Playing while Awol

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Dave12w #1 Posted 23 November 2016 - 01:26 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 117 battles
  • [-ES-] -ES-

In a few days i'll be travelling away from the wife and kids to work for two months in a

City whose main attraction is a Fruit Cannery.

Needless to say in my spare time with little else to do other than read the books i'm taking and contemplating life, I'll play

warplanes a bit.  Though this would be on computers without wowp's installed, and i'd proberly be

unable to install onto them.

I have an external seagate hardrive about 3 years old, does anyway know would this play wowp at an ok speed, and can

you just copy and paste the warplanes folder for it to work from an external hardrive?

Would it be better to get a flash drive Usg to intall onto for better performance?

Thanks

losttwo #2 Posted 23 November 2016 - 02:35 PM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 5412 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

I have no clue.

WOW such an interesting idea if it would work...portable WOWP

RedSpartacus #3 Posted 23 November 2016 - 02:47 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 0 battles

Now that you're away from wife and kids you're planning what, playing WoWp. Sorry I cannot help you :D

There are some files that go into the user account on the computer, not on the external HD.

Then there is the hardware that is different from your computer.

You should be able to just start the game from the HD. As I said, some files are going to the new box, it that is ok.

RUN WITH THE PACK

pyantoryng #4 Posted 23 November 2016 - 02:58 PM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2173 battles

I had transplanted World-of series' clients before...it worked, and on another occasion my computer's OS had to be reinstalled but the clients were still there, and it worked even then, but for some reason Planes wouldn't work on my big computer. I don't think the World-of series require any specific registries to work.

...wait, what are you planning to do? Playing Planes straight from external or copy-pasting the client into destination computer?

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

Dave12w #5 Posted 23 November 2016 - 10:59 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 117 battles
  • [-ES-] -ES-

I was looking to play directly from a external drive.

thanks good to know it would work, though if there

are account files maybe it's better to freshly install

wowp on the external hardrive? Is this correct.

Also does anyone know if the game speed would be 

ok or would a flash USB drive play it better? Thanks

Dsembr_Rein #6 Posted 24 November 2016 - 12:26 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 126 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-

View PostDave12w, on 23 November 2016 - 05:59 PM, said:

I was looking to play directly from a external drive.

thanks good to know it would work, though if there

are account files maybe it's better to freshly install

wowp on the external hardrive? Is this correct.

Also does anyone know if the game speed would be 

ok or would a flash USB drive play it better? Thanks

I believe the only bottleneck you'd have with either an external HDD or a flash drive would depend on which generation of USB you've got, and all that would affect is your loading times at the beginning of battle.

pyantoryng #7 Posted 24 November 2016 - 12:20 PM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2173 battles

I would recommend against playing for an extended period directly from external...they don't have ventilation and therefore risk to break faster...

I don't know about account files...but the client should automatically create the registries that are needed by itself without installing...after all, installing seems to be just copypasta of the client files from the main server...

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users