Anyone else think the P38G (first one) in game is trash?

Ballance planes P38

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

Ouroborus15 #21 Posted 28 January 2017 - 10:15 PM

Airman Basic

• 869 battles

View Postlosttwo, on 27 January 2017 - 09:44 AM, said:

My P-38F has 896 battles and is the most flown plane in my 200 plane inventory

It carries a max kill rating of 6 and 10 ground targets.

Welcome to the forums and thank you for playing WOWP.

my best suggestion for you is to come to the forums and ask the numerous amount of veterans for help rather than

posting about how lousy a plane is and that it needs a nerf or buff.

You will get trolled by so hard that it will chase you out of the game and forums.

P-38 series planes is an extremely high altitude boom and zoom plane.

If you are new at playing it DO NOT USE ROCKETS AND BOMBS.

I have yet ot see a BOT using rockets or bombs on one.

Do the best you can to stay higher than any plane in the game and attack like a bird of prey.

I have never see an EAGLE or WHAWK attack from the ground up.

I did ask for help, their advice was "Don't use the P38F, its just Spitfire target practice"  If its a high altitude plane why does it always spawn me at 500m or lower?

Edited by Ouroborus15, 28 January 2017 - 10:16 PM.

Bubba_Zanetti #22 Posted 28 January 2017 - 10:17 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 28923 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostOuroborus15, on 28 January 2017 - 05:12 PM, said:

P38J is not the one I am talking about Genius. I am talking about the one below it in tier 5 that's only real use is to be Target practice for Spitfires.

Wow...not a single thing mentioned by all of us has registered in your thick head, but someone mentions the next tier which is an extension of the previous tiers style causes you to react.  Go away noob.

losttwo #23 Posted 28 January 2017 - 10:21 PM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 29924 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

View PostOuroborus15, on 28 January 2017 - 05:15 PM, said:

I did ask for help, their advice was "Don't use the P38F, its just Spitfire target practice"  If its a high altitude plane why does it always spawn me at 500m or lower?

Then show me the post where you asked for help.

MARS_REVENANT #24 Posted 28 January 2017 - 11:03 PM

Major

• 33768 battles
  • [SICK] SICK

View PostOuroborus15, on 27 January 2017 - 12:10 AM, said:

Historically the P38 had an excellent combat record and was one of the most heavily armed fighters over Europe during its time in early WW2. It is the only aircraft to ever score a kill while in an unpowered glide (pilot detached external fuel tanks when enemy was spotted but forgot to switch to internal tanks before the enemy entered range). Yet the P38 in game is little more than a guaranteed free kill for the other team, it is slower, has lower HP, turns wider, and has fewer weapons than any other heavy fighter in the tier with comparable upgrades installed. It gets out turned by Beaufighters with full loads of rockets and all base upgrades. In a head on fight (chicken) it will ALWAYS lose to the P40 which is the plane you unlock the P38 with and is a normal fighter. That is how tinfoil this supposedly "heavy" fighter is. 

It either needs serious buffs or to be knocked down a tier, because there are tier 4s which heavily outgun it as it is, even reducing the XP cost of upgrades would be effective because other tier 5 planes have upgrades for much lower XP costs in spite of being much easier to get XP for.

Every time I use it I end up getting out turned by literally every plane in the game including bomb loaded attack planes above 1000 meters, its been 2 hit killed by tier 3 fighters, and when i tested it against the Russian multirole fighter with exactly 100 hit points flying straight behind it 200m away it took over 30 seconds to kill it. I have played 30 games with it and never gotten more than an assist because literally everything can out turn it, out gun it (as in damage actually dealt because as far as I can tell the listed firepower is a worthless number, and the cannon it has overheats in 3 seconds or less and takes 10 seconds to cool), and outlast it (30 games has only gotten me 3000 xp total so I cant get any better than base anything.)

I did pretty bad with it back when I first went up that line.  I found the J to be much better, but going back and playing it now, I know it is a strong plane.  You just need to fly it right.

I never lose; either I win or I learn.

Yagos2k16 #25 Posted 29 January 2017 - 12:27 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 20110 battles
  • [GW__S] GW__S

If you are not up at 14000 ft, you're doing it wrong,

Edited by Yagos2k16, 29 January 2017 - 01:23 AM.

Rosebud #26 Posted 29 January 2017 - 06:37 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 11979 battles
  • [SICK] SICK

Some of the confusion may be because you titled this post with P38-G. What you meant was P-38F, the tier five heavy fighter. To be exact you did not ask for help, you just lamented about the planes poor handling and firepower. I would ask you to play the plane in the following manner and reserve judgement until you finish 10 battles. Follow these simple rules for ten battles please.

1) Get higher then everyone else on your team or the other team, if possible. (You should gain altitude as well.)

2) Work your way down, attacking the enemy planes at the highest altitude. (Think of the battlefield as a cake and work your way down layer by layer.)

3) DO NOT...I repeat...DO NOT turn fight with any fighter or multi-role fighter. (Head toward your intended target, line up your shoot and fire. If you miss, just keep on going and regain your altitude.)

4) Repeat steps one through three until the battle ends.

Soon you will learn which heavies you can and must turn fight with...at altitude, but until then try these three rules of heavy fighter piloting.

When you come back to the forums and I hope you do, try and be a bit less...well, block headed. You are after all a noob and the vast majority of players on the forums are grizzled veterans. I apologize for all of us if we get a tad irritated by alterative facts.

Lethalhavoc #27 Posted 29 January 2017 - 09:59 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2972 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

View PostRosebud, on 29 January 2017 - 06:37 AM, said:

Some of the confusion may be because you titled this post with P38-G. What you meant was P-38F, the tier five heavy fighter. To be exact you did not ask for help, you just lamented about the planes poor handling and firepower. I would ask you to play the plane in the following manner and reserve judgement until you finish 10 battles. Follow these simple rules for ten battles please.

1) Get higher then everyone else on your team or the other team, if possible. (You should gain altitude as well.)

2) Work your way down, attacking the enemy planes at the highest altitude. (Think of the battlefield as a cake and work your way down layer by layer.)

3) DO NOT...I repeat...DO NOT turn fight with any fighter or multi-role fighter. (Head toward your intended target, line up your shoot and fire. If you miss, just keep on going and regain your altitude.)

4) Repeat steps one through three until the battle ends.

Soon you will learn which heavies you can and must turn fight with...at altitude, but until then try these three rules of heavy fighter piloting.

When you come back to the forums and I hope you do, try and be a bit less...well, block headed. You are after all a noob and the vast majority of players on the forums are grizzled veterans. I apologize for all of us if we get a tad irritated by alterative facts.

LOL! Can I get drunker instead?

losttwo #28 Posted 29 January 2017 - 10:27 PM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 29924 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

and this is flying it wrong...lol

Zapperguy #29 Posted 30 January 2017 - 02:39 AM

First Lieutenant

• -Community Ace-
  • 34048 battles
  • [CLOWN] CLOWN

View PostYagos2k16, on 28 January 2017 - 07:27 PM, said:

If you are not up at 14000 ft, you're doing it wrong,

Watch this video a few times. There is a lot to take in and you won't appreciate it all in one viewing. This is the right way to fly this plane.

Some things to note while you watch:

• Altitude. He didn't engage until he was at/near his max altitude. He stayed there until the first enemy was dead then worked his way down through the cake tiers as Rosebud described.
  • He chose to turnfight with the same plane he was flying. This is one of the only instances that you should turnfight in this plane. Yagos is an excellent pilot and it took him a while - don't expect miracles.
  • On his first pass at the lowest planes, he didn't chase, but maintained his momentum to help him climb to make another pass.
  • Boost. Note that he's not flying the whole battle with his throttle maxed and boost unavailable. He saved some boost at the end to get well above the final target to finish him off.
  • Speed. With a couple exceptions during his initial dogfight, Yagos maintained his speed in the green zone. If you are stalled you can't do anything. Try not to let your speed drop too low.
  • Sniper view can help significantly with accuracy, but you must maintain situational awareness or you will become target-focused and get shredded by someone you let sneak in behind you.

This video appears to have been made specifically to help you. Yagos didn't have to do that.

Maybe refrain from sarcastically calling people "genius" when they are offering advice (even if it's not the exact plane you were discussing).

Some of us have been playing this game for 5 years. Respecting advice from experienced vets will go a long way toward improving your game as well as not getting yourself attacked on the forum.

Listen to Yagos and Rosebud - they are giving you solid advice here.

Good luck.

:honoring:

Edited by Zapperguy, 30 January 2017 - 02:40 AM.

'Customize Your Carousel' thread - LINK

Custom skins for I-16(L), LBSh, & IL-20 - LINK

Psicko23 #30 Posted 30 January 2017 - 06:29 AM

First Lieutenant

• 18880 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-

View PostOuroborus15, on 28 January 2017 - 02:15 PM, said:

If its a high altitude plane why does it always spawn me at 500m or lower?

The spawn point altitude depends on the map, not the plane. That's why.

losttwo #31 Posted 30 January 2017 - 08:35 AM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 29924 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

Spawn points are map dependent and plane advantage dependent.

If a plane's major advantage is altitude then it will spawn low.

It is by WG design that you learn how to compensate for being given a disadvantage.

Case in point : GA spawn about around their mid altitude range forcing you to decide to go low and dive

or boost and climb.

If you climb you will not use all your boost to get above your altitude and will be at the back of the pack for top cover.

If you dive you will reach the ground fast and most times be in front WAY IN FRONT or away form the pack.

( so you can disappear easier )

20thCenturyLtd #32 Posted 30 January 2017 - 02:00 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 18513 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostOuroborus15, on 28 January 2017 - 04:12 PM, said:

P38J is not the one I am talking about Genius. I am talking about the one below it in tier 5 that's only real use is to be Target practice for Spitfires.....when you fly it like a ground attack plane.

^^^Fixed it for ya.

Personnel Officer, Knights of Dracarys

Please PM me if interested in applying or for more information.

pyantoryng #33 Posted 30 January 2017 - 06:57 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 12349 battles

Well, the P-38 does turn the best out of all heavy fighters out there in its tier and its speed characteristics are the best...but doesn't pack the wallop or rear guns like its competitors do, with four 50cals and one cannon of choice, you need to open fire pretty close for them to have good effect...and don't use 37mm unless you have good enough connection to somewhat consistently hit planes with it.

I didn't have good impression with it either, and I just powered my way through the F7F I got via F4U instead...but the green zone of P-38 is quite a bit higher than the other competitors...that might explain why you get outturned slightly above 1000 meters.

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

Rosebud #34 Posted 30 January 2017 - 07:48 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 11979 battles
  • [SICK] SICK
All good advice, I am sure Oruborus15 is thankful for the time and energy we all spent assisting him...that or it was all (as my father used to say) "pearls before swine." (and yes I know its Shakespeare, but my father was an English teacher and he did say it.)

mnbv_fockewulfe #35 Posted 30 January 2017 - 08:59 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 4509 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC
Another tip is that you will be able to outrun the 190s in the P-38.

Dat nose

knows does doe

mnbv_fockewulfe.png

Arthur_Dayne #36 Posted 31 January 2017 - 10:25 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 12290 battles

View PostOuroborus15, on 27 January 2017 - 05:10 AM, said:

Historically the P38 had an excellent combat record and was one of the most heavily armed fighters over Europe during its time in early WW2. It is the only aircraft to ever score a kill while in an unpowered glide (pilot detached external fuel tanks when enemy was spotted but forgot to switch to internal tanks before the enemy entered range). Yet the P38 in game is little more than a guaranteed free kill for the other team, it is slower, has lower HP, turns wider, and has fewer weapons than any other heavy fighter in the tier with comparable upgrades installed. It gets out turned by Beaufighters with full loads of rockets and all base upgrades. In a head on fight (chicken) it will ALWAYS lose to the P40 which is the plane you unlock the P38 with and is a normal fighter. That is how tinfoil this supposedly "heavy" fighter is. 

It either needs serious buffs or to be knocked down a tier, because there are tier 4s which heavily outgun it as it is, even reducing the XP cost of upgrades would be effective because other tier 5 planes have upgrades for much lower XP costs in spite of being much easier to get XP for.

Every time I use it I end up getting out turned by literally every plane in the game including bomb loaded attack planes above 1000 meters, its been 2 hit killed by tier 3 fighters, and when i tested it against the Russian multirole fighter with exactly 100 hit points flying straight behind it 200m away it took over 30 seconds to kill it. I have played 30 games with it and never gotten more than an assist because literally everything can out turn it, out gun it (as in damage actually dealt because as far as I can tell the listed firepower is a worthless number, and the cannon it has overheats in 3 seconds or less and takes 10 seconds to cool), and outlast it (30 games has only gotten me 3000 xp total so I cant get any better than base anything.)

the p38f and p-38j are the best planes in tier vi and V...period..... if you know what your doing..u out alt the light n u out turn the heavies...your not beatable... and p-38 bots are fearsome with the cant miss bot 37

fallanger #37 Posted 03 February 2017 - 05:47 PM

Master Sergeant

• 8032 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

I would not carry ordinance in a P38 of any flavor, and I fly one and usually I stay high and zoom down and back up again. I have watched countless matches in post mortem and the p38 is usually the executioner at high altitude unless engaged in a bot swarm, they usually get quite a few kills.

as someone mentioned....without being too crass - your doing it wrong.

unless you have a fail bot team, stay up high and pick them off as they come up.

Different aircraft demand a different style, but essentially try to practice more.

A large part of flying new planes is what your expectations are, manage that and you might have more fun.

If your not having fun, and your running into bot swarms, walk away and have a Pepsi or read a book or watch Vikings on the History Channel.

just a thought.  

Bad_Lag #38 Posted 06 February 2017 - 08:17 PM

• Alpha tester
  • 2210 battles
  • [SICK] SICK

View PostOuroborus15, on 28 January 2017 - 10:15 PM, said:

No, there is no secret key combination that makes this plane miraculously out turn an I-16. No, there is not a piece of equipment that you can buy that will make this plane into the invincible "historically" accurate version you speak of. Like all heavies, you point your nose up and boost up, then you fly around until you see a soft target, then you dive down and shred away. Rinse and repeat, you can literally do this in your sleep..... Sorry to disappoint you, but theres no "secret" cheats to make you better at this plane.....

Fog_Heavy_Cruiser_Chokai #39 Posted 07 February 2017 - 07:49 PM

• 6742 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

P-38 is a plane I personally hate, rebought, and can't perform in.

BUT. In the hands of a pilot better and more disciplined than myself, it is amazing. A truly great plane, one of the best at its tier.

The (not so) amazing Chokai is back! And he's hit all his personal goals sans one! Seriously though, nice to be back, looks like he game is improving. I continue to try to recruit new people.

BobozeeBear #40 Posted 07 February 2017 - 08:11 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 24799 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
My personal favorite heavy prop in game.

Tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.
Abraham Lincoln (1809-1865)

Also tagged with Ballance, planes, P38

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users