The Skill Gap Is Too High - New Players Quit Too Quick

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

Desmios #1 Posted 30 August 2016 - 11:00 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 1106 battles

For a new player against an experienced one -- and for some reason many experienced pilots fly low tiers --- WoWp is a horrible experience.

It is hard to control without a joystick (+hard in general).  Then there are a TON of controls to know.  People don't know what half the stuff does anyway.  Bots are no fun to face.

Then to top that off, some veteran player comes in your T2/3/4 game and completely wrecks you before you do any damage.

This is not like other games where a new player can have a CHANCE against a veteran player; you just get absolutely 100% wrecked; no hope.

Edited by Desmios, 30 August 2016 - 11:05 AM.

losttwo #2 Posted 30 August 2016 - 11:11 AM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 0 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

I felt the same way, still feel the same way.

The good news is that this game is even easy enough for a caveman to learn.

It was even harder starting in BETA and going up against players with ALPHA level experience.

Back then every match was all human 15 vs 15 battles with 3 man flights.

Edited by losttwo, 30 August 2016 - 11:16 AM.

MALICE_AT_BIRTH #3 Posted 30 August 2016 - 11:19 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 0 battles
  • [SICK] SICK

View PostDesmios, on 30 August 2016 - 06:00 AM, said:

For a new player against an experienced one -- and for some reason many experienced pilots fly low tiers --- WoWp is a horrible experience.

It is hard to control without a joystick (+hard in general).  Then there are a TON of controls to know.  People don't know what half the stuff does anyway.  Bots are no fun to face.

Then to top that off, some veteran player comes in your T2/3/4 game and completely wrecks you before you do any damage.

This is not like other games where a new player can have a CHANCE against a veteran player; you just get absolutely 100% wrecked; no hope.

Before you leave - Stop by the front desk and pick up your Participation Trophy. 

Edited by SOJO, 30 August 2016 - 09:38 PM.

MALICE_AT_BIRTH.png

DrSinister #4 Posted 30 August 2016 - 11:20 AM

High-Tech Medic

• -Community Ace-
  • 114 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

Correct, this can be painful, but how else would you get better unless you play against someone else that is better.  Playing with the same experienced player will not promote growth in your skills.

I went through this back in Closed Beta especially when there was very little population and veterans were forced to play lower tiers just to get a game (because there was no bots).  I pounded on a lot, but I did not let that curb be from learning the game and learning how to fly and use my joystick to compete.

Now, I am not the best player, and not then worst player, and still have a lot more learning to do, especially that I did not play that many battles in the released version of WoWp, so that I am not as experience as the other veteran players that have thousands of battles under their belt.

The problem also, Wargaming tried to dumb down this game to help out the less experienced but that hurt a lot of the mechanics in this game and push a lot of players away from the game.

Snoticus #5 Posted 30 August 2016 - 11:23 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 0 battles
  • [SF] SF

View PostDesmios, on 30 August 2016 - 06:00 AM, said:

if I Can do it in under two months...so can YOU. thats all im going to say on this matter.

tlhIngan maH! Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam!

RedSpartacus #6 Posted 30 August 2016 - 11:27 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 0 battles
  • [GW__S] GW__S

View PostSnoticus, on 30 August 2016 - 07:23 AM, said:

if I Can do it in under two months...so can YOU. thats all im going to say on this matter.

Only if he/she changes his/her attitude.
  RUN WITH THE PACK

losttwo #7 Posted 30 August 2016 - 11:30 AM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 0 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

You can always dump the wide skill gap game for a tighter skill gap game.

Good luck finding a virgin game however. WOWS I think was the last title and it is now live.

General_Lee_Miserable #8 Posted 30 August 2016 - 12:16 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 317 battles

There IS an issue with seal clubbing in T1 through T3. I see it. I'm not saying that experienced people shouldn't play the lower tiers. I go into T2 and T3 on occasion to work on mechanics if I have a few bad battles in upper tiers.  However, there are certain people that abuse it for the sake of stats. There are a couple of top 50 players that are extremely guilty of that. So, the OP does have a point. 

The only advice I have is to use the training room. Set up some bot battles. You can 100% focus on your flying mechanics without worrying about other humans. 

Edited by Drewthesteelman, 30 August 2016 - 12:16 PM.

GouIdy #9 Posted 30 August 2016 - 12:59 PM

First Lieutenant

• 6 battles

View PostDrewthesteelman, on 30 August 2016 - 08:16 AM, said:

I go into T2 and T3 on occasion to work on mechanics if I have a few bad battles in upper tiers. 

Sure if you call recovering your W/R & boosting your ego by pounding on noobs a game mechanic.

uDmdLNm.jpg

General_Lee_Miserable #10 Posted 30 August 2016 - 01:00 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 317 battles

View PostGouIdy, on 30 August 2016 - 12:59 PM, said:

Sure if you call recovering your W/R & boosting your ego by pounding on noobs a game mechanic.

uDmdLNm.jpg

Average tier of 7.6 the last 2000 battles. 

Mackunaima #11 Posted 30 August 2016 - 01:04 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3 battles

Well, lets state things on the right way:

- First of all, there is no PVP game you can realize and manage it whitout at least 40 hours playing. This is well knowm around game world out there;

- Second - PVP over 3 axis space (space ships, planes or space battles like the old Quake Arena) you can add more 40 hours playing to learn the basics about mechanics;

- Third, when you are facing PVP including bots ( Unreal ), you will face "cheating" bots made to face veteran mate players. Once veteran mate player is dead, you need to face the bot man-o-man. Problably you will die.

Putting aside all WoWP problems as game experience, you untill didn't try this game enough to realize how to handle events in flight.

I know it is not a very good experience, but you didn't give enough time to learn things over here.

Get back and play this more, a lot more.

Regards,

Mack

Edited by Mackunaima, 30 August 2016 - 01:04 PM.

"Certainty of death. Small chance of success. What are we waiting for?" - Gimli

GouIdy #12 Posted 30 August 2016 - 01:04 PM

First Lieutenant

• 6 battles

View PostDrewthesteelman, on 30 August 2016 - 09:00 AM, said:

Average tier of 7.6 the last 2000 battles. 

What does that have anything to do with you saying you go down to tier 2 & 3 to work on game mechanics?

Sassover #13 Posted 30 August 2016 - 01:10 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 172 battles

View PostDesmios, on 30 August 2016 - 05:00 AM, said:

You will either decide you like this game enough to stick it out and gain the experience required to get better at it, or you will decide the game is not worth the effort and quit. If you came here in the hope that WG will further dumb down the game for you, in order to make it more noob friendly, you will get no sympathy here. By the way, I play with a mouse....look up my profile.

General_Lee_Miserable #14 Posted 30 August 2016 - 01:11 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 317 battles

View PostGouIdy, on 30 August 2016 - 01:04 PM, said:

What does that have anything to do with you saying you go down to tier 2 & 3 to work on game mechanics?

It means that its usually 2 battles here and there. 

Edit: 425 of my 7000+ battles are T3 or lower. 

Edited by Drewthesteelman, 30 August 2016 - 01:15 PM.

Porkins_Jr #15 Posted 30 August 2016 - 01:21 PM

Major

• 0 battles
  • [BAGG] BAGG
Another fine reception for a new player on the forums! The streak continues.

Bear_82 #16 Posted 30 August 2016 - 01:22 PM

Command Chief Master Sergeant

• 47 battles
  • [GWG] GWG

OP, I sympathize

Yes, there are a number of veterans (and rerolls) who spend nearly/all their time in low tiers, as if stats will do anything for them in real life

Others of us are there to complete daily missions, and move on

You'll either decide you enjoy the game enough to stick it out, get better, and climb to higher tiers, or you won't. If you stick it out, just about anyone who has posted in this thread will be willing to spend some time with you, in a flight, or one-on-one, you just need to ask

Zapperguy #17 Posted 30 August 2016 - 01:31 PM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 63 battles
  • [CLOWN] CLOWN

The traditional theory here has been it takes 200 battles to not s#ck.  Don't rush to higher tiers in hopes that you will avoid veterans or find a "better plane". You will undoubtedly find better pilots that will chew you up.

Here are some tips I recently posted to another new player looking for advice:

View PostZapperguy, on 15 August 2016 - 09:46 AM, said:

Here are some very basic tips:

• Learn the 4 plane types - Fighter, Multirole Fighter, Heavy Fighter, & Attack Aircraft. You need to understand their strengths and weaknesses not only when you fly them, but when you face them.
  • Don't rush up the tiers thinking a better plane will make the difference. You need to learn to walk before you can run. Take it slow and develop your skills. You'll need them at higher tiers.
  • Don't be first. First to red is usually first dead. If you lead the pack the enemy will see you first and you will have several planes attacking you at once. Hang back in the pack!!!
  • Stay with the pack. In any type of fighter, you need to stay in/very near the pack to get any support. It's easy to stray while chasing, but you have to maintain situational awareness.
  • Situational Awareness comes with experience. Know where you are, what's around you, the status of the supremacy bar, where your team is, and where the enemy is. Try not to lose track of any of it during a battle.
  • Altitude is life. With the exception of Attack Aircraft (often referred to as GAs - ground attack), starting at the top of the green band or a bit above it will give you a better chance to pounce on your prey.
  • Learn energy management. Poor energy management leads to you stuck near the ground in a fighter with no momentum or boost to improve your situation. Keep your speed up and try to save boost for escaping.
  • Don't fight over red. New players are eager to rush out into battle not paying attention to where they are on the map. Enemy AA (anti-aircraft guns) will kill you! Draw then enemy to green and let your AA help.
  • Bombs don't spoil. Don't load bombs planning to hurry up and drop them, then fight planes. You will likely die before you reach a target of value or you'll lose a ton of energy and end up low and vulnerable.
  • Don't let yourself get angry. If you do, walk away for a bit. An angry pilot makes more mistakes and just gets angrier.
  • Watch others after you die. Use the spectate option rather than going back to the hangar. Learn from both the successes and failures of others. See what they are doing differently that has them still alive.
  • Have fun. It's a game. If it becomes a source of nothing but frustration, then you're doing it wrong.

Good Luck!

:honoring:

Hope you find some of this helpful. Don't be afraid to ask questions, and be sure to spend some time here on the forum looking through this section, as well as visiting YouTube to peruse Magus' extensive video collection.

Hope to see you in the skies!

:honoring:

Mackunaima #18 Posted 30 August 2016 - 01:37 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3 battles

This is the most important link in this entire forum.

You can find this on the forum home page, down there at right side called Highest Reputation Content

http://forum.worldof...?/best-content/

Read all that good stuff, a bunch of them are old but usefull. And play again, at least more 40 battles ( 8 battles per hour )

And, aaaaaand watch your replays carefully. You can save your replays checking the box on settings.

Edited by Mackunaima, 30 August 2016 - 01:37 PM.

"Certainty of death. Small chance of success. What are we waiting for?" - Gimli

MelBrooks #19 Posted 30 August 2016 - 02:15 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 12 battles
  • [HVAR] HVAR

OP, it simply has to do with perseverance. I started playing this game shortly after release and took a POUNDING from the fast learners and beta players for months. Just remember that playing more helps increase your awareness and game knowledge. Even with all the games I have played, there is always something to learn about tactics, the planes, and the other players. 

And, yes we do have a lower tier problem beyond belief. WG promotes veteran players to go down to lower tiers to complete missions. This is understandable because they can earn tokens to buy premium time. I do to earn the tokens and then get out of there. But, we do have a large amount of vets that spend a majority of their time down there, or have created secondary accounts to play down there. We have several very colorful commentaries concerning this topic of " stat padders " in the locked thread archive. I have stated my position on this several times before and will refrain again so I do not get a forum vacation again. All I can say to you is that it is still the best 3D aerial combat game IMHO available. If you have the fortitude to tough out the learning process, you will begin to see improvement.

Edited by RuthBuzzi, 30 August 2016 - 02:17 PM.

BrushWolf #20 Posted 30 August 2016 - 02:39 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 80 battles
  • [GWG] GWG
It is a population problem, there are no where near enough new players to be able to put them in their own sandbox for awhile and when that was in the game the new players were learning extremely bad habits because they were never seeing any but other noobs. Hang in there, just play your tier 1's and just worry about working on your skills - the wins will come. Don't be the first plane spotted, you will get mobbed by the bots.

I used to have a handle on life until it broke off.

“The church is near but the road is icy, the tavern is far away but I will walk carefully”

Russian Proverb

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users