• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

GhostPrime #21 Posted 09 December 2016 - 10:50 PM

Community Coordinator

• Administrator
  • 1334 battles
  • [WGA-B] WGA-B

View PosthvPALANTIRION, on 08 December 2016 - 12:09 AM, said:

Hey Ghost, can I submit an ornament that requires slight assembly upon receipt? About as complex as sliding a couple of cardboard tabs together. If YES, then I could mail the ornament flat, and save a lot of $ on the shipping cost.

As long as its simple! :D I don't mind putting pieces together, as long as it doesn't become my project. I say go ahead, if it saves you on shipping. Please make sure that its clear how it goes together

Please read the WOWP Game and Forum rules.
Forum Rules - Game Rules - EULA - TOS
Find us on Facebook!

cqiyuan #22 Posted 10 December 2016 - 04:55 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 12580 battles
  • [JE] JE

View PostGhostPrime, on 09 December 2016 - 10:50 PM, said:

As long as its simple! :D I don't mind putting pieces together, as long as it doesn't become my project. I say go ahead, if it saves you on shipping. Please make sure that its clear how it goes together

Then its time to announce the winner GP :P

hvPALANTIRION #23 Posted 13 December 2016 - 06:09 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 9857 battles
  • [HV] HV

View PostGhostPrime, on 09 December 2016 - 10:50 PM, said:

-Thanks for your help and understanding GP. Unfortunately the assembly of this particular ornament has become trickier and I'll have to ship it "ready to hang". Simple concept turning PITA due to my own compulsions. Thread with pics to follow asap.

The important detail is UNPACKAGE IT CAREFULLY! It's packed with many pieces of parchment paper as cushions that almost entirely obscure the ornament. So slow and careful.

hvPALANTIRION #24 Posted 13 December 2016 - 06:55 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 9857 battles
  • [HV] HV

Alright, so...I planned to do three ornaments - one for each WG contest. But while this concept was simple it turned out to take WAY longer than my entries last year combined. So I had to pick just one WG contest to enter and WOWP is my favorite title of the three.

The Concept

Last year's theme for me was metal, this year I wanted to try paper. So this concept was to make a 3D "ball" shape out of flat, unique snowflakes leaving enough visual space for the painted decorations to be visible and legible. Each snowflake will be unique (cut by my wife btw) and each side will be painted with a stylization of one of WOWP's six primary nations' battle emblem. One tricky detail was that the German/Japan snowflake required 8 sides instead of 6, and the USA/USSR snowflake required 5 sides. So we had to figure out how to cut those so they would end up symmetrical. The UK/France snowflake is a typical 6-sided design.

p.s. The blue surrounding the USSR red star is a reference to the Russian Christmas color.

The Process

First we cut out the three snowflakes, and some extras to mess up and experiment with. Then I drew the designs for the paint on them. Then I sprayed them moderately heavily with automotive clearcoat - this saturated the paper and prevented it from curling during the next steps. Then I ironed each snowflake to flatten them. The emblem designs were then lined with gold paint markers. After drying they were then painted (by brush) with acrylics, 2-3 coats of each color. Then I custom mixed different metallic powders into acrylic varnish and quickly brushed them over their cooresponding colors for some added BLING. This was done 1-2 times for each color. Then the final clearcoating, after all 6 designs were dried, was done by hanging the snowflakes by twist ties on a hangar. Then another round of ironing. Then the most scary part: Cutting the snowflakes down the middle so they could be fit together. Not enough time to make replacements, so no mistakes could be made. So I did a test with some scratch snowflakes and then cut/fit the real ones together. Unfortunately they were still a bit floppy so I superglued then cut ends so firm up the "ball", which worked similarly to tack-welding. Then I had my wife attach the black hanging string, to avoid my fat fingers' clumbsiness. She also was the brains behind packing it safely into the box - reminicent of the thought put into an egg drop contest, lol.

It sparkles quite nicely when turning, and looks different from every direction. It is not good at being handled, so try to always move it by using the black hanging string. Oh, and everything was scrounged from what I had lying around the house, so it fits the recycling aspect of the contest.

So, hope it arrives safely. And hope you enjoy it. And I hope to find that ellusive JL.

-hvPalantirion

Attached Thumbnails

Edited by hvPALANTIRION, 13 December 2016 - 07:05 AM.

Dsembr_Rein #25 Posted 14 December 2016 - 09:25 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 10149 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-
Just sent in my submission. So far only 2 confirmed submissions on the forums, pretty good odds going.

Edited by Dsembr_Rein, 14 December 2016 - 09:25 PM.

GeorgePatton #26 Posted 15 December 2016 - 04:37 AM

газета

• -Community Ace-
  • 7022 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

Really cool artistic vision and execution there, hvPALANTIRION! I like it!

Cheers!
Glenn

Derpinoid #27 Posted 15 December 2016 - 11:20 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 13874 battles
  • [-BFS-] -BFS-
I was thinking about submitting an entry, but couldn't find a suitable piece of corpolite in time to cut and polish it.

Experience only counts when you're doing it right in the first place.

"When everything goes right, you don't learn anything" NASA rocket tester.

Mind_Eraser #28 Posted 16 December 2016 - 04:34 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 28418 battles
  • [8_AF] 8_AF

View PostDsembr_Rein, on 14 December 2016 - 03:25 PM, said:

Just sent in my submission. So far only 2 confirmed submissions on the forums, pretty good odds going.

:izmena:

Ace_BOTlistic_Cosmo #29 Posted 16 December 2016 - 12:49 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 19816 battles
  • [WHAWK] WHAWK

View PosthvPALANTIRION, on 13 December 2016 - 01:55 AM, said:

So, hope it arrives safely. And hope you enjoy it. And I hope to find that ellusive JL.

-hvPalantirion

wow, well done sir

if the pilot's good, see, I mean, if he's really..sharp, he can barrel that baby in so low [he spreads his arms like wings and laughs],

you oughtta see it sometime, it's a sight. A big plane like a '52. VRROOM! There's jet exhaust, fryin' chickens in the barnyard.

hvPALANTIRION #30 Posted 17 December 2016 - 09:39 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 9857 battles
  • [HV] HV

Very nice Mind_Eraser!

p.s. GP, did mine arrive yet? Should have.

hvPALANTIRION #31 Posted 20 December 2016 - 10:29 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 9857 battles
  • [HV] HV
*bump*

GhostPrime #32 Posted 22 December 2016 - 08:41 PM

Community Coordinator

• Administrator
  • 1334 battles
  • [WGA-B] WGA-B

View PosthvPALANTIRION, on 17 December 2016 - 01:39 AM, said:

Very nice Mind_Eraser!

p.s. GP, did mine arrive yet? Should have.

Yes! We have a lot of Ornaments to go through, and the winners will be posted about the time we return from holiday! Due to the break the time is listed as Before Jan 10th. Thank you to all who sent one in, and have a happy holiday, and New Year. 

Find us on Facebook!

area50one #33 Posted 10 January 2017 - 05:57 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 2846 battles
  • [GWG] GWG
Hey Ghost, today is the 10th of January and nothing posted on the winners of this contest? Still on Holiday Vacay?

GhostPrime #34 Posted 10 January 2017 - 06:37 PM

Community Coordinator

• Administrator
  • 1334 battles
  • [WGA-B] WGA-B

View Postarea50one, on 10 January 2017 - 09:57 AM, said:

Hey Ghost, today is the 10th of January and nothing posted on the winners of this contest? Still on Holiday Vacay?

Nope I'm back!

I apologize for the day on posting, The winners will be posted in the morning, and prizes will go out tomorrow as well. 

Edited by GhostPrime, 11 January 2017 - 01:40 AM.

Find us on Facebook!

GhostPrime #35 Posted 11 January 2017 - 06:52 PM

Community Coordinator

• Administrator
  • 1334 battles
  • [WGA-B] WGA-B

Here are the winners of the Ornament contest!

hvPALANTIRION:

MIND_ERASER:

titan013a:

area50one:

A big thank you to all who entered! 

Find us on Facebook!

Dsembr_Rein #36 Posted 11 January 2017 - 09:33 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 10149 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-

View PostDsembr_Rein, on 14 December 2016 - 04:25 PM, said:

Delivery confirmation

I'm assuming there was a simple oversight since there were 5 prizes and a list of only 4 winners, not including my entry. I'd do this via PM, but the mods have screwed my forum account up to the point I can only read and post.

Edited by Dsembr_Rein, 11 January 2017 - 09:34 PM.

hvPALANTIRION #37 Posted 11 January 2017 - 09:50 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 9857 battles
  • [HV] HV
Sweet! Glad to know my three days paid off. Now...how do I get the JL? (not in hangar atm)

GhostPrime #38 Posted 11 January 2017 - 10:18 PM

Community Coordinator

• Administrator
  • 1334 battles
  • [WGA-B] WGA-B

View PostDsembr_Rein, on 11 January 2017 - 01:33 PM, said:

Delivery confirmation

I'm assuming there was a simple oversight since there were 5 prizes and a list of only 4 winners, not including my entry. I'd do this via PM, but the mods have screwed my forum account up to the point I can only read and post.

I have checked the back end you should be able to PM. I'll see what I can do to fix this. Edit - Try PMing me now

Do you have a picture of your Ornament? I'll check to see if it was misplaced. 

Edited by GhostPrime, 11 January 2017 - 10:23 PM.

Find us on Facebook!

Dsembr_Rein #39 Posted 11 January 2017 - 10:48 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 10149 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-

View PostGhostPrime, on 11 January 2017 - 05:18 PM, said:

I have checked the back end you should be able to PM. I'll see what I can do to fix this. Edit - Try PMing me now

Do you have a picture of your Ornament? I'll check to see if it was misplaced. 

I don't have any photos of the finished product, but I have a mock-up from designing the ornament.

Ornament.jpg

I put in a ticket about my account, they also said nothing was wrong. Logging into my account on computers that I've never used to access the forums gives me the same result; my user name is gray, I can't open my account profile and I have no tab/icon to access PMs. And suddenly as I'm putting this post together my account is fine...

Mind_Eraser #40 Posted 11 January 2017 - 11:03 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 28418 battles
  • [8_AF] 8_AF

View PostGhostPrime, on 11 January 2017 - 12:52 PM, said:

Here are the winners of the Ornament contest

MIND_ERASER:

A big thank you to all who entered! 

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users