Nvidia drivers crashing

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

raulv04 #1 Posted 08 November 2016 - 06:10 PM

First Lieutenant

• 0 battles

My Nvidia drivers keep crashing whenever I run any video application. This has been happening since last summer, and yes, I cleaned my computer, checked my video card for any dust and checked each and every voltage coming into my motherboard. Everything looks normal and the updates for the drivers have been normal, no major drama while downloading or installing. My video card is an Nvidia GE Force GTX 750 Ti with updated drivers (375.70).

I currently have Windows 10 with two monitors and extended desktop. When running any video, my screen goes black for some seconds and then comes back again. I have WoWP installed, and my screen also goes black after some time to recover later. Sometimes, both monitors remain black and I have to restart my computer. The guys at Nvidia Customer Support are not very helpful; they always give me copy and paste responses. I even checked my power supply and it's running fine. I have a 650W Coolermaster power supply, which is a year old. Also, this happens when running other games and even when I watch YouTube videos. I get some BSODs when running videos (WHEA_Uncorrectable_Error), but never when playing any game.

I'm at loss about what's happening here; I tried everything, from dusting my computer with compressed air myself to having everything checked by my technician. Of course, I cannot play anything. A funny thing is that WoWP is still running after my monitors go black. When they recover, my hangar is there. I haven't ventured into battles yet because of this. I've been on some training rooms by myself with bots, but that's as far as I've gone.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. :honoring:

MARS_REVENANT #2 Posted 08 November 2016 - 06:18 PM

Colonel

• 809 battles
  • [SICK] SICK

View Postraulv04, on 08 November 2016 - 01:10 PM, said:

My Nvidia drivers keep crashing whenever I run any video application. This has been happening since last summer, and yes, I cleaned my computer, checked my video card for any dust and checked each and every voltage coming into my motherboard. Everything looks normal and the updates for the drivers have been normal, no major drama while downloading or installing. My video card is an Nvidia GE Force GTX 750 Ti with updated drivers (375.70).

I currently have Windows 10 with two monitors and extended desktop. When running any video, my screen goes black for some seconds and then comes back again. I have WoWP installed, and my screen also goes black after some time to recover later. Sometimes, both monitors remain black and I have to restart my computer. The guys at Nvidia Customer Support are not very helpful; they always give me copy and paste responses. I even checked my power supply and it's running fine. I have a 650W Coolermaster power supply, which is a year old. Also, this happens when running other games and even when I watch YouTube videos. I get some BSODs when running videos (WHEA_Uncorrectable_Error), but never when playing any game.

I'm at loss about what's happening here; I tried everything, from dusting my computer with compressed air myself to having everything checked by my technician. Of course, I cannot play anything. A funny thing is that WoWP is still running after my monitors go black. When they recover, my hangar is there. I haven't ventured into battles yet because of this. I've been on some training rooms by myself with bots, but that's as far as I've gone.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. :honoring:

When I was having Vid Card issues I was able to borrow a spare vid card from work.  After I changed it out everything ran fine so I determined that is was something with the card, not the drivers.  Any chance you have a spare card or can borrow one from someone?

I know you said you have already done this, but it doesnt hurt to ask, when you removed the drivers for a fresh reinstall did you use the Nvidea driver removal utility?  Did you remove all nvidea entries from registry and from absolutely everywhere on your PC? Including start-up applications?  I have found that vid drivers run deep and are had to completely get rid of.

Here is a utility to remove the drivers http://www.guru3d.co...r-download.html

Here is an article that lists all the different places nvidea can hide http://www.tomshardw...rs-install-ones

If you have already gone through all that I would think it is a hardware issue.  You can try downloading some bench marking software that will log your vid card performance during the test.

1.9.x Forum Stats: Colonel; Member; 34638 battles; 7,526 message_img.pngMember since: 01-26-2012

I never lose; either I win or I learn.

Claudio67 #3 Posted 08 November 2016 - 06:27 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Open Beta Tester
  • 28 battles
Be sure to make a restore point if you're gonna use that driver remover, it screwed my computer and took a while to restore it.
Have you tried on single monitor setup?

raulv04 #4 Posted 08 November 2016 - 06:27 PM

First Lieutenant

• 0 battles

Thanks, man, I'll try that and will let you know. I do have a spare card, but it's very old, a GT8800; I'll give it a try. I also tried uninstalling the drivers and installing them again with the driver removal utility. However, I didn't know the drivers ran very deep, so I'll take a look at that link you posted. Thanks! I'll post later how this went.

Hey, Claudio. No, I haven't tried a single monitor setup, that's a good idea too! :)

Edited by raulv04, 08 November 2016 - 06:28 PM.

MARS_REVENANT #5 Posted 08 November 2016 - 06:35 PM

Colonel

• 809 battles
  • [SICK] SICK

View PostClaudio67, on 08 November 2016 - 01:27 PM, said:

Be sure to make a restore point if you're gonna use that driver remover, it screwed my computer and took a while to restore it.
Have you tried on single monitor setup?

You should also look at the maximum resolution your vid card can support, and adjust your monitor or dual monitors accordingly.  Having each display set to the max resolution may be more than your card can handle.  You might have to lower resolution for each to match the card.  This is reaching though, most cards can easily support 2 monitors.  Doesnt hurt to check.

1.9.x Forum Stats: Colonel; Member; 34638 battles; 7,526 message_img.pngMember since: 01-26-2012

I never lose; either I win or I learn.

DInk_Spinkley #6 Posted 08 November 2016 - 07:07 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 0 battles
  • [-BFS-] -BFS-

I haven't installed 375 yet, but I had a lot of issues with Fallout 4 that were fixed in 373. 

Run the installation again and choose custom installation and check the box that says "clean install" or words to that effect.

The problem is, blaming drivers is a red herring. It's not the drivers that have a compatibility problem, it's the program that you're running. "Try updating drivers" was an old get-them-off-the -phone tech support answer that had little merit, unless you were installing a program newer than the drivers.

Blinking like that is usually a sync error. Go into the NVIDIA control panel and make sure your refresh is set to 60hz.

Don't forget to make sure the cables are secure at both ends. Even an HDMI connector can be bad.

You've left a lot of information out to help you specifically, but these are some general things to try.

edit:

Here are the symbols for the WHEA error.Plug in the number and it'll clue you in.

Edited by DInk_Spinkley, 08 November 2016 - 07:09 PM.

RIP World of Warplanes

raulv04 #7 Posted 08 November 2016 - 07:10 PM

First Lieutenant

• 0 battles
Hey, Dink. What specific info do you need? It's not the monitors blinking, it's the monitors reporting they have no signal (they go black) and after a few seconds the signal comes back. Let me know what else you need and I'll tell ya. Thanks!

Zapperguy #8 Posted 08 November 2016 - 08:49 PM

First Lieutenant

• -Community Ace-
  • 23 battles
  • [CLOWN] CLOWN

How big is your power supply?

That's a fairly beefy card that will require a bit of juice. Maybe unplug anything that may be sapping power eg:charging phones, flash drives, external HDs, or anything else extra you may have plugged in and see if it changes anything. If you go down to 1 monitor does it still happen?

raulv04 #9 Posted 08 November 2016 - 10:06 PM

First Lieutenant

• 0 battles
Hey, Zapperguy! I haven't tried only one monitor yet. Uninstalled and installed the drivers again in a clean install. They keep crashing... My power supply is a Coolermaster of 650W. I have an external drive and two monitors. Thing is that since around summer the drives have been crashing and I haven't updated my hardware recently. I'll try one monitor and external drive unplugged as soon as I finish working.

ArrowZ_ #10 Posted 09 November 2016 - 05:55 AM

First Lieutenant

• Open Beta Tester
  • 10 battles

Reading through the past few posts here, it seems you haven't tried to roll back to previous driver versions. Also trying everything would include doing a complete windows reformating/restore to a point where you had nothing but the windows essentials (no apps, games, programs etc). That's one option to think about if rolling back to previous drivers isn't working. I would recommend backing up your data though if you have multitudes of apps/games/music/videos/work etc in your PC that you can't afford to lose. Also checking the connectivity of your GPU into the motherboard could also be the issue. I've had some nvidia driver issues couple weeks ago with 375.70. This driver was optimized for the release of Titanfall 2, Dishonored 2, Obduction, 2 COD games. Rolling back to the 375.63 driver fixed my GPU performance issues. Ofcourse it could have a completely different affect to your PC. But if you know how to do it properly it could solve your issues here.

Just run the DDU Uninstaller mars gave you, but put your PC in safe mode first. And choose the "Clean & Restart" option as recommended by the app. Once your PC is completely booted just install the previous driver that worked for you and wait for nvidia to calm down with these crappy updates. Honestly my PC was running just fine in 60+ FPS before all this 375.70 [edited].

If this doesn't work then... RIP raul's PC. Good luck in fixing it!

That Ozi Client Side Lagger

Zapperguy #11 Posted 09 November 2016 - 04:07 PM

First Lieutenant

• -Community Ace-
  • 23 battles
  • [CLOWN] CLOWN

Any idea hot hot things are running in your case? Some devices shut down to prevent damage from overheating. Something else to consider with all these good suggestions. It kind of goes hand in hand with my earlier suggestion with your power supply. Too low voltage or too high temperature can shut down both GPUs and CPUs.

Derpinoid #12 Posted 09 November 2016 - 08:27 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 2 battles
  • [-BFS-] -BFS-

Seriously, that sounds like the power supply, add the summer part and you get unstable power due to thermal degrade of the filter caps BTW, get a corsair to replace it.

(If you check the spec, you'll find you are under running the 5 volt rail, notoriously weak in coolermaster products)

PS. while we're on the topic, if you actually give a crap about your system, use enermax, or PC power and cooling. Both companies test and burn in at 50c, best hold up is PC power and cooling, best recovery is enermax, both are very solid on protection circuits. Here's the skinny, if the power supply fails in a catastrophic way, it can cook every single device attached to it in a millisecond. Choose wisely.

Edited by Derpinoid, 09 November 2016 - 08:59 PM.

Experience only counts when you're doing it right in the first place.

"When everything goes right, you don't learn anything" NASA rocket tester.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users