TbM Pilot Academy Video Guide

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

MagusGerhardt #1 Posted 07 October 2016 - 06:19 PM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 187 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

At the request of Ghostprime I am collecting all of my Pilot Academy videos in one location for easy access to our rookie pilots.  So, without further fanfare, here are all of the Pilot Academy videos I have produced to date.  More will be added to this post as they are made.  I have many more videos available for viewing at my site, http://www.TrialByMagus.com Drop by, subscribe to get notice of when new videos are posted and comment on things you would like to see.  My video library contains action videos without commentary, reviews of specific planes along with demonstration battles and the occasional peek into WG's other titles, Warships and Tanks.

My Youtube site is also where you can easily find all of my Rechlin Skunkwerks reviews.  These are videos dedicated to aircraft that are not normally available in game; some are preorder or tester reward aircraft, others were gifts from contests or mission completions and yet others were limited-time sales only.

In this episode of Pilot Academy I cover the most basic aspect of the game; the Hangar and Barracks UI, which a player must at least be knowledgeable with to go on to play the game.

In the hangar one can see how much premium time they have remaining, acquire additional premium time, view how many players are online, review their WG Wallet for gold levels, check silver credit levels and see how much free xp is available for use in Warplanes and Tanks.

From the Hangar you can also view and manage your entire fleet of aircraft, organizing them by any of a number of criteria, or not organizing them at all.  

The hangar is where all xp earned in battle is managed and spent to advance through the game; this is also where customizations to crew and aircraft are handled.

If I missed anything, please leave a comment and I'll provide an answer at the earliest opportunity.

With patch 1.9.5 Warplanes introduced an entirely new Crew Skill system, moving closer to the model of Warships and farther away from what we see in Tanks.

The new skills are more varied and allow for greater customization of skills between different aircraft.

A complete review of each skill is offered here, complete with what equipment synergizes best with them, what aircraft types they are best used on, and which ones are a high priority to obtain.

Good hunting!  :honoring:

Edit:  The patch I refer to here is in error; I should have said 1.9.5, but I can only suppose that I was brain fried after 48 hours of nonstop testing of the crew skills in live matches and training rooms.  Then there was the four time off-recording rehearsal I did before creating the video that further cemented the oversight into my narrative.  Mea culpa.

Hey, all!  In this episode of Pilot Academy I'm going to be taking a look at a particular sort of attack that we all see from time to time but no material has really been made to address.  I'm talking about ram attacks.

In general terms, the ram attack is a move made for one of two reasons; desperation or a coldly calculated tactical decision.  Rams made out of desperation rarely end well for the pilot initiating them as his aircraft most likely is already in bad shape and is most likely a poor choice for initiating physical contact.  The coldly calculated ram generally ends better for the initiating pilot as he has weighed the chances of success ahead of time.

In the current iteration of the game there are three major factors that determine the results of a collision between aircraft.

1.  Aircraft classification.  Ground Attack aircraft are the most sturdily built airframes we have at our disposal in Warplanes, so they fare best when contact is made.  Heavy fighters are a distant second, though they are much tougher than multirole or light fighters.  Multirole fighters are only slightly better off in a collision than light fighters.

2.  Aircraft health at time of ram.  Every ram will reduce the health of your aircraft; also how healthy your aircraft is when a ram is initiated adds to the damage you will inflict on the other aircraft.

3.  Point of contact.  There are two parts of your aircraft you can ram with; the wings or fuselage.  The wings are considered a "soft" part of your aircraft and will not inflict as much damage to yourself or your target when you collide.  The fuselage is considered a "hard" target and will inflict massive damage to yourself and your target, very likely damaging your engine(s) and injuring your crew.

Using your aircraft as a man controlled missile is harder than it sounds, as the Japanese discovered when the idea was floated to use novice pilots as guidance systems for aircraft that had been turned into flying bombs.  The Kamikaze program at the end of the Pacific war did wreak havoc and will be remembered in history forever, but the amount of damage inflicted for the materiel that was committed was quite lackluster.  So, if hitting large slow moving ships with a maneuverable aircraft is difficult, it is exponentially trickier to get the collision to work between two planes without some amount of cooperation from your target.  Either that, or a total ignorance on the part of your target of your intent to ram them.

May most of your battles go well enough that you don't have to resort to these tactics, but remember what you've seen here for those (hopefully) rare occasions of total desperation.

Pilots, Veterans and Rookies alike I present to you Magus' Pilot Academy.  This is a new sub-series of my guide/review videos that will be aimed at benefiting our newest pilots and helping them to acclimate to their surroundings here in World of Warplanes.  The goal of this series is to grant knowledge without the use of hundreds to thousands of battles in vain trying various things at random.

I will release an extremely basic Academy video within the next few days that will explain how to navigate the hangar and barracks UI in Warplanes, but for today I wanted to show our newest pilots how they can benefit from flighting up; especially if they have laid down fifty bucks or more acquiring a high tier premium fighter aircraft or converting free xp to reach an aircraft they have always wanted.

Also included in this video are suggestions on how to properly coach the bots on your team to increase chances of a win and accidental teamwork from the AI aircraft that fill up the battle rosters; bots flying aggressively and packed together is useful to you whether you are a lone wolf or a teamwork rockstar.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, Paris, 13 Nov. 1787

dmarsha9 #2 Posted 07 October 2016 - 07:13 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-
Time to pin GP

Noreaga #3 Posted 07 October 2016 - 08:16 PM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
yup, pin please.

Nimis obnoxii curare

MagusGerhardt #4 Posted 07 October 2016 - 08:42 PM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 187 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View Postdmarsha9, on 07 October 2016 - 12:13 PM, said:

Time to pin GP

View PostNoreaga, on 07 October 2016 - 01:16 PM, said:

yup, pin please.

Thanks, guys.  It was pinned the minute GP got back and saw my message that the thread had been created.  :great:

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, Paris, 13 Nov. 1787

Noreaga #5 Posted 07 October 2016 - 08:48 PM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostMagusGerhardt, on 07 October 2016 - 03:42 PM, said:

Thanks, guys.  It was pinned the minute GP got back and saw my message that the thread had been created.  :great:

then mods feel free to delete my posts, so we don't clutter the thread

Nimis obnoxii curare

FreeFOXMIKE #6 Posted 26 February 2017 - 11:36 AM

G.A.T.P. (Global Alpha Test Pilot)

• 560 battles
  • [332ND] 332ND
:great::great:

332 Virtual  Fighter  Group

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users