XP-58 Chain Lightning Replay Review TbM

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

MagusGerhardt #1 Posted 02 September 2016 - 10:04 PM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 7682 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

This review was actually requested of me some time ago, back when the Chain Lightning was a fresher face around these parts.

It was slow in happening because...unlike her lower tier sisters the XP-58 didn't perform well for me to begin with.  In particular her guns just refused to connect with any target for me for the longest time.  Then Waffles pointed out to me that my problem was likely the terrible dispersion of those guns and that I should violate my own rules in this case and utilize Aiming equipment and even accuracy pilot skills.

That does indeed make a large difference with this bird and I began to see a turnaround in my performance in her soon after I made these adjustments.  Aside from the silly stupid bad accuracy of her main guns flying this aircraft feels like flying a P-38 that's been on a heavy regimen of warplane steroids.  Being an American heavy, she's meant to do battle with other heavy fighters and win the high altitude fight before joining the scrum at mid altitude where her 50 cal rear guns can lay a hurting on already damaged dogfighting lights and her quad 37mm frontal cannons can evaporate anything that holds still in front of her for longer than a second or two.

The quad forward cannons are also tailor-made for wrecking the battle for enemy attack aircraft.  You have enough firepower and resilience to clean out defending enemy AA installations and can eat attacker tailgunner fire all day long.

Overall, not the *best* plane at tier VIII, but she is still very good at what she is meant to do.

Good hunting!  :honoring:

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, Paris, 13 Nov. 1787

MagusGerhardt #2 Posted 03 September 2016 - 12:34 AM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 7682 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

And misspelled a contributor's name.

Sorry, PhoinexFire.  The inner spelling bee champ won out this time.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, Paris, 13 Nov. 1787

PhoinexFire #3 Posted 03 September 2016 - 12:37 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 9130 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostMagusGerhardt, on 03 September 2016 - 12:34 AM, said:

And misspelled a contributor's name.

Sorry, PhoinexFire.  The inner spelling bee champ won out this time.

All good, Magus. That's what my name was intended to be, anyway. LOL

Dsembr_Rein #4 Posted 03 September 2016 - 12:53 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 10526 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-
That FPS display is a lie, that battle was actually hard to watch. First half was informative, though, as always.

MagusGerhardt #5 Posted 03 September 2016 - 01:26 AM

Horten Test Pilot

• -Community Ace-
  • 7682 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostDsembr_Rein, on 02 September 2016 - 05:53 PM, said:

That FPS display is a lie, that battle was actually hard to watch. First half was informative, though, as always.

Yeah, that definitely came out less than 25 fps.  Sadly this is the best I can do until my videocard and motherboard are on speaking terms again.

ArrowZ_ #6 Posted 03 September 2016 - 04:39 AM

First Lieutenant

• Open Beta Tester
  • 9911 battles
What happened to the FPS? Nice review nonetheless. Makes me want to get it. But the gold price ingame isn't worth it imo.

That Ozi Client Side Lagger

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users