The Skill Gap Is Too High - New Players Quit Too Quick

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

Rosebud #41 Posted 30 August 2016 - 09:25 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 12 battles

View PostDesmios, on 30 August 2016 - 06:00 AM, said:

For a new player against an experienced one -- and for some reason many experienced pilots fly low tiers --- WoWp is a horrible experience.

It is hard to control without a joystick (+hard in general).  Then there are a TON of controls to know.  People don't know what half the stuff does anyway.  Bots are no fun to face.

Then to top that off, some veteran player comes in your T2/3/4 game and completely wrecks you before you do any damage.

This is not like other games where a new player can have a CHANCE against a veteran player; you just get absolutely 100% wrecked; no hope.

While I understand your frustration, you have made some statements that are just not true. Your belief that they are may be hindering your enjoyment and progression.

1) Higher tier players play lower tier all the time, in every game I play. This game makes it mandatory for the completion of dailies. That of course could be changed by WG to relieve the problem. It will not keep some from playing tier 1-2 long into their 10,000th game.

2) The planes are easier to control with a mouse then a joystick. The major difference is that a joystick makes it a little easier to fly, while a mouse makes it easier to shoot.

3) There are almost no controls to learn. I could play this game and win with one hand holding the phone. (with a mouse) Hitting the X key is about all you need to learn if flying a HF, F and MR. For ground attack the R and SPACE bar (rockets and bombs.) Three keys...not difficult.

4) BOTS while daunting at first are easier then humans 70% of the time.

5) Veterans wrecking you are a normal progression. What kind of lame gamers do you think you're facing. You are absolutely correct in this one point. If I or almost anyone on these forums were playing at your level we would wreck you. Here's why...you are playing like a noob. When you stop playing like a noob you will be the one that the noobs complain about.

6) Lastly, you are again right, this game is not like other games. You get rewarded for improving your ability beyond engine size, gun output or plane quality. A veteran in a plane two tiers below you, will eat a noob for lunch one on one. Why? Because they put in the time, unlike you...yet. During that time they learned what to do and when to do it. When to dodge, when to attack and who to attack. Which planes to face and which to avoid. Where to be and when to be there. Most importantly they learned how to keep cool under pressure. This is not outside your abilities as well...all you need to do is apply yourself. Till then...you're nothing but a light snack.

Edited by Rosebud, 30 August 2016 - 09:37 PM.

GouIdy #42 Posted 30 August 2016 - 09:32 PM

First Lieutenant

• 6 battles

View PostSOJO, on 30 August 2016 - 04:57 PM, said:

It's called "Crew Acceleration Training"!

I thought it was called W/R recovery?

SOJO #43 Posted 30 August 2016 - 09:33 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 0 battles
  • [SICK] SICK

View PostGouIdy, on 30 August 2016 - 04:32 PM, said:

I thought it was called W/R recovery?

I like that one Gouldy, Good Call! PM your new TS server info - Still have the old. Thanks

Edited by SOJO, 30 August 2016 - 09:34 PM.

MALICE_AT_BIRTH.png

SOJO #44 Posted 30 August 2016 - 09:42 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 0 battles
  • [SICK] SICK

View PostRedSpartacus, on 30 August 2016 - 01:58 PM, said:

This is what I'm trying in tanks but I don't feel welcome :teethhappy:

The Simplicity of WOWP’S Low Population

Besides Wargaming’s F’UPS  i.e. No Advertising, No End Game Content, No Clan Wars, we all know about beating this particular proverbial dead horse –

REF: SOJO is mean – But a factual realist, stats prove competency - 

I have 32,000 plus games in WOT’S 57% Win rate –

WOWP'S – 73% win rate, 17,000 games –

In WOT’S Crap players last longer, more places to hide, the clueless can stay on cap, and wait to be carried, and, with all that -  they still have the possibility to win -  In example -  I am a big Buffoon, I play a KV-5, ding, ding, ding, critical hit -  OH I SURVIVED, I WIN.

In WOWP’s, Crappy player - Example, Less than one minute in the game; SHOT down, WHY - 

• Nowhere to Hide

• Skill or unskilled is immediately evident –

• Common sense rules -  Ignorance and stupidity is punished, immediate and severe; Example, Common sense would dictate as a light fighter I shouldn't attack ground targets at the beginning of the game –  Good players observe this, you know, the ones that have common sense, situational awareness and can multi-task, ANYHOW, Mr. Joe Smuckatelli is attempting to fly his light fighter and is in the tunnel vision process of shooting ground targets; BOOM, less than one minute in the game; EXPLOSION -  DEAD -  End result – Titled as Clueless  (My favorite word that starts with an I and ends with IT.

Conclusion, bad players are the overwhelming majority, Good players; the minority, When there is nowhere to hide in the sky, Getting killed immediately is more profound in WOWP than it is in WOT’S.

Bad players Cry X10 more to Momma Wargaming in WOWP, and end up quitting 10X  quicker.

Point - Bad players will always be bad in WOWP. In WOT they are lucky and believe they are skilled.

It is what it is - 

A flight Sim Demands skill Not Luck, The majority of Bad players are bad, Tanks requires less skill, less situational awareness,and less multi-tasking. In tanks any  ROCK  with a thumb and a heart beat can accomplish a win once in awhile, in WOT'S there is hope for the Terrible; WOWP'S not so much.

Thanks all,

SOJO

MALICE_AT_BIRTH.png

losttwo #45 Posted 30 August 2016 - 09:55 PM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 2218 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

View PostDrewthesteelman, on 30 August 2016 - 03:55 PM, said:

. I was sympathizing with the OP.

That is the problem in the world today.

Here let me show my sympathy by lying to you and making things easier.

pyantoryng #46 Posted 30 August 2016 - 10:17 PM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 1789 battles

No hard cover, being in constant motion, and bullets flying all around you is what differ from the two other titles the most...that and having a third dimension to think about 100% of the time.

Actually, that's what I like about Planes - I'm tired of camping paradigm (meta if you will) that is prevalent in other two titles...

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

SkywhaleExpress #47 Posted 30 August 2016 - 11:30 PM

noob leader

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 4 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostSOJO, on 30 August 2016 - 03:24 PM, said:

LOL, I typed this on my iPhone whilst driving! Excuse the Spelling and grammar.

Just teasin' ya. I love crew acceleramation training!

Air Raid 8 Champions - BrushFyre

MIA - pappabear

FreeFOXMIKE #48 Posted 30 August 2016 - 11:42 PM

G.A.T.P. (Global Alpha Test Pilot)

• 4243 battles
  • [332ND] 332ND

View PostDesmios, on 30 August 2016 - 05:00 AM, said:

For a new player against an experienced one -- and for some reason many experienced pilots fly low tiers --- WoWp is a horrible experience.

It is hard to control without a joystick (+hard in general).  Then there are a TON of controls to know.  People don't know what half the stuff does anyway.  Bots are no fun to face.

Then to top that off, some veteran player comes in your T2/3/4 game and completely wrecks you before you do any damage.

This is not like other games where a new player can have a CHANCE against a veteran player; you just get absolutely 100% wrecked; no hope.

value your imput but how do you get better? Yes the "grind" is hard but it makes you better. As I heard a couch say to players "you wanna get better play against a better player? when asked why 2nd string played against 1st string. and Vet. players go to the lower tiers for three reasons 

1. go get the daily from that AC

2/the look fo potential players to join his group

3 and yes to get a quick score to rack up ,and awards to receive. 

332 Virtual  Fighter  Group

dmarsha9 #49 Posted 31 August 2016 - 12:51 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-

View PostSOJO, on 30 August 2016 - 04:42 PM, said:

Mr. Joe Smuckatelli

After all these years I think I have found my new screen name. Thank You

losttwo #50 Posted 31 August 2016 - 12:52 AM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 2218 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

There is only one team that wins the Super Bowl.

And the skill gap is so large that one team can not even make the playoff.

SOJO #51 Posted 31 August 2016 - 01:19 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 0 battles
  • [SICK] SICK

View Postdmarsha9, on 30 August 2016 - 07:51 PM, said:

After all these years I think I have found my new screen name. Thank You

Do it Marsh! lol

MALICE_AT_BIRTH.png

Tuesdaysgone #52 Posted 31 August 2016 - 01:25 AM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 12 battles
:popcorn:Funny stuff here, that's why I replied That "Gouldy guy" he needs a Atomic wedgie :honoring:

"Virgil Caine is my name, and I served on the Danville train"
Not Scared to play SOLO!

GouIdy #53 Posted 31 August 2016 - 01:46 AM

First Lieutenant

• 6 battles

View PostTuesdaysgone, on 30 August 2016 - 09:25 PM, said:

:popcorn:Funny stuff here, that's why I replied That "Gouldy guy" he needs a Atomic wedgie :honoring:

Hey since Tuesdaysgone shouldn't it be Wednesday?

Psicko23 #54 Posted 31 August 2016 - 02:13 AM

First Lieutenant

• 22 battles
  • [-WS-] -WS-

OP, yes there is a big gap from veteran players and noobs. The only time it might not have been is the day the game started in alpha testing. After that, there will always be a discrepancy of skills between veterans and noobs. Just like you, everyone here was a noob at one time. You need to get seat time in and get help from better players if you want to get better. It took me a few thousand battles to not completely suck.

If you don't have radar enabled, go to settings and enable radar. 

I think joystick is harder to learn, but when you get it figured out, it is much better than mouse. I started on a mouse and played with a mouse for about 14k battles. I've only had the joystick for a few thousand battles, but it is much better in my opinion. Others think the mouse is better. If you want custom settings for your joystick, pm me. 

Desmios #55 Posted 31 August 2016 - 07:03 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1175 battles

Thank you all for your awesome words of encouragement!

I will be sure to tell all my friends and family how supportive many of you have been and to give the game a go!

/sarcasm

To those of you who were actually nice: Thank You.  I am still playing the game and trying to get better.

This wasn't a 'whiney' post, just an observation; but damn, the toxicity came right out.  Posting images of 'participation trophies' and linking to your stats to show how good you are (in an argument with someone else) is just sad.

Edited by Desmios, 31 August 2016 - 07:08 AM.

Snoticus #56 Posted 31 August 2016 - 07:10 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 0 battles
  • [SF] SF

View PostDesmios, on 31 August 2016 - 02:03 AM, said:

Thank you all for your awesome words of encouragement!

I will be sure to tell all my friends and family how supportive many of you have been and to give the game a go!

/sarcasm

To those of you who were actually nice: Thank You.  I am still playing the game and trying to get better.

This wasn't a 'whiney' post, just an observation; but damn, the toxicity came right out.  Posting images of 'participation trophies' and linking to your stats to show how good you are (in an argument with someone else) is just sad.

welcome to the forums....either grow thicker skin..or become one of us.....-gives borg stare-

tlhIngan maH! Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam!

Desmios #57 Posted 31 August 2016 - 07:38 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1175 battles

GOOD NEWS!

So my first game I've played in quite a long, long time.  Not sure if I was against bots or humans, but I shot down 6 planes before a friendly ran into me and dropped me down to 1 HP for an AA gun to kill.

Also not sure how I got the premium plane, but it was my only one, so I figured I'd give it a go.

Couple questions: what is the lightning symbol?  And why is it X/Y under planes? X is kills I assume, what is Y?  Deaths?  Cant you only die once? 

There's still a whole bunch of stuff I don't understand.  I went into the controls and it give me an entire graph with dots I could move up and down to control yaw and pitch (as if I know what they are :sadface:)  Then it asked if I wanted to use my mouse, my keyboard, or both as my priority?  All types of crazy controls...

Also, is there a way to increase speed without engine boosting?  Whenever I hold W, it boosts my engine for X seconds than overheats.  Is that the only way to speed up (aside from a controlled dive XD)?  Do I have a control bound incorrectly?

But lets not spoil the moment; I got quick shot, sky scourge, and ace!!

Edited by Desmios, 31 August 2016 - 07:50 AM.

Snoticus #58 Posted 31 August 2016 - 07:43 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 0 battles
  • [SF] SF

View PostDesmios, on 31 August 2016 - 02:38 AM, said:

GOOD NEWS!

So my first game I've played in quite a long, long time.  Not sure if I was against bots or humans, but I shot down 6 planes before a friendly ran into me and dropped me down to 1 HP for an AA gun to kill.

Also not sure how I got the premium plane, but it was my only one, so I figured I'd give it a go.

Couple questions: what is the lightning symbol?  And why is it X/Y under planes? X is kills I assume, what is Y?  Deaths?  Cant you only die once? 

There's still a whole bunch of stuff I don't understand.  I went into the controls and it give me an entire graph with dots I could move up and down to control yaw and pitch (as if I know what they are :sadface:)  Then it asked if I wanted to use my mouse, my keyboard, or both as my priority?  All types of crazy controls...

lightening is superiority points....the plane symbols is shot down/assisted

Snoticus #59 Posted 31 August 2016 - 07:50 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 0 battles
  • [SF] SF

View PostDesmios, on 31 August 2016 - 02:38 AM, said:

GOOD NEWS!

Also, is there a way to increase speed without engine boosting?  Whenever I hold W, it boosts my engine for X seconds than overheats.  Is that the only way to speed up (aside from a controlled dive XD)?  Do I have a control bound incorrectly?

how do you have a expert hunter mission WITHOUT the REQUIRED spitfire aircraft? those are NOT available in tiers 1-4

Mission 2: Expert Hunter

Goal

Destroy 3 enemy aircraft in one battle flying the required aircraft.

Reward

3 x High-Explosive Incendiary 20” ammunition belt

Conditions

• Must be flying a Spitfire aircraft

from Friday 22 April at 07:10 CEST until Monday 25 April at 07:10 CEST (UTC+2).

Edited by Snoticus, 31 August 2016 - 07:52 AM.

Desmios #60 Posted 31 August 2016 - 07:51 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1175 battles

View PostSnoticus, on 31 August 2016 - 02:43 AM, said:

lightening is superiority points....the plane symbols is shot down/assisted

Do you know if I was against humans and/or bots?  I can't tell from the names.

EDIT: Not sure what you mean about expert hunter mission, my highest plane is T3 IIRC.

Edited by Desmios, 31 August 2016 - 07:51 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users