SE100 Guide Replay TbM

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

MagusGerhardt #1 Posted 22 December 2016 - 04:19 AM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 7455 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

Well, here it is; my final video for 2016.  I chose to feature the tier V French premium heavy fighter, the SNCASE SE100, or "Merlin" for short.  I chose the name Merlin despite the Anglo connotation because like the venerable sage from Arthurian legend the SE100 is a complete wizard in the air.

At first glance when I obtained her I didn't expect very much, because as ATSF puts it "The French didn't know how to make things that are actually scary", a reference to the S35 and B2 tanks and the Dunkerque class battlecruisers.  The Merlin isn't much different; she looks like an NC 1070 Enterprise that went on a diet.

Her silly looks aside, the Merlin is actually a great aircraft.  Her closest competitor in performance is the RAF Beaufighter, which she beats on speed and turning ability, but loses out on health, DPS and altitude (barely).  The Merlin is a dogfighting heavy fighter, and that role is reinforced by the lack of any ordnance being mountable on the aircraft.  This prevents the pilot from loading her up with bombs and rockets to go chasing ground target points that are best left to the attacker class of aircraft.

The Merlin is capable of countering any German heavy that engages her; their best option against her is to stay out of reach at the highest altitudes and only attack the Merlin if she is already engaged by something else.  The same goes for P-38s.  Light fighters should avoid the Merlin entirely as her agility in the air and the punch and long range of her 20mm rear autocannon will put a 109, P-40 or Spitfire out of the fight in no time, much less the low health offerings Japan and Russia have at tier V.

The Merlin's kryptonite is agile multirole fighters which can mount equipment that will minimize her tailgun's damage potential while also carrying heavy machine guns or cannons that can make quick work of the Merlin's relatively small health pool.

Flown solo or as part of a team the Merlin is a dream to fly and guarantees a good time while generating loads of credits for use in game, even if the pilot chooses to use premium ammo, as I always do.

It's been a great year, everyone!  Merry Christmas, Happy New Year...and, as always...

Good hunting!  :honoring:

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, Paris, 13 Nov. 1787

MelBrooks #2 Posted 22 December 2016 - 07:05 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 29566 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
Good stuff Magus as always....looking forward to your take on the P-80.

MagusGerhardt #3 Posted 22 December 2016 - 08:23 AM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 7455 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostMelBrooks, on 22 December 2016 - 12:05 AM, said:

Good stuff Magus as always....looking forward to your take on the P-80.

I WANT IT.  :izmena:

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, Paris, 13 Nov. 1787

RedSpartacus #4 Posted 22 December 2016 - 12:41 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 17094 battles
  • [GW__S] GW__S

View PostMagusGerhardt, on 22 December 2016 - 04:23 AM, said:

I WANT IT.  :izmena:

No worries, just take a look at the premium shop.
  RUN WITH THE PACK

tyy #5 Posted 22 December 2016 - 09:42 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 25730 battles
  • [BLIST] BLIST
The French made scary things and I have no idea why anyone would think otherwise....though the french used them poorly the Germans WERE intimidated by the Char 2b whose 47mm (shared with the S35) was by far the best anti-tank weapon on offer in 1940...in fact the Char 2 and the Matilda gave the Germans enough of a shock that they began heavy tank program of their own which ended up producing the Tiger.... 

Omega_Weapon #6 Posted 22 December 2016 - 10:03 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 10137 battles
  • [GRIEF] GRIEF

View Posttyy, on 22 December 2016 - 04:42 PM, said:

The French made scary things and I have no idea why anyone would think otherwise....though the french used them poorly the Germans WERE intimidated by the Char 2b whose 47mm (shared with the S35) was by far the best anti-tank weapon on offer in 1940...in fact the Char 2 and the Matilda gave the Germans enough of a shock that they began heavy tank program of their own which ended up producing the Tiger.... 

​Actually it was the British 2 pounder (40mm) anti tank gun that was recognised as the best in the world in 1940. The French certainly had better tank guns than the Germans though.

tyy #7 Posted 23 December 2016 - 09:19 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 25730 battles
  • [BLIST] BLIST
Well yes that was a good gun too until about 41-42...it would have had a better rate of fire than the French gun but i'd be interested in seeing figures showing it had better range and penetration 

tyy #8 Posted 23 December 2016 - 09:23 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 25730 battles
  • [BLIST] BLIST
plus the 2 pounder was badly hobbled by not having an HE round

tyy #9 Posted 23 December 2016 - 09:36 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 25730 battles
  • [BLIST] BLIST

the  2 pounder could penetrate (firing the basic round) 37mm at 500 yards

the 47 Sa 35 penetrates 60mm at a comparable distance

of course later in the war the 2 pounder fired better rounds which pretty much closed this gap

Also tagged with SE100, Guide, Replay, TbM

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users