P-80A Guide Review Replay TbM

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

MagusGerhardt #1 Posted 08 January 2017 - 09:39 PM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 187 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

Here is the followup to my last video and the conclusion to my coverage of the "When You Wish Upon a Star" meta-mission.  The P-80A Shooting Star is the reward from completing every major and minor mission objective, and the aircraft is well worth the effort to obtain her for free.  If you are a player who is short on time and have not been able to complete the mission yet, there is still a little more than a week remaining to do so, but if success seems to be in question I will recommend that you purchase mission certificates to clear out what you are missing; even the $36 certificate package is a bargain for this aircraft, considering that it comes with the Hs.123 and a pair of hangar slots when usually a single tier VIII premium sells for at least $50.

The aircraft itself is quite versatile and a fun joyride; fast and agile, with an insane roll rate and all of her M3 50 cal MGs mounted in the nose for a tight firing pattern mirroring those of the German heavy fighters and the American P-38s.  Having no cannons her range is quite limited, but once inside of 500 meters the Shooting Star can wreck almost any opponent with one pass and a single solid connecting burst of fire.

The Shooting Star's strength is in her speed and agility; more agile than other jets she will encounter and faster than most of the more maneuverable fighters she must contend with.  There are two exceptions:  the American P-51H Mustang and the German Me.209A.  Those two aircraft are pure kryptonite to the P-80 and any half decent player will use them to shut down a rampaging P-80 right in its tracks.  When flying the P-80 only engage those two aircraft when they are at an extreme disadvantage to you or if you have backup in the form of a wingman.  Everything else is prey to the P-80 so long as the player is well versed in the flight tactics necessary for success in her and a pilot with decent skills has been placed in the aircraft.

Good hunting!  :honoring:

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, Paris, 13 Nov. 1787

Kiwiav8r #2 Posted 09 January 2017 - 12:52 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 119 battles
  • [ACES_] ACES_

View PostMagusGerhardt, on 09 January 2017 - 09:39 AM, said:

Everything else is prey to the P-80 so long as the player is well versed in the flight tactics necessary for success in her and a pilot with decent skills has been placed in the aircraft.

Even the La-9?

"Credibility down, Kill Ratio up!" - Joe 'Hoser' Satrapa

Aces (pre v1.9):  Bulldog, A4N, Hawk III, F2A-1, I-16(e), Skua, Ar68, A6M1, P-36, XF4F-3, Bf-109B, Bf-110B, Bf-110 C6, Blenheim, Bf-109E, Bf-110E, P-40, P-40 M105, XFL-1, Spitfire I, M.20, Beaufighter, IL-2 (mod), XF4U-1, Mosquito, P-51A, Yak-7, Yak-1M, Bf-109F, La-5, Spitfire V, Me-410, F4U-1, Fw-190 A5, Yak-9, XP-50, P-39Q-15, Mustang Mk 1, P-38J, P-51D, Yak-9U, Bf-109G, La-7, Spitfire IX, A7M, Fw-190D, F7F, Yak-15, Me-262

MagusGerhardt #3 Posted 09 January 2017 - 01:29 AM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 187 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostKiwiav8r, on 08 January 2017 - 05:52 PM, said:

Even the La-9?

Had no problems with bots flying that crate.  I don't see players in them very often any more.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, Paris, 13 Nov. 1787

Zigfreid #4 Posted 10 January 2017 - 01:23 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 1163 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-
Nicely done :honoring:

MelBrooks #5 Posted 13 January 2017 - 01:43 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 6 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC
Good Stuff.....But, I want to know who was flying in Phoenix's account? :hiding:

MagusGerhardt #6 Posted 13 January 2017 - 03:19 AM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 187 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostMelBrooks, on 12 January 2017 - 06:43 PM, said:

Good Stuff.....But, I want to know who was flying in Phoenix's account? :hiding:

That was Phoenix.  He submitted the battle to me.  Why would I fly on someone else's account to have an awesome battle and make them look good for later publication on my youtube channel, when I could do that for myself?  :P

The only time I've ever gone onto someone else's account for these videos is if I am reviewing an aircraft that I do not have personally and a battle for said aircraft has been provided to me.  Then I'll log into the target account with the user's permission for the express purpose of recording the hangar chat / review segment.

orca49 #7 Posted 16 January 2017 - 04:34 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 25 battles
  • [-ACT-] -ACT-

View PostMagusGerhardt, on 08 January 2017 - 03:39 PM, said

The Shooting Star's strength is in her speed and agility; more agile than other jets she will encounter and faster than most of the more maneuverable fighters she must contend with.  There are two exceptions:  the American P-51H Mustang and the German Me.209A.  Those two aircraft are pure kryptonite to the P-80 and any half decent player will use them to shut down a rampaging P-80 right in its tracks. 

True and verified.  Although the pilot I was against in his P80 was flying quite well to avoid my fire and made me work for it.   I am still working out the new plane smell of my 209A and the grind for upgrades.  someone is going to have to tell me the easiest way of uploading a replay.

sig.png

A knight in shining armor is a knight who has never had his metal tested.

For your armor after battle tells the story of who you truly are.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users