Jump to content


Anyone else think the P38G (first one) in game is trash?

Ballance planes P38

  • Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

beaver_cleaver #41 Posted 08 February 2017 - 04:57 PM

    Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 29584 battles
  • 74
  • [WHAWK] WHAWK
  • Member since:
    10-19-2013

View Post_Warchylde_, on 28 January 2017 - 12:08 PM, said:

 

Indeed.

 

My great uncle flew a P-38 L in Europe, and his squadron was a ground attack formation, hitting supply dumps, railroad yards, trains, etc. HOWEVER, they always had T-bolts or Stangs flying top cover to keep the bad guys at bay while they kicked the windows.

But that's just a historical perspective. In the game, a heavy fighter should be in the thin air, playing the raptor.

 

 

Fork Tailed Devil by Martin Caidin details the p-38 exclusively - best book on the plane ever written. At low altitude the P-38 could actually out turn a 109. It is in need of better maneuverability and I think the guns are too nerfed. My Uncle flew B-17s and the P-38 was their favorite escort fighter. Guns were devastating, no dispersion. Very fast and effective at altitude.

_Warchylde_ #42 Posted 08 February 2017 - 05:25 PM

    First Lieutenant

  • Member
  • 9191 battles
  • 2,268
  • [WHAWK] WHAWK
  • Member since:
    07-15-2014

View Postbeaver_cleaver, on 08 February 2017 - 11:57 AM, said:

 

Fork Tailed Devil by Martin Caidin details the p-38 exclusively - best book on the plane ever written. At low altitude the P-38 could actually out turn a 109. It is in need of better maneuverability and I think the guns are too nerfed. My Uncle flew B-17s and the P-38 was their favorite escort fighter. Guns were devastating, no dispersion. Very fast and effective at altitude.

My great uncle Russ once told my dad that he won a 5 pound bet with an RAF instructor, that he could turn inside a Spitfire. As the story goes, he used assymetrical thrust and a bit of prop feathering to actually turn inside a Spitfire.

Admittedly, the story is apocryphal, but my great uncle Russ was not a braggart or a glory hound, so I have to take him at his word.

Not sure I would want to throttle back one engine and feather the prop in a battle situation, but it's a cool story anyway.


There are very few problems in this world which can not be solved

by a suitable and timely application of concentrated firepower.

"Fly High, Fly Fast, Fly Smart, and Shoot First!!"


mnbv_fockewulfe #43 Posted 08 February 2017 - 10:29 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Member
  • 4278 battles
  • 1,077
  • [JACS] JACS
  • Member since:
    12-06-2013

View Postbeaver_cleaver, on 08 February 2017 - 04:57 PM, said:

 

Fork Tailed Devil by Martin Caidin details the p-38 exclusively - best book on the plane ever written. At low altitude the P-38 could actually out turn a 109. It is in need of better maneuverability and I think the guns are too nerfed. My Uncle flew B-17s and the P-38 was their favorite escort fighter. Guns were devastating, no dispersion. Very fast and effective at altitude.

 

I've heard things about the P-38 at low altitude too. Bear in mind, the 109s could have been mounting the wing gondolas which would have decreased maneuverability and there is no real way to tell the skill of pilot. Which is also a large contributing factor. I also read somewhere that you could make the P-38 turn fight at 80mph, which I thought was amazingly cool.

 

p.s. I would love this game without dispersion.


Dat nose

knows does doe

mnbv_fockewulfe.png


 


Kiwiav8r #44 Posted 09 February 2017 - 03:49 AM

    Command Chief Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 11243 battles
  • 714
  • [ACES_] ACES_
  • Member since:
    09-26-2013

View Post_Warchylde_, on 09 February 2017 - 05:25 AM, said:

My great uncle Russ once told my dad that he won a 5 pound bet with an RAF instructor, that he could turn inside a Spitfire. As the story goes, he used assymetrical thrust and a bit of prop feathering to actually turn inside a Spitfire.

Admittedly, the story is apocryphal, but my great uncle Russ was not a braggart or a glory hound, so I have to take him at his word.

Not sure I would want to throttle back one engine and feather the prop in a battle situation, but it's a cool story anyway.

 

The Spitfires lower wing loading means it should have far better sustained turn performance at lower altitudes.  At higher altitudes the advantage would swing in the Lightnings favor.  In the correct sense feathering a propeller is adjusting the pitch of the blades to the lowest possible drag position where no thrust is produced.  What I think you meant is adjusting the propeller pitch to a coarse setting to aid in the thrust asymmetry.  Rolling into a "dead" engine with a feathered prop is not for the fainthearted and certainly not something to be doing in combat.


"Credibility down, Kill Ratio up!" - Joe 'Hoser' Satrapa

Aces (pre v1.9):  Bulldog, A4N, Hawk III, F2A-1, I-16(e), Skua, Ar68, A6M1, P-36, XF4F-3, Bf-109B, Bf-110B, Bf-110 C6, Blenheim, Bf-109E, Bf-110E, P-40, P-40 M105, XFL-1, Spitfire I, M.20, Beaufighter, IL-2 (mod), XF4U-1, Mosquito, P-51A, Yak-7, Yak-1M, Bf-109F, La-5, Spitfire V, Me-410, F4U-1, Fw-190 A5, Yak-9, XP-50, P-39Q-15, Mustang Mk 1, P-38J, P-51D, Yak-9U, Bf-109G, La-7, Spitfire IX, A7M, Fw-190D, F7F, Yak-15, Me-262


_Warchylde_ #45 Posted 09 February 2017 - 12:48 PM

    First Lieutenant

  • Member
  • 9191 battles
  • 2,268
  • [WHAWK] WHAWK
  • Member since:
    07-15-2014

View PostKiwiav8r, on 08 February 2017 - 10:49 PM, said:

 

The Spitfires lower wing loading means it should have far better sustained turn performance at lower altitudes.  At higher altitudes the advantage would swing in the Lightnings favor.  In the correct sense feathering a propeller is adjusting the pitch of the blades to the lowest possible drag position where no thrust is produced.  What I think you meant is adjusting the propeller pitch to a coarse setting to aid in the thrust asymmetry.  Rolling into a "dead" engine with a feathered prop is not for the fainthearted and certainly not something to be doing in combat.

 

Agreed, admittedly, there is no supporting evidence for this war story, but remember that this bet was settled over an airfield in southern England, with no bullets flying.

There are very few problems in this world which can not be solved

by a suitable and timely application of concentrated firepower.

"Fly High, Fly Fast, Fly Smart, and Shoot First!!"


gerr22 #46 Posted 12 February 2017 - 05:08 AM

    Senior Master Sergeant

  • Member
  • 13666 battles
  • 119
  • [17SQ] 17SQ
  • Member since:
    12-27-2013
both good but i think the 410 is a shmitch better all three are still played regular





Also tagged with Ballance, planes, P38

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users