lieutenant

• -Community Ace-
  • 32661 battles
  • [CLOWN] CLOWN

View PostRRandy87, on 09 February 2017 - 12:32 PM, said:

This post confuses me. Lol, sorry. I really don't see many people complaining. Maybe they are out there and I'm just not looking in the right places on the forums. Anyway.... As a noob myself I welcome the challenge that the more experienced pilots bring when they choose to drop down to tier 1. I have a habit of checking my after-action report and seeking out people who gave me a good game. I'm always happy to see when I've flamed some guy with 10-20k battles. It happens every day. There are plenty of times they get me too. Well done, sir, if that's the case. When people choose to "flight-up" in tier 1, that does annoy me a bit, but hey, its just more of a challenge.

As far as joining a squadron/clan... Lets just say I'm old enough to fit comfortably (uncomfortably?) In the Grey Wolf group....lol. Point being many squadrons have requirements such as teamspeak etc. I have no idea what that is (well maybe SOME idea) but certainly no idea how to use it or even what I would need to do to use it if I wanted to. Which I don't. Old guys and tech and all the stereotype stuff you know. Having said that, eventually I may join a squadron just to check it out. I'm sure they could provide lots of knowledge about the game that I still lack (as evidenced by my noob questions here.....more to follow on that by the way....lol). Heck, I don't even understand half the game controls/options yet. I'm here for the fun. I'll learn the other stuff, eventually, when I get to it or when it becomes really important to my continued enjoyment of the game.

Lastly, i really don't understand when you say people are complaining that its hard to get Aces and such. Are you referencing GAA, specifically? In that case then I have no idea, but if you are talking regular aircraft, then I don't see a problem at all. I just checked my profile. 372 battles, 91 Aces. So....not that difficult. Again, if you are talking about GAA then I admit I have no idea. Those numbers are actually diluted somewhat as well since, for some odd reason, I decided to try for this "Chasing the Mosquito" event. That required me to move up to tier 4 to get a qualifying plane to attempt the challenge. So I pretty much skipped tier 2 and 3, researched my 1st tier 4 plane and away I go..... Not close to aces at that level yet ...lol.

On a side note.....flying tier 4 REALLY makes me appreciate the tier 1 biplanes. It's like trying to maneuver in mud while flying those things. Wood and cloth, that's the way man was meant to fly. Wood and cloth.

Aces are really easy at tier 1 especially vs the dopey bots down there. Try getting them at tier 3 and up & let us know how you make out & whether it was harder than tier 1.

As far as tier 4 being so much different... you will notice a dramatic difference in plane behavior anytime you jump up 3 tiers. If after the event you try the tiers you skipped, the transition to tier 4 will go more smoothly. It's like skipping 3 grades in school - huge changes that you aren't ready for yet. You may find that you really like some of the tier 2s & 3s almost as much as tier 1 but with a little tougher competition at least from the bots.

Good Luck!

:honoring:

'Customize Your Carousel' thread - LINK

Custom skins for I-16(L), LBSh, & IL-20 - LINK

RRandy87 #19 Posted 10 February 2017 - 11:47 PM

Master Sergeant

• 905 battles
Agree with everything you said, Zapper, BUT original post was about noobs complaining the game is too hard. Actually, you are kind-of making my point. I'm all for flying whatever you like, however you like. But, if at the same time you are doing all that you are complaining about the game being too hard then maybe you (the people complaining) need to rethink your strategy. As in if getting Aces, yada, yada, yada is that important to you, AND you are a noob, AND you are flying in a tier where you can't get Aces; then the proper response ISN'T to claim the game is too hard. It IS to realize that your strategy is flawed and you need to move down to where you can get Aces if that's what makes you happy. Or, hey, continue to struggle where you are at and whine if that's your thing, but there ARE solutions to the lack of Aces. Hop on down to tier 1, come slumming with us biplane pilots a bit, pick up tons of easy Aces and, oh yeah, sharpen your skills at the same time.

RRandy87 #20 Posted 12 February 2017 - 08:10 PM

Master Sergeant

• 905 battles

First try at posting images, so forgive me if this goes awry....

Anyway.... I'm required to get to tier 4 for the "Chasing the Mosquito" event so I'm dabbling with moving up. So....back on topic.... Only tier 3, but as per your request Zapper...

View PostZapperguy, on 10 February 2017 - 01:29 PM, said:

Aces are really easy at tier 1 especially vs the dopey bots down there. Try getting them at tier 3 and up & let us know how you make out & whether it was harder than tier 1....Good Luck!

:honoring:

So, admittedly at tier 4 I have about 40 flights and zero Aces etc. I'm thinking of going a different route for the Mosquito event. I had been using the UK line Bristol fighter since it is my only tier 4 plane. Decided to give the Russian line a try, especially the I-16 since it looks interesting to me and fits with the fighting style I like to employ. Second time out with this plane....

And the result is.....

Think I'm going to like the I-16 line :)  Anyway, to steer this back to topic...... If you are struggling and Aces, Awards, etc are important to you fly a tier that allows you to achieve them. If you are still struggling look at the planes you are flying. Do they fit your style of play? If you are trying to get Aces then GAA planes may not be the best choice since that's not what they are primarily designed for. Maybe go for the "Thunder" or "Destroyer" awards since those play more naturally to GAA's strengths.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users