• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

mnbv_fockewulfe #1 Posted 27 January 2017 - 03:48 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 4180 battles
  • [JACS] JACS

WqUkJUB.jpg

BfDn7bd.jpg

This just really odd to me and I don't think I've ever noticed this before.

Can anyone with a thunderbolt confirm what I'm seeing?

Dat nose

knows does doe

mnbv_fockewulfe.png

Zapperguy #2 Posted 27 January 2017 - 04:00 PM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Public Test
  • 31287 battles
  • [CLOWN] CLOWN

Weird

:amazed:

'Customize Your Carousel' thread - LINK

Custom skins for I-16(L), LBSh, & IL-20 - LINK

_Warchylde_ #3 Posted 27 January 2017 - 04:12 PM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Public Test
  • 8454 battles
  • [WHAWK] WHAWK

That's the "flapping fluke mode" for additional boost.  :trollface:

No seriously, later model Thunderstreaks replaced the elevator tabs with hydraulically actuated stabilators.

When the first production F-84F finally flew on 22 November 1952, it differed from the service test aircraft. It had a different canopy which opened up and back instead of sliding to the rear, as well as airbrakes on the sides of the fuselage instead of the bottom of the aircraft.

The aircraft was considered not ready for operational deployment due to control and stability problems. The first 275 aircraft, equipped with conventional stabilizer-elevator tailplanes, suffered from accelerated stall pitch-up and poor turning ability at combat speeds. Beginning with Block 25, the problem was ameliorated by the introduction of a hydraulically powered one-piece stabilator. A number of aircraft were also retrofitted with spoilers for improved high-speed control. As a result, the F-84F was not declared operational until 12 May 1954.   http://www.skybrary.aero/index.php/Stabilator.  

Stabilators first appeared in 3rd Gen fighters, and for the most part, are the norm on 4th Gen and 5th Gen fighters to this day.

The top picture shows the plane pitching down, while the second picture shows him pitching up. :honoring:

Edited by _Warchylde_, 27 January 2017 - 04:33 PM.

There are very few problems in this world which can not be solved

by a suitable and timely application of concentrated firepower.

"Fly High, Fly Fast, Fly Smart, and Shoot First!!"

Claudio67 #4 Posted 27 January 2017 - 04:20 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Open Beta Tester
  • 15113 battles

Just flapping, like any bird...

mnbv_fockewulfe #5 Posted 27 January 2017 - 05:18 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 4180 battles
  • [JACS] JACS
I know where that gif is going. :D

Dat nose

knows does doe

mnbv_fockewulfe.png

losttwo #6 Posted 27 January 2017 - 05:22 PM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 29924 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

View Post_Warchylde_, on 27 January 2017 - 11:12 AM, said:

That's the "flapping fluke mode" for additional boost.  :trollface:

No seriously, later model Thunderstreaks replaced the elevator tabs with hydraulically actuated stabilators.

When the first production F-84F finally flew on 22 November 1952, it differed from the service test aircraft. It had a different canopy which opened up and back instead of sliding to the rear, as well as airbrakes on the sides of the fuselage instead of the bottom of the aircraft.

The aircraft was considered not ready for operational deployment due to control and stability problems. The first 275 aircraft, equipped with conventional stabilizer-elevator tailplanes, suffered from accelerated stall pitch-up and poor turning ability at combat speeds. Beginning with Block 25, the problem was ameliorated by the introduction of a hydraulically powered one-piece stabilator. A number of aircraft were also retrofitted with spoilers for improved high-speed control. As a result, the F-84F was not declared operational until 12 May 1954.   http://www.skybrary.aero/index.php/Stabilator.  

Stabilators first appeared in 3rd Gen fighters, and for the most part, are the norm on 4th Gen and 5th Gen fighters to this day.

The top picture shows the plane pitching down, while the second picture shows him pitching up. :honoring:

Stop giving away our hacks

TeamTerrible #7 Posted 27 January 2017 - 06:27 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 43687 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

Tying a book around my tail cause you make me nervous with all that staring at it my rear end

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users