Choosing a plane

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

BaronDoug #1 Posted 04 January 2017 - 12:54 AM

Airman Basic

• 109 battles

Hello everyone, my first post. I started this game several days ago and am hooked so far. I played a pilot/shipwright in Star Wars Galaxies and loved the constant ship-tweaking and playing strengths and weaknesses against each other. Most of all, I liked the idea that it was a never-ending learning path and the rush of adrenaline when being approached by a top pilot.

I am slowly figuring out the basics here. At first I was probably like many others and "looking for the best plane." I quickly realized there is no "best" plane, but maybe there is a plane that suits a particular individual best. Now I am trying to figure out what that is for me. I am heavily leaning towards a fighter, specifically right now I like the Curtis P-23 and the F3F Grumman. Tried a tier 2 German plane very similar to the P-23...also tried up to Tier 4 in each of those trees but kept gravitating back to the highest turning/maneuverability even though firepower lacked a bit.

The F3F seemed to hit the hardest with all upgrades, and I got a pair of 6-kill battles. It turns well also. I'm not really sure which line I will go with, but I don't want to go past Tier 4 for awhile, would like to learn as much as  I can before moving up.

Looking at the end of the tiers to try and decide on which tree, I see the P-51 has high air speed/maneuverability, as I recall the end tier of the F3F line at higher levels isn't terribly maneuverable(past Corsair) and I have no desire to ever deal with bombs or missiles. I prefer constant action dog-fighting.

It's challenging to resist the urge to get into a turning fight with a less maneuverable aircraft and instead jump from target to target saving teammates (although I only recently realized many are bots.) It also took me 2 days to figure out that what i was watching after I crashed was other players/bots.

I think rather than try and min/max think on the stats of a plane, I can fairly accurately depict my play style and ask for the veterans help in choosing a tree?

My style is look for targets of opportunity, try to fly as precisely and disciplined as I can in a fast and agile plane. I'd ideally find a "clan" and focus on group efforts and strategy. I'd only get a kill or two per battle at most, but would take shots at most of the planes by clearing tails and hitting and running, only getting into a prolonged turn fight with a lesser plane at a safe distance from a furball. I'd use the clouds and altitude, maintain distance when possible.

I think that covers it. I have NO interest in a ground attack plane. I am sure of that. Any thoughts from the vets? And how do I find a good clan? It seems to me the few I have looked at require "experienced" pilots of thousands of battles.

Thanks.

mnbv_fockewulfe #2 Posted 04 January 2017 - 01:31 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 4563 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC
Glad you are enjoying the game! Considering your preferences for maneuverability and firepower I could suggest three lines: a Russian plane, Spitfire, or Japanese Oscar. The Russians and Japanese have a strong ability to turn fight, while the Spitfires can do turning fighting against the US and Germans while being able to "boom and zoom" the other nations. Others can fill you in better than I can, but here is at least a place to start.

Dat nose

knows does doe

mnbv_fockewulfe.png

HEAVEYGEAR #3 Posted 04 January 2017 - 02:23 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 5730 battles
Welcome to the game. You're smart to want to stick around tier4 for a while. As mnbv said, Russian or Japanese are your best bet for dog fighting at that level. Tier 3 Russian  I-16 (e) is an absolute buzz saw. Give that a try, sounds like your style.

Edited by HEAVEYGEAR, 04 January 2017 - 04:40 AM.

NaCS49F.png

I've knocked on death's door.....no one answered.....I don't complain much anymore.

Me.

Gang_Starr #4 Posted 04 January 2017 - 08:13 AM

Captain

• 12324 battles
  • [BAGG] BAGG
Go up the German light fighter line, it's extremely powerful and easy to play - best line for new players. Post on the forum if you are struggling, you can use the search function as well since every useful advice known to man has already been posted hundreds of times around here. People here are always helpful as long as you are willing to listen.

Tenks

Psicko23 #5 Posted 04 January 2017 - 10:57 AM

First Lieutenant

• 19607 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-
The f3f line characteristics change after the f3f. They are decently fast, but not very maneuverable. The russian fighter lines are good. The yak line is maneuverable and has good guns, but is a low altitude line. The yak multirole is not as maneuverable as the yak line, but the bf cannons will wreck when they hit. The LA line is a mid altitude/lower higher altitude line. It is pretty maneuverable, good guns, and decently fast. The mig line is the high altitude, fast plane in the russian line up. The t6 is not that good, but the others are. 

scipionmk #6 Posted 04 January 2017 - 04:27 PM

• 28771 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-
Every plane has strenghts and weakneses. Fly all of them so you learn them and use strenghts in a fight. As you stated there aren't best plane in a game. As you go up you will see there are some adventages on a hevy lines due consumable and combination of a speed, fire power,  hp and some consumables use. Generally, at lower tiers turn and burn, at mid and higher tiers zoom and boom.

_Warchylde_ #7 Posted 04 January 2017 - 05:12 PM

First Lieutenant

• 10944 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

Everyone has their own style, and everyone has their favorites.

At Tier 3, I'll take an F3F against anyone. Its maneuverability and firepower are unmatched. Forget about the bombs. This is a dogfighter's plane, and can even own Tier 4 I-16s and A6M1s.

Now while I like the Wildcat (never enjoyed the Buffalo at all), I always felt more comfortable in a Messerschmitt from Tier 4 on up. I prefer using altitude to set up diving attacks, and this is where the 109s shine. My only Akamatsu Medal was earned in a 109E against Tier 7s.

There are some very elite pilots who swear by the LAs and the MIGs, and some other elite pilots who live and die in their rice-burners, and yet another group of steel-eyed killers who fly nothing but American fighters, but I just love my Messerschmitts.

The key here, as others have pointed out, is to fly all of the planes. That way you can find one plane (or series of planes) that fits your personality and style, while learning the strengths and weaknesses of those planes you will face down in the skies.  Fly them all, learn them all, then keep the ones you want.

Have fun, fly high, fly fast, fly smart, and always shoot first.

Peace,

War

Here are some videos of Tier 3-5 gameplay (some are mine, some are from my friend Gaijin Ronin)....I hope they help.

T-3 F3F Video:  https://youtu.be/HbCZDhe5hog

T-4 I-16(l) Video:  https://youtu.be/Ul0eZaQJah4

T-4 P-36 Video:  https://youtu.be/0L7HtifNxQo

T-4 A6M1 Video:  https://youtu.be/BaoniOo7bHg

T-4 Bristol 146 Video: https://youtu.be/4U-utvcACGI

T-4 Bf 109B Guide:    https://youtu.be/pF14MuZ1JBM

T-5 F4F Video:  https://youtu.be/wDBpn_xYvi0

T-5 Bf 109E Akamatsu:  https://youtu.be/iSrgpJdY4BY

Edited by _Warchylde_, 04 January 2017 - 05:44 PM.

"Shee, you guys are so unhip, it's a wonder your bums don't fall off!"

- Zaphod Beeblebrox

RedSpartacus #8 Posted 04 January 2017 - 05:30 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 17544 battles
  • [GW__S] GW__S
Are the 109s as good as they used to be ?
  RUN WITH THE PACK

_Warchylde_ #9 Posted 04 January 2017 - 06:13 PM

First Lieutenant

• 10944 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

View PostRedSpartacus, on 04 January 2017 - 12:30 PM, said:

Haven't played since March, right after they introduced the stupid bots and ruined the game, so I can not speak to the current state of this hot mess they call WoWP.

- Zaphod Beeblebrox

BuffaloTime #10 Posted 04 January 2017 - 06:50 PM

• 20362 battles
  • [3MNKY] 3MNKY

View Post_Warchylde_, on 04 January 2017 - 12:12 PM, said:

(never enjoyed the Buffalo at all)

1. That's blasphemy.
  2. If you fly multirole's, remember first priority is to fight other planes. If you attack ground you are handicapping your team. Bombs and/or rockets for missions. Unless you are proficient at air to air rocket killing.

Noreaga #11 Posted 04 January 2017 - 06:57 PM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 8732 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostRedSpartacus, on 04 January 2017 - 12:30 PM, said:

I played a few games over the holidays, first game  was in the 209A a 4 kill win. I had trouble hitting things (9% oh the shame), but the energy retention seemed the same. 

the P-47 i am not good in, oh god so bad in it.

Nimis obnoxii curare

_Warchylde_ #12 Posted 04 January 2017 - 07:49 PM

First Lieutenant

• 10944 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

View PostBuffaloTime, on 04 January 2017 - 01:50 PM, said:

1. That's blasphemy

All a matter of taste. I like single malt whiskey, others hate it.

I much prefer the XF4F3 at Tier IV over the Buffalo. Nimble little scrapper. ( I THINK I have a video of the T4 premium Wildcat somewhere....)

EDIT: Yup, found it....a 3v3, where my wingmen died rather quickly, forcing me to face an A6M1, a P-36, and an F2A, all alone.

https://youtu.be/3upy9D8yHGA

I do know pilots who have a love affair with the Buffalo, and I even made a video of two clan mates who each scored an Ace in a single battle, killing 10 of the 11 enemy planes...One in am A6M1, and the other in a Buffalo.  https://youtu.be/oZ-7Dde3mpg

(It must be noted that this battle dates to before they removed the 20mm cannons from the Buffalo....you would have loved it, Buffalo Time.)

The F2A is great plane, but it just never "clicked" with me.

Edited by _Warchylde_, 04 January 2017 - 08:28 PM.

- Zaphod Beeblebrox

BuffaloTime #13 Posted 04 January 2017 - 08:02 PM

• 20362 battles
  • [3MNKY] 3MNKY

View Post_Warchylde_, on 04 January 2017 - 02:49 PM, said:

All a matter of taste. I like single malt whiskey, others hate it.

I much prefer the XF4F3 at Tier IV over the Buffalo. Nimble little scrapper. ( I THINK I have a video of the T4 premium Wildcat somewhere....)

I do know pilots who have a love affair with the Buffalo, and I even made a video of two clan mates who each scored an Ace in a single battle...One in am A6M1, and the other in a Buffalo. 

Great plane, but it just never "clicked" with me.

I was just kidding

_Warchylde_ #14 Posted 04 January 2017 - 08:24 PM

First Lieutenant

• 10944 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

View PostBuffaloTime, on 04 January 2017 - 03:02 PM, said:

I was just kidding

All good brother :honoring:

- Zaphod Beeblebrox

BaronDoug #15 Posted 04 January 2017 - 08:42 PM

Airman Basic

• 109 battles

If I try to distill all of the replies here so far and come up with a "plan" its going to basically be fly every tree up to Tier 4 (even try some ground attack, bombs might be fun.) And then move a few more up to high tiers. Main take-away is that higher up will be much more about what I have learned, positioning, teamwork...and not so much about how different the numbers are between each plane.

I'm just going to take it easy, have a good time.

Someone mentioned earlier about the F3F...I LOVE that one, and I FEAR it when I am flying against it. Now I pick them out early and go after them early, they are so dangerous.

Noreaga #16 Posted 04 January 2017 - 09:01 PM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 8732 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostBaronDoug, on 04 January 2017 - 03:42 PM, said:

If I try to distill all of the replies here so far and come up with a "plan" its going to basically be fly every tree up to Tier 4 (even try some ground attack, bombs might be fun.) And then move a few more up to high tiers. Main take-away is that higher up will be much more about what I have learned, positioning, teamwork...and not so much about how different the numbers are between each plane.

Someone mentioned earlier about the F3F...I LOVE that one, and I FEAR it when I am flying against it. Now I pick them out early and go after them early, they are so dangerous.

pretty much the way to go, play them all and have fun. Most of the planes in T4 are fun to fly and no plane is too OP. T5 is a good time to start deciding on the style of play you like the most, by T6 you should be advanced level with whatever plane you have it only gets more specialized as you go up from there. 

only warning i can give you, is to keep an eye on the pilots more than the plane. Fear the 20k game pilot in in the TSH more than the 20 game pilot in the F3F. 

once again have fun, it is a great game until you think it is not!

Nimis obnoxii curare

Omega_Weapon #17 Posted 04 January 2017 - 09:01 PM

• 10814 battles
  • [GRIEF] GRIEF

View PostBaronDoug, on 04 January 2017 - 03:42 PM, said:

​F3F is exceptionally good in its tier. Top agility, good speed and more than adequate firepower. Already lots of good advice in the posts above, but I'll try to give you a simplified overview of the overall nation line-ups. If you want agility over everything else you are looking at the Japanese and Russian lines (turn and burn fighting style). Downside is they lack speed and don't fight well at high altitudes which is often a serious disadvantage. If you want fast planes with high altitude capability the Germans are best followed closely by the Americans (boom and zoom fighting style). Downside is they have lower agility and need to fight like a yo-yo diving on prey, then running away until the next pass. They lose performance too if they get drawn into lower altitudes. The British line is a good average between the 2 extremes. Hope that helps.

Edited by Omega_Weapon, 04 January 2017 - 09:02 PM.

Yagos2k16 #18 Posted 05 January 2017 - 10:37 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 20471 battles
  • [GW__S] GW__S

View PostOmega_Weapon, on 04 January 2017 - 04:01 PM, said:

​F3F is exceptionally good in its tier. Top agility, good speed and more than adequate firepower. Already lots of good advice in the posts above, but I'll try to give you a simplified overview of the overall nation line-ups. If you want agility over everything else you are looking at the Japanese and Russian lines (turn and burn fighting style). Downside is they lack speed and don't fight well at high altitudes which is often a serious disadvantage. If you want fast planes with high altitude capability the Germans are best followed closely by the Americans (boom and zoom fighting style). Downside is they have lower agility and need to fight like a yo-yo diving on prey, then running away until the next pass. They lose performance too if they get drawn into lower altitudes. The British line is a good average between the 2 extremes. Hope that helps.

you nailed it.

BaronDoug #19 Posted 06 January 2017 - 03:58 AM

Airman Basic

• 109 battles

I am slowly getting used to diving, shooting and running back up (there's never enough boost though.) I have stalled a P-23 doing this now. It's an odd playstyle, I haven't formed an opinion yet. I usually get 0 kills 3-4 assists doing this, sometimes get a kill when I can find a weak one or two. If I spot a tail and clear it, I'll go to the deck to finish him off because I know I'll have at least one temporary wingman to help, then I try and get back up to altitude before anyone notices me.

The only thing I find handicapping with this is, not enough boost, and not enough firepower to make dents in tougher planes on passes like that. Maybe a heavy fighter is my style with more speed, more boost and bigger guns? 

*edit* Ok, I looked at Warchyld's videos and damn...I was never getting that kind of altitude. I was using boost to climb but not even at a 40 degree angle up to maybe 1200 feet. Logging in to try some of this, I didn't realize it was that extreme, that looks fun as hell.

Edited by BaronDoug, 06 January 2017 - 04:13 AM.

Bobby_Tables #20 Posted 06 January 2017 - 04:21 AM

• 24096 battles

Hey BaronDoug,

Welcome to the game.  You seem to have some smarts by reaching out to the community and have already learned some things.  I have some advice on Boom and Zoom (AKA BnZ) learning at lower tiers although others will probably disagree:

Use the F3F (Turn and Burn for the most part, but great) as a method to gain more silver so you can purchase other planes and learn from them.  If you want to learn Boom and Zoom try the German Heavy line.  At T2 you will have the A0 192 Courier, but it gets much better.....  The Fw 57 is a great machine to learn BnZ.  It takes discipline to keep the plane at speed and with some reserve boost to climb back up.  Personally, in my F3F (and other fighter types at T3) I can burn down Fw 57's, but if flown right, The Fw 57 will get you a good amount of aces.  Once you get enough experience, the Bf 110B is the king of BnZ at T4.  As this was my first multiplayer game, it took me a looooooong time to figure out what I was doing.  Thus I have thousands of battles in the 110B.  Once I figured it out and built a huge stash of silver, I started on the fighters and multiroles and yes, even Ground Attack planes.  

The key is to stay at the lower tiers until you feel like it's not much of a challenge.  Once you get to T5, things change dramatically.  I have seen way too many players purchase expensive T8 premium planes way too early and just get burned each and every battle. 

Use your good planes such as the F3F and Fw 57 or Bf 110B (and others mentioned above) to earn silver and then grind some other lines.  Keep your "go-to money makers" and discard the losers if you are short on hangar space.  So many people complain about not having any silver but that should absolutely not be an issue if you have some bona fide money makers in your stable.  I did not own a premium plane until well into the game (say 5,000 battles or so).  And for the most part, they were won in contests, giveaways, or purchases with a mixture of ill gotten booty (i.e. PayPal) and reward gold.

I spend some money on this game when I feel they are doing things right, but not a lot.  Keep at it and you will gain a lot of silver and eventually gold, just don't try to buy your way to excellence, it doesn't work like that in this game. 

Good luck, and good hunting.  

Edited by Bobby_Tables, 06 January 2017 - 04:28 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users