• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

GeorgePatton #1 Posted 24 August 2016 - 03:11 AM

газета

• -Community Ace-
  • 1650 battles
  • [SCHLD] SCHLD

Dear Wargaming,

It's been a little over 2 years since the Air Racing Grand Prix was cancelled without notice or explanation. A lot of players would like to see the races return and to that end, I've created a little bit of a 'hype' video with some (admittedly crappy) basic motion graphics for an intro, and a video demonstration of some maneuvers around a potential race course. Fellow forum denizens, please go easy on me - this was literally my first attempt at motion graphics and while I admit that it's crappy, it's not bad for a first go without any plugins. :) (Yes, you can make a shockwave effect without a plugin!)

So, the intro is a basic idea of something the Wargaming artists could put together rather quickly - the whole intro took me (a complete motion graphics beginner) 5 hours to produce including time spent watching tutorials. This should be something they can throw together in an hour tops. My sound design is also admittedly terrible - I grabbed some free sounds and slapped them together without any post work. I'm sure you all have people that could do a much better job of this stuff. This is just a starting point. If you like it enough, we can talk about using the assets I produced or having me tweak them. I'm open to this.

My sincere apologies for the crappy upload quality - YT keeps auto-compressing my uploads to crazy sizes - this was created in 1080p...

The idea for these races would be to utilize maps that have well defined landmarks (like the bridge on Bay) that will not require modding to be understandable. There are four 'quad gates' and a chicane on the base of the bay bridge. There are also 2 sets of 4 vertical gates housed in the cable supports. There's the large unsupported middle section of the bridge which is perfect for barrel roll maneuvers as well as loops and half-loop maneuvers. There are other maps that have more challenging landmarks like El-Haluf which has a bridge with very small gatehouses that an I-16 can pass through, etc. The demonstration track included in the hype video was flown entirely using keyboard and mouse (notice the imperfect vertical on the second split-S through the vertical gates) so at least this race can be flown competitively by all styles of controls.

I am open to developing more tracks with specific numbers of maneuvers and varying levels of difficulty - we can talk about how this will work if Wargaming is interested. I know 6 minutes is too long but I wanted to showcase a lot of different combinations of maneuvers to give an idea of the possibilities for racing. I made sure that as long as players are started on 'Team 1' they will not be subject to anti-aircraft fire so we will not have to worry about that on the Bay map. (The guy says 'anti aircraft fire' or whatever, but you never get hit...)

I developed this track using the He.100 D-1 as it's a freemium plane that most players who actively play the game should have by now and it's fast, lightly armed (we're not going to be using guns anyway...), and very nimble. I also tested the track using the Me.209 V (is that what that thing is called?) and found it to be competitive as well - it swings out longer on the turns, but makes up for that in straight-line speed.

Basic Rule Set: 

Aircraft Restrictions: The air races will be limited to aircraft of the following types:

• He.100 D-1
  • Me.209 V
  • I-21

Aircraft Configuration Restrictions:

• There will be no bombs or rockets allowed in the races. 
  • Any other configuration is allowed.

Aircraft Equipment Restrictions: The air races will restrict the following aircraft equipment:

• None - anything goes!

Race Crew Restrictions: The air races will restrict the following crew skills:

• None - anything goes!

Race Consumable Restrictions: The air races will restrict the following consumable use:

• None - anything goes!

I believe it would be in the administration's best interest to allow all combinations of equipment, crew skills, and consumable use to make judging the competition as easy as possible. 

Rewards:

• 1st Place: 2,500 gold 
  • 2nd Place: 1,500 gold 
  • 3rd Place: 750 gold 

I'm not sure of the feasibility of this, but if WGNA could offer air race participation/trophy emblems, that would be cool too! 

Racing Format:

The races would be held bi-weekly which means a race one week, a week off to practice for the next race, then a race the next week, etc. This allows everyone to prepare for the races and learn the tracks so we won't have a bunch of people with no clue what to do (although I'm sure we'll have those anyway...). There will be 4 groups on a first-come-first-serve basis. Each group will have 15 pilots who will be randomly seeded throughout the 4 groups to be sure we don't have any questions about thrown brackets, etc. Each group will have a 1st place, 2nd place, and 3rd place winner.

How the Race Will Work:

There will be a 'pace plane' behind which everyone will need to 'form up' and follow into the track. When the pace plane goes vertical, the race is on. No use of guns, bombs, or rockets will be allowed. Incidental contact between aircraft is probably going to be unavoidable and as a result we have to say "Crashes happen, tough luck, you'll get a break next time!" - AKA we can't do anything about it - you crash somebody and you take yourself out of the race too so try to avoid it if you want to do well! The first pilot to successfully complete all the required maneuvers in the required order and crash into the designated finish marker will be declared the winner. The second, 2nd place, etc.

This is only a suggestion - it is not meant as a final race design and should be tweaked as Wargaming NA sees fit. I (GeorgePatton) will not be administrating these races and will take no responsibility for any disputes in administration. The limit of my involvement with the design of the races will be (if Wargaming decides not to do this themselves) track design and filming/film design for the races. I will also not be designing any further tracks if this idea is not picked up by Wargaming.net. Please notice that the World of Warplanes logo is a registered trademark of Wargaming.net and was utilized in the creation of a valid fan-art video under the fair use provisions. All other material is property of myself and should not be utilized without permission from myself. (Basically, if Wargaming doesn't pick this up and somebody wants to do it on their own and wants to use my video or video intro, please ask me first!)

Click the Pictures to Visit My YouTube Channel.

Caecias #2 Posted 24 August 2016 - 05:30 AM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 233 battles
Yup :medal:

losttwo #3 Posted 24 August 2016 - 10:18 AM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 6226 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

Jeopardy:

I will take "Racing" for 300 Alex

ALEX " WG answer to Air Racing "

What is :P

GouIdy #4 Posted 24 August 2016 - 01:38 PM

First Lieutenant

• 6 battles

View Postlosttwo, on 24 August 2016 - 06:18 AM, said:

Jeopardy:

I will take "Racing" for 300 Alex

ALEX " WG answer to Air Racing "

What is :P

What is... not enough bandwidth.

Edited by GouIdy, 24 August 2016 - 02:06 PM.

Lou #5 Posted 24 August 2016 - 03:53 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 38 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
I fully endorse this. I had a championship almost wrapped up.

PhoinexFire #6 Posted 24 August 2016 - 05:06 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 5 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS
Would be cool to have air races again.

Sassover #7 Posted 24 August 2016 - 05:47 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 172 battles
If I wanted to play a "racing" game, I would play a racing game. How about instead, some end game content, where you get to shoot stuff !

Noreaga #8 Posted 24 August 2016 - 06:23 PM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 8 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

does anyone remember those videos we would have to make doing crazy and stupid stuff, winner of the best video would get some gold (or was it tokens?).

or am i thinking of the same thing?

Nimis obnoxii curare

GouIdy #9 Posted 24 August 2016 - 06:38 PM

First Lieutenant

• 6 battles

View PostNoreaga, on 24 August 2016 - 02:23 PM, said:

does anyone remember those videos we would have to make doing crazy and stupid stuff, winner of the best video would get some gold (or was it tokens?).

or am i thinking of the same thing?

It was called Follow the Leader, wargaming provided a replay of a certain plane on a mapped out course around, over, under & through objects & it was timed. I think it was the top three best times got gold prizes.

example http://worldofwarpla...w-the-leader-3/

Edited by GouIdy, 24 August 2016 - 06:48 PM.

Noreaga #10 Posted 24 August 2016 - 06:48 PM

Captain

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 8 battles
  • [DRACS] DRACS

View PostGouIdy, on 24 August 2016 - 01:38 PM, said:

It was called Follow the Leader, wargaming provided a replay of a certain plane on a mapped out course around, over, under & through objects & it was timed. I think it was the top three best times got gold prizes.

thanks that was fun, some good laughs.

Nimis obnoxii curare

obamaphone #11 Posted 24 August 2016 - 07:48 PM

Second Lieutenant

• 0 battles

Good idea, this is one we did at Gray Wolf. Would be great to have one for everybody.

GeorgePatton #12 Posted 25 August 2016 - 07:07 PM

газета

• -Community Ace-
  • 1650 battles
  • [SCHLD] SCHLD

Been up for 2 days, no Wargaming response. I am beginning to wonder if they have my posts on ignore. :trollface:

Cheers!
Glenn

Click the Pictures to Visit My YouTube Channel.

Caecias #13 Posted 25 August 2016 - 07:09 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• 233 battles

View Post20thCenturyLtd, on 24 August 2016 - 12:47 PM, said:

If I wanted to play a "racing" game, I would play a racing game. How about instead, some end game content, where you get to shoot stuff !

And to your point, why not a racing game mode with exactly that... obstacles and targets against the clock.  Would be great of honing skills outside of death matches. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users