My Joystick keeps disconnecting

hardware bug. bugs controls

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

First2Fight_Last2Fall #1 Posted 04 February 2017 - 06:48 PM

Airman Basic

• 3279 battles
  • [-DOW-] -DOW-

About every 3 battles my controls disconnect and usually stay disconnected. It is so bad I do a preflight before every battle to see if my joystick is working by going to settings to check if I have any signal input/output.

I have checked the drivers for the joystick and everything is up-to-date and working.

In battle sometimes unplugging and plugging them in fixes it, most of the time it doesn't.

Sometimes going to my device manager and clicking on the joystick's file works, but mostly it doesn't.

Same goes for hitting escape and trying the settings.

The only fix that routinely works is exiting the game and re-starting it. (I tried just disconnecting from the server, but it doesn't work.) It is pretty impractical to have to constantly quit and start the game every three battles or so, so if anybody has any ideas, I am curious to hear them.

Zapperguy #2 Posted 04 February 2017 - 07:05 PM

First Lieutenant

• -Community Ace-
  • 33051 battles
  • [CLOWN] CLOWN
  • Did it just start happening?
  • Had you been using the same setup without problems prior to this?
  • Any hardware changes to the PC?
  • Have you tried a different USB port?
  • Does your PC meet the minimum specs for the game?
  • When you have checked the stick in settings, has it ever failed to have a signal?
  • Does the stick work okay in other games?
  • Have you cleared your cache?

Lotsa questions...

:unsure:

Edited by Zapperguy, 04 February 2017 - 07:05 PM.

'Customize Your Carousel' thread - LINK

Custom skins for I-16(L), LBSh, & IL-20 - LINK

BrushWolf #3 Posted 04 February 2017 - 07:17 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 10764 battles
  • [GWG] GWG
It sound like the OP is having the same issue I occasionally have. I lose aleron, rudder, and elevator and nothing will bring them back within the match. It is completely random and I have no clue about haw to fix it or even what is causing it.

I used to have a handle on life until it broke off.

“The church is near but the road is icy, the tavern is far away but I will walk carefully”

Russian Proverb

Lethalhavoc #4 Posted 04 February 2017 - 07:18 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2972 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

Unplug it and ground out the connector using your finger.

Then reboot your system.

A static charge can build up causing issues.

Edited by Lethalhavoc, 04 February 2017 - 07:20 PM.

Claudio67 #5 Posted 04 February 2017 - 08:01 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Open Beta Tester
  • 15390 battles

If the joystick gets unplugged during game, it will not work again until the game is restarted, also if you start the game with the joystick unplugged and after you plug it in it won't be recognized by the game.

If you can't see the joystick in the Windows Device Manager then probably is a hardware fail, either in the joystick (loose contacts, wires) or in the USB port. Try connecting in another port and taking off other USB devices thet you'll not be using. If it's a desktop PC, try using the ports in the back, those directly attached to the mainboard.

First2Fight_Last2Fall #6 Posted 04 February 2017 - 10:05 PM

Airman Basic

• 3279 battles
  • [-DOW-] -DOW-

View PostZapperguy, on 04 February 2017 - 07:05 PM, said:

• Did it just start happening?
  • Had you been using the same setup without problems prior to this?
  • Any hardware changes to the PC?
  • Have you tried a different USB port?
  • Does your PC meet the minimum specs for the game?
  • When you have checked the stick in settings, has it ever failed to have a signal?
  • Does the stick work okay in other games?
  • Have you cleared your cache?

Lotsa questions...

:unsure:

The problem has been going on for a while, but it is happening more often lately. I haven't added any hardware. I tried other ports but it doesn't seem to help. I have a pretty decent Alienware 51 R2, so it meets the game requirements. Yes, sometimes the stick fails to show up in settings. I always check the signal before going into battles. I only use the stick for WoWP, so IDK if it works for other games. I never tried clearing my cache.

FlakValleyExpress #7 Posted 04 February 2017 - 10:10 PM

Captain

• 11950 battles

I found something here:

http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/93191-support-%E2%80%93-weird-keyboard-problems-corsair-k95-keyboard-and-other-related-matters-pt1/page__pid__2277007#entry2277007

If the joystick is running on a USB port, check if the USB ports are going asleep. Windows could be turning them off for power management. Turn the port timeouts off and give that a try. It wouldn't hurt to try it.

Edited by FlakValleyExpress, 04 February 2017 - 10:12 PM.

Airborne Scout - Class of 1.0

Fidei Defensor of WoWP,  Fortissimus Spei,  Amicus Autem Multis

"Battle is the Great Redeemer. It is the fiery crucible in which true heroes are forged. The one place where all men truly share the same rank, regardless of what kind of parasitic scum they were going in."

To clear WoWP Cache -Please press the windows key + r to open the 'run' dialog. Then type in %temp%\wargaming.net Then delete the "wowp" folder. This will clear the game cache

First2Fight_Last2Fall #8 Posted 04 February 2017 - 10:19 PM

Airman Basic

• 3279 battles
  • [-DOW-] -DOW-

View PostFlakValleyExpress, on 04 February 2017 - 10:10 PM, said:

I found something here:

http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/93191-support-%E2%80%93-weird-keyboard-problems-corsair-k95-keyboard-and-other-related-matters-pt1/page__pid__2277007#entry2277007

If the joystick is running on a USB port, check if the USB ports are going asleep. Windows could be turning them off for power management. Turn the port timeouts off and give that a try. It wouldn't hurt to try it.

Thanks, I was trying something similar, but with the HID's, not the USB ports themselves. I'll give it a try.

First2Fight_Last2Fall #9 Posted 05 February 2017 - 01:42 AM

Airman Basic

• 3279 battles
  • [-DOW-] -DOW-

Thanks for all the tips! I appreciate the time you all took to lend a hand. :)

I think changing the Power Management of USB ports to stay on did the trick. It has been six battles plus a lot of alt-tabbing to other windows, which I thought might have been the cause, and so far, so good.

Chuck_norris10 #10 Posted 05 February 2017 - 09:21 PM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 20961 battles
  • [300SP] 300SP

View PostClaudio67, on 04 February 2017 - 01:01 PM, said:

If the joystick gets unplugged during game, it will not work again until the game is restarted, also if you start the game with the joystick unplugged and after you plug it in it won't be recognized by the game.

If you can't see the joystick in the Windows Device Manager then probably is a hardware fail, either in the joystick (loose contacts, wires) or in the USB port. Try connecting in another port and taking off other USB devices thet you'll not be using. If it's a desktop PC, try using the ports in the back, those directly attached to the mainboard.

I have unplugged and replugged and it still worked and my joystick is not in device manager or sound,vid controllers but in my Logitech software that came with the stick,I fixed mine by driver updating.

p.m.

Claudio67 #11 Posted 06 February 2017 - 12:55 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Open Beta Tester
  • 15390 battles

View PostChuck_norris10, on 05 February 2017 - 06:21 PM, said:

I have unplugged and replugged and it still worked and my joystick is not in device manager or sound,vid controllers but in my Logitech software that came with the stick,I fixed mine by driver updating.

Well, I have the jostick always connected, but I remember from other times my son unplugged it because it "hijacked" the XBox controller he uses for other games and then me starting WoWp and plugging the js after didn't work. I have never installed or update drivers, Windows recognizes it and uses those included and works ok in this game and Takes no skill 1946, sorry, IL-2 1946 (Thrustmaster T.16000M)

Chuck_norris10 #12 Posted 06 February 2017 - 02:03 AM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 20961 battles
  • [300SP] 300SP

View PostClaudio67, on 05 February 2017 - 05:55 PM, said:

Well, I have the jostick always connected, but I remember from other times my son unplugged it because it "hijacked" the XBox controller he uses for other games and then me starting WoWp and plugging the js after didn't work. I have never installed or update drivers, Windows recognizes it and uses those included and works ok in this game and Takes no skill 1946, sorry, IL-2 1946 (Thrustmaster T.16000M)

I did try my thrustmaster for a couple matches but have my Logitech set up nice so may try later. My hotas is more for a ps3 so when switching back I had to make sure it was my wingman showing in the drop down menu and not the ps3 game controller. I found it unusuall no sticks show up in device manager for me on win7 as they always did before but I think it's because it runs off the Logitech program/profiler that came with my last stick. I do know when I lost functions a quick unplug and replug fixed it even while flying. 

RedSpartacus #13 Posted 06 February 2017 - 12:40 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 17318 battles
  • [GW__S] GW__S

View PostBrushWolf, on 04 February 2017 - 03:17 PM, said:

It sound like the OP is having the same issue I occasionally have. I lose aleron, rudder, and elevator and nothing will bring them back within the match. It is completely random and I have no clue about haw to fix it or even what is causing it.

I've experienced the same. Try the following, while in game, go to settings, switch to mouse, click apply, switch to joystick and apply again.
  RUN WITH THE PACK

BrushWolf #14 Posted 06 February 2017 - 02:55 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 10764 battles
  • [GWG] GWG

View PostFlakValleyExpress, on 04 February 2017 - 04:10 PM, said:

I found something here:

When this happens to me I still have throttle, flaps, and weapons.

View PostRedSpartacus, on 06 February 2017 - 06:40 AM, said:

I've experienced the same. Try the following, while in game, go to settings, switch to mouse, click apply, switch to joystick and apply again.

I have tried that with no luck. Everything is fine once I get back to the hanger. It doesn't happen very often, maybe once per session but it is irritating as hell when it does.

“The church is near but the road is icy, the tavern is far away but I will walk carefully”

Russian Proverb

First2Fight_Last2Fall #15 Posted 06 February 2017 - 05:59 PM

Airman Basic

• 3279 battles
  • [-DOW-] -DOW-

Well, after a good run of  10 or so normal battles I did some team training and sure enough, after one battle my controls went out. Good thing I am still habitually going to settings to do a signal test before starting a battle.

losttwo #16 Posted 06 February 2017 - 11:09 PM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 29924 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G
going on 3rd day and still can't come up with a joke for this one.

7thArmoredCavalry #17 Posted 07 February 2017 - 11:08 PM

Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 5465 battles
  • [GWG] GWG
I don't know if this would have anything to do with it....but my stick recently locked up on me. I found that I was in the middle of sending a message via the text Team/All in game that I didn't finish sending. Once I hit the ESC key......I had my stick back.

First2Fight_Last2Fall #18 Posted 08 February 2017 - 01:06 AM

Airman Basic

• 3279 battles
  • [-DOW-] -DOW-

View Post7thArmoredCavalry, on 07 February 2017 - 11:08 PM, said:

I don't know if this would have anything to do with it....but my stick recently locked up on me. I found that I was in the middle of sending a message via the text Team/All in game that I didn't finish sending. Once I hit the ESC key......I had my stick back.

No, I have run into that too. The loss of signal is intermittent and unpredictable. I thought it might have been all sorts of things, but after eliminating as many variables as I could, it still happens. Last night I lost the signal after one battle, so I just logged out in disgust. 

Bobby_Tables #19 Posted 08 February 2017 - 02:11 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 23827 battles
  • [WHAWK] WHAWK

I had this same or a very similar issue back in like 1.6 or 1.7 or something.  I kept having to unplug it from the USB port and then plug it back in and had to do it again and again and again. In some cases mid battle.  

I tried a total reset of Windows (I refused to reinstall for the game) with no success.  I think either a game upgrade or me upgrading to Windows 10 solved the issue finally.  I use a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro but I do not use any Logitech joystick software on my computer.  I let Windows handle the joystick interface and that seems to work well for me.  My only gripe is lately the bomb button that I set up works intermittently (and sometimes drops multiple bombs when I only press it once) so I have been using the "b" key on my keyboard when flying a GA. 

I know this is probably not much help, but at least you know someone understands and cares.  Well... truth be told, I don't care all that much compared to real life issues, but you have my sympathy. 

BrushWolf #20 Posted 10 February 2017 - 03:44 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 10764 battles
  • [GWG] GWG

View Postlosttwo, on 06 February 2017 - 05:09 PM, said:

going on 3rd day and still can't come up with a joke for this one.

Three days and no joke? You are slipping badly Lost.

Russian Proverb

Also tagged with hardware, bug., bugs, controls

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users