How to choose 1st target

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

RRandy87 #21 Posted 04 February 2017 - 11:05 PM

Master Sergeant

• 905 battles

Ok, as a fellow noob, (actually a "newer noob" --- only about 200 battles so far) here's, more-or-less, my approach. First, the disclaimers: I only fly tier 1 planes and 75% of the time I'm in a Boeing P12--- so turning is my main advantage over almost everyone.

Basically there are 2 scenarios for me. 1) I'm in a battle against all other tier 1 planes, or 2) There are a couple tier 2 planes mixed in.

Either way, the first step is for me to try to identify the human players on both teams. I don't use Hryunomod, so I'm just strictly looking at their names. (I WOULD use the mod--- but I'm "computer-stupid" so I'm pretty much clueless on that kind of stuff). Regardless, all the humans that I can identify go to the top of the list as far as whom I'm looking to engage with. Bots are easy at this level so no worries about them.

While I'm trying to identify the human players, anyone with clan/squadron indicators in their name is instantly moved to the top of the list as far as players I need to be aware of. Without Hyrunomod I can't tell if they are actually good or not, but the simple act of joining a clan tells me that they are at least a little more serious about the game than most at this level.

After identifying the human players things are a little different depending upon if I'm fighting all other tier 1 planes, or if there are some tier 2's mixed in.

If I'm against all tier 1s its easier. I pretty much engage the first human I can find. What plane they are flying doesn't matter to me as far as actually engaging them, it just changes the strategy I plan to use once I find them. Altitude doesn't matter either. I'll go either up as high as I can or down to scraping the treetops to engage them. I just want the human opponents gone as quickly as possible. Again, if there is a self-identified clan guy out there, I'm looking for him first unless another human player just makes himself too easy of a target.

If I'm against a couple tier 2 planes things are more complicated. First thing I do is try to find my tier 2 guys. I'm going to attempt to coordinate with them as well as I can with no communication. This means as soon as I get control of my plane at the beginning of the battle I'm heading straight for them. Hopefully they are aware and realize I'm looking to team-up. Next (whether they are aware or not) I'm going to do my best to function as their unofficial wing man until or unless they give me reason not to.

Almost without exception the biggest threat to our team in a case of mixed tier1 and tier2 planes is going to be the enemy tier 2 guys. Ideally my tier 2 teammates are hunting these guys out. I'm there to help since removing the strongest enemy planes first is, imo, the surest way to increase our chances of victory. Since my tier 2 guys' planes are usually far superior to mine I typically wait for them to engage first and focus on keeping other enemy planes off of them. Or if there are no other enemy planes around I try to maneuver to get myself in position to help speed up the kill on the first enemy tier 2 guy.

If I'm paired with someone flying a tier 2 plane who seems to be clueless and goes after the enemy ground attack planes first, or even the ships/ land-based artillery etc (it happens). I just kind-of grit my teeth and realize its going to be a difficult situation for me. In this situation my response really just depends upon my mood (less than ideal situation, I know). I'll either seek out the enemy tier 2 by myself and look to engage realizing that he is in a superior plane in almost every respect and that unless he just isn't very good (or makes some horrible mistakes) I'm likely done for pretty quickly. Alternatively I'll try to hang back and wait for the enemy tier 2 guy to engage with someone else and try to get in position to at least get on his 6 before engaging. Many tier 2 planes can out-turn me and pretty much all out power me so this at least gives me a short time to engage and maybe get a couple lucky shots in before he turns his attention to me.

So, long story short(er).... Human enemies get priority. Among them clan guys and guys in higher tier planes than mine move to the top of the list. Team-up with my guys flying higher tier planes when possible and follow their lead unless they are clearly clueless.

TenkouKuugen #22 Posted 05 February 2017 - 12:59 AM

Senior Airman

• 2872 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

View Postmullyman, on 04 February 2017 - 04:00 PM, said:

​Delete the 1.8.0 folder and rename the 1.7.0 folder to 1.8.0.    It's a glitch in the 1.8.0 version

Thanks, that worked like a charm!

BrushWolf #23 Posted 06 February 2017 - 02:50 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 10764 battles
  • [GWG] GWG

View Postlosttwo, on 04 February 2017 - 10:45 AM, said:

except for losttwo, he never flies well and his bots always win all his matches for him. ...:hiding:

Well, you always lost. :P

I used to have a handle on life until it broke off.

“The church is near but the road is icy, the tavern is far away but I will walk carefully”

Russian Proverb

losttwo #24 Posted 06 February 2017 - 11:11 PM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 29924 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

How to choose first target.

the red one in the air.

Save the green ones till last.

BrushWolf #25 Posted 07 February 2017 - 04:59 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 10764 battles
  • [GWG] GWG
Actually the best way to learn this would be to watch videos from the better players to see what they are doing at the beginning. The Trial by Magus: Pilot Academy videos would probably be the best place to start although I don't know if he covers that specifically. http://forum.worldofwarplanes.com/index.php?/topic/46906-trial-by-magus-pilot-academy-guide-collection/

I used to have a handle on life until it broke off.

“The church is near but the road is icy, the tavern is far away but I will walk carefully”

Russian Proverb

TenkouKuugen #26 Posted 09 February 2017 - 11:13 AM

Senior Airman

• 2872 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

Just wanna give an update: I've been analysing replays with hryunomod (can't believe it works in retrospec too!).  Turns out that I was just picked out by human players (I'll take that as a compliment), so I've made a few adjustments to my play style and now I'm getting more wins.

Thanks again everyone for your input!

Omega_Weapon #27 Posted 09 February 2017 - 06:21 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 10814 battles
  • [GRIEF] GRIEF

View PostTenkouKuugen, on 09 February 2017 - 06:13 AM, said:

Just wanna give an update: I've been analysing replays with hryunomod (can't believe it works in retrospec too!).  Turns out that I was just picked out by human players (I'll take that as a compliment), so I've made a few adjustments to my play style and now I'm getting more wins.

​Glad to hear it. Remember if you are flying Zero's a lot that also puts a target marker on your back. Their combination of maneuverability and firepower make them a serious threat, while their low HPs make them quick kill if you can get some good shots into them. Experienced pilots know leaving enemy Zero's alive too long is asking for trouble. Cheers.

RRandy87 #28 Posted 09 February 2017 - 06:40 PM

Master Sergeant

• 905 battles

View PostTenkouKuugen, on 09 February 2017 - 11:13 AM, said:

Glad to hear things are looking up. As I said in my earlier post I always target the human players first. I don't use hyrunomod, but I just assume other human players are doing the same to me. Seems like standard procedure in this game since, usually, a human opponent will be the most dangerous so they should be the first to go.

CruzANDBruz #29 Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:58 PM

Master Sergeant

• 6273 battles

View PostTenkouKuugen, on 04 February 2017 - 12:26 AM, said:

My folder looks like this (refer to the attachment).

I extracted the zip file into game folder as instructed, but nothing in game has changed.  I went into /hryunomod and there's no hryunomod.cfg either.  Tried manually creating the file and copy paste the code from russian website, didn't work orz

Did you ever get Hryunomod to work? I'm not sure it works for 1.9.0 versions and beyond. I too used the Russian website link; unzipped to the res_mod folder; unzipped and manually dropped files into

the res_mod folder; renamed the 1.7.0 folder to 1.8.0; tried to install using the LMVP installer, but got "file not found errors".

Still no Hryunomod. I finally gave up trying to figure it out. 

Psicko23 #30 Posted 02 April 2017 - 02:41 PM

First Lieutenant

• 18880 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-

View PostCruzANDBruz, on 20 March 2017 - 12:58 PM, said:

Did you ever get Hryunomod to work? I'm not sure it works for 1.9.0 versions and beyond. I too used the Russian website link; unzipped to the res_mod folder; unzipped and manually dropped files into

the res_mod folder; renamed the 1.7.0 folder to 1.8.0; tried to install using the LMVP installer, but got "file not found errors".

Still no Hryunomod. I finally gave up trying to figure it out. 

hyrunomod should work. It worked for me when I last played in December or so. I think the game is in 1.9.9, not 1.8. Try renaming the folder to proper version, if that doesn't work, delete all those folders in that folder that holds hyunomod and download from scratch. 

Omega_Weapon #31 Posted 03 April 2017 - 01:42 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 10814 battles
  • [GRIEF] GRIEF

View PostPsicko23, on 02 April 2017 - 09:41 AM, said:

hyrunomod should work. It worked for me when I last played in December or so. I think the game is in 1.9.9, not 1.8. Try renaming the folder to proper version, if that doesn't work, delete all those folders in that folder that holds hyunomod and download from scratch. 

​I have it working currently. Just need to go into the folder for 1.9.7 (last update for Hryunomod), copy it and paste it into the empty res folder for 1.9.9.

Cowboyhiho #32 Posted 03 April 2017 - 06:28 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 21412 battles

The zero line is fun and challenging, the tier 4 Zero is my favorite plane to fly. It is a slow, fast turning, highly flammable paper kite. I am a average pilot. Here are my rules of thumb for this plane, so consider the source:

Start by climbing as high as possible, be at end of pack.

Flaps and throttle will make plane this dance. (Don't fear 0% throttle)

It is rarely a good idea to climb into an attack.

I try to find a target that is off on its own (not a GA).

If attacked, out turn your opponent with the trend going down hill to keep momentum up.

Keep your eye on the radar always (I keep mine on smallest radius)

Good luck and have fun.  hiho

:kamikaze:

gerr22 #33 Posted 05 April 2017 - 12:15 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 14871 battles
  • [17SQ] 17SQ

or look up pidgeon pak a very good mod pak 

o also has nice aircraft skins if you like that type of thing

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users