Bots: Issues to Think About

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

GeorgePatton #1 Posted 16 August 2016 - 08:40 PM

газета

• -Community Ace-
  • 1609 battles
  • [SCHLD] SCHLD

Since I've begun playing the 'Turn and Burn' aircraft lately, I've been noticing a lot of stuff about the bots... 

Scenario 1: As the only player on my team, I'm flying the A7M at maximum altitude, which is about 2800m AGL. My bots don't go above about 3000m because they're trying to 'follow' me. The other team has a player flying a Bf.109Z. He knows his business, so he's sitting somewhere around 3800m AGL. His bots 'follow' him and so they're sitting around 3500 - 4000m. These bots depend a lot on altitude superiority to decide the outcome of engagements. If bot A goes h2h with bot B and bot A is higher, he'll win EVERY time.

This means that my bots are going to get stomped almost instantly because they don't go high enough. I have to dive down to my optimal altitude unless I want to be a kite target for a bunch of 8-bit bots. (See what I did there? Yeah, I know... Cheesy as all get-out but it helps me keep my sanity...)

My bots get stomped, and I end up trying to evade 8 bots and a human. Nothing you can do in that scenario. I've got an 11% win rate on that plane so far and it's not because I don't know how to play.

Feel free to post your own scenarios.

Cheers!
Glenn

Click the Pictures to Visit My YouTube Channel.

pyantoryng #2 Posted 16 August 2016 - 09:07 PM

Colonel

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2231 battles

Bots being herded by players had cause matches to sometimes play out awkwardly...at least, pretty often on Adriatic that both teams can go to totally different directions and not having first contact (GA excluded) for more than a couple minutes in.

Those bots that charged into battles made for funner matches than this herd bots...

WoWP makes a great jousting game...especially with the 262 and people busy in furballs...
I am deaf, silent, and fly with unrealistic controls. Do not count on me to carry - my back's already broken from overweight.

Mackunaima #3 Posted 16 August 2016 - 09:07 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3 battles

I understand your point and it is valid.

But I overcame this problem killing their GAs first. While I was shooting their GAs down they were calling for help. So enemies bots came low to try to save them. This was my equalization point.

A failure solved by using an "exploiting point". The meta game in this game is so poor right now. Just it IMHO.

Regards,

Mack

"Certainty of death. Small chance of success. What are we waiting for?" - Gimli

losttwo #4 Posted 16 August 2016 - 09:26 PM

which way do we go?

• Community Ace
  • 5412 battles
  • [S-S-G] S-S-G

View PostGeorgePatton, on 16 August 2016 - 03:40 PM, said:

Since I've begun playing the 'Turn and Burn' aircraft lately, I've been noticing a lot of stuff about the bots... 

Scenario 1: As the only player on my team, I'm flying the A7M at maximum altitude, which is about 2800m AGL. My bots don't go above about 3000m because they're trying to 'follow' me. The other team has a player flying a Bf.109Z. He knows his business, so he's sitting somewhere around 3800m AGL. His bots 'follow' him and so they're sitting around 3500 - 4000m. These bots depend a lot on altitude superiority to decide the outcome of engagements. If bot A goes h2h with bot B and bot A is higher, he'll win EVERY time.

This means that my bots are going to get stomped almost instantly because they don't go high enough. I have to dive down to my optimal altitude unless I want to be a kite target for a bunch of 8-bit bots. (See what I did there? Yeah, I know... Cheesy as all get-out but it helps me keep my sanity...)

My bots get stomped, and I end up trying to evade 8 bots and a human. Nothing you can do in that scenario. I've got an 11% win rate on that plane so far and it's not because I don't know how to play.

Feel free to post your own scenarios.

Cheers!
Glenn

Yes I have been watching similar instances and have learned to compensate with a little more success.

These matches are still somewhat predictable.

View PostMackunaima, on 16 August 2016 - 04:07 PM, said:

But I overcame this problem killing their GAs first. While I was shooting their GAs down they were calling for help. So enemies bots came low to try to save them. This was my equalization point.

A failure solved by using an "exploiting point". The meta game in this game is so poor right now. Just it IMHO.

Regards,

Mack

and yes. With the exception of when I am in a GA I will climb as high as I can to attempt engagement, do a few coordinated attacks then go to the deck.

Cowboyhiho #5 Posted 16 August 2016 - 09:30 PM

Senior Master Sergeant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 5730 battles
  • [X3M] X3M

View PostMackunaima, on 16 August 2016 - 01:07 PM, said:

Regards,

Mack

hiho Mac, I agree, yours is the strategy I try using in my higher tiers Japanese paper planes. Getting their GA's first, if possible, gets my best results. :teethhappy:

Tophatfire #6 Posted 16 August 2016 - 09:36 PM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

View PostMackunaima, on 16 August 2016 - 05:07 PM, said:

The meta game in this game is so poor right now. 

Yep. 

And it leads people to do silly things like abandon their team to orbit their base at low altitude hoping to draw the bots in.  The game is beyond dumb now.

Mackunaima #7 Posted 16 August 2016 - 09:37 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3 battles

View PostCowboyhiho, on 16 August 2016 - 06:30 PM, said:

hiho Mac, I agree, yours is the strategy I try using in my higher tiers Japanese paper planes. Getting their GA's first, if possible, gets my best results. :teethhappy:

Killing GAs you force them to come low and kill their chances of progression on deck.

GouIdy #8 Posted 16 August 2016 - 09:49 PM

First Lieutenant

• 6 battles
You should get some tips from Drew, he thinks the A7M is one of the best planes in the game & has amazing stats in it to back that up.

Mackunaima #9 Posted 16 August 2016 - 10:35 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3 battles

View PostGouIdy, on 16 August 2016 - 06:49 PM, said:

You should get some tips from Drew, he thinks the A7M is one of the best planes in the game & has amazing stats in it to back that up.

WAT?

GouIdy #10 Posted 16 August 2016 - 10:36 PM

First Lieutenant

• 6 battles

View PostMackunaima, on 16 August 2016 - 06:35 PM, said:

WAT?

#TAKEABREAK

dityboycom #11 Posted 16 August 2016 - 10:43 PM

Colonel

• 1 battle
  • [BAGG] BAGG
Take a break!

Mackunaima #12 Posted 16 August 2016 - 11:00 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 3 battles

View PostGouIdy, on 16 August 2016 - 07:36 PM, said:

#TAKEABREAK

View Postdityboycom, on 16 August 2016 - 07:43 PM, said:

Take a break!

:trollface:

I didn't figure out he could do heads on up side down on A7

Edited by Mackunaima, 16 August 2016 - 11:01 PM.

Chuck_norris10 #13 Posted 16 August 2016 - 11:45 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2480 battles
  • [300SP] 300SP

I've been shaking the bots at the start by flying to the border away from them to get altitude then turning back to the main melee and most times i'm above everyone and the furball below is just starting.

I'm not sure what they did to the bots but I'm getting lots of aces and major kills almost every game,win or lose.

Kinda sucks the fun out of it.

GeorgePatton #14 Posted 16 August 2016 - 11:58 PM

газета

• -Community Ace-
  • 1609 battles
  • [SCHLD] SCHLD

View PostChuck_norris10, on 16 August 2016 - 06:45 PM, said:

I've been shaking the bots at the start by flying to the border away from them to get altitude then turning back to the main melee and most times i'm above everyone and the furball below is just starting.

I'm not sure what they did to the bots but I'm getting lots of aces and major kills almost every game,win or lose.

Kinda sucks the fun out of it.

I think you missed a major part of the issue I found - this is specifically in low altitude aircraft where climbing above everybody isn't an option. I do agree with your statement when I'm flying a heavy though!

Cheers!
Glenn

Click the Pictures to Visit My YouTube Channel.

Chuck_norris10 #15 Posted 17 August 2016 - 12:23 AM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2480 battles
  • [300SP] 300SP

View PostGeorgePatton, on 16 August 2016 - 04:58 PM, said:

I think you missed a major part of the issue I found - this is specifically in low altitude aircraft where climbing above everybody isn't an option. I do agree with your statement when I'm flying a heavy though!

Cheers!
Glenn

The reason I fly to the border is to get higher as it usually takes longer to get in the red on the altimeter with some of my planes and it buys me time to do it.

I do this with both my stukas and other ZNB and TNB planes. 

I rarely see anyone higher then me when I get over the furball.

Tophatfire #16 Posted 17 August 2016 - 01:35 AM

First Lieutenant

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 0 battles
  • [3NIC] 3NIC

View PostGeorgePatton, on 16 August 2016 - 07:58 PM, said:

You're overestimating how novel this "insight" is.  People have been saying the meta is broken for literally months now.  You want to win, fly in a flight of HF.  You want work on a low alt turner, you need to be in a flight or just accept that each match is a tossup that's essentially out of your control.

And the A7M at least has a relative chance at tier 7.  Wait till you jet to the J7W2 against flights of HG2 and F2H.

Snoticus #17 Posted 17 August 2016 - 08:24 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 0 battles
  • [SF] SF

View PostMackunaima, on 16 August 2016 - 04:07 PM, said:

Regards,

Mack

...i spend half my match running and asking for help..very rarely do i receive it..STOP shooting my angels! lmbo

Edited by Snoticus, 17 August 2016 - 11:30 AM.

tlhIngan maH! Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam!

Snoticus #18 Posted 17 August 2016 - 08:27 AM

Second Lieutenant

• 0 battles
  • [SF] SF

View PostFadStatement, on 16 August 2016 - 04:36 PM, said:

Yep. 

And it leads people to do silly things like abandon their team to orbit their base at low altitude hoping to draw the bots in.  The game is beyond dumb now.

yep..saw that yesterday....by someone..who is..posting in this forum with the rest of us....
tlhIngan maH! Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam!

Chuck_norris10 #19 Posted 17 August 2016 - 12:11 PM

Major

• Closed Beta Tester
  • 2480 battles
  • [300SP] 300SP

I fly alone all the time and I get most of my kills clearing 6's unless im hunting ju88's and il's which is my favourite past time.If they are in the game I will be on the deck looking for them,skimming treetops if need be.

and hiding from those darn A7's.

Fly with the bots,die with the bots.

dityboycom #20 Posted 17 August 2016 - 12:14 PM

Colonel

• 1 battle
  • [BAGG] BAGG
I take my bots to the sun. Win every time, unless I'm not the flag bearer. Whenever I'm not the flag bearer I lose, I always pray for 1v1, who needs people to ruin the game for them? 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users