What is your tier preference?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

General_Lee_Miserable #21 Posted 02 September 2016 - 05:03 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 320 battles

View Postdityboycom, on 02 September 2016 - 05:01 PM, said:

your plane is constantly moving, via vibrations, pilot inputs, engine inconsistencies, or wind. The aim reticle is a reference point, and not expected to be pin point as if you were sitting stationary in a tank.

I understand that. I was merely pointing out that other factors are involved. 

GouIdy #22 Posted 02 September 2016 - 05:06 PM

First Lieutenant

• 6 battles

View Postdityboycom, on 02 September 2016 - 01:01 PM, said:

your plane is constantly moving, via vibrations, pilot inputs, engine inconsistencies, or wind. The aim reticle is a reference point, and not expected to be pin point as if you were sitting stationary in a tank.

You are putting way too much thought into dispersion for this game as the only things that matters is a set of values the programmers assign to each plane & a heavy dose of RNG.

mnbv_fockewulfe #23 Posted 02 September 2016 - 05:14 PM

Captain

• 595 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

View Postdityboycom, on 02 September 2016 - 04:54 PM, said:

The reason high tier players are much better than low tier players is you learn to use the lead indicator as a starting point, not a target. As you garner more experience you won't even notice the lead indicator exists most the time. Also have to predict your targets movements over your rounds travel time with larger cannons. Typically It's better to hold your fire while you chase, as when you fire massive cannons they actually slow your plane down.

Yeah, I understand that. Only had the plane for half a hundred battles. Let me get used to the guns.:D

View PostDrewthesteelman, on 02 September 2016 - 04:58 PM, said:

dispersion plays a large part in it too. I don't use sniper view but I tried it on the J8M. When you see those bullets going off in all sorts of random directions, aiming so much isn't the issue. It's getting in close enough.

The tail blocks the view of my target in sniper view in the Ta 183. :playing::hiding:

Be sure to check your logic privileges before posting on the forum.

CrazyHeinz #24 Posted 02 September 2016 - 05:15 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1 battle
  • [DRACS] DRACS
Prefer 10s. At 4 or lower I feel like I am punching my kid sister.

dityboycom #25 Posted 02 September 2016 - 05:27 PM

Colonel

• 1 battle
  • [BAGG] BAGG

View PostGouIdy, on 02 September 2016 - 01:06 PM, said:

You are putting way too much thought into dispersion for this game as the only things that matters is a set of values the programmers assign to each plane & a heavy dose of RNG.

I wanted to make it sound cool, much like WG would explain it to us.

Noreaga #26 Posted 02 September 2016 - 05:46 PM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 8 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

tiers 6-9 doing well up there still feels a little difficult, 4 has some fun planes.

i dislike tier 1,2,3,5,10 

1-3 for the obvious reason of just too easy

5 no idea but i just don't do well in most of those

10 what is the point?

Nimis obnoxii curare

BrushWolf #27 Posted 02 September 2016 - 06:33 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 80 battles
  • [GWG] GWG

View Postdityboycom, on 02 September 2016 - 11:02 AM, said:

I played a few birthday missions yesterday and I remembered why I didn't enjoy low tiers. I am genuinely curious too hear some reasons people prefer the tiers they do.

T1- T4

I just can't get down with the git down. It takes for ever to get to an engagement, and then once you get there, you have one opportunity to make a good decision, and should you make the wrong one the games over in an instant because there are 8 other guys shooting at you at once. Team mates are largely irrelevant because the planes are more or less all the same, and the few that aren't are so drastically different that all the other planes either poop on it, or can't keep up.

T5- T6

The worst part about T5 is playing against T6 planes that were balanced to play against T8 planes. The second miserable point is the unrecoverable aspect of the game. Generally speaking after the initial climb and patiently waiting for the enemy, once the fight starts everyone dives to the deck nearly immediately, and none of the planes have the power to change the dynamics of the fight. Nothing is more boring than spinning in circles on the deck for the entire game evading the same targets who are also spinning in circles just to get half a second of gun time in. I'm sure this very style of dog fighting is why there were so many causalities in early wars.

T7 - T8

This is when the game starts to open up and get enjoyable. Planes are starting to separate themselves from the pack, dynamics are interchangeable, and engagements can be effected dynamically by every plane in the game. The fight can start high, end low, or start low, and end high. Ground Attack planes are finally starting to be useful, heavies are identifiable against not so heavies, light fighters have their own dynamics, and don't more or less all feel the same, and you may run into lower tier planes you can poop on; but, if you run into higher tier planes you can hold your own.

T9- T10

The bread and butter of this game. The planes are fast, unique, offer the ability to be creative, and do something different every game. Engagements aren't static, games are dynamic, and strategy plays a huge part because you can flex from one side to the other.

View PostGang_Starr, on 02 September 2016 - 11:16 AM, said:

Anything below tier 9 is a chore to fly, not enjoyable and only there for birthday missions - which I bot until I get the free exp.

1 - 3: Are great fun but it is seal clubbing so I try to limit my time there to doing my dailies. Now running into one of the professional seal clubbers and handing them their rear is quite enjoyable. I think we should all spend some time here so the new players see the planes used correctly which neither the bots nor the seal clubbers do, the bots because they are bots and can't adapt when things outside of their programming happen and the seal clubbers because while they are usually insanely good shots are rarely good flyers at the same time.

4- 6: This is the meat of the game and where most of the iconic planes from the era are. Here you are less likely to be completely dominated in both speed and maneuverability.

7 - 8: Still fun but you also start seeing the sharks from 9 - 10.

9 - 10: The same problems as 7 - 8 combined with the great white sharks that inhabit these tiers, sharks that will leap on mistakes that you don't even know you made and destroy you in seconds.

Edited by BrushWolf, 03 September 2016 - 01:43 AM.

I used to have a handle on life until it broke off.

“The church is near but the road is icy, the tavern is far away but I will walk carefully”

Russian Proverb

Mackunaima #28 Posted 02 September 2016 - 06:55 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3 battles

View Postmnbv_fockewulfe, on 02 September 2016 - 01:39 PM, said:

I've just gotten my first tier 9 a few weeks ago and I must say, getting used to the high tier play has been very interesting. I just had a win streak (which I botched yesterday) where I flew mostly just the Ta 183. You know the funny thing? It was mostly because of my bots. I found that flying towards the sun and then cutting in had almost every time secured the win for my team. I had to do very little survive and get a win. Anyway, the breath taking speeds are what really make it fun for me.

I notice something interesting about high speed chasing. Two times I was chasing a bot F2H at speeds exceeding 700km/h and I found it extremely hard to land any shots (running the 30s). It was about 230m in front of me each time and we were traveling at the same speed because it wasn't getting away from me. Despite our relative speeds being practically zero, every little movement it made was able to throw my aim way off because of how much you travel when going 700km/h. Have any tips for high speed aiming?

edit: for me the highest tier I was at was the rage, until I got to a higher tier.

View Postmnbv_fockewulfe, on 02 September 2016 - 02:14 PM, said:

Yeah, I understand that. Only had the plane for half a hundred battles. Let me get used to the guns.:D

The tail blocks the view of my target in sniper view in the Ta 183. :playing::hiding:

First of all, don't use sniper mode for LF's in high tier, specially for cannon. Sniper mode make it feels like you are more accurated, but RNG will be widely more unfair to you as you are "geeting close to target" it should works in the opposite way, but don't do. So just don't use it in LF's, sniper more are good for long range guns shooting far away some related stationary target.

Sniper mode can be your main problem when you were trying to shot that F2H. So, to start on the right path, dont try to shot him when he is turnning hard. Wait a few second for him to get a straight path and give him some shots. As soon as you can get used to it you will predict the moves letting you compensate moves a way faster.

Try to do decent shots instead missed shots.

"Certainty of death. Small chance of success. What are we waiting for?" - Gimli

Mackunaima #29 Posted 02 September 2016 - 06:57 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3 battles

I like to play 8 and 9's. I don't like to much 10', ther are not a way better then 9's to make it worth and most of them need to rely on speed. I don't like to much to stay running away and coming in sneak mode. I like to scare them all and stay very close.

I like to smell them all.. lol

"Certainty of death. Small chance of success. What are we waiting for?" - Gimli

mnbv_fockewulfe #30 Posted 02 September 2016 - 07:32 PM

Captain

• 595 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

View PostMackunaima, on 02 September 2016 - 06:55 PM, said:

First of all, don't use sniper mode for LF's in high tier, specially for cannon. Sniper mode make it feels like you are more accurated, but RNG will be widely more unfair to you as you are "geeting close to target" it should works in the opposite way, but don't do. So just don't use it in LF's, sniper more are good for long range guns shooting far away some related stationary target.

Sniper mode can be your main problem when you were trying to shot that F2H. So, to start on the right path, dont try to shot him when he is turnning hard. Wait a few second for him to get a straight path and give him some shots. As soon as you can get used to it you will predict the moves letting you compensate moves a way faster.

Try to do decent shots instead missed shots.

The exception would be Ta 152 at long range.

Be sure to check your logic privileges before posting on the forum.

BuffaloTime #31 Posted 02 September 2016 - 09:35 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 11271 battles
  • [OWSS] OWSS

wait for it.

wait for it.

wait for it.

The Buffalo is there.

The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.
Damon Runyon

Demons run when a good man goes to war.

Psicko23 #32 Posted 03 September 2016 - 01:25 AM

First Lieutenant

• 24 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-
I prefer the higher tiers 7-10. Although there are some fun planes in lower tiers that I use for my dailies.

Bobby_Tables #33 Posted 03 September 2016 - 01:53 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 6616 battles
  • [-DOW-] -DOW-

My favorite tier is T9 at present.  I do not fly T9 all the time and my stayyytzzz stink in that tier.  I like it because of the speed of action and the fact that even though the speed is up, it's still dogfighting. 

A lot of this has to do with watching "Dogfights" or similar shows since childhood.  Gun camera footage really started to get good in the Korean war and a lot of the dogfights I have seen are well replicated in the game.  At least it feels more like those battles.  The whole energy management, quick deflection shots, planes flipping out of the kill zone at the last second really appeals to me. 

My only complaint is that in later years, all the gun or plane camera footage always had a red blinking light on the plane.  I want that red blinking light.  If not on T9 then at least on T10.  That would make the game for me.  Screw clan wars, end game content, or other enhancements that would make the game better.  Give me a blinking light on my high tier planes. 

Edited by Bobby_Tables, 03 September 2016 - 01:53 AM.

ArrowZ_ #34 Posted 03 September 2016 - 03:24 AM

Captain

• Open Beta Tester
  • 1049 battles

8 and 9. Particularly the F2H because I know I can abuse my client side with it & people will whine because their 50ms ping can't do sh!t. :)

That Ozi Client Side Lagger

Agnotology #35 Posted 03 September 2016 - 03:53 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 627 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostArrowZ_, on 02 September 2016 - 10:24 PM, said:

8 and 9. Particularly the F2H because I know I can abuse my client side with it & people will whine because their 50ms ping can't do sh!t. :)

Problem with client side is that now your PC tells the game if you hit. No possible ways to abuse that, right?

Edited by Agnotology, 03 September 2016 - 03:53 AM.

ArrowZ_ #36 Posted 03 September 2016 - 03:54 AM

Captain

• Open Beta Tester
  • 1049 battles
Sometimes my PC says I miss with client side. Then the server catches up a second later & registers damage resulting in that poor scrub to die in flames. Success.

Edited by ArrowZ_, 03 September 2016 - 03:54 AM.

That Ozi Client Side Lagger

4winds04 #37 Posted 03 September 2016 - 04:53 PM

Master Sergeant

• 3808 battles
  • [X3M] X3M

Me, I'm a bread and butter kind of guy!  I prefer the middle tiers, like 4 through 7.  I still have all my planes and I do fly my lower tiers often, but as someone else referenced to sucker punching their little sister,  It does pretty much amount to seal clubbing!  I'm not saying I'm Mr fighter pilot extraordinaire, master of the skies, but these guys are truly babies to the sport.  At tier 4 most people have some experience under their belts and present a much more substantial challenge and the planes get much better.  I like the challenges of flight where your plane is NOT a super machine that can stand on its head all the way to 10,000 feet.  I plot and plan my attack

, trying to stay above the battle and pick off those fools who dive to the deck. Then I don't have to struggle to climb, because I'm already the highest plane!  I just think these are the more challenging/entertaining tiers to fly!

Tier 8 and higher to me are just too expensive to run and maintain.  Everything from ammo to paint jobs costs a fortune and your gained returns for your time in battles is largely negated by the offset of operating costs.  I have a friend who plays tanks and he tells me all the time that tier 8 and higher tanks usually cost you money to use!  He also told me that most of the higher tier tanks go to war as rumbling junk cause no one (except the god like tankers) can afford to completely fix/upgrade them.  So I'll stick to my money makers and just have fun with it.

Psicko23 #38 Posted 04 September 2016 - 10:51 AM

First Lieutenant

• 24 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-

4winds, why are you paying for ammo when you have standard ammo for free? Also,  you don't have to pay for paint jobs. In warplanes it's not super expensive to fly the higher tiers. As long as you kill a plane or two and get some decent damage. 

Not sure how it is in tanks, but im pretty sure you have to get your plane fully repaired if you die in the previous game. I have mine set to auto repair and resupply. I'll have to check more on the repair stuff later.

Bandet #39 Posted 06 September 2016 - 03:51 PM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

Tier 10 sucks. Everyone can climb too fast for limited altitude envelope.

Tier 9. Good balance between everything. Light fighters aren't just fodder to heavies, they have speed and maneuverability.

Tier 6 is fun for flying OP planes as many planes in this tier either suck or don't.

Tier 5 no good cuz u fight tier 6 which is just miles ahead of everything you can do.

Tier 4 good for quick credit farm 

To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.

EspressoForHammy #40 Posted 06 September 2016 - 06:59 PM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 4 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

Tier 5 is so fun for me. I enjoy the challenge of tier 6s I fight against, and sometimes I get to poop on 4s. Tier 7 is another tier I like, for the exact same reasons.

View PostBuffaloTime, on 02 September 2016 - 04:35 PM, said:

The Buffalo is there.

Oddly enough, I also like tier 4 because the Buffalo is there. Check my games played in it if you don't believe me.

"More fun than a three-legged mouse covered in hash oil."  "This is like taking my p38 through a cloud of loose stools... watta mess."

- A55 BOTlistic Commie (Both quotes!)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users