Anyone else think the P38G (first one) in game is trash?

Ballance planes P38

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

Ouroborus15 #1 Posted 27 January 2017 - 05:10 AM

Airman Basic

• 869 battles

Historically the P38 had an excellent combat record and was one of the most heavily armed fighters over Europe during its time in early WW2. It is the only aircraft to ever score a kill while in an unpowered glide (pilot detached external fuel tanks when enemy was spotted but forgot to switch to internal tanks before the enemy entered range). Yet the P38 in game is little more than a guaranteed free kill for the other team, it is slower, has lower HP, turns wider, and has fewer weapons than any other heavy fighter in the tier with comparable upgrades installed. It gets out turned by Beaufighters with full loads of rockets and all base upgrades. In a head on fight (chicken) it will ALWAYS lose to the P40 which is the plane you unlock the P38 with and is a normal fighter. That is how tinfoil this supposedly "heavy" fighter is. 

It either needs serious buffs or to be knocked down a tier, because there are tier 4s which heavily outgun it as it is, even reducing the XP cost of upgrades would be effective because other tier 5 planes have upgrades for much lower XP costs in spite of being much easier to get XP for.

Every time I use it I end up getting out turned by literally every plane in the game including bomb loaded attack planes above 1000 meters, its been 2 hit killed by tier 3 fighters, and when i tested it against the Russian multirole fighter with exactly 100 hit points flying straight behind it 200m away it took over 30 seconds to kill it. I have played 30 games with it and never gotten more than an assist because literally everything can out turn it, out gun it (as in damage actually dealt because as far as I can tell the listed firepower is a worthless number, and the cannon it has overheats in 3 seconds or less and takes 10 seconds to cool), and outlast it (30 games has only gotten me 3000 xp total so I cant get any better than base anything.)

Edited by Ouroborus15, 28 January 2017 - 10:02 PM.

DInk_Spinkley #2 Posted 27 January 2017 - 05:30 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 10860 battles
you're doing it wrong
My wife said if I can make money playing video games, she'd leave me alone, so....

PhantomStar_ #3 Posted 27 January 2017 - 06:13 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1428 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-
I really hope you're talking about a different plane...I don't have the P-38 but in the hands of a good player, it's a huge threat to all T5s and some T6s

Rosebud #4 Posted 27 January 2017 - 06:30 AM

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 11446 battles
  • [SICK] SICK

View PostOuroborus15, on 27 January 2017 - 12:10 AM, said:

Historically the P38 had an excellent combat record and was one of the most heavily armed fighters over Europe during its time in early WW2. It is the only aircraft to ever score a kill while in an unpowered glide (pilot detached external fuel tanks when enemy was spotted but forgot to switch to internal tanks before the enemy entered range). Yet the P38 in game is little more than a guaranteed free kill for the other team, it is slower, has lower HP, turns wider, and has fewer weapons than any other heavy fighter in the tier with comparable upgrades installed. It gets out turned by Beaufighters with full loads of rockets and all base upgrades. In a head on fight (chicken) it will ALWAYS lose to the P40 which is the plane you unlock the P38 with and is a normal fighter. That is how tinfoil this supposedly "heavy" fighter is.

It either needs serious buffs or to be knocked down a tier, because there are tier 4s which heavily outgun it as it is, even reducing the XP cost of upgrades would be effective because other tier 5 planes have upgrades for much lower XP costs in spite of being much easier to get XP for.

You sir are a mad person...you have gone insane and are unaware of it. The P-38F can take out tier six heavies. The P38J can take out tier seven heavies. There is literally no plane at tier six or five that is better then the J or F. Maybe you need to play a few (or a lot) more games or possibly you may need to see a professional, because you are a mad person. Months or years from now you will look back on this post and think "OMG what an idiotic thing I wrote."

Edited by Rosebud, 27 January 2017 - 06:30 AM.

MelBrooks #5 Posted 27 January 2017 - 07:37 AM

• 29216 battles
  • [WHAWK] WHAWK
P38J is the dominant plane in tier 6 in the hands of the right pilot.....

Bubba_Zanetti #6 Posted 27 January 2017 - 07:50 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 27424 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

Easy now, this dudes still learning.  

He's probably flying low to mid altitude, shooting ground targets and turn n burning with fighters.  Someone should tell him he needs to throttle up at 50 degrees or so at the start to get as high altitude as possible before engaging the enemy team where hopefully he's above them, then slightly dive, taking care of the enemy from top down, keeping speed, zooming away from his target as they turn on him, repeating when safely out of range, using the games mechanics instead of relying on historical stats....

just saying...

edit:  yup....just checked his profile.  He hits GT's with all the classes.

Edited by Bubba_Zanetti, 27 January 2017 - 08:15 AM.

ScorchTrials_ #7 Posted 27 January 2017 - 08:11 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 5965 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-
lololololol 

ScorchTrials_.png

losttwo #8 Posted 27 January 2017 - 09:44 AM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 29924 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

My P-38F has 896 battles and is the most flown plane in my 200 plane inventory

It carries a max kill rating of 6 and 10 ground targets.

Welcome to the forums and thank you for playing WOWP.

my best suggestion for you is to come to the forums and ask the numerous amount of veterans for help rather than

posting about how lousy a plane is and that it needs a nerf or buff.

You will get trolled by so hard that it will chase you out of the game and forums.

P-38 series planes is an extremely high altitude boom and zoom plane.

If you are new at playing it DO NOT USE ROCKETS AND BOMBS.

I have yet ot see a BOT using rockets or bombs on one.

Do the best you can to stay higher than any plane in the game and attack like a bird of prey.

I have never see an EAGLE or WHAWK attack from the ground up.

Rosebud #9 Posted 27 January 2017 - 02:41 PM

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 11446 battles
  • [SICK] SICK

View PostRosebud, on 27 January 2017 - 01:30 AM, said:

You sir are a mad person...you have gone insane and are unaware of it. The P-38F can take out tier six heavies. The P38J can take out tier seven heavies. There is literally no plane at tier six or five that is better then the J or F. Maybe you need to play a few (or a lot) more games or possibly you may need to see a professional, because you are a mad person. Months or years from now you will look back on this post and think "OMG what an idiotic thing I wrote."

Allow me to apologize. I did not mean for this to sound nasty. Its just that your statement was sooo off the mark. The good people above are right and their advice spot on. That plane is a high altitude plane and you need to learn how to Boom and Zoom in it. Otherwise it will not perform like you envision it performing. One thing to keep in mind as you progress in WoWP the planes are represented in name only.

Bubba_Zanetti #10 Posted 27 January 2017 - 02:50 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 27424 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
And dump/fire off all ordinance if you're about to engage the enemy, so you regain the speed and maneuverability of the unladen version.  That'll help in a fight.  Or don't load up until you understand the basics and differences in handling.  Later on after a couple hundred battles you can go for the destroyer medals you seek.

mnbv_fockewulfe #11 Posted 27 January 2017 - 03:51 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 4194 battles
  • [JACS] JACS

View PostRosebud, on 27 January 2017 - 06:30 AM, said:

The P-38F can shoot down T7 multi-roles. Just ask losttwo. :hiding:

He has a video of it.

Dat nose

knows does doe

mnbv_fockewulfe.png

losttwo #12 Posted 27 January 2017 - 05:33 PM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 29924 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

View Postmnbv_fockewulfe, on 27 January 2017 - 10:51 AM, said:

The P-38F can shoot down T7 multi-roles. Just ask losttwo. :hiding:

He has a video of it.

I certainly would have one if I could make one.

My memory isn't  all that good but I think the P-38's were invented after the cancellation of 3 tier spreads.

Here is the closest I can come a good P-38J video. With a Rocket spam at the end.

Edited by losttwo, 27 January 2017 - 05:38 PM.

DInk_Spinkley #13 Posted 27 January 2017 - 06:25 PM

• 10860 battles

View PostBubba_Zanetti, on 27 January 2017 - 02:50 AM, said:

Easy now, this dudes still learning.  

He's probably flying low to mid altitude, shooting ground targets and turn n burning with fighters.  Someone should tell him he needs to throttle up at 50 degrees or so at the start to get as high altitude as possible before engaging the enemy team where hopefully he's above them, then slightly dive, taking care of the enemy from top down, keeping speed, zooming away from his target as they turn on him, repeating when safely out of range, using the games mechanics instead of relying on historical stats....

just saying...

edit:  yup....just checked his profile.  He hits GT's with all the classes.

BEcause of course he does
My wife said if I can make money playing video games, she'd leave me alone, so....

mnbv_fockewulfe #14 Posted 27 January 2017 - 07:55 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 4194 battles
  • [JACS] JACS

I found it for you.

Dat nose

knows does doe

mnbv_fockewulfe.png

losttwo #15 Posted 27 January 2017 - 08:06 PM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 29924 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G
Holly cow that was old...I forgot I had that one.

x_WARHOG_x #16 Posted 28 January 2017 - 03:59 AM

• 28303 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

Altitude is king............................:trollface:

Also heavy's are not ground attack thats your problem if your down low in a 38 hitting GTs then your a sitting duck you should be at altitude flying top cover for your team killing planes.......

Edited by x_WARHOG_x, 28 January 2017 - 04:02 AM.

Sneaking up on your six.....................

Psicko23 #17 Posted 28 January 2017 - 12:10 PM

First Lieutenant

• 18508 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-
I love the p38 series. They are definitely the most dominate heavies in t5 and t6. You are obviously doing something wrong. You shouldn't be loading rockets and bombs and going after ground targets in it, when you fly below your optimum altitude while carrying rockets and bombs, yes the other heavies will be able to out turn you. The p38 pilots in ww2 never went after ground targets while enemy planes were in the air. The p38s are high altitude fast flyers. If you go head to head with a bot in a fighter and you don't do it right, you will die or be low on health. Its like when a girl says it's her, not you. It really is you.

_Warchylde_ #18 Posted 28 January 2017 - 05:08 PM

First Lieutenant

• 8523 battles
  • [WHAWK] WHAWK

View PostPsicko23, on 28 January 2017 - 07:10 AM, said:

I love the p38 series. They are definitely the most dominate heavies in t5 and t6. You are obviously doing something wrong. You shouldn't be loading rockets and bombs and going after ground targets in it, when you fly below your optimum altitude while carrying rockets and bombs, yes the other heavies will be able to out turn you. The p38 pilots in ww2 never went after ground targets while enemy planes were in the air. The p38s are high altitude fast flyers. If you go head to head with a bot in a fighter and you don't do it right, you will die or be low on health. Its like when a girl says it's her, not you. It really is you.

Indeed.

My great uncle flew a P-38 L in Europe, and his squadron was a ground attack formation, hitting supply dumps, railroad yards, trains, etc. HOWEVER, they always had T-bolts or Stangs flying top cover to keep the bad guys at bay while they kicked the windows.

But that's just a historical perspective. In the game, a heavy fighter should be in the thin air, playing the raptor.

There are very few problems in this world which can not be solved

by a suitable and timely application of concentrated firepower.

"Fly High, Fly Fast, Fly Smart, and Shoot First!!"

FreeFOXMIKE #19 Posted 28 January 2017 - 09:59 PM

G.A.T.P. (Global Alpha Test Pilot)

• 17383 battles
  • [332ND] 332ND
 its a ZOOM n BOOM no turn fights for this one any time I due bat Its because I got sucked into a turn fight and got jumped . 

332 Virtual  Fighter  Group

Ouroborus15 #20 Posted 28 January 2017 - 10:12 PM

Airman Basic

• 869 battles

View PostMelBrooks, on 27 January 2017 - 07:37 AM, said:

P38J is the dominant plane in tier 6 in the hands of the right pilot.....

P38J is not the one I am talking about Genius. I am talking about the one below it in tier 5 that's only real use is to be Target practice for Spitfires.

Also tagged with Ballance, planes, P38

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users