I-180-3 Video Replay Guide Review

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

MagusGerhardt #1 Posted 16 September 2016 - 08:51 PM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 187 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

Here she is, the Polikarpov "Super Donkey".  Historically the aircraft was a proposed upgrade to the Polikarpov I-16, which had been in service with the Red Air Force prior to the Spanish Civil War and was in need of replacement by the time Operation Barbarossa was underway.  The I-16 was hopelessly outmatched and obsolete compared to the German Bf 109 and 110s invading the skies of Mother Russia.  Polikarpov, attempting to take the most economical route in upgrading the Red Airforce, decided to see if the elderly I-16's useful lifecycle could be extended by modernizing as much as possible while still retaining as much of the old mass produced airframe as possible.  The I-180-3 did perform admirably in tests, but the changes to the interior of the airframe, the new engine and new guns would mean that all I-16s then in service would have to be completely rebuilt and the I-16 production plants taken offline for a complete rework to produce what was in effect a completely new aircraft.

The project was cancelled and new aircraft design and production was moved away from Polikarpov and more resources were given to Lavochkin, Yakovlev and Mikoyan-Gurevich for producing the aircraft of a modernised Red Air Force.  Thus ended the I-180-3's footnote in history and with it the influence of the Polikarpov design bureau.

In game the Super Donkey is very much like an I-16 moved up to tier V.  Similarities are an insane roll rate and pitch ability compared to her peers, and while the Super Donkey is faster than the 16 she is still slower than almost everything else she will encounter.  Her guns have been moved entirely into the nose of the aircraft, so her firing pattern is much tighter than those of her early cousins, allowing for excellent damage output at close range even without having heavy cannons.  If you intend to fly this bird, make certain to keep your evasion abilities sharp as she is fairly light on health and while her engine and pilot are better protected than those on the 16 she still can't take solid punishment without *something* breaking.  But for a pilot with their head on a swivel and excellent aim and situational awareness this aircraft is a terribly fun thing to fly and can give your enemy fits while they try to get a good lead on you.

Good hunting!  :honoring:

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, Paris, 13 Nov. 1787

GhostPrime #2 Posted 16 September 2016 - 09:30 PM

Community Coordinator

• Administrator
  • 19 battles
  • [WGA-B] WGA-B
Well done, video! The I-180-3 is a great little plane, very fun to fly and can be quite deadly in the right hands!

Please read the WOWP Game and Forum rules.
Forum Rules - Game Rules - EULA - TOS
Find us on Facebook!

MagusGerhardt #3 Posted 16 September 2016 - 10:58 PM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 187 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostGhostPrime, on 16 September 2016 - 02:30 PM, said:

Well done, video! The I-180-3 is a great little plane, very fun to fly and can be quite deadly in the right hands!

Thanks, GP.  Nice to have a WG tag as the first post here!

Oh, and since I didn't say it in the video...if you players who did not obtain her for free the last time around from the Warcache mission have $10 to spare in your gaming budget for September...buy this plane!  Sure, she doesn't play to the dominant meta of tier V and VI, but that doesn't keep her from being fun and performing well and producing wins!

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, Paris, 13 Nov. 1787

Ace_BOTlistic_Cosmo #4 Posted 16 September 2016 - 11:32 PM

First Lieutenant

• 116 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC
I have to say that I can just about never watch one of your videos without wanting to fire up the game and play... a trigger.

if the pilot's good, see, I mean, if he's really..sharp, he can barrel that baby in so low [he spreads his arms like wings and laughs],

you oughtta see it sometime, it's a sight. A big plane like a '52. VRROOM! There's jet exhaust, fryin' chickens in the barnyard.

Dave12w #5 Posted 16 September 2016 - 11:44 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 36 battles
  • [-ES-] -ES-

Nice video, the I-1803 is deffiently a keeper

and worth having, though I don't seem to notice

an issue with speed, it seems to be faster than 

the zeros and other russian fighters. The xf4u

is my best tier 5 premium and close on its heals is

the I-180, they can both dominate battles

obamaphone #6 Posted 18 September 2016 - 12:05 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 0 battles
  • [GW__S] GW__S

View PostAce_BOTlistic_Cosmo, on 16 September 2016 - 06:32 PM, said:

I have to say that I can just about never watch one of your videos without wanting to fire up the game and play... a trigger.

This!.... Well done vid.

Agnotology #7 Posted 23 September 2016 - 03:34 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 538 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

totally filing a copyright claim for stealing my video ;)

nice video magus, as always

MagusGerhardt #8 Posted 23 September 2016 - 06:04 AM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 187 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostAgnotology, on 22 September 2016 - 08:34 PM, said:

totally filing a copyright claim for stealing my video ;)

That's high praise coming from you, Agno.  :)

MelBrooks #9 Posted 26 September 2016 - 11:52 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 6 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

When does Magus actually produce a lousy video is the real question, and the answer would be never.

MagusGerhardt #10 Posted 27 September 2016 - 12:34 AM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 187 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostRuthBuzzi, on 26 September 2016 - 04:52 PM, said:

When does Magus actually produce a lousy video is the real question, and the answer would be never.

I've been forced to put out a few with questionable framerates.  That's about it.

Oh, and my dull boring midwestern accent and the "uh" verbal tic that comes with it.  :P

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users