• Open Beta Tester
  • 15691 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC
Bwahahaha!

MelBrooks #82 Posted 22 October 2016 - 10:00 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 30354 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC
JINN....we were all fractured those first several weeks. I went back through our screenshots and battles. For five weeks straight, we had to have 21 to 24 pilots, three teams, ready at any time. Some of those were feints, but most were real battles. That was the part of clan wars that I truly liked above all. To be successful, you had to have commitment from your members. Many of our guys knew that most likely that might have to go do a feint or not fight at all, but it was the overall clan and team that was the most important. I learned a lot about my guys. Win, lose, draw, or no battle at all.....they for the most part stayed committed to help their clan in whatever task was assigned to them. I could not be more proud of them.

20thCenturyLtd #83 Posted 22 October 2016 - 10:14 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 18543 battles
Whoever said "quitters never win" obviously never participated in community run events around here.

GiN_nTonic #84 Posted 22 October 2016 - 10:52 PM

Captain

• 19668 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-

View PostPhyllisDiller, on 22 October 2016 - 10:00 PM, said:

JINN....we were all fractured those first several weeks. I went back through our screenshots and battles. For five weeks straight, we had to have 21 to 24 pilots, three teams, ready at any time. Some of those were feints, but most were real battles. That was the part of clan wars that I truly liked above all. To be successful, you had to have commitment from your members. Many of our guys knew that most likely that might have to go do a feint or not fight at all, but it was the overall clan and team that was the most important. I learned a lot about my guys. Win, lose, draw, or no battle at all.....they for the most part stayed committed to help their clan in whatever task was assigned to them. I could not be more proud of them.

I'm glad you guys had a good run of it.  I'm serious.

However, our experience could not be more different.  We had excellent turnout for the first couple weeks and after getting few battles many of our guys didn't feel it was worth it to rearrange their schedules to sit in a room waiting for another team that didn't show up.  I attended 3 straight weeks of the event and played once.

Personally, I think the key to a successful community event for our NA server is one that is ULTRA-simple and straightforward.  Team "X" meets Team "Z" on a certain date/time and just keep track of W/L.  You could throw in a playoff at the end, but beyond that I wouldn't restrict plane types and just randomly select tiers from 6-10.

The MAP based event makes it too labor intensive on the Admin side and too many rules (attack/defend) to fight over.

Edited by JlNN, 22 October 2016 - 10:54 PM.

Agnotology #85 Posted 23 October 2016 - 12:47 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 6669 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostJlNN, on 22 October 2016 - 05:52 PM, said:

I'm glad you guys had a good run of it.  I'm serious.

However, our experience could not be more different.  We had excellent turnout for the first couple weeks and after getting few battles many of our guys didn't feel it was worth it to rearrange their schedules to sit in a room waiting for another team that didn't show up.  I attended 3 straight weeks of the event and played once.

Personally, I think the key to a successful community event for our NA server is one that is ULTRA-simple and straightforward.  Team "X" meets Team "Z" on a certain date/time and just keep track of W/L.  You could throw in a playoff at the end, but beyond that I wouldn't restrict plane types and just randomly select tiers from 6-10.

The MAP based event makes it too labor intensive on the Admin side and too many rules (attack/defend) to fight over.

I am mentally working on the re-writes that would allow more attacks per week, while spreading the matches out over a 2 hour block. Having people not show to battles due to lack of activity hurt CCW as a whole - it happened to everyone, so the activity that was being demanded by it was too high. 

keeping it to two 2 of each kind is in my opinion necessary. #1 goal of CCW's is get people back into the game, flying. If you remove those restrictions, there is no purpose in people playing pubs to grind planes to have for CW's - there will only be 1 to 3 planes used in each tier, and once you have those, flying pubs is just something to do for fun, with no real purpose in mind. In a few words, there aren't enough people playing to allow a sandbox rule set to be fully taken advantage of.

Edited by Agnotology, 23 October 2016 - 12:49 AM.

GiN_nTonic #86 Posted 23 October 2016 - 06:09 AM

Captain

• 19668 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-

View PostAgnotology, on 23 October 2016 - 12:47 AM, said:

I am mentally working on the re-writes that would allow more attacks per week, while spreading the matches out over a 2 hour block. Having people not show to battles due to lack of activity hurt CCW as a whole - it happened to everyone, so the activity that was being demanded by it was too high. 

keeping it to two 2 of each kind is in my opinion necessary. #1 goal of CCW's is get people back into the game, flying. If you remove those restrictions, there is no purpose in people playing pubs to grind planes to have for CW's - there will only be 1 to 3 planes used in each tier, and once you have those, flying pubs is just something to do for fun, with no real purpose in mind. In a few words, there aren't enough people playing to allow a sandbox rule set to be fully taken advantage of.

I agree with your comments.  My question though is - why do you feel we need a map based CCWs?  This assumes you are still thinking this way, though you dont specifically say that.  Id love to see the next version more straight battles every week so we can plan and commit to players they will play if they show up.  Trying to manage teams at the last min. isn't efficient for where this game is currently IMO.

Agnotology #87 Posted 23 October 2016 - 09:47 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 6669 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostJlNN, on 23 October 2016 - 01:09 AM, said:

I agree with your comments.  My question though is - why do you feel we need a map based CCWs?  This assumes you are still thinking this way, though you dont specifically say that.  Id love to see the next version more straight battles every week so we can plan and commit to players they will play if they show up.  Trying to manage teams at the last min. isn't efficient for where this game is currently IMO.

In so many words, without a map, it isn't clan wars. Just another tournament.

GiN_nTonic #88 Posted 24 October 2016 - 12:16 AM

Captain

• 19668 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-

View PostAgnotology, on 23 October 2016 - 09:47 PM, said:

In so many words, without a map, it isn't clan wars. Just another tournament.

I understand that is historically the case with WoT, but most games that have clan wars dont have maps.  We could call it a League if that makes more sense for people.  I can tell you this community has yet to see a map based competition not end in major conflict.  However, we have had tournaments and other formats end reasonably amicable - not all of them, but some.

If we have to manage this as a community I think it needs to be super simple.  Why not try the next round as a simple "league" version with a playoff at the end?

Agnotology #89 Posted 24 October 2016 - 01:13 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 6669 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

I would support a league "in addition to" as opposed to "in lieu of"

Edit: this way, more fights!

Edited by Agnotology, 24 October 2016 - 01:14 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users