Wifi / Wifi vs Wifi / tehtered modems

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

losttwo #1 Posted 07 September 2016 - 09:46 AM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 0 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

In my family I am running 1 single Verizon 54Mb/s Wifi.

That is all I ever needed until a couple of months ago.

Currently we have 3 tablets, Graphics Computer ( work ) , Normal computer ( school ) , Laptop and a PS4.

This is of course a complete latency issue when trying to run several systems on a single router.

My question are :

Should I waste the money and add 2 tethered ( non-Wifi ) modems while maintaining a single Wifi.

For any of you that run a PS/4. What is the minimum  X Mb/s you run and do you have latency issues

with multi-player games.

Do any of you run 2 PS/4 ( 1 for you and 1 for your son ) are there any conflicts.

I was thinking about getting my own PS4 and monitor for Xmas to play with and against my son.

I cant stand split screen or sharing a screen.

Do any of you run Wifi in the Gb range and how is it with running more than one system on the net.

WOWP is the only MMO I play and can only play it when no one else is tapped into the Wi-fi

Playing WOWP of course is not a primary reason to dish out money to make a game playable.

However with all the systems running in the house.

Xfinity has a really good package that includes home security and am wondering if anyone

has experience with it.

Just wondering what peoples experience's are rather than just going by my research and sales people.

After all sales people will tell you anything to get the sale.

Edited by losttwo, 07 September 2016 - 09:47 AM.

Steel_bomber_ #2 Posted 07 September 2016 - 02:16 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 0 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G
Can't you connect a Lan cable to your pc? 
THIS PAGE
INTENTIONALLY
LEFT
BLANK

RedSpartacus #3 Posted 07 September 2016 - 02:29 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 0 battles
  • [GW__S] GW__S

There was a point in lost's life when he gave up on

attaching new cables to his house.

RUN WITH THE PACK

losttwo #4 Posted 07 September 2016 - 02:34 PM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 0 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G
roflmao.....exactly

dityboycom #5 Posted 07 September 2016 - 04:08 PM

Colonel

• 1 battle
  • [BAGG] BAGG
Gaming on general use wifi equipment is not going to be a good time. Verizon sells a high speed wifi router for $200 cash, or you can rent it. Pick it up, issue will be resolved, barring any information you let out. You have plenty of bandwidth, just not the right hardware.

Caecias #6 Posted 07 September 2016 - 04:29 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 117 battles
  • [-DOW-] -DOW-

View Postlosttwo, on 07 September 2016 - 04:46 AM, said:

Currently we have 3 tablets, Graphics Computer ( work ) , Normal computer ( school ) , Laptop and a PS4.

This is of course a complete latency issue when trying to run several systems on a single router.

My question are :

Should I waste the money and add 2 tethered ( non-Wifi ) modems while maintaining a single Wifi.

For any of you that run a PS/4. What is the minimum  X Mb/s you run and do you have latency issues

with multi-player games.

Do any of you run 2 PS/4 ( 1 for you and 1 for your son ) are there any conflicts.

I was thinking about getting my own PS4 and monitor for Xmas to play with and against my son.

Do any of you run Wifi in the Gb range and how is it with running more than one system on the net.

WOWP is the only MMO I play and can only play it when no one else is tapped into the Wi-fi

Playing WOWP of course is not a primary reason to dish out money to make a game playable.

Xfinity has a really good package that includes home security and am wondering if anyone

has experience with it.

Just wondering what peoples experience's are rather than just going by my research and sales people.

I would suspect your SoHo / router device before adding to what is plenty of bandwidth.  Buy a good router.

Edited by Caecias, 07 September 2016 - 08:19 PM.

Psicko23 #7 Posted 07 September 2016 - 05:11 PM

First Lieutenant

• 14 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-

I have 2 computers(my gaming computer and wife's computer) both hardwired, 2 laptops, 2 roku styled items, 2 tabet like things, and two cellphones attached to wifi. The phones are the only thing consistently hooked up to wifi. I live in an apartment with one provider of Internet available. I have 40mb dsl. The only time I had a problem was a few sunday nights when that last season of Game of Thrones was on. 

Hardwire everything you can with  lan cable. 

*edit. Wait, you have real computers and you are playing this game on a laptop? 

Edited by Psicko23, 07 September 2016 - 05:13 PM.

Gang_Starr #8 Posted 07 September 2016 - 08:31 PM

Captain

• 0 battles
  • [BAGG] BAGG
Just run a ethernet cable to your PC and enjoy.

Tenks

losttwo #9 Posted 07 September 2016 - 10:00 PM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 0 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

View PostPsicko23, on 07 September 2016 - 12:11 PM, said:

I have 2 computers(my gaming computer and wife's computer) both hardwired, 2 laptops, 2 roku styled items, 2 tabet like things, and two cellphones attached to wifi. The phones are the only thing consistently hooked up to wifi. I live in an apartment with one provider of Internet available. I have 40mb dsl. The only time I had a problem was a few sunday nights when that last season of Game of Thrones was on. 

Hardwire everything you can with  lan cable. 

*edit. Wait, you have real computers and you are playing this game on a laptop? 

Yes but I refuse to run games on my work computer.

GhostPrime #10 Posted 07 September 2016 - 11:40 PM

Community Coordinator

• Administrator
  • 19 battles
  • [WGA-B] WGA-B
I'm not sure about a minimum. As a personal rule, I don't go under 50 Mbps for gaming and all others. (I currently have a 180Mbps down connection)  I leave my two desktops connected through wires, and the PS4, and Xbone wireless. The Xbone has a higher cap, but does not work well with Comcast/Xfinity wireless routers. I always recommend getting your own modem/router.  (It will save you $$ in the long run) 

Please read the WOWP Game and Forum rules.
Forum Rules - Game Rules - EULA - TOS
Find us on Facebook!

losttwo #11 Posted 08 September 2016 - 08:10 AM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 0 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

So basically what i am getting is to get off my lazy behind and run some Red Sparticus into the various rooms to hard wire everything.

Get a better modem with a minimum download speed of 180 Mbs and add a NetGear Wifi router to the modem.

Thanks for a the answers.

Caecias #12 Posted 08 September 2016 - 02:34 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 117 battles
  • [-DOW-] -DOW-

View Postlosttwo, on 08 September 2016 - 03:10 AM, said:

So basically what i am getting is to get off my lazy behind and run some Red Sparticus into the various rooms to hard wire everything.

Get a better modem with a minimum download speed of 180 Mbs and add a NetGear Wifi router to the modem.

Thanks for a the answers.

180 Mb/s is more than enough bandwidth (its overkill actually) - so is 58 Mb/s

You need a router with the appropriate switching fabric, memory and cpu....  hard wiring is more secure and faster but its about the router quality.  Spill the extra beans on a high end router before you try adding a second discrete point-to-point connection. 

Look at a good Cisco professional router; Asus makes some nice high-end gaming routers as well (multi-core cpu's and ample memory).  NetGear switching fabric is meh.

Edited by Caecias, 09 September 2016 - 12:42 AM.

dityboycom #13 Posted 08 September 2016 - 02:51 PM

Colonel

• 1 battle
  • [BAGG] BAGG

View PostGhostPrime, on 07 September 2016 - 07:40 PM, said:

I'm not sure about a minimum. As a personal rule, I don't go under 50 Mbps for gaming and all others. (I currently have a 180Mbps down connection)  I leave my two desktops connected through wires, and the PS4, and Xbone wireless. The Xbone has a higher cap, but does not work well with Comcast/Xfinity wireless routers. I always recommend getting your own modem/router.  (It will save you $$ in the long run) 

Lets play xbox!

I promise to only to attempt to befriend you for free gold, and not to bash you about WG products.

losttwo #14 Posted 08 September 2016 - 04:27 PM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 0 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

View PostCaecias, on 08 September 2016 - 09:34 AM, said:

180 MBs is more than enough bandwidth (its overkill actually) - so is 58 MBs

You need a router with the appropriate switching fabric, memory and cpu....  hard wiring is more secure and faster but its about the router quality.  Spill the extra beens on a high end router before you try adding a second discrete point-to-point connection. 

Look at a good Cisco professional router; Asus makes some nice high-end gaming routers as well (multi-core cpu's and ample memory).  NetGear switching fabric is meh.

I will take a look at them both. ( Cisco, Asus )

Bobby_Tables #15 Posted 08 September 2016 - 06:57 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 603 battles
  • [-DOW-] -DOW-

I am not sure if anyone mentioned using a powerline ethernet adapter, but I have one hard wired directly to my Uverse router through an AC outlet and then down to a 4-port powerline adapter downstairs hooked to my TV, Media PC and Blu Ray player.  My kid plays Minecraft on the Media PC with acceptable results. 

The powerline adapters were once very flaky but the more recent ones are pretty decent.  I am thinking you could try using a 2-port one for your PS/4s.  Once or twice I have played it on my Media PC with the powerline connector and did not see any noticeable lag. 

I also use a separate, higher capacity wireless router as opposed to the one from Uverse.  It was a consumer based one, not professional, but handles things well. 

pigeon_kicker #16 Posted 12 September 2016 - 10:49 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Open Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [SF] SF

View Postlosttwo, on 07 September 2016 - 04:46 AM, said:

My question are :

with multi-player games.

has experience with it.

I have about the SAME EXACT setup that you have, and here is how i made it work.

We have a WiFi account with Xfinity, Always around and usually a good connection.  I actually tried the security package, you can do better than theirs.  Get one online that has the same stuffs and will connect to your router either thru WiFi or Thru Wired connection.  No rental fees and you can set options that Xfinity locks out.

If the Verizon Hub has a wired connection available for network, plug that into the internet in port on another wifi router.  The router will imply the QoS (Quality of Service) to the routing, this will decrease lag spikes as the router will attempt to balance the load of all devices connected.  Now the video users wont grab up all of the bandwidth, Be sure to connect your devices to the new router, not the Verizon Hub.

My sons Xbox plays well above 512Kbs.  You can connect multiple Xboxes to the same Internet source, just be sure to create a new Xbox Live account for his.

As far as the Gb range, this usually has no ill effects with the B/G/N ranges, range A may give you some trouble.

And GhostPrime is correct, If you go with Xfinity, get your own Cable modem/router in one, I like the ZooM models.

PK

Edited by pigeon_kicker, 12 September 2016 - 10:51 AM.

If you want to make god laugh, tell him about your plans for survival..

Lead developer for the NACCW web site. Author of the Pigeon Pak Mod Installer

www.team-sf.com

losttwo #17 Posted 12 September 2016 - 11:16 AM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 0 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

View Postpigeon_kicker, on 12 September 2016 - 05:49 AM, said:

I have about the SAME EXACT setup that you have, and here is how i made it work.

We have a WiFi account with Xfinity, Always around and usually a good connection.  I actually tried the security package, you can do better than theirs.  Get one online that has the same stuffs and will connect to your router either thru WiFi or Thru Wired connection.  No rental fees and you can set options that Xfinity locks out.

If the Verizon Hub has a wired connection available for network, plug that into the internet in port on another wifi router.  The router will imply the QoS (Quality of Service) to the routing, this will decrease lag spikes as the router will attempt to balance the load of all devices connected.  Now the video users wont grab up all of the bandwidth, Be sure to connect your devices to the new router, not the Verizon Hub.

My sons Xbox plays well above 512Kbs.  You can connect multiple Xboxes to the same Internet source, just be sure to create a new Xbox Live account for his.

As far as the Gb range, this usually has no ill effects with the B/G/N ranges, range A may give you some trouble.

And GhostPrime is correct, If you go with Xfinity, get your own Cable modem/router in one, I like the ZooM models.

PK

Awesome , Thanks PK

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users