New player, couple of questions

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

andrertav4 #1 Posted 04 October 2016 - 07:57 PM

Airman Basic

• 0 battles
Hey guys, I've just started playing WoWp again after playing about 50 battles about a year ago, I really loved the game but the rubberbanding issues on my brazilian network just killed my will to play the game, and now that these seem to be solved I'm gonna try and give the game another chance.

I would just like to have a few things aswered beforehand.

1. Are there big advantages to playing with a jotstick over M + KB? What setting do most of the better players use?

2. I read somewhere that it's important to bind pitch up to a key and make turns using A or D + pitch up, is this the best option? Is this the only adjustment I should do on the controls if playing with M + KB??

And last but not least, is it worth it to play this game at all? I really like it, but the population seems so small I'm afraid to invest even a little in it.

Psicko23 #2 Posted 04 October 2016 - 08:04 PM

First Lieutenant

• 14 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-

Well, the population is small. They added bots to fill out the games. As far as controls go, it is probably split between joystick and mouse and keyboard. I like joystick better. I feel more in control. The only time you have to bind a pitch up key is if using a mouse and keyboard. 

Give the game a try, that's the only way you will know if you like it. Give it at least another 50 battles or so to get used to the game. If you don't like it, no worries. 

Kiwiav8r #3 Posted 04 October 2016 - 08:06 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 119 battles
  • [ACES_] ACES_
Yes the population is small, but the community here is one of the best I've ever encountered in any game, period.  That's why I keep coming back even though I don't play the game much any more.

"Credibility down, Kill Ratio up!" - Joe 'Hoser' Satrapa

Aces (pre v1.9):  Bulldog, A4N, Hawk III, F2A-1, I-16(e), Skua, Ar68, A6M1, P-36, XF4F-3, Bf-109B, Bf-110B, Bf-110 C6, Blenheim, Bf-109E, Bf-110E, P-40, P-40 M105, XFL-1, Spitfire I, M.20, Beaufighter, IL-2 (mod), XF4U-1, Mosquito, P-51A, Yak-7, Yak-1M, Bf-109F, La-5, Spitfire V, Me-410, F4U-1, Fw-190 A5, Yak-9, XP-50, P-39Q-15, Mustang Mk 1, P-38J, P-51D, Yak-9U, Bf-109G, La-7, Spitfire IX, A7M, Fw-190D, F7F, Yak-15, Me-262

Dsembr_Rein #4 Posted 04 October 2016 - 08:24 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 107 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-
If you're used to playing any first or 3rd person games with M/KB, stick with that. I have Q bound to pitch up, and yes, when turn fighting you want to roll and pitch up to turn.

BrushWolf #5 Posted 04 October 2016 - 08:27 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 52 battles
  • [GWG] GWG
In general a joystick user can fly better at the cost of slightly less accurate shooting and the reverse for Mouse + KB being able to shoot slightly better but not fly as good. Your mileage may vary but if you decide to try a JS don't go overboard as a simple inexpensive stick like the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro and the like are just fine for this game. The more complicated setups that you would use in a sim will work if you have one already but you will be more on your own setting it up.

I used to have a handle on life until it broke off.

“The church is near but the road is icy, the tavern is far away but I will walk carefully”

Russian Proverb

Carronade32 #6 Posted 04 October 2016 - 08:29 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 36 battles

Hello andrertav4!

1.  I play with a M + KB.  I have tried a joystick and For Me it just doens't work well for this game.  Probably something about the third person view and not a cockpit view.

What I found is that a M + KB makes it easier to shoot enemy planes.  While I believe you can be more maneuverable with a joystick.  I have a Logiteck Xtreme pro joystick and I have used it several times but I always go back to M + KB.

You just have to try both and see what works for you.  Create a training room and fly with both as that way you are 'under no pressure' to do well or win.

2.  If you use a M + KB I would strongly suggest you bind an easy to use key ( I use the space bar ) for pitch up!

I have found that I turn the fastest using this key bind.  It beats moving your mouse across your desk and still not knowing if you are at maximum pitch.

And flaps and speed control help in turning.

I have A and D set to rolling my plane left and right.

Of course there are other controls you can adjust or change:

In the control panel I would suggest turning off automatic flaps!

Spoiler

And in Advanced setting you can control pitch and yaw ( how the plane responds to mouse input ).

Spoiler

But to be honest that damn thing always confused me and I found a flat line across works best for me.

Best advice:   Try different settings in a training environment and find what works best for you.

Edited by Carronade32, 04 October 2016 - 08:32 PM.

xenofoxx #7 Posted 04 October 2016 - 08:44 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 25 battles

Welcome back,

I tend to play more casually than most people here. I stick with the mouse and keyboard and haven't really messed with the bindings.

And yeah, the community is small, but seems to be a good loyal group and pretty friendly.

gl & hf

Xenofoxx - World of Warplanes - Closed Beta Tester

Noreaga #8 Posted 04 October 2016 - 08:51 PM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View Postandrertav4, on 04 October 2016 - 02:57 PM, said:

1. Are there big advantages to playing with a jotstick over M + KB? What setting do most of the better players use?  

Others see it differently, but to me mouse is much much easier to learn, very very hard to make work for you against the top players. since 1.5 mouse has not really been the same and can't be finessed as much as it could. Joystick is hard to get the hang of, but with enough practice you will be significantly better off than a M+KB of the same skill.  Ill post my mouse set up tonight. I still think that M+kb is best for long range shooting, but looses out in a knife fight (has to do with the dead area around the cursor and you can play with that)

2. I read somewhere that it's important to bind pitch up to a key and make turns using A or D + pitch up, is this the best option? Is this the only adjustment I should do on the controls if playing with M + KB??
What works for you? A and D for roll, S for no engine W for boost, some do Q and E for rudder (i don't ), i change space bar to my large caliber guns, change right mouse button from free look to the free look that will point your plane at the cursor when you release RMB, and leave the rest.Remember that when you are flying M+KB you are trying to fool the AI into doing what you want, more than actually flying the plane. 

And last but not least, is it worth it to play this game at all? I really like it, but the population seems so small I'm afraid to invest even a little in it.
keep in mind that i am not playing right now, because of various reason the biggest being boredom. This is a really fun game that you can play with zero investment besides time, there is actually no reason to put any money into this game whatsoever before you are ready for a T8 premium. Tokens can be used to by premium time for all titles, and despite the size this is one of the more fun internet communities. Id say give her a try, it grabbed me for over 3 years.  

Its like golf you can play 50 games for that 1 good game, that 1 game will keep you coming back for another 200.

most importantly have fun and flight up with one of the great guys here.

Edited by Noreaga, 04 October 2016 - 09:35 PM.

Nimis obnoxii curare

losttwo #9 Posted 04 October 2016 - 09:46 PM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 0 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

About population.

Don't worry about it. You will get matches with in less than a 2 minute time frame.

Wargaming has added BOTS to fill out many of the battles.

Some matches will be 9 BOTS + 1 Human per side.

All BOTS names are distinguished by the " proper " naming format such as Capitol instead of capitol.

Mouse and Keyboard.

Personally i fly with Mouse and Keyboard so as to lock the horizon.

I suffer motion sickness using a joystick which locks on the plane.

Is it worth the time investment or even to spend money.

I feel like it is a good time investment if you like fast paced flight genre games other than simulators.

If you want to spend money for premium time or premium planes. Well, all I can say to that is " Don't be shy "

I have personally spent a couple hundred on this game and have no regrets doing so.

Cowboyhiho #10 Posted 05 October 2016 - 05:34 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 257 battles

Welcome. Don't rush up the tiers, get experience. I play for free and I don't feel out spent. I hope you enjoy the game as much as me. hiho 

:honoring:

Psicko23 #11 Posted 05 October 2016 - 05:48 AM

First Lieutenant

• 14 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-

View PostBrushWolf, on 04 October 2016 - 12:27 PM, said:

In general a joystick user can fly better at the cost of slightly less accurate shooting and the reverse for Mouse + KB being able to shoot slightly better but not fly as good. 

once I adjusted to the joystick, I had a much better accuracy. I think with m and k I was usually around 10-20%. With joystick I'm. Usually 20-30%, and I broke 40% without shooting ground targets. My accuracy has gone up. 

I use the logitech 3d pro as well. It works good enough for me.

BrushWolf #12 Posted 05 October 2016 - 04:19 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 52 battles
  • [GWG] GWG

View PostPsicko23, on 05 October 2016 - 12:48 AM, said:

once I adjusted to the joystick, I had a much better accuracy. I think with m and k I was usually around 10-20%. With joystick I'm. Usually 20-30%, and I broke 40% without shooting ground targets. My accuracy has gone up. 

I use the logitech 3d pro as well. It works good enough for me.

Just like with fuel mileage ratings, YMMV.

I used to have a handle on life until it broke off.

“The church is near but the road is icy, the tavern is far away but I will walk carefully”

Russian Proverb

Snoticus #13 Posted 05 October 2016 - 04:34 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 0 battles
  • [SF] SF

tlhIngan maH! Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam!

SOLOSHOOTER #14 Posted 05 October 2016 - 06:45 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 127 battles
  • [R-A-W] R-A-W
lots of good advice in here... here is my logitec 3d pro settings,i have made some fine tuning since this video..but it should get you off in the right direction.

:facepalm:SOLOSHOOTER

eject................. and ill leave you alone     o7  

DrPain_2017 #15 Posted 26 May 2017 - 11:16 PM

Airman Basic

• 665 battles
  • [FK] FK

Good Day People:

New to game and need an answer.....the premium planes.....are they upgradeable?? For example the X4FU...doesn't seem to have upgrades available. Are premium planes as is.

I really need to get myself into a Corsair but I have a choice, I can buy the premium, buy the necessary gold to move me down the tech tree. Or of course I could do nothing and wait for the experience to build but that is long wait. 

What is the best move here.????

thanks for you help

Zapperguy #16 Posted 27 May 2017 - 12:31 AM

First Lieutenant

• -Community Ace-
  • 23 battles
  • [CLOWN] CLOWN

View PostDrPain_2017, on 26 May 2017 - 06:16 PM, said:

Good Day People:

New to game and need an answer.....the premium planes.....are they upgradeable?? For example the X4FU...doesn't seem to have upgrades available. Are premium planes as is.

I really need to get myself into a Corsair but I have a choice, I can buy the premium, buy the necessary gold to move me down the tech tree. Or of course I could do nothing and wait for the experience to build but that is long wait. 

thanks for you help

If you want to be more successful, taking your time and grinding is the way to go. Premiums don't generally have any upgrades available other than rockets and bombs on certain planes. You can buy a higher tier plane, but you can't buy the skill and experience needed to fly it effectively. You've barely started, take your time. Read my post in this thread; it may help. http://forum.worldofwarplanes.com/index.php?/topic/48993-boarderline-unplayable/page__pid__679946#entry679946

Dru83 #17 Posted 27 May 2017 - 01:11 AM

Master Sergeant

• 176 battles
  • [X3M] X3M

Dr Pain, the premium planes are not upgradable. You don't need to get yourself into a corsair, you want to. It would be better if you just grind the experience. If you're new to the game, I wouldn't spend real money on it until you have experienced it for a while and are sure it's a good investment.

The XP you earn on a premium plane does nothing unless you use gold to convert it to free xp. You can however, click a little box in the crew screen that will send an elite or premium plane's xp to your crew members instead of to the plane. So, a premium plane can be helpful to level up a pilot a tiny bit faster than normal. A tier V premium plane would get you into the next tier bracket for earning daily rewards from missions. But, I really don't see the need to spend actual real money on premium planes.

The normal corsairs in general are powerful boom and zoom fighters. If you're not used to boom and zoom tactics, it can be frustrating for a new player. The corsairs have great speed and durability, but can't turn for anything, so you have to dive on an enemy and then quickly speed away. You can't turn fight in a corsair, unless you're against a heavy fighter or other slow turning plane. The xf4u is a prototype version with much weaker guns. Its guns are weaker than an upgraded F4F's guns, though it is better than the F4F in terms of speed. I would stay away from the XF4U, but that's just me.

I have not purchased any premium aircraft, yet I have several. If you stay in the game enough, you'll be around when they give away premium planes. By the way, not all of the premium planes are necessarily better than the standard planes of their tier.

As to your earlier questions, I play with M+KB. I tried using a joystick, but I had issues controlling my planes and quickly went back to M+KB. There is a section in the forums here where folks talk about changes to key settings that they have made. I use C + V for my rudder controls, and I think assigning rudder controls is super important as using rudder in a turn can help you turn quicker. I use my space bar for my secondary weapons. This means in a plane with cannon and MGs, I can fire just my MGs while I wait for the cannons to cool off. I use G+H for selecting targets, which is what C+V are normally used for. I have not assigned a key to pitch up... I find I do ok with just using the mouse to pitch up, but to each their own.

I definitely feel this game is worth it. I have always loved flying games and have much more success here than in tanks or ships. Plus I really like the special opportunities to earn premium planes or tokens or gold or special pilots, etc. that are in this game. There's a really good community on here and once you've gotten used to the game a little, you should try to get into a clan. Be aware that while smaller clans are easier to get into, it is much harder to find people to fly with in a smaller clan. Clan buddies can give you advice in game and stage learning fights in the training rooms.

Psicko23 #18 Posted 27 May 2017 - 05:17 AM

First Lieutenant

• 14 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-

View PostDrPain_2017, on 26 May 2017 - 03:16 PM, said:

Good Day People:

thanks for you help

the xf4u-1 premium does not fly like the regular corsair line in this game meta. The xf4u-1 flies like how the corsair line used to fly before it was made into a multi-role plane. Premium planes already come as upgraded as possible, with the exception of adding rockets or bombs to some.

As far as premium goes, not all of them are going to be OP(with a few exceptions). Wargaming tried to make the premiums not overpowered to reduce the pay to win factor. However, even if a rookie is in an op plane, if they have no idea what they are doing, they will still lose. The xf4u-1 is fast, but does not have that great of guns. I personally like it. If you get used to it, and then you get the tier 6 corsair, it will be different.

You are new. as someone who was once new, I know the urge to rush up to get better planes is very real. However, if you aren't doing well in the current planes, you will most likely do worse in higher tiers. a better plane does not equal better results if you don't know what you are doing. Also, if you fly a variety of planes, you can learn the strengths and weaknesses of each plane. So when you are in one plane and come across a variety of planes, you know how to deal with them better. It looks like you are flying mostly the corsair line and are doing decently well in the f2a, but the jump to the f4f isn't quite as good. Not trying to rag on you. If you start flying other planes, you will be more well rounded. If you get an ace everyday, you get a token, same with getting a destroyer or thunder. You can use these tokens for more hangar slots which cost 18 tokens. You can get 18 tokens every 6 days if you get an ace, destroyer, and a thunder each day.

cddlbunny0 #19 Posted 27 May 2017 - 11:09 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 57 battles
  • [335TH] 335TH

I agree with Psicko on that. This is not WoT where they go down one line to get to the Tier X as quick as you can. Myself, I tend to clear the tiers first and use the plane from that tier to get to the next one. It may take longer, but what the hey. Do not forget to take advantage of the anniversary mission you get with the plane. It will help you learn how to effectively use it later. Just go through to the end of it and you will become a better pilot in it. 

Edited by cddlbunny0, 27 May 2017 - 11:10 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users