Rechlin Skunkwerks Report - Curtiss Tomahawk IIB Flying Tiger

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

MagusGerhardt #1 Posted 19 December 2016 - 05:38 AM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 7682 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

Okay, the 2016 Holiday hiatus gets a brief interruption.  Finally had the time to fuss with my new Filmora video editor and got this piece put together with another one pretty close on its heels.

This is the tier V premium Curtiss P-40C Tomahawk IIB "Flying Tiger" that could be acquired through a series of missions the premium shop last month.  Overall, she's an aircraft that I'm very pleased with.

Historically, this is the version of the P-40 Warhawk that was sold to China before America was drawn into World War II.  Many of these planes were flown by the American Volunteer Group in defense of China from Imperial Japan.  These Americans were among the first to devise tactics to fight the menacing and seemingly invincible Mitsubishi A6M1 Reisen, or "Zero" using their allegedly obsolete Tomahawks to effectively combat the superior Japanese dogfighters.  These tactics would prove most useful as the theater of combat spread throughout the Pacific and the United States began deploying more modern aircraft.

The Flying Tiger has nose mounted guns just like its predecessor the Model81 at tier IV, but that is supplanted with a further four 7.62s mounted midway out on the wings.  This increase in firepower makes the Flying Tiger much more capable of securing kills, but it still can take awhile to whittle down a heavy or attacker from full health to fiery wreck.

Style-wise, she's just like the P-40.  Versatile and capable of filling either the boom and zoom or turn and burn fighter role depending upon what she is fighting.  Against a P-40 the Tiger has less firepower and slightly lower speed but edges out the P-40 on maneuvering, so I actually prefer taking the Flying Tiger into a dogfight over the elited P-40.

Remember, though, that this aircraft has Chinese roundels in-game, and as such can only accept a Chinese pilot; your American fighter jock can't fly this thing.  Maybe some day we can earn a Claire Chennault pilot that can pilot both this and a P-40.  :sceptic:

Good hunting!  :honoring:

Edited by MagusGerhardt, 20 December 2016 - 01:49 AM.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, Paris, 13 Nov. 1787

Dave12w #2 Posted 19 December 2016 - 08:19 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 21272 battles
  • [-ES-] -ES-

Nice video, I'm very happy with my flying tigers

p-40 as well.  I recall buying mine though, can't 

remember the mission. Along with the xf4u and

i-180, and lag 3-34 it's one of my favorite tier 5's

Ace_BOTlistic_Cosmo #3 Posted 19 December 2016 - 03:07 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 20734 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC
Very good watch, thanks MG.

if the pilot's good, see, I mean, if he's really..sharp, he can barrel that baby in so low [he spreads his arms like wings and laughs],

you oughtta see it sometime, it's a sight. A big plane like a '52. VRROOM! There's jet exhaust, fryin' chickens in the barnyard.

Psicko23 #4 Posted 19 December 2016 - 04:25 PM

First Lieutenant

• 19607 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-
Nice video. I don't remember seeing a mission for that plane though.

20thCenturyLtd #5 Posted 19 December 2016 - 06:17 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 18543 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
No mission. Was available for limited time purchase in store.

Personnel Officer, Knights of Dracarys

Please PM me if interested in applying or for more information.

MagusGerhardt #6 Posted 20 December 2016 - 01:50 AM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 7682 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostDave12w, on 19 December 2016 - 01:19 AM, said:

Nice video, I'm very happy with my flying tigers

p-40 as well.  I recall buying mine though, can't 

remember the mission. Along with the xf4u and

i-180, and lag 3-34 it's one of my favorite tier 5's

View PostPsicko23, on 19 December 2016 - 09:25 AM, said:

Nice video. I don't remember seeing a mission for that plane though.

View Post20thCenturyLtd, on 19 December 2016 - 11:17 AM, said:

No mission. Was available for limited time purchase in store.

Good catch, guys.  A nice example of me getting frazzled due to holidays and not remembering which way is up.  

At least that happened when I was writing and not when I'm flying!  :P

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, Paris, 13 Nov. 1787

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users