How to choose 1st target

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

TenkouKuugen #1 Posted 04 February 2017 - 12:51 AM

Senior Airman

• 2872 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

Hi all!  New player here (600 battles) and I need help with a not so obvious question (for me): how do you pick the 1st target into a fight?

I play mostly Tier I-IV and I notice that a good portion of players on my team simply don't climb when battle starts.  When I play fighters I try to climb till my altimeter hits dark green (wihile keeping speed in the bright green).  Very occasionally I notice 1-2 teammates at the same altitude (or higher) as myself.

The problem is that once the 1st enemy plane is spotted (usually a GAA), half of my team dive into it and very few of us are left to face with the rest of enemies, and I face a dilemma: if I dive to chase the next few planes showing up, the rest of his team will jump me; while if I choose to maintain altitude (since I know there's more behind the first few planes), someone below turn to shoot me while his teammates at high altitude sandwich me head-on.  Either scenario I have to dance with 4-5 enemies and I don't have the skills to come out alive yet.  When that happens I opt to drag them to sea level before I die and hope it gives my teammates some sort of advantage, but it almost always ends in defeat.

I find that if I turn around when the 1st high altitude plane is spotted (unless they all dive first), I'll have a easier time shooting them from behind, but the game will rely on how long my teammates at low altitude can hold out (either team melt-down or already no enemies left).  The win rate is similar to the scenario where I dive at the 1st low altitude target and leave my ceiling open to attack.

Was I wrong to climb?  So how do you choose the 1st target in a random game?  Thanks in advance!

P.S. How do I distinguish who's bot?

PhoinexFire #2 Posted 04 February 2017 - 12:58 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 9130 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

Get the ones closest and biggest a threat to you. It depends on the plane you're in. I'd also advise you f2ing targets for your bots to hit. It makes it a lot easier! :rolleyes:

TenkouKuugen #3 Posted 04 February 2017 - 01:11 AM

Senior Airman

• 2872 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

Wow thanks for the quick response!

I play a lot of fighters (Japanese) and some GAA.  I've only got my hand on a heavy fighter 2 days ago.

Yeah I normally pick the closest target to me, but he doesn't die quick enough and the situation worsens at time ticks by.  This is how I follow up (in a Japanese fighter, say A5M), please shed some light in what I could've done better:

• If he dives, I dive (since I know there's a swarm behind him still).
  • If we get into a turn fight and his high altitude teammates are nearby (while my teammates are below), I dive.
  • If we're alone in a turn fight, I stall for time and F7.

PhoinexFire #4 Posted 04 February 2017 - 01:23 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 9130 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostTenkouKuugen, on 03 February 2017 - 08:11 PM, said:

Wow thanks for the quick response!

I play a lot of fighters (Japanese) and some GAA.  I've only got my hand on a heavy fighter 2 days ago.

Yeah I normally pick the closest target to me, but he doesn't die quick enough and the situation worsens at time ticks by.  This is how I follow up (in a Japanese fighter, say A5M), please shed some light in what I could've done better:

• If he dives, I dive (since I know there's a swarm behind him still).
  • If we get into a turn fight and his high altitude teammates are nearby (while my teammates are below), I dive.
  • If we're alone in a turn fight, I stall for time and F7.

I'd recommend checking out this guy's videos:  https://www.youtube..../koboldking001 

For the most part, stay with your team mates. :)

TenkouKuugen #5 Posted 04 February 2017 - 01:27 AM

Senior Airman

• 2872 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

Thanks, I'll check it out!

Oh he plays KanColle too? lol

losttwo #6 Posted 04 February 2017 - 01:28 AM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 29924 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

Picking first target ?

Pick the highest one.

Do not rush to be the first one in front of the pack.

Work top down.

If you can get everyone else engaged then it leaves you in a position to clear tails.

Lethalhavoc #7 Posted 04 February 2017 - 01:44 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2972 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS
When it comes down to picking 2 equal targets I always kill the plane that can out turn me.

Psicko23 #8 Posted 04 February 2017 - 02:25 AM

First Lieutenant

• 19607 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-

When you say you play mostly Japanese planes, do you play the army line or the zero line? Those two lines are played somewhat differently. Both lines are very maneuverable, the big difference is altitude. The Army line has a higher altitude ceiling than the zero line. 

Regardless of plane(ga exempt) you should be climbing at the start of the battle. You should go after the higher plane that is nearest you. If your planes dive, stay up a bit until all the enemy planes drop. Circle back a bit if you need to. You need to have your head on a swivel and pay attention to any planes that might be coming after you from below. A good pilot on the other side will also stay up. Kill any planes that are in your range and keep your altitude advantage. Do some boom and zoom in the planes that try to get back up to you. Clear tails as best as you can, the quicker you kill enemy planes and save your own the better advantage you will have. Once you have a three or four plane advantage over the enemy, the better your chances of winning are on your side. 

Oh, bots all have a singular name and the names are tied with the nationality of the plane.bots do not have any special characters in their name. For example, a bot in a japanese plane will be named something like Tanaka or Honda. A bot in a German plane will be named Gottfried or Beppo. 

Losttwo has some good tips too.

Edited by Psicko23, 04 February 2017 - 02:37 AM.

Omega_Weapon #9 Posted 04 February 2017 - 03:14 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 10814 battles
  • [GRIEF] GRIEF

View PostTenkouKuugen, on 03 February 2017 - 07:51 PM, said:

Hi all!  New player here (600 battles) and I need help with a not so obvious question (for me): how do you pick the 1st target into a fight?

​Here is how I prioritize targets. Generally the first priority is highly skilled human pilots. I use Hryunomod and it lets me see who the most dangerous opponents are. Second priority is higher skill bots (S or V rating). Third comes the lower skilled human pilots and last is the low skill bots. Altitude matters so its good to win the fights high up before you start engaging lower altitude prey. I often adjust my priorities based on plane types as well. I'm always eager to eliminate enemy heavies and any plane that will out-maneuver mine. Opportunity takes precedence over everything else though. If any plane happens to make itself a prime target by stalling out or getting fixated on attacking a nearby ally, I will instantly switch gears and take advantage of the golden opportunity. That's the theory I approach battles with, but when the sh!t hits the fan it sometimes becomes a little more random than all that.

TenkouKuugen #10 Posted 04 February 2017 - 04:06 AM

Senior Airman

• 2872 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

@losttwo: When I try to aim at the highest enemy near me, often I'm targeted by someone else 200-300m below from side/behind.  Come to think of it, although I try to stay in the group on Minimap, I may be isolated in terms of altitude.  I guess if most of my teammates don't climb, I should not either.

@Lethalhavoc: What do you do if your top speed is only marginally better than the turn opponent?  When facing an opponent like that I always end up bleeding slowly in a turn fight, since out running isn't an option and I couldn't kill him in the 1st pass.

@Psicko23: Zero line, I don't have enough hanger slot for Ki yet :(

I find it hard to look below while flying, need more practise I guess.

Rekt, I should've picked a generic ID lol

@Omega_Weapon: I just downloaded hryunomod but can't get it to work for some reason.  Thanks for the tips still :)

Psicko23 #11 Posted 04 February 2017 - 04:26 AM

First Lieutenant

• 19607 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-

There is a way to cycle through the enemy planes to get them to show up in that little box on the lower left side of the screen. This allows you to keep an eye on the planes nearby when you are shooting the enemy plane, but has a distinct disadvantage because you won't have a reticle to help guide your bullets to the enemy you are shooting. Another thing that just occurred to me. Do you have your radar enabled? If so, keep an eye on that too see if enemies are coming at you. If not, you need to enable the radar by going into game settings. 

As far as hryunomod goes, you need to extract/unzip the hyrunomod files to the world of warplanes folder. That's all.

Psicko23 #12 Posted 04 February 2017 - 04:28 AM

First Lieutenant

• 19607 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-
The zero line is probably the hardest line to play well. It's too fragile and you have to be able to avoid the bullets before they are firing at you. 

Lucky_Loki #13 Posted 04 February 2017 - 05:25 AM

Master Sergeant

• 7961 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-

Before you ask this question, you need to really know about the plane you are flying. PLUS, general performance of all other enemy planes. Take a look at the plane stat, get familiar with them, then you will have a better idea of which target you should take down first. 

eg. If you are flying a yak, take down the jap planes when you get a chance. Then no more alive enemies can out-turn you(theoretically), this gives you a maneuverability advantage of the battle.

Keep investigating...

TenkouKuugen #14 Posted 04 February 2017 - 05:26 AM

Senior Airman

• 2872 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

My folder looks like this (refer to the attachment).

I extracted the zip file into game folder as instructed, but nothing in game has changed.  I went into /hryunomod and there's no hryunomod.cfg either.  Tried manually creating the file and copy paste the code from russian website, didn't work orz

Attached Thumbnails

losttwo #15 Posted 04 February 2017 - 05:40 AM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 29924 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

View PostTenkouKuugen, on 03 February 2017 - 11:06 PM, said:

@losttwo: When I try to aim at the highest enemy near me, often I'm targeted by someone else 200-300m below from side/behind.  Come to think of it, although I try to stay in the group on Minimap, I may be isolated in terms of altitude.  I guess if most of my teammates don't climb, I should not either.

That is where situational awareness and command keys come into play.

Like wise if you are in the back of the pack. You will have time to select your targets.

Using your " next target " key will allow you to see what the enemy planes are doing.

If you see one climbing to engage you then either " clear my tail " coordinate attack " or kill it yourself.

@Lethalhavoc: What do you do if your top speed is only marginally better than the turn opponent?  When facing an opponent like that I always end up bleeding slowly in a turn fight, since out running isn't an option and I couldn't kill him in the 1st pass.

Try flying away from your target a little further rather than turn. Enemy will bleed speed trying to turn to engage.

@Psicko23: Zero line, I don't have enough hanger slot for Ki yet :(

I find it hard to look below while flying, need more practise I guess.

Rekt, I should've picked a generic ID lol

Situational awareness will improve in time

@Omega_Weapon: I just downloaded hryunomod but can't get it to work for some reason.  Thanks for the tips still :)

I do not use any mods

Here is a link to a recent video. Just after the opening and the enemy arrives you will see me looking for a target.

I also have over 100 video's in my YouTube channel as well as links to other " BETTER " players.

http://forum.worldofwarplanes.com/index.php?/topic/48158-mr-polikarpov-drum-solo-please/page__fromsearch__1

CrayoIaCrayon #16 Posted 04 February 2017 - 11:45 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 15815 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
You should not worry about what players' stats are or the bots either.  You should look at battles as a cake layer and work your way top down.  Past that, it comes down to the planes that can outperform yours, players or bots either one.  Don't let mods distract you from the real issue, which is what planes outperform yours in all regards regardless of pilot.  It's like taking a 410 in tier 6 and seeing a 38j.  It doesn't matter if it's a player or bot, you want that plane dead because it out turns you and out runs you.

Undefeated 1st place, Clantastrophy tournament

Air Raid 6  3rd place,  Air Raid 7  2nd place, Air Raid 8 1st place

MARS_REVENANT #17 Posted 04 February 2017 - 03:39 PM

Major

• 34261 battles
  • [SICK] SICK

View PostJetway, on 04 February 2017 - 06:45 AM, said:

You should not worry about what players' stats are or the bots either.  You should look at battles as a cake layer and work your way top down.  Past that, it comes down to the planes that can outperform yours, players or bots either one.  Don't let mods distract you from the real issue, which is what planes outperform yours in all regards regardless of pilot.  It's like taking a 410 in tier 6 and seeing a 38j.  It doesn't matter if it's a player or bot, you want that plane dead because it out turns you and out runs you.

Yep... And in most cases the bots are more dangerous than a live player in the same plane, as they have better energy management and higher accuracy.

I never lose; either I win or I learn.

mullyman #18 Posted 04 February 2017 - 04:00 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 27764 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

View PostTenkouKuugen, on 04 February 2017 - 01:26 AM, said:

My folder looks like this (refer to the attachment).

I extracted the zip file into game folder as instructed, but nothing in game has changed.  I went into /hryunomod and there's no hryunomod.cfg either.  Tried manually creating the file and copy paste the code from russian website, didn't work orz

​Delete the 1.8.0 folder and rename the 1.7.0 folder to 1.8.0.    It's a glitch in the 1.8.0 version
mullyman.png

BrushWolf #19 Posted 04 February 2017 - 04:34 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 10781 battles
  • [GWG] GWG

View Postlosttwo, on 03 February 2017 - 07:28 PM, said:

Picking first target ?

Pick the highest one.

Do not rush to be the first one in front of the pack.

Work top down.

If you can get everyone else engaged then it leaves you in a position to clear tails.

Adding to this, humans are more dangerous than bots, the bots are predictable while even the worst human might have a moment of inspiration and fly well above what you would expect from them.

I used to have a handle on life until it broke off.

“The church is near but the road is icy, the tavern is far away but I will walk carefully”

Russian Proverb

losttwo #20 Posted 04 February 2017 - 04:45 PM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 29924 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

View PostBrushWolf, on 04 February 2017 - 11:34 AM, said:

Adding to this, humans are more dangerous than bots, the bots are predictable while even the worst human might have a moment of inspiration and fly well above what you would expect from them.

except for losttwo, he never flies well and his bots always win all his matches for him. ...:hiding:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users