Dornier Do.17 Do.17 Video Guide TbM

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

MagusGerhardt #1 Posted 21 January 2017 - 01:21 AM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 7661 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

The Dornier was one of my first loves in this game; a high speed light bomber repurposed into a heavy night fighter.  The Kauz does retain some reminders of her bomber lineage in game; a payload of 400kg in high explosive bombs and a pair of defensive machine guns manned by the same gunner.  (This despite the fact that there is an individual gunner modeled in game for each gun.  All Otto does down in the belly of the ex-bomber is gather spent shell casings and fix coffee for the pilot and active gunner.)  The Kauz's defensive firing arc is among the largest in game if not the largest outright.  This is balanced by them being fairly weak and short ranged, only being 7.92mm in size.  The Kauz is a premium, however, so this weakness can be addressed by placing a highly skilled gunner in the rear position and further reinforcing those gunner skills with a single piece of equipment; the rear gun stabilizer to increase range by 15%.

The other two equipment slots are best used with defensive gear like reinforced airframe and improved covering.  If you don't have a pilot available for her with both levels of engine guru, however, I would recommend switching out one of those defensive pieces for an Engine Tuning module, as her speed is one of the aircraft's best attributes.  Compared to the equal tier Focke-Wulf Fw.57 Fat Wulf I prefer the Dornier.  She's a smaller target than the FW, faster, has more health and slightly outturns the bigger aircraft while sacrificing a little bomb payload and 250 meters of altitude handling.  Skills being equal the Dornier should win in a contest between the two of them every time.

The Dornier is a great aircraft to practice heavy fighter tactics in, and strong enough in the role that she is my go-to aircraft for daily mission completions at low tier that are best carried out with a heavy fighter.

More videos are on the way; still learning new things about my Filmora editor every day and should have a great Stuka battle featuring Erdminger/Zigfried of Wraith Squadron soon, as well as a review for the Messerschmitt Me.163 Komet when Hawkeyededic gets the custom skin for her finished!

Good hunting!  :honoring:

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, Paris, 13 Nov. 1787

Zigfreid #2 Posted 21 January 2017 - 02:32 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 36018 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-

Great plane and great video, thanks for sharing.

That looked like so much fun, tier 3 power house.

You have the talent and the eye for making video's!

Always look forward to any video you make. <O

BaerenGott #3 Posted 22 January 2017 - 12:12 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Alpha tester
  • 972 battles
  • [7CR] 7CR
Nice writeup Magnus.  How do you create replays?  I'd like to also.

Visit stats-sig.eu and generate your own signature!

MagusGerhardt #4 Posted 22 January 2017 - 08:02 PM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 7661 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostBaerenGott, on 22 January 2017 - 05:12 AM, said:

Nice writeup Magnus.  How do you create replays?  I'd like to also.

Just turn on the "replay" function in the in-game options menu.

Then, associate the replay files the game creates with the game executable file (NOT the client patcher) and watch the replay while running a video capture program of some sort.  I have used FRAPS, Bandicam and Shadowplay for this in the past, but am currently using OBS 64.  Note that replays only work if they are from the current version of the game.

Let me know if there's anything else I can help you with!

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, Paris, 13 Nov. 1787

Ace_BOTlistic_Cosmo #5 Posted 23 January 2017 - 03:20 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 20208 battles
  • [WHAWK] WHAWK
you made the plane look as fun as it is... nice 1

if the pilot's good, see, I mean, if he's really..sharp, he can barrel that baby in so low [he spreads his arms like wings and laughs],

you oughtta see it sometime, it's a sight. A big plane like a '52. VRROOM! There's jet exhaust, fryin' chickens in the barnyard.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users