What's wrong with liking biplanes?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

losttwo #21 Posted 30 January 2017 - 08:56 AM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 29924 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

Sort of like in these video's from this brother.

http://forum.worldofwarplanes.com/index.php?/topic/35248-merry-christmas/page__p__500996__hl__+marsoc#entry500996

gerr22 #22 Posted 30 January 2017 - 12:18 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 13969 battles
  • [17SQ] 17SQ
THEMARCO you are a star in the words you say there may be hope for this game yet

Yagos2k16 #23 Posted 30 January 2017 - 09:08 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 19411 battles
  • [GW__S] GW__S
Fly what makes you happy, F what people say, fly what you want when you want. If someone has a problem with that then they need to figure out how to deal with it.

spider_x #24 Posted 30 January 2017 - 09:54 PM

Master Sergeant

• 1990 battles
And if we all played something like just tiers 3 thru 5 we could eliminate bots and return this game to some semblance of an actual MMO worth playing again ... 

losttwo #25 Posted 30 January 2017 - 10:08 PM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 29924 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

View Postspider_x, on 30 January 2017 - 04:54 PM, said:

And if we all played something like just tiers 3 thru 5 we could eliminate bots and return this game to some semblance of an actual MMO worth playing again ... 

Actually. believe it or not. WG could restrict everyone to a single tier and it would still not solve the problem.

While there maybe 250 people logged into the game. How many of those click the battle button nearly at the same time,

There may be 20 people playing the same tier range as you but the matches drop in such a way that there could be 3 matches going at the same time,

While they start a match with 8 humans and 7 bots. another match could be 3 human and 7 bots while you end up with 8 bots  for your match.

And you even waited the longest to get that match.

spider_x #26 Posted 31 January 2017 - 12:00 AM

Master Sergeant

• 1990 battles

300 concurrent players

one tier only

gameplay: 15 vs 15 players

10 matches ongoing

game reborn

vodka shots ftw

cddlbunny0 #27 Posted 31 January 2017 - 04:15 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 3213 battles
There is nothing wrong with biplanes. Just keep in mind that you get anniversary missions at three, six, nine months and one year. The longer that you have the plane, the more missions in the anniversary packet for that plane. Right now I have a number of them going of which a great majority are biplanes. Still trying to get the seventh on the I-7. Anyway, welcome to the asylum, the inmates fly whatever makes whatever them happy, stay away from the sedatives until you really need them and join the party,

Edited by cddlbunny0, 31 January 2017 - 04:38 AM.

Getting_too_old_for_this #28 Posted 08 February 2017 - 02:04 PM

Airman Basic

• 45 battles
  • [A-D-X] A-D-X

I agree with EpicFlash & co -- but the item that is being missed isn't just flying bi-planes, but WHERE are those planes from WWI?? It seems like WoWP is off doing "cool stuff" with jets and experimentals and forgetting that for most of us (old-farts) the real love was all those magnificent men and their flying machines... Lets get back to the basics and let us have our real dog fights...

And for those seal clubbers -- guess what in real life those Aces of yesteryear didn't go after the top guns - easy kills are easy kills... That is why they went after so many balloons...

Cheers! 

Cheers

Bubba_Zanetti #29 Posted 09 February 2017 - 08:28 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 28036 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostMD_[edited], on 08 February 2017 - 09:04 AM, said:

I agree with EpicFlash & co -- but the item that is being missed isn't just flying bi-planes, but WHERE are those planes from WWI?? It seems like WoWP is off doing "cool stuff" with jets and experimentals and forgetting that for most of us (old-farts) the real love was all those magnificent men and their flying machines... Lets get back to the basics and let us have our real dog fights...

And for those seal clubbers -- guess what in real life those Aces of yesteryear didn't go after the top guns - easy kills are easy kills... That is why they went after so many balloons...

Cheers! 

Most likely not going to happen here.  Maybe look into this if you're a WW I fan:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/madottergames/red-baron

EpicFlash76 #30 Posted 09 February 2017 - 02:06 PM

Senior Airman

• 2714 battles
I'm pretty happy with the admittedly limited selection of biplanes in the game.  I can't imagine that they would add more in the future, but that would be awesome.  But can a brother get some new Tier 1 maps???  If I have to see that Harbor map one more time...

Zapperguy #31 Posted 09 February 2017 - 04:10 PM

First Lieutenant

• -Community Ace-
  • 32630 battles
  • [CLOWN] CLOWN

View PostEpicFlash76, on 09 February 2017 - 09:06 AM, said:

I'm pretty happy with the admittedly limited selection of biplanes in the game.  I can't imagine that they would add more in the future, but that would be awesome.  But can a brother get some new Tier 1 maps???  If I have to see that Harbor map one more time...

While I agree with the above sentiments regarding "fly whatever plane that makes you happy", tier 1 wasn't envisioned by WG as a place people would linger. Tier 1 already has helmeted, short-bus-riding bots compared to any other tier.

To add more content at the entry point of the game would encourage more vets to stay there which is akin to camping at a spawn point in a FPS. Higher tier battles would suffer.

WG forces their vision by changing the game to push players into a different play-style, tier, or plane type that fits that vision. A few examples below.

• You can only earn tokens through daily missions if you own at least a tier 8. 
  • Most events require a tier 4 plane or higher to qualify.
  • Altitude bands for various plane types (they didn't always exist).
  • Removing ordnance from planes to force them into different lines than they were originally.
  • Making economy changes such that Fighters receive very little reward for GTs, and Attack planes get little for air kills. (WG trying to force planes into the roles they want them to have in game)

I don't believe WG will ever add new tier 1 maps. You have more experience at this point. You could dabble outside the kiddie pool and still have biplanes through tier 4. The maps would change and the competition would get a little stiffer with all 4 plane types facing you in every battle. You don't have to play higher tiers, but tier 1 is uber-nerfed. It's a bit like a 20 year old who remains in kindergarten because he really likes the finger painting, but complains that the chairs are too small. I fly my Ar65 regularly for my x2 and then move on. I can appreciate the joy you have flying those twitchy little planes, but I wouldn't look to WG to improve the "experienced player tier 1 experience".

:honoring:

'Customize Your Carousel' thread - LINK

Custom skins for I-16(L), LBSh, & IL-20 - LINK

RRandy87 #32 Posted 09 February 2017 - 06:29 PM

Master Sergeant

• 905 battles

View PostMD_[edited], on 08 February 2017 - 02:04 PM, said:

Cheers! 

100% YES. All of it. Wood and cloth, THAT'S the way man was meant to fly.

Epic, I feel your pain about the limited maps brother. Doesn't seem like it would be difficult at all to adapt some already existing higher tier maps to tier 1, but will likely never happen.

Zapper, you are, unfortunately, dead-on in your assessment of the situation. It's just unfortunate that there is a disconnect between my (and a few others') main interests and WGs plans for this game. And, their strategy works--- to a point. Right now I've decided to do the Chasing the Mosquito event even though its pretty far outside my interests and skill level. I'm sure I'll do others as well. But, when I fly purely for fun I'm right back at tier 1. Regarding the nerfed bots..... my question is .... why? Bring on some tougher bot competition if that's the best we can do at tier 1. I know, I know, not practical for the very inexperienced, but I have less than 400 flights so its not like I've been there forever and I'd definitely welcome a sterner test at tier 1 if it were available.

Haven't checked your link yet, Bubba, but will do so.

Also, I downloaded but haven't tried yet a game called "Rise of Flight". For those so inclined you may want to check that out. Be forewarned it seems much more like a sim than an arcade experience (which is why I haven't tried it yet), but it may somewhat be what some of you WW1 fans are after.

Lastly, Zapper, what's wrong with finger-painting....Lol. Seriously, I enjoy when more experienced guys dip back into the "kiddie pool". Gives me more of a challenge and it sure is fun to flame some guy with 20k flights while I have less than 400 :) Ok, ok, so the clubbers win lots of the time, too.....but not always and it sure is fun to try to take them out.

Zapperguy #33 Posted 10 February 2017 - 01:45 PM

First Lieutenant

• -Community Ace-
  • 32630 battles
  • [CLOWN] CLOWN

View PostMD_[edited], on 08 February 2017 - 09:04 AM, said:

Cheers! 

There are no WW I planes because WG's vision across all 3 titles (tanks, ships, planes) is from early WW II to the beginning of the Korean War. They don't have WW I vehicles in any of the games, and I doubt they will be adding them this far out from release.

The bots are easy at tier 1; so, new players don't get discouraged. Remember that this may be a new player's first foray into a flying game. The concept of a 3rd axis is more than some players can handle, and they struggle just trying to get control of their plane. Those are the players for whom the nerfed bots are designed. Those are also the players that can get easily frustrated if they are dead less than one minute into every battle because some vet is hanging in tier 1 padding his stats by stomping the stuffing out of them. Those new players tend to quit, not come back, and tell their friends how awful this game is. 

Happy flying!

Omega_Weapon #34 Posted 10 February 2017 - 07:06 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 10137 battles
  • [GRIEF] GRIEF

View PostZapperguy, on 10 February 2017 - 08:45 AM, said:

There are no WW I planes because WG's vision across all 3 titles (tanks, ships, planes) is from early WW II to the beginning of the Korean War. They don't have WW I vehicles in any of the games, and I doubt they will be adding them this far out from release.

​Actually WoT has the Renault FT-17 at tier 1 which entered service in 1917. So far that is the only WWI tank in the game though. As for WoWS, most of the lower tier ships are actually of WWI vintage or even pre-WWI vintage.

Edited by Omega_Weapon, 10 February 2017 - 07:08 PM.

BB3_Oregon_Steel #35 Posted 12 April 2017 - 07:25 PM

Airman Basic

• 386 battles

View PostEpicFlash76, on 29 January 2017 - 05:40 PM, said:

I'm glad to hear I'm not alone :).  I have one rarely-used T2 (F2F) and one very rarely-used T3 (F3F) but even at those levels I just don't have as much fun as with the basic vanilla biplanes.   I would LOVE it if WG went BACKWARDS on the tech tree and gave us a few WWI vintage Spads and Neuports (and Fokker Triplanes!).   Until then I'll just keep having a blast with my starter T1 planes (except the Type 91, that just looks fugly).   Say what you want about WoWP but it's the closest you will find to a WWI Red Baron simulator and that's good for me. 

I've kind of been thinking along these lines.  The bi-planes in the game start at around the late 20's and represent some of the ultimate developments of the type before monoplanes rendered them obsolete.  It would be fun to be tooling around in a Sopwith Pup, a Nieuport 17 or a Fokker Triplane but ... sitll kind of happy with what we have as well. 

I personally fly my bi-planes regularly but I'm also interested in advancing up the tech tree and learning how to fly some of the newer birds as well.  Each of them have their own unique charms and frustrations.  :)

AmericanKestrel #36 Posted 13 April 2017 - 01:54 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 19351 battles
  • [-ES-] -ES-

View PostChuck_norris10, on 29 January 2017 - 12:08 PM, said:

Fly away! I also love the bi-planes but get called a seal clubber when flying those tiers but lately I see lots of veterans down there.

Fly what ever makes you smile.

I agree with Chuck.  Flying those bi-planes is great fun.  Don't worry about those that start calling you a seal-clubber, it takes a while to fully upgrade a plane.  "Name callers" are either frustrated bad fliers or immature kids that don't realize that this is just a game.  Fly what you want and have fun !

GhostPrime #37 Posted 13 April 2017 - 04:05 PM

Community Coordinator

• Administrator
  • 1455 battles
  • [WGA-B] WGA-B

View PostBB3_Oregon_Steel, on 12 April 2017 - 11:25 AM, said:

I've kind of been thinking along these lines.  The bi-planes in the game start at around the late 20's and represent some of the ultimate developments of the type before monoplanes rendered them obsolete.  It would be fun to be tooling around in a Sopwith Pup, a Nieuport 17 or a Fokker Triplane but ... sitll kind of happy with what we have as well. 

I personally fly my bi-planes regularly but I'm also interested in advancing up the tech tree and learning how to fly some of the newer birds as well.  Each of them have their own unique charms and frustrations.  :)

They absolutely do. I too have a fondness for Bi-planes, in the game and out of the game. take your time, and learn the strengths and weaknesses of the aircraft, and enjoy flying. 

Please read the WOWP Game and Forum rules.
Forum Rules - Game Rules - EULA - TOS
Find us on Facebook!

Saeika #38 Posted 13 April 2017 - 10:22 PM

Airman Basic

• 179 battles

View PostEpicFlash76, on 29 January 2017 - 05:02 PM, said:

I know I'm new to this game but I got into it to begin with because I loved the idea of retro WWI biplane combat.   I just want to rip around at 80kph over that same damned Harbor map and plink away at other biplanes like I'm in the Great War.  But I keep hearing other players talk about how the only thing that matters is leveling up as fast as they can to Mustangs and Yaks and flying death jets with laser guns and nuclear missiles and all that (which is fine), but is there anything wrong with just wanting to keep my dinking little I-5 biplane forever?  Does anybody else enjoy the throwback 1920s open cockpit biplane theme so much that they just don't have the interest in leveling up to bigger and better fighters?  I'm not sealclubbing, because I kinda suck at this game, but I'm never coming out of Tier I :).  Biplanes forever!

I-5 wos build betwin 1931-1936 then if you won't planes from WW1 then its wrong game iwen 1920 wos after WW1 but what I expect for american education 

BB3_Oregon_Steel #39 Posted 28 April 2017 - 01:06 AM

Airman Basic

• 386 battles

View PostSaeika, on 13 April 2017 - 10:22 PM, said:

I-5 wos build betwin 1931-1936 then if you won't planes from WW1 then its wrong game iwen 1920 wos after WW1 but what I expect for american education 

And your point being?  I think he was talking about how great it would be to fly around in a bi-plane shooting things up rather than being obsessed with leveling up.  I'm pretty sure his comments had nothing to do with whether an I-5 was a WWI biplane.  

Now it's a bit difficult for me to completely understand what you are saying due to the numerous spelling issues in this post, but maybe you can go back to whatever education system spawned you and get that all cleaned up. :great:

Zapperguy #40 Posted 28 April 2017 - 02:56 AM

First Lieutenant

• -Community Ace-
  • 32630 battles
  • [CLOWN] CLOWN

View PostBB3_Oregon_Steel, on 27 April 2017 - 09:06 PM, said:

And your point being?  I think he was talking about how great it would be to fly around in a bi-plane shooting things up rather than being obsessed with leveling up.  I'm pretty sure his comments had nothing to do with whether an I-5 was a WWI biplane.  

Now it's a bit difficult for me to completely understand what you are saying due to the numerous spelling issues in this post, but maybe you can go back to whatever education system spawned you and get that all cleaned up. :great:

Not everyone here is a native English speaker. Try posting in the Russian forum and see if they correct your grammar or spelling.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users